Anyone hear from Baylor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have another...area of concern, y'all...mostly for those of you who are headed to a Texas school. Apparently, Baylor offers no more invitations to students holding a Texas medical school after June 15. So, if they end up waiting until...like, May, we may end up screwed - they'd accept some students, then have to wait a while (for a response), the accept more, and so on.

Does anyone know if, at some point, Baylor will just start skipping over us? Or, will they ensure that there spots are filled before June 15?

They would have to ensure our spots before then. I'm pretty sure 75% of their class has to be from TX or they are gonna be in trouble from the TX legislature.

Members don't see this ad.

that sounds about right

while i love the use of the conjunction "y'all", i have to laugh at your "proper" use of it....in louisiana, we ignore that the "you + all" should be spelled "y'all" and typically spell it "ya'll"....hmmm...so, i guess i'm really just laughing at myself.... :laugh:

...sorry if i don't make sense...it's past midnight and i'm in the lab again...

Hahaha, honestly I have no idea how its supposed to be spelled...although I was right about it having an apostrophe!!

*feels slightly insecure about whether he is really a Texan or a Yankee imposter*

Members don't see this ad :)
Rather than create an entire thread about it (which I'll probably end up doing anyway :laugh:), since I'm interested in applying to Baylor, but reside in Massachusetts, how are my chances of acceptance assuming my stats are competitive. I know its a private institution, but I assume state residency makes somewhat of a difference because they would want you to end up practicing medicine in Texas.

I have it good here in the academic mecca of MA because Umass only accepts in state residents, but we all have to expand our horizons because lets face it, not all of us can attend Harvard and Tufts.

I have the same issue with Colorado, which I would love to attend, but I'm also not sure of their out of state acceptance rates... Any help would be fantastic, and

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE 2007 APPLICANTS!

Rather than create an entire thread about it (which I'll probably end up doing anyway :laugh:), since I'm interested in applying to Baylor, but reside in Massachusetts, how are my chances of acceptance assuming my stats are competitive. I know its a private institution, but I assume state residency makes somewhat of a difference because they would want you to end up practicing medicine in Texas.

I have it good here in the academic mecca of MA because Umass only accepts in state residents, but we all have to expand our horizons because lets face it, not all of us can attend Harvard and Tufts.

I have the same issue with Colorado, which I would love to attend, but I'm also not sure of their out of state acceptance rates... Any help would be fantastic, and

GOOD LUCK TO ALL THE 2007 APPLICANTS!
Although Baylor is a private school, it receives some funding from the state. As a result, Baylor has committed itself to fill its class with 70+% in-state students. So, in that respect, your chances will be better than the typical OOS applicant to an OOS state school, but obviously the deck is stacked slightly against OOS applicants.

Anastasis! Congrats, I think that's the best news I've heard from Baylor in a while! :)

I just got the call. I'm in.

And in complete and utter shock. :wow:

Sweeeet!! Congrats. It sounds like March 14-15 was more accurate, rather than "4 to 6 weeks"...thank god, at least hopefully we'll all know soon.

PS: When did you interview? Was it this year or way back in the '70s like some of us? :)

I just got the call. I'm in.

And in complete and utter shock. :wow:

:clap: :clap: :clap: I knew that you'd get in. Is that where you'll be heading then?

Thanks for all of your advice about Baylor and the interivew day. :thumbup: I loved it there and hope that I get the call, too (although I'm in Japan right now so I hope that they also email accepted students)!

CONGRATS! that is great news!!!! doesn't that feeling of "shock" feel so good, though!?!?

of course we all want to know...when did you interview and good tidbits of info like that.... ;)
I interviewed in November - actually I had to move it since they scheduled it originally the same day as Michigan (and I'd already bought tickets).

Thanks for all the good wishes guys :) I've got a hard decision to make now. But a happy one - I'll be a doctor either way!

Hahaha, congratulations. At least someone is hearing from them :)

Yeah, it seems weird that no one else on SDN got a call today (in no way saying you're making it up, congrats again!)...Baylor is so weird!!! Perhaps more of us will hear tomorrow....

I emailed them a few days ago and they said (some email-sorting person) that they'd forward "my continued interest in BCM to the Sr. Academic Dean for Admissions" or something like that. Sounds like "You're waitlisted but I can't tell you that." :( I'm even IS...

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it seems weird that no one else on SDN got a call today (in no way saying you're making it up, congrats again!)...Baylor is so weird!!! Perhaps more of us will hear tomorrow....

I emailed them a few days ago and they said (some email-sorting person) that they'd forward "my continued interest in BCM to the Sr. Academic Dean for Admissions" or something like that. Sounds like "You're waitlisted but I can't tell you that." :( I'm even IS...

Maybe someone else got the call as well and that person is still trying to pick themselves off the floor? My guess is that the dean calls more than one person in a "batch" when he makes those calls.

