Application Strategy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ochem 32

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I took the MCAT last summer, but am retaking it soon. My plan was to go ahead and apply to AACOMAS since my MCAT scores are adequate, but wait for AMCAS. I've seen on here that a good strategy is to go ahead and apply to one school as soon as possible so that my application will have time to be verified before I get my new MCAT score back. Then at that point apply to more schools. This makes sense to me, but I was unsure how people would recommend going about choosing the one school to apply to initially. Do you want to pick a school you don't care about?

Also, would schools see I am waiting on a score anyway and thus I wouldn't need to wait to apply until I get my new score?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

For AMCAS at least, I believe you have to note in your MCAT section whether or not you plan on taking the MCAT again. So through that, any school that receives your app will know that you plan on retaking.

As for the one school, you could pick a school you don't care about or one that you do. It's up to you, I don't think there are any consequences but maybe someone else could chime in on that.

Hi all,

I took the MCAT last summer, but am retaking it soon. My plan was to go ahead and apply to AACOMAS since my MCAT scores are adequate, but wait for AMCAS. I've seen on here that a good strategy is to go ahead and apply to one school as soon as possible so that my application will have time to be verified before I get my new MCAT score back. Then at that point apply to more schools. This makes sense to me, but I was unsure how people would recommend going about choosing the one school to apply to initially. Do you want to pick a school you don't care about?

Also, would schools see I am waiting on a score anyway and thus I wouldn't need to wait to apply until I get my new score?

Thanks!
For AMCAS, pick Harvard (or Drexel)
For AACOMAS, pick LUCOM