PhD/PsyD APPIC internship phase II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smashsmash

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!
I'm a canadian psyd in phase II of the APPIC match process. I'm interested in casting a wide met to increase my chances of matching, so I'm planning on applying to US sites in this round. Does anyone have suggestions for sites that have a more psychodynamic, interpersonal or experiential approach to therapy? Or sites that offer an opportunity to do couples or family therapy?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know about the orientations, but you can search the APPIC directory online for sites that list couples therapy or family therapy as training options (see attached Excel), and then once you get the (relatively long) list, you can download the results into Excel and compare them to the sites that are still in Phase II. The list of participating internships for Phase II is here: https://www.natmatch.com/cgibin/instdisp.pl

Attachments

• APPIC_directory_search_results.xls
    69 KB · Views: 132
Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure you are willing to go to a UCC, but UAlbany Counseling Center may be a good option for you, many different opportunities there and psychodynamic focus. PM me if you would like more info.

Hi all!
I'm a canadian psyd in phase II of the APPIC match process. I'm interested in casting a wide met to increase my chances of matching, so I'm planning on applying to US sites in this round. Does anyone have suggestions for sites that have a more psychodynamic, interpersonal or experiential approach to therapy? Or sites that offer an opportunity to do couples or family therapy?
Thanks!

You may know this already from your Canadian applications, but Saskatoon has a very psychodynamic approach in their health rotation.

A number of APA Phase 2 sites have multiple openings. I see that one consortium that used to be tied in with Forest Institute has 8 openings in Missouri and 1 opening in Indiana and it is APA accredited. Must not have had many applicants since Forest is now closed.

Amazing the number of APA sites with 3 or more openings.

Last edited:
That's a great tip! I've just started looking into Saskatoon!
You may know this already from your Canadian applications, but Saskatoon has a very psychodynamic approach in their health rotation.

Reactions: 1 user
Below are some NY sites in the Phase II list that will either welcome psychodynamic conceptualizations or be forgiving of this training ;) (I know folks from more psychodynamic but balanced programs attend some of these sites in the past). I could be wrong about 1-2 of these sites, but overall I glanced over ones I'm familiar with (having gone to a balanced psychodynamic program in the NY area), but still make sure you have your CBT 'toolbox' ready in case they ask what EBTs you're using. Good luck in your search and interviews! :luck:

(I would encourage APA sites, OP, but sounds like you may be Canadian so accredited sites may not be an issue if you practice there - I dunno - so I didn't remove unaccredited sites.)

Derner Institute Internship Consortium
City: Garden City ‎
Director: Jonathan Jackson, PhD
Telephone: (516) 877-4823
Email: [email protected]
APA Accreditation: Not Accredited
APPIC Member: Yes
View Address

Program Code: 222416 Openings: 1
Derner Internship LBR

Westchester Jewish Community Services
City: Hartsdale
Director: Liane Nelson, PhD
Telephone: (914) 949-7699 EXT 475
APA Accreditation: Accredited
View Address

Program Code: 146012 Openings: 1
Psychology Internship

Central New York Psychiatric Center
City: Marcy
Director: Nichole Marioni, PhD, ABPP
Telephone: (315) 765-3656
APPIC Member: No
View Address

Program Code: 233011 Openings: 2
Psychology Internship

VA Hudson Valley Health Care System
City: Montrose
Director: Thomas Stracuzzi, PhD
Telephone: (914) 737-4400 EXT 2302
View Address

Program Code: 146311 Openings: 3
Psychology Internship

University of Rochester - Counseling
City: Rochester
Director: Brigid Cahill, PhD
Telephone: (585) 275-3113
View Address

Program Code: 149112 Openings: 1
Psychology Internship (Part Time)

Staten Island University Hospital
City: Staten Island
Director: Rosemarie Basile
Telephone: (718) 226-6501
View Address

Program Code: 223711 Openings: 1
Psychology Internship

Mercyfirst
City: Syosset
Director: Stephen Migden PhD, ABPP
Telephone: (516) 921-0808 EXT 815
View Address

Program Code: 149313 Openings: 1
General Internship - Brooklyn

Andrus Children's Center
City: Yonkers
Director: Jonathan Cohen, PhD
Telephone: (914) 949-7680 EXT 2210
View Address

Program Code: 149811 Openings: 7
Child Outpatient

Last edited:
Hi all!
Thanks!

