Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks! I'm from Boston, so visiting BU was obviously no problem. They gave me a $12,000 scholarship (Social & Behavioral Science). I've heard the commute between Boston and Providence is about 45 minutes via Amtrak?

I'll def. need to make it down to Providence in the coming month or so.

Did you get a chance to visit Brown? I've also been accepted to Brown and BU with scholarship money from both. Do you have any good insight? How are you making your decision? I love that BU is in boston, because I think there are more opportunities there compared to Providence (and I definitely need to have a job while going to school). But I've heard good things about getting a stipend while doing a research job at Brown; I've read that they're fairly easily available to students, whereas at BU I think there'd be much mroe competition for these spots because there's so many more students.

Members don't see this ad.

Yay Brown! I love that school :)

----

Rejected: Berkeley (HPM), Harvard (HPM)
Accepted: Yale (HM), Emory (HPM - Merit), Columbia (HM), UCLA (Epi), Brown (Merit)
Waiting: Hopkins

I can finally post on this discussion board. I'm in at UNC Chapel Hill for the MHA program this fall! Whoooohoooo!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten in for UCLA MPH in HPM yet? I've pretty much given up on Yale since they won't give me an answer. SIGH. But UCLA is also taking their sweet time..

Accepted: University of Arizona
Rejected: UCLA :(
Waiting on: SDSU, UCI

MPH in Health Behavior and Promotion-related programs

Does anyone know if columbia sends out acceptances this late? :(

i have the same feeling.... have not yet heard from columbia OR BU. more considering BU over columbia, as it would not require me to move at all, but especially to an even more expensive city than the one i already live in.

i also have not heard from ANY financial aid offices at schools i was accepted too... i am afraid this info won't come until after april 15. anyone else accepted at yale, JHSPH and/or tufts not heard anything re: funding?

I'm not sure 100% about Columbia, but I do know that they just changed to the SOPHAS system this year and had a ton of problems when they sent out acceptance letters (i.e. sending the wrong letter, sending 2 different decisions, etc.). You may want to reach out to them just to check technically everything is okay (the lady in admissions is not the most pleasant person to talk to, but you can give her a try). Good Luck!

interesting, because i got an email about 2 weeks ago asking for a scanned copy of my GRE scores... which i thought was strange since SOPHAS confirmed receipt of my scores... i've not yet heard anything else from them :eek:

To all those who commented about the honeymoon stage ending, I am in that same boat. Not only am I undecided about where to go, I am worried about how I will pay for school. I have already visited Hopkins. I am visiting Emory next week and Yale and Columbia the following week.

I recently received a financial aid offer from Hopkins and they did not even give me enough loans to cover tuition. My EFC is approximately approximately 12K. Even if I was able to contribute that amount towards schooling, the $42K they offered me does not even cover the $85K tuition of the MPH/MBA program. I have not even added the living cost and all the additional expenses.

I have not received financial aid packages from the other schools yet. At first I was leaning toward Hopkins because of the dual degree and I already live in Baltimore County. But with that package, every school is fair game.

Applied: Hopkins (MPH/MBA), Emory (Epi), Yale (CDE), Columbia (Infectious Disease Epi)
Accepted: All

I am also still waiting to hear back from Columbia and I applied before the soft deadline. I called the admissions office today and the lady said another batch of decisions would be out by the end of this week.

It's not looking great but... we'll see!

Hey Guys,

So I finally saw that JHU had updated my status

I'm finally in at JHU.

I guess at this point "Confusion has indeed made its master piece"

I'm reviewing all my acceptances (even though I'm still waiting to hear from the recently endowed 50million dollar school) and I don't see how I want to miss HOPKINS.

Best wishes y'all

Heard from U Mich today - recommended for admission for the MHSA! Hoorah!

Yale - broke my own rule and called them - my app is still under review and they are aiming to get all decisions out by Admitted Students Day on March 30.

Princess Moose - intrigued by your desire to do a joint MBA/MPH at Hopkins and other places. What are your career aspirations and industry focus? If you want to stay in healthcare or public health, why not get the MPH and get a certificate in financial management instead? You may achieve the same goals for less time and money.