FWIW, I was just told that they are working hard to complete their in-state class, so all of you Texans should hear something soon. OTOH, I'm an out of stater and was told that as a result I probably won't hear anything until May 15th or after. Maybe that just means that I have been waitlisted and she didn't have the heart to tell me over the phone. Damn, I really liked Baylor, too.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone.

i'm curious....who did you talk to? i'm impressed you got so much information! :)

Sorry, can't remember. She very patient with my questions, though, more so than usual at Baylor. She said it was pretty hectic there, as they are trying to wrap up their IS admissions.

that's depressing. they are done with OOS? i just sent them the most beautiful interest letter/update letter too. i'm gonna be an optimist and keep my fingers crossed for tomorrow or next week.

FWIW, I was just told that they are working hard to complete their in-state class, so all of you Texans should hear something soon. OTOH, I'm an out of stater and was told that as a result I probably won't hear anything until May 15th or after. Maybe that just means that I have been waitlisted and she didn't have the heart to tell me over the phone. Damn, I really liked Baylor, too.

Anyway, best of luck to everyone.

that just squeezed out the last hope i had.

Apply to Baylor. It's a great school and it's dirt cheap.

I just really want to go to Baylor!!!!!!!!!

So if we're in-state, does this mean we're done, or might we still hear something?

Congratulations Anastasis!!!
soooo happy for you :)
for those of us desperately waiting to hear back...does anyone know anybody else who is not on sdn that got the call yday....i'm like getting jittery now...but know better than to expect a call.....
darn this anxiety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that just squeezed out the last hope i had.

Booties, I think that what I was told was completely dependant on my application and not applicable to all OOS applicants. I think that I was very borderline stat-wise coming in, so I would not be surprised if I was waitlisted or even rejected (even though I think that my interviews went well). Your stats are off the chart. I'd give it a bit more time before I threw in the towel if I were you. :thumbup: I was told that right now Baylor is focusing on Texas residents, but I assume that once that is over we OOS applicants will be given a final consideration.

I wonder when they will start sending out in-state rejections

No call yet today (i'm instate) to ease my harvard rejection blues...alas.

hi jennifer,

yeah that's essentially the same thing she told me when I called last week...at least is sounds better than post-May 15!

....and i didn't have the nerve to ask more questions...i already felt bad for taking her time because i knew how busy she was....

I can just picture the admissions office, which was dead-silent and super relaxed when I interviewed in October (or was it September? sometime back in 1981...)...in total chaos now!! Poor people...At least their job isn't too stressful in say, July? Or maybe it's up and down madness all year around...

Booties, I think that what I was told was completely dependant on my application and not applicable to all OOS applicants. I think that I was very borderline stat-wise coming in, so I would not be surprised if I was waitlisted or even rejected (even though I think that my interviews went well). Your stats are off the chart. I'd give it a bit more time before I threw in the towel if I were you. :thumbup: I was told that right now Baylor is focusing on Texas residents, but I assume that once that is over we OOS applicants will be given a final consideration.

How do you know what his stats are? I've seen a number of people talk about other peoples stats, as if they're listed somewhere. And...I want to compare them to my own.

How do you know what his stats are? I've seen a number of people talk about other peoples stats, as if they're listed somewhere. And...I want to compare them to my own.

sigh.. It's a long waiting game <<- his sig

edit: hey booties, glad to see i'm not the only one w/ higher than average MCAT (granted yours is hella better than mine) and GPA that got waitlisted at vandy and was otherwise shafted at various schools. Let's be rejected-by-schools-we-thought-we'd-easily-get-into buddies.

sigh.. It's a long waiting game <<- his sig

edit: hey booties, glad to see i'm not the only one w/ higher than average MCAT (granted yours is hella better than mine) and GPA that got waitlisted at vandy and was otherwise shafted at various schools. Let's be rejected-by-schools-we-thought-we'd-easily-get-into buddies.

Oh, thanks for showing how to do so. Those are definitely high stats.

i've been very unsuccessful this year in the process (I can't complain about NW though! i'm delighted about that) I will sometime go to UCSF admissions office which is only 9 stairs down from where I work and ask what was my weak point.. but again, fingers crossed for baylor.

i've been very unsuccessful this year in the process (I can't complain about NW though! i'm delighted about that) I will sometime go to UCSF admissions office which is only 9 stairs down from where I work and ask what was my weak point.. but again, fingers crossed for baylor.

Hey, don't feel too bad...I'm in almost the same stats boat as you, and you've got a much better acceptance. When I'm in a blaming mood I blame it on being from California!

darrnn..all of you have so much better stats than i have! all i have is a high gpa and am in instater, but a lower than avg. mcat...i wonder if they will even consider me
yet..i have this far fetched false hope that i will receive a phone call any minute..any hour ..any day
darn the human psyche!!!!!!
I'M JUST SO DAMN DESPERATE TO HEAR BACK FROM THIS SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!

on a side note...
did ANYONE hear about baylor making calls at all today???? 'cuz i know some ppl were talking 'bout how they would make calls yday and today? i haven't seen anything on sdn..but if someone knows someone who's partying their lives away and would like to inform all of us poor, desperate folks here it would be nice!!!

on a side note...
did ANYONE hear about baylor making calls at all today???? 'cuz i know some ppl were talking 'bout how they would make calls yday and today? i haven't seen anything on sdn..but if someone knows someone who's partying their lives away and would like to inform all of us poor, desperate folks here it would be nice!!!

Yesterday was match day. Take a look at the www.bcm.edu web site and click on the match day news article. You can see the 4th years doing their thing (slideshow & Real video). I'm quite sure that this was the focus yesterday (and maybe they are a little bit pooped right now). Now that this is out of the way, maybe they can start calling the newest applicants!! Hopefully lots of calls will be happening today & next week.

(NOTE: I have no inside information on this ... but I think it's fair to say that Match day is a big deal and everyone was pretty excited about that. Also, I don't know if BCM has released the 2007 match list like some of the other schools )

Yesterday was match day. Take a look at the www.bcm.edu web site and click on the match day news article. You can see the 4th years doing their thing (slideshow & Real video). I'm quite sure that this was the focus yesterday (and maybe they are a little bit pooped right now). Now that this is out of the way, maybe they can start calling the newest applicants!! Hopefully lots of calls will be happening today & next week.

(NOTE: I have no inside information on this ... but I think it's fair to say that Match day is a big deal and everyone was pretty excited about that. Also, I don't know if BCM has released the 2007 match list like some of the other schools )

you're right!
i've been thinking about match day a lot and wondering what i will be doing 4 years from now, but i never correlated the two together and forgot that the admissions office were definitely be busy with that yesterday!!!!
ok...now for another week of nervously waiting and not getting disappointed that i didn't get a call this week!!!

you're right!
i've been thinking about match day a lot and wondering what i will be doing 4 years from now, but i never correlated the two together and forgot that the admissions office were definitely be busy with that yesterday!!!!
ok...now for another week of nervously waiting and not getting disappointed that i didn't get a call this week!!!

I wonder how Match day compares with medical school admissions. I suppose a lot of people like the certainty of a Match (when it works). I guess you are probably wishing that medical school operated on a Match as well as opposed to this rolling admissions system.

darrnn..all of you have so much better stats than i have! all i have is a high gpa and am in instater, but a lower than avg. mcat...i wonder if they will even consider me
yet..i have this far fetched false hope that i will receive a phone call any minute..any hour ..any day
darn the human psyche!!!!!!
I'M JUST SO DAMN DESPERATE TO HEAR BACK FROM THIS SCHOOL!!!!!!!!!
Lower than Baylor avg MCAT is still a baller MCAT :laugh:

I'm the reverse: Low GPA, High MCAT. Try not to stress :luck:

just wondering....does anyone know how much movement baylor typically gets on its waitlist...not giving up hope yet, just expecting a waitlist notification.

Nothing much to do at the lab today, so I called them up.

"admissions committee is still finalizing their decisions, there is no date set yet for all the decisions to be mailed, but it will be soon"

no help :/

Nothing much to do at the lab today, so I called them up.

"admissions committee is still finalizing their decisions, there is no date set yet for all the decisions to be mailed, but it will be soon"

no help :/

What does that mean? Are they coming to a point where they'll mail out rejections and waitlists at one time?

Does anyone know if the rest of the class has finally been filled? Or are they going to end up with a day where they notify a large number of people of their acceptances?

So, I called the admissions last week. And they said that the class was already full and all acceptees should have gotten a call. Also, she said that if you were rejected, you should have gotten the letters by then as they also finished sending out all rejection letters a while back. She then checked my status and said that there's nothing/no final decision on my application and told me someone would call me back. Then nothing happened/no mail/call after that conversation. I don't know what to interprete with this...but just to share the story with you guys. Anyways, isnt' baylor second look this weekend?

So, I called the admissions last week. And they said that the class was already full and all acceptees should have gotten a call. Also, she said that if you were rejected, you should have gotten the letters by then as they also finished sending out all rejection letters a while back. She then checked my status and said that there's nothing/no final decision on my application and told me someone would call me back. Then nothing happened/no mail/call after that conversation. I don't know what to interprete with this...but just to share the story with you guys. Anyways, isnt' baylor second look this weekend?

I don't think anyone in admissions knows what is going on except for the 3 deans.

I also don't think anyone has received a post-interview rejection or waitlist notification.