Strong recommend for Suny Upstate Medical University-Syracuse, NY / Adult Track / 149512. This site offers supervision primarily from a dynamic or interpersonal orientation. You might be able to arrange for some couples experience as an enrichment / supplemental rotation.

I'd second CheetahGirl's Hudson Valley VA - Montrose, NY recommend as well.

Just saw VA Central Iowa - Des Moines has an opening this round. I had an incredible experience with this site and would highly recommend!!

Hi all!
...Does anyone have suggestions for sites that have a more psychodynamic, interpersonal or experiential approach to therapy? Or sites that offer an opportunity to do couples or family therapy?
Thanks!

I'd also suggest Reading Hospital, West Reading, PA - 154911. Very dynamic in focus, couples / family work definitely an option here.

Just saw VA Central Iowa - Des Moines has an opening this round. I had an incredible experience with this site and would highly recommend!!
DITTO! This site is incredible. I think if it were in any major metropolitan area, it would be in much higher demand. The staff there are fantastic.

Does anyone know why Florida State U has 4 openings for phase II...has anyone interviewed there or heard anything?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,
Is this the Phase II thread for this year 2016-2017 internship year? I didn't match :( Just wondering if anyone knows when they start contacting for interviews this time around? My cohort already had a call Friday afternoon. She had started re-applying right away however...Thanks, good luck to everyone who didn't match, and CONGRATS to those who did!

Does anyone know why Florida State U has 4 openings for phase II...has anyone interviewed there or heard anything?
I was wondering about that, too. They are a great site, so I was very surprised to see the numerous spots available. I was previously there as a practicum student and loved it at that site. Excellent training and supportive staff. I don't think much has changed since I left, but am still unsure why they didn't match.

Hi all,
Is this the Phase II thread for this year 2016-2017 internship year? I didn't match :( Just wondering if anyone knows when they start contacting for interviews this time around? My cohort already had a call Friday afternoon. She had started re-applying right away however...Thanks, good luck to everyone who didn't match, and CONGRATS to those who did!

I didn't match either. I was thinking of starting a new Phase II thread for those of use who did not match.

Reactions: 1 users
I didn't match either!

Has anyone heard back from any of the sites they applied too on Thursday?

I went through Phase II last year and matched at a great site. I heard back from some sites right away (within 3 days) and some sites (including the one I matched at ultimately) up until a week before ranking. It really varies based on the site. Good luck! Most of my interviews were phone interviews and 25% of them were Skype.

I didn't match either!

Has anyone heard back from any of the sites they applied too on Thursday?

I haven't heard from anywhere yet, I applied to only five more places though (I'm applying to Neuro spots and I didn't want to stretch myself to somewhere I did not really like). I hope you hear from your sites soon.

I went through Phase II last year and matched at a great site. I heard back from some sites right away (within 3 days) and some sites (including the one I matched at ultimately) up until a week before ranking. It really varies based on the site. Good luck! Most of my interviews were phone interviews and 25% of them were Skype.

Thank you for sharing, that gives me hope. Would you mind sharing what kind of questions did you get in those interviews? Did they ask about your Phase I experience?

I'm happy to share Phase II interview updates but would feel much more comfortable doing so via PM. Anyone up for starting the interview thread? :)

i received interview invitations as southwest behavioral and health associates in AZ and park place behavioral health in FL. Waiting on 8 more. Good luck to everyone in phase 2!

Reactions: 2 users
Allendale Association in Lake Villa, IL has a psychodynamic slant. They are APA accredited but seem to have trouble filing all of their slots.

I haven't heard from anywhere yet, I applied to only five more places though (I'm applying to Neuro spots and I didn't want to stretch myself to somewhere I did not really like). I hope you hear from your sites soon.

Thanks! I haven't heard anything from the sites I applied too. Mostly counseling centers! Wishing everyone good luck! We got this :)

I didn't match in Phase I either and am aiming for neuro. There are slim pickings in Phase II. Best of luck with your search this time around!

Feel free to PM me to commiserate about the neuro application let down.

For predoctoral there are few Neuro slots, but there are many more for postdoctoral two-year Neuro Fellowships and a number of these go unfilled.

Since predoc is required to have broad based training to meet APA accreditation requirements a site is restricted from only being Neuro.

You need to apply broadly based to match and do the Neuro in postdoc is my recommendation, if you want to match in Phase II.

You may need to follow up with your DCT and apply broad based to increase your odds of matching. Seek out sites that have a Neuropsychologist but are broad based. Your internship normally goes by so quickly with quarterly changes of rotations that even at Neuro sites you only have one rotations and only do 3-5 Neuropsych Evals.

For predoctoral there are few Neuro slots, but there are many more for postdoctoral two-year Neuro Fellowships and a number of these go unfilled.

Since predoc is required to have broad based training to meet APA accreditation requirements a site is restricted from only being Neuro.

You need to apply broadly based to match and do the Neuro in postdoc is my recommendation, if you want to match in Phase II.

You may need to follow up with your DCT and apply broad based to increase your odds of matching. Seek out sites that have a Neuropsychologist but are broad based. Your internship normally goes by so quickly with quarterly changes of rotations that even at Neuro sites you only have one rotations and only do 3-5 Neuropsych Evals.

Most of this advice is just awful.

1. Post-doc in neuro at reputable and legitimate training sites is competitive.

2. I dont know what "broadly based" means, and no, this is not an "APA accreditation requirement." If neuropsych is the goal, aim for neuropsych focused internships, which can offer close to 50% neuro. If you don't get one, its not the end of the world, but this helps when applying for post-docs significantly. The fact that a site has a neuropsychologist on staff does not necessarily;ly mean they can supply a rotation or any substantial clinical training in neuropsychology. Our facility has 3 FT npsychs, and we just cant do it due to a variety of reasons.

3. Quarterly rotations are not the norm, although certainly there are sites where this is how training is done. I am not a neuropsychologist, nor was on that track, and I did about 10 neuropsych evals on a npsych minor rotation during my internship year.

Last edited:
Most of this advice is just awful.

1. Post-doc in neuro at reputable and legitimate training sites is competitive.

2. I dont know what "broadly based" means, and no, this is not an "APA accreditation requirement." If neurpsych is the goal, aim for neuropsych focused internships, which will offer close to 50% neuro. If you don't get one, its not the end of the world, but this helps when applying for post-docs significantly. The fact that a site has a neuropsychologist on staff does not necessarily;ly mean they can supply a rotation or any substantial clinical training in neuropsychology. Our facility has 3 FT npsychs, and we just cant do it due to a variety of reasons.

3. Quarterly rotations are not the norm, although certainly there are sites where this is how training is done. I am not a neuropsychologist, not was on on that track, and I did about 10 neuropsych evals on a npsych minor rotation during my internship year.
[/QUOTE]

Breath and broadly based are APA accreditation requirements. We are clinical psychologist first and neuropsychology training is postdoctoral. There are a number of postdoc Neuro slots that go unfilled every year.

It is important to do an APA Accredited predoc and two-years neuropsych postdoc to be a Neuropsychologist.

I made the mistake to primarily apply to Neuro sites but I matched to one of my non Neuro sites that was APA accredited. My internship let me do a rotation with an affiliated Neuropsychologist one day a week for one of the rotations.

I did the two year post doc in neuropsychology and now I am licensed in four states and approved for ABPP exam and oral. You don't need to do predoc Neuro for ABPP but you need to do postdoc.

Breath and broadly based are APA accreditation requirements.

Please point me to documentation stating this "requirement."

Certain domains do need need to be covered, however. That is true.

It is important to do an APA Accredited predoc and two-years neuropsych postdoc to be a Neuropsychologist.

Did I say or suggest otherwise?

My internship let me do a rotation with an affiliated Neuropsychologist one day a week for one of the rotations.

Good for you. Not the norm. Thus not good advice to give.

Breath and broadly based are APA accreditation requirements. We are clinical psychologist first and neuropsychology training is postdoctoral. There are a number of postdoc Neuro slots that go unfilled every year.