Financial Aid - remember everyone - getting the financial aid packages from schools are just the FIRST step in financial aid. Then you can apply for supplemental loans like the Grad Plus and Perkins. Don't fret/panic just yet!

After many sleepless nights of checking out the forum and refreshing my emails for acceptances, I finally have good news and can post. I'm in at UNC Chapel Hill for the MHA program!! Good luck to everyone else!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!!
After many sleepless nights of checking out the forum and refreshing my emails for acceptances, I finally got good news and can post. I'm in at UNC Chapel Hill for the MHA program!! Good luck to everyone else!

To all those who commented about the honeymoon stage ending, I am in that same boat. Not only am I undecided about where to go, I am worried about how I will pay for school. I have already visited Hopkins. I am visiting Emory next week and Yale and Columbia the following week.

I recently received a financial aid offer from Hopkins and they did not even give me enough loans to cover tuition. My EFC is approximately approximately 12K. Even if I was able to contribute that amount towards schooling, the $42K they offered me does not even cover the $85K tuition of the MPH/MBA program. I have not even added the living cost and all the additional expenses.

I have not received financial aid packages from the other schools yet. At first I was leaning toward Hopkins because of the dual degree and I already live in Baltimore County. But with that package, every school is fair game.

Applied: Hopkins (MPH/MBA), Emory (Epi), Yale (CDE), Columbia (Infectious Disease Epi)
Accepted: All

Can you not get a stipend by doing some work study or something of that sort? Lengthen your degree by a year, and take less classes while working a bit?

Rejected from UCLA CHS which is ok bc looking at everyone else's stats I had no chance going straight from undergrad. Going to LLU which is still a great school :]]]]

Good luck everyone!

Rejected from UCLA CHS which is ok bc looking at everyone else's stats I had no chance going straight from undergrad. Going to LLU which is still a great school :]]]]

Good luck everyone!

Have you heard back from SDSU? Did you apply for Health Promotion & Behavior Sciences? Still waiting on that as my first choice.

I was rejected from UCLA as well straight out of undergrad and know two others who were current seniors who didn't get. They probably do favor those with more working experience.

Have you heard back from SDSU? Did you apply for Health Promotion & Behavior Sciences? Still waiting on that as my first choice.

I was rejected from UCLA as well straight out of undergrad and know two others who were current seniors who didn't get. They probably do favor those with more working experience.

Sorry about UCLA. I still haven't heard. But I did get a letter in the mail today from SDSU--admitted for an MPH in Health Promotion & Behavioral Sciences. So I'm sure you'll hear soon! :)

Yay! It's cool to see other people applying to SDSU or UCI; it'd be cool to meet each other if we decide to go to the same school =D

Financial aid package from UNC--all loans. >.< And got into Hopkins.

Got all loans from UNC too...Now I'm trying to figure out how I can go to grad school without taking out $72,000 in loans :(

Got all loans from UNC too...Now I'm trying to figure out how I can go to grad school without taking out $72,000 in loans :(

Same here - I checked even though I sent in my enrollment deposit to BU - all loans at UNC as well. I think the same for UIC too. I don't know about Tufts, but I assume it would be similar.

Haven't heard from UMass-Amherst yet - it's been 10 weeks :eek: I completely forgot about them actually! Ah well...

I received a merit award from BU, and hopefully I can get some scholarships on my own, though I have a feeling it will be mostly loans for me. I was prepared for this potential reality though. Most everyone I know in grad school has mainly loans...where's our funding love goshdarnit?! :laugh:

Hey! I have a quick question for the SDSU people. I am still waiting :(.. do they update your status on web portal when they send you their decisions. i check that page hourly hoping they'll update it lol

Hey! I have a quick question for the SDSU people. I am still waiting :(.. do they update your status on web portal when they send you their decisions. i check that page hourly hoping they'll update it lol

Hi SDSU people,

I am still waiting for them to update their portal as well. They are taking bloody ages to make a decision. Anyone get into their HPM program yet? Also, for any SD folks, what is it like to live in SD?

