AP credit for BIO in Texas schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wannabeaPT96

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey y'all. So I just recently found out that some schools don't accept AP credit. With that said, I came into university (I attend UT Austin) with both Bio 1 and 2, both with labs, from high school with AP credits. I'm applying this summer and really worried that most Texas schools won't accept this. I don't have time to take both bios with lab during summer so this is definitely an issue for me. My advisor did not mention this to me at all.

Does anyone know anything about this or willing to share their experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey y'all. So I just recently found out that some schools don't accept AP credit. With that said, I came into university (I attend UT Austin) with both Bio 1 and 2, both with labs, from high school with AP credits. I'm applying this summer and really worried that most Texas schools won't accept this. I don't have time to take both bios with lab during summer so this is definitely an issue for me. My advisor did not mention this to me at all.

Does anyone know anything about this or willing to share their experience?

If you can't take both over the summer, try to take at least one and you can do the other in the fall for academic update. A lot of schools will allow you to apply with a prereq or two still pending (check the schools policies)

At this point you need to be looking up how to apply to schools/ requirements/ etc on your own. I'm sure college advisers do a lot of good, but they have never applied to PT school, or looked into the programs that you want to apply to. Do your own research and you'll be able to avoid anything else popping up like this as you go.

If you can't take both over the summer, try to take at least one and you can do the other in the fall for academic update. A lot of schools will allow you to apply with a prereq or two still pending (check the schools policies)

At this point you need to be looking up how to apply to schools/ requirements/ etc on your own. I'm sure college advisers do a lot of good, but they have never applied to PT school, or looked into the programs that you want to apply to. Do your own research and you'll be able to avoid anything else popping up like this as you go.

My advisor is specific to KIN majors, so she deals with PT students all the time. Although I have done extensive research on applying, I've never come across this on any of the (public) Texas school PT websites. I assumed that my advisor would know. As for taking bio in summer, my plan was to take physics (I still need both), so that would leave me with too many outstanding prerequisites to apply I think. Thank you for your input though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Call each Texas' school PT department and ask them directly. It's about 10ish phone calls and you'll have your answer directly and you can plan how to go from there.

Reactions: 1 users
My advisor is specific to KIN majors, so she deals with PT students all the time. Although I have done extensive research on applying, I've never come across this on any of the (public) Texas school PT websites. I assumed that my advisor would know. As for taking bio in summer, my plan was to take physics (I still need both), so that would leave me with too many outstanding prerequisites to apply I think. Thank you for your input though.
I can only speak to the programs I applied to/researched but a few allowed 2 at the time of applying, so if you have any deadlines after the summer semester is completed you'd be okay to apply with the 2. Again check all the schools you are interested in, see what they require and apply to the ones you can.

Best of luck