I made the mistake to primarily apply to Neuro sites but I matched to one of my non Neuro sites that was APA accredited. My internship let me do a rotation with an affiliated Neuropsychologist one day a week for one of the rotations.

I did the two year post doc in neuropsychology and now I am licensed in four states and approved for ABPP exam and oral. You don't need to do predoc Neuro for ABPP but you need to do postdoc.[/QUOTE]

Doing a generalist internship slims your chances of getting a neuro postdoc. I applied to one general site only, one that I already interviewed in phase 1 which offers several neuro rotations enough to meet Houston guidelines. Seems like you succeeded securing a postdoc without neuro internship, kudos to you, but your experience is anecdotal. Norm is Houston guidelines which requires at least 50% neuro work during the internship. So yeah, misleading advice.

Doing a generalist internship slims your chances of getting a neuro postdoc. I applied to one general site only, one that I already interviewed in phase 1 which offers several neuro rotations enough to meet Houston guidelines. Seems like you succeeded securing a postdoc without neuro internship, kudos to you, but your experience is anecdotal. Norm is Houston guidelines which requires at least 50% neuro work during the internship. So yeah, misleading advice.

Technically, the Houston guidelines don't explicitly require 50%+ time in neuro while on internship; I want to say that specific rec came from a journal article published a number of years ago discussing neuropsych training moving forward. Might've been written by Reitan...? I can't recall at the moment.

The Houston guidelines essentially state that the level of internship neuro experience you receive relates to your prior training in the area. If you've had a lot of neuropsych in grad school, for example, you have a bit more flexibility RE: a generalist internship (although you'll still want to aim for at least one or two neuro rotations). If you've had little/no neuro training in grad school, you really do want to try to find a neuro-focused internship in order to help you gather those fundamental skills in preparation for postdoc. If you've had little/no neuro in grad school and subsequently attend a generalist internship, your chances of landing a formal two-year postdoc are pretty slim. You'll also have a lot of ground to make up in terms of foundational knowledge.

In general, 50%+ is a safe guideline, as that'll ensure appropriate neuro exposure. But it's not a requirement for boarding.

I will say that it is becoming the norm for folks to obtain significant neuro experience in grad school, on internship, and (of course) on postdoc.

Technically, the Houston guidelines don't explicitly require 50%+ time in neuro while on internship; I want to say that specific rec came from a journal article published a number of years ago discussing neuropsych training moving forward. Might've been written by Reitan...? I can't recall at the moment.

The Houston guidelines essentially state that the level of internship neuro experience you receive relates to your prior training in the area. If you've had a lot of neuropsych in grad school, for example, you have a bit more flexibility RE: a generalist internship (although you'll still want to aim for at least one or two neuro rotations). If you've had little/no neuro training in grad school, you really do want to try to find a neuro-focused internship in order to help you gather those fundamental skills in preparation for postdoc. If you've had little/no neuro in grad school and subsequently attend a generalist internship, your chances of landing a formal two-year postdoc are pretty slim. You'll also have a lot of ground to make up in terms of foundational knowledge.

In general, 50%+ is a safe guideline, as that'll ensure appropriate neuro exposure. But it's not a requirement for boarding.

I didn't suggest that it's a boarding requirement, but as a grad student who had substantial neuro training under the supervision of board certified NPs, I know very well that having less than 50% neuro training during the internship almost nullifies the chance of getting a neuropostdoc. And like you said, neuro postdoc is what matters for certification.

I didn't suggest that it's a boarding requirement, but as a grad student who had substantial neuro training under the supervision of board certified NPs, I know very well that having less than 50% neuro training during the internship almost nullifies the chance of getting a neuropostdoc. And like you said, neuro postdoc is what matters for certification.

Depends in part on the TDs of sites to which you're applying. In my opinion, "almost nullifies" is a bit too strong, at least at present. I'd say that if a person has significant neuro training in grad school, then receiving <50% time on internship could make them less competitive; however, if they come from a solid program and their internship site is reputable (despite the lack of neuro focus), I'd still be a bit surprised if they didn't match/land somewhere.

Best-case, though, you're better off with a neuro-focused internship.

I do not believe this is correct. There are *far* more neuro post doc spots (>100) than there are internship spots w 50%+ neuro (<100).

When I applied for internship back in 2010-2011, I applied almost exclusively to neuro sites and there are only about 30-40 sites. I did not listen to my supervisor who said that was a bad plan as I put myself in a select and highly competitive group, given the limited sites. I did not match in Phase I or II that year. The next year, I had 25 applications with about 7 to Neuro sites and I matched with an APA accredited site without any Neuro. I did some Neuro with a private practice affliated Psychologists for one of my rotations one day a week.

If I remember correctly on my ABPP CN application there was no 50% Neuro requirement for predoctoral internship but for postdoctoral two-years neuropsychology fellowship it is 50% neuro emphasis. When the ABPP CN review committee reviews your application they look for Neuro and Physio Psych Courses on your doctoral transcript and I had 8 courses in these areas. They want you to have a Clinical Psychology APA or APPIC approved predoctoral internship that is broadly based. In fact, the moderator for the NAN ABPP CN workshop emphasized that the predoctoral training must emphasize Clinical Psychology Broadly and that if it was just in Neuropsychology if may be a negative because you did not have sufficient Clinical Psychology Training in Internship. Neuropsychologist are first Clinical Psychologist and then Neuropsychologist. The Houston Guidelines, which I have met is focused on Postdoctoral two-year Neuropsychology Fellowship with 50% neuropsychology focus.

The postdoctoral neuropsychology fellowships are limited, but some are not filled every year. Many are in the VA and they tend to keep their predoctoral interns for postdoctoral. Best option is to do a predoctoral in the VA and then apply for postdoctoral neuropsychology fellowship in the VA.

When I applied for internship back in 2010-2011, I applied almost exclusively to neuro sites and there are only about 30-40 sites. I did not listen to my supervisor who said that was a bad plan as I put myself in a select and highly competitive group, given the limited sites. I did not match in Phase I or II that year. The next year, I had 25 applications with about 7 to Neuro sites and I matched with an APA accredited site without any Neuro. I did some Neuro with a private practice affliated Psychologists for one of my rotations one day a week.

If I remember correctly on my ABPP CN application there was no 50% Neuro requirement for predoctoral internship but for postdoctoral two-years neuropsychology fellowship it is 50% neuro emphasis. When the ABPP CN review committee reviews your application they look for Neuro and Physio Psych Courses on your doctoral transcript and I had 8 courses in these areas. They want you to have a Clinical Psychology APA or APPIC approved predoctoral internship that is broadly based. In fact, the moderator for the NAN ABPP CN workshop emphasized that the predoctoral training must emphasize Clinical Psychology Broadly and that if it was just in Neuropsychology if may be a negative because you did not have sufficient Clinical Psychology Training in Internship. Neuropsychologist are first Clinical Psychologist and then Neuropsychologist. The Houston Guidelines, which I have met is focused on Postdoctoral two-year Neuropsychology Fellowship with 50% neuropsychology focus.

The postdoctoral neuropsychology fellowships are limited, but some are not filled every year. Many are in the VA and they tend to keep their predoctoral interns for postdoctoral. Best option is to do a predoctoral in the VA and then apply for postdoctoral neuropsychology fellowship in the VA.

I wouldn't necessarily say this (the bolded). The Houston guidelines do indeed specifically stipulate that a two-year, neuropsychology-focused fellowship is necessary, which may be about the only "hard and fast" requirement in that respect. But they also speak to receiving neuropsychology training in grad school and on internship.

Basically, the Houston guidelines stipulate a variety of emphasis areas/areas of competence. Is it possible to meet all of those guidelines with no or very limited neuro training in grad school and on internship? Anything is possible. Is it likely? No, in no small part because that would make you very uncompetitive for formal postdoc...and to make up that amount of ground would, in my opinion, all but require a formal postdoc.

It's my understanding that the credential review committees are tending to be more inclusive than exclusive at present. Probably because there are written and oral exams (and work sample review) to serve as additional cut-points. Whether or not this holds true in the future, no clue.

Edit: For fear of completely side-tracking things, we could likely take this recent conversation "splinter" to a separate thread if we want to continue with it.

Last edited:
I wouldn't necessarily say this (the bolded). The Houston guidelines do indeed specifically stipulate that a two-year, neuropsychology-focused fellowship is necessary, which may be about the only "hard and fast" requirement in that respect. But they also speak to receiving neuropsychology training in grad school and on internship.

Basically, the Houston guidelines stipulate a variety of emphasis areas/areas of competence. Is it possible to meet all of those guidelines with no or very limited neuro training in grad school and on internship? Anything is possible. Is it likely? No, in no small part because that would make you very uncompetitive for formal postdoc...and to make up that amount of ground would, in my opinion, all but require a formal postdoc.

It's my understanding that the credential review committees are tending to be more inclusive than exclusive at present. Probably because there are written and oral exams (and work sample review) to serve as additional cut-points. Whether or not this holds true in the future, no clue.

Edit: For fear of completely side-tracking things, we could likely take this recent conversation "splinter" to a separate thread if we want to continue with it.

Like you explained, there are "possibilities" and then there are "probabilities". Can one get board certified without a neuro internship? It's certainly possible. However, as far as postdoc fellow selection practices go, this is not ideal, not even optimal. I tend to think it's hugely misleading to make this recommendation based on anecdotal experience.

Like you explained, there are "possibilities" and then there are "probabilities". Can one get board certified without a neuro internship? It's certainly possible. However, as far as postdoc fellow selection practices go, this is not ideal, not even optimal. I tend to think it's hugely misleading to make this recommendation based on anecdotal experience.

Mind you, I'm not making the recommendation to attend a non-neuro internship. Nor am I saying it's ideal or optimal. But I also don't want to overstate the effect it might have. If a doctoral student is coming from a strong program, has significant neuro training in grad school, and is considering ranking (and possibly attending) a generalist program that offers a neuro rotation or two, I'd be hard-pressed to dissuade them. Personally, I would likely rank it below most or all of the neuro-focused internships, but that's just me. This also might change as the imbalance continues to lessen. As things currently stand, thought, I wouldn't fault someone for considering a solid generalist internship as opposed to potentially not matching.

In reviewing postdoc applications, I (and the handful of colleagues with whom I've worked/trained, in addition to those with whom I keep in contact elsewhere) of course evaluate the application as a whole.

Mind you, I'm not making the recommendation to attend a non-neuro internship. Nor am I saying it's ideal or optimal. But I also don't want to overstate the effect it might have. If a doctoral student is coming from a strong program, has significant neuro training in grad school, and is considering ranking (and possibly attending) a generalist program that offers a neuro rotation or two, I'd be hard-pressed to dissuade them. Personally, I would likely rank it below most or all of the neuro-focused internships, but that's just me. This also might change as the imbalance continues to lessen. As things currently stand, thought, I wouldn't fault someone for considering a solid generalist internship as opposed to potentially not matching.

In reviewing postdoc applications, I (and the handful of colleagues with whom I've worked/trained, in addition to those with whom I keep in contact elsewhere) of course evaluate the application as a whole.

Oh I know that you're not suggesting to pursue a generalist internship, I hear where you're coming from. Part of my comment was addressing other comments on this discussion which seem to understate the importance of a neuro internship. Thank you for your input :)

Thank you for sharing, that gives me hope. Would you mind sharing what kind of questions did you get in those interviews? Did they ask about your Phase I experience?

No. I had 10 interviews Phase II (way better than Phase I) and no one asked me about my Phase I experience. Remember, they are also in Phase II and are hoping to match just like you are.

My interviews varied. Some of my interviews were very short 20-30 minutes of just very general questions...aka why do you want to match with us? Some of them were longer and required me to talk about a case. There was nothing at all that stood out with these interviews. Some were better than others. It was a bit nerve wracking talking via facetime but i got used to it . Relax, practice your phone voice, and do your best. I wish i could give you some great advice but really Phase II interviews were pretty relaxed...at least for me.

Does anyone know the average number of interviews people receive in phase II? I see that the average matched applicant has about 5 ranked sites vs 3 for unmatched, but what do people typically receive?