Thanks!

its awesome. i currently go to UCSD and i love it. i don't want to leave. depends on the person though.
there is a lot to do here and endless amount of opportunities in the public health field

The good thing about UNC is we can apply for in-state tuition second year, so it shouldn't be as high as 72,000! UNC has one of the most manageable tuitions out of the schools I've been accepted at. I calculated it to be roughly 26,000.

Last edited:
No I haven't heard from SDSU and I had all of my app and stuff turned way ahead of time... I did apply to Health Promotion and Behavioral Sciences...

I got my decision in the mail today for the MPH in Health Promotion & Behavioral Sciences. Hope that helps! :) But it may be different for different departments...not sure though.

Last edited:
Heard from U Mich today - recommended for admission for the MHSA! Hoorah!

Yale - broke my own rule and called them - my app is still under review and they are aiming to get all decisions out by Admitted Students Day on March 30.

Princess Moose - intrigued by your desire to do a joint MBA/MPH at Hopkins and other places. What are your career aspirations and industry focus? If you want to stay in healthcare or public health, why not get the MPH and get a certificate in financial management instead? You may achieve the same goals for less time and money.

Financial Aid - remember everyone - getting the financial aid packages from schools are just the FIRST step in financial aid. Then you can apply for supplemental loans like the Grad Plus and Perkins. Don't fret/panic just yet!

@ Chavtwo and Bravia Thank you very much for your feed back.

I eventually plan to return to my home country(Nigeria) and work in the healthcare out there. I would like to work in the government and possibly start my own NGO. Even if it is not in the healthcare field, I would like to start a business in Nigeria so I want that business knowledge. When I visit the other schools, I am going to look into the possibility of adding the MBA although I did not initially apply to dual degree programs at those institutions. Granted Yale, Columbia, and Emory all have top business schools, so that will be more of a challenge. Thanks for your suggestion regarding the certificate, I will also look into that.

As far as financial aid, the Grad Plus and Perkins loans were included in my package. @ Bravia I am eligible for work study, but the max for that is 8K. I am still seeking other funding options. Hopkins was the first package I received, so it was a bit shocking that they did not offer enough loans to cover tuition. For Hopkins, the MPH/MBA is pretty rigid and does not offer much flexibility as far as time off. I have been speaking to alumni and I have been told that I may not have a lot of time to work.

I honestly do not know why I heard back from SDSU so early, Feb 27th, :confused: esp since my stats aren't that great but no they don't update the status in the webportal; mine has looked the same since Jan 6th

Anyone heard yet about merit scholarships from UMich's HBHE program? I know that the decisions are supposed to come any day...

I honestly do not know why I heard back from SDSU so early, Feb 27th, :confused: esp since my stats aren't that great but no they don't update the status in the webportal; mine has looked the same since Jan 6th

I have the same issue. Mine has looked the same since January 11. Not sure why they are taking their sweet time. I mean we had everything before the deadline.

I called SDSU about their status and they said that they mailed me a decision letter already but I haven't received it yet. Has anyone been rejected from SDSU yet?

I called SDSU about their status and they said that they mailed me a decision letter already but I haven't received it yet. Has anyone been rejected from SDSU yet?
Regarding SDSU - I haven't heard a thing. I checked my mailbox and email inbox today hoping for a letter or message.

I live very close to San Diego*, so it looks I will be checking the mail constantly this week. *SDSU

Last edited:
Regarding SDSU - I haven't heard a thing. I checked my mailbox and email inbox today hoping for a letter or message.

I live very close to San Diego, so it looks I will be checking the mail constantly this week.

Hey Fernweh, have you heard anything from UCI? Which would you go to if both SDSU and UCI accept you?

I live very close to San Diego, so it looks I will be checking the mail constantly this week.
I just received my letter of acceptance to SDSU School of Public Health-HMP. I have until March 30th to decide if I will attend. They will have to forward their recommendation of acceptance to Graduate Admissions once I send in my intent. So I guess I have to wait until they approve the recommendation.

Last edited:
I called Sdsu today and they told me they review applications by department/concentration. they'r reviewing HMP now and they said they should let people know by the end of march!

@ Chavtwo and Bravia Thank you very much for your feed back.

I eventually plan to return to my home country(Nigeria) and work in the healthcare out there. I would like to work in the government and possibly start my own NGO. Even if it is not in the healthcare field, I would like to start a business in Nigeria so I want that business knowledge. When I visit the other schools, I am going to look into the possibility of adding the MBA although I did not initially apply to dual degree programs at those institutions. Granted Yale, Columbia, and Emory all have top business schools, so that will be more of a challenge. Thanks for your suggestion regarding the certificate, I will also look into that.

As far as financial aid, the Grad Plus and Perkins loans were included in my package. @ Bravia I am eligible for work study, but the max for that is 8K. I am still seeking other funding options. Hopkins was the first package I received, so it was a bit shocking that they did not offer enough loans to cover tuition. For Hopkins, the MPH/MBA is pretty rigid and does not offer much flexibility as far as time off. I have been speaking to alumni and I have been told that I may not have a lot of time to work.

Princess Moose, I will be going to Hopkins for MPH/MBA and I recently received my financial aid package and also got 42K (all loans).

Correct me if I am wrong, but the 42K you received is only for 2012-2013 school year (5 sessions), not for the entire duration of your time at Hopkins (8 sessions). This still doesn't cover all of the tuition for the entire year (55K), but it does make it more bearable.

My wife will be supporting us, so her income takes care of our living expenses...so the way I am looking at is, I only have to find 13K more for this year and I am good to go. Next year, we (all students) will have to re-apply for financial aid for the remaining 3 sessions and if I get the same proportion of loans as I did this year I will get something like 25K (could be more because the financial aid award will be based off of one salary as opposed to two salaries like it was for this upcoming year) for the 33K remaining in tuition expenses.

All in all, Hopkins would be covering approximately 67K (maybe more) of the 88K in tuition. Still not ideal...but I guess it could be worse...and if all goes well, hopefully I can get some of that 21K remaining with outside scholarships...

I called Sdsu today and they told me they review applications by department/concentration. they'r reviewing HMP now and they said they should let people know by the end of march!

Ahh this makes sense, I guess they did Environmental Health first. =) Good luck to you all!:thumbup:

The good thing about UNC is we can apply for in-state tuition second year, so it shouldn't be as high as 72,000! UNC has one of the most manageable tuitions out of the schools I've been accepted at. I calculated it to be roughly 26,000.

I am in-state. UNC estimated my costs for this year to be about $36,000 for room, board, tuition, everything. Unless I can find a scholarship or something, I will need to use the full amount to live. It's totally worth it to go to such an awesome school- it just hurts a little.

Are you estimating 26k for one year or both? Also, if you don't mind my asking, what are your plans for living expenses?

Hi everyone, i have just found out i was admitted to JHU MPH (epidemiology), yay!!!! Now after the first yay come the funding questions. For those among you who received JHU scholarships, when did you find out about it? Was it in the first "congratulations..." email or did it arrive separately? Thanks!

Just got an email from UCLA. Waitlisted for the HPM program. :cry::cry:

Just got an email from UCLA. Waitlisted for the HPM program. :cry::cry:

UCLA just emailed me and said they send me a waitlist email by mistake. I have been accepted to the HPM program!!!! What a relief.

:soexcited:

Congratulations!!
They also emailed me saying that I was accepted to a program that I never applied to.
It happened.
UCLA just emailed me and said they send me a waitlist email by mistake. I have been accepted to the HPM program!!!! What a relief.

:soexcited:

I finally got yale's financial aid package. It's the first school I've heard from.
Has anyone heard from Columbia or UCLA about financial aid? Do these schools give out grants?

I finally got yale's financial aid package. It's the first school I've heard from.
Has anyone heard from Columbia or UCLA about financial aid? Do these schools give out grants?

Just received my financial aid, too. It doesn't fully cover everything! but it'll work out.

In at Columbia MPH for Epi. Don't know why it comes so late.

wait-listed at columbia mph - healthcare management. will hear back by second week of june or sooner. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

it's ok. i've already decided to attend usc before columbia got back to me. :cool:

Last edited:
Lucky. Still waiting on Columbia. I didn't realize I'd get this anxious waiting...
GWU (oddly enough, accepted to nearly 3 weeks ago, but still no snail mail...???)

Waiting:
Columbia
UPitt
UMass
UMDNJ

Last edited: