Applied Epidemiologist...Questions About The Paths of Becoming One.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cadbery

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings Friends,

I would like to ask for some insight regarding some questions I have about being an applied epidemiologist and the various educational routes that lead to this kind of position. Working at the CDC EIS seems to be the dream for this line of work. (See CDC's side about epi intelligence service)
I have some specific questions (see below) but first, here's where I am:

I have been on the medical school track and after applying very late (October-ish) last cycle due to personal restrictions, I am currently wait listed at one school. I am set to apply again (in case I do not get off of the wait list) and am quite confident that I will get in now that I am applying on time.
However, I also last minute decided to apply to MPH programs. Again, I applied so late that only GWU and BU had apps that were still open. I got into both. I know have to decide if I want to continue with the MD route with a MPH later, or pursue an MPH now (and will likely do a PHD or DrPh later since doing a MD after MPH is just toooo expensive).

My questions are
1) I like the idea of treating the individual (thus my applications to medical school). However, I want to have a big picture idea as well. Are there professionals that work in public health (namely, global epi like at the CDC) who also see patients part time? I want the micro and macro view of health. However, sometimes it seems like you have to sacrifice one for the other

2) How would an epidemiologist with a MD-MPH look different that an epidemiologist with a PHD or DrPH. Again, think about top level like EIS at the CDC. Do two people with these degrees do the same thing? Or is their day to day work different? In what way could I feel restricted if I was a MD-MPH comparing myself to someone with a PHD. In what way could I feel restricted if I was a PHD comparing myself to a MD-MPH.

3) Is top level epi work 24/7 computer work? Would being a epidemiologist with MD/MPH allow me to do less computer work? If so, what kind of percentages are we talking about?

4) I was discouraged by the lack of basic science in GWU's epi program. I want the complete picture. How the disease was caused (basic science/medical science) and then how to we track its progression and eliminate it (epidemiology). This is why MD-MPH route interests me. Would having this complete picture help me? Would it be useful? Or is that just the definition of degree hoarding?

5) If I were to chose the MPH route, should I wait to apply again? I know I could get into the top 5 programs (JHU and so on), or is starting this year at a mid level school like GWU or BU or Emory worth saving that extra year's wait?

I hope some educated people can help me sort through some of this. I have done a lot of a research, but the MD-MPH route versus the MPH=>PHD route doesn't seem to be a topic much explored upon. (I've also considerd MD-PHD) I hope this thread can help others in similar positions as well.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings Friends,

I would like to ask for some insight regarding some questions I have about being an applied epidemiologist and the various educational routes that lead to this kind of position. Working at the CDC EIS seems to be the dream for this line of work. (See CDC's side about epi intelligence service)
I have some specific questions (see below) but first, here's where I am:

I have been on the medical school track and after applying very late (October-ish) last cycle due to personal restrictions, I am currently wait listed at one school. I am set to apply again (in case I do not get off of the wait list) and am quite confident that I will get in now that I am applying on time.
However, I also last minute decided to apply to MPH programs. Again, I applied so late that only GWU and BU had apps that were still open. I got into both. I know have to decide if I want to continue with the MD route with a MPH later, or pursue an MPH now (and will likely do a PHD or DrPh later since doing a MD after MPH is just toooo expensive).

My questions are
1) I like the idea of treating the individual (thus my applications to medical school). However, I want to have a big picture idea as well. Are there professionals that work in public health (namely, global epi like at the CDC) who also see patients part time? I want the micro and macro view of health. However, sometimes it seems like you have to sacrifice one for the other

2) How would an epidemiologist with a MD-MPH look different that an epidemiologist with a PHD or DrPH. Again, think about top level like EIS at the CDC. Do two people with these degrees do the same thing? Or is their day to day work different? In what way could I feel restricted if I was a MD-MPH comparing myself to someone with a PHD. In what way could I feel restricted if I was a PHD comparing myself to a MD-MPH.

3) Is top level epi work 24/7 computer work? Would being a epidemiologist with MD/MPH allow me to do less computer work? If so, what kind of percentages are we talking about?

4) I was discouraged by the lack of basic science in GWU's epi program. I want the complete picture. How the disease was caused (basic science/medical science) and then how to we track its progression and eliminate it (epidemiology). This is why MD-MPH route interests me. Would having this complete picture help me? Would it be useful? Or is that just the definition of degree hoarding?

5) If I were to chose the MPH route, should I wait to apply again? I know I could get into the top 5 programs (JHU and so on), or is starting this year at a mid level school like GWU or BU or Emory worth saving that extra year's wait?

I hope some educated people can help me sort through some of this. I have done a lot of a research, but the MD-MPH route versus the MPH=>PHD route doesn't seem to be a topic much explored upon. (I've also considerd MD-PHD) I hope this thread can help others in similar positions as well.

Thanks

I have to say that your post shows that you must do more research into the schools. Emory is one of the top MPH programs in the world, not mid level. The CDC is connected with Emory...Quite a bizarre school assessment from your end.

Reactions: 1 user
I have to say that your post shows that you must do more research into the schools. Emory is one of the top MPH programs in the world, not mid level. The CDC is connected with Emory...Quite a bizarre school assessment from your end.

Yeah I dont know why I said Emory. I know that's a good one and that it's connected with the CDC. I haven't even applied them so it was a misstype. However, their apps are actually open very late so I'm applying this week, but it's not in the equation right now. Even if I got in, the question is, is that still the best way to pursue epi? Maybe, I'm just not sure.
I thank you for your reply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm traveling now and unable to write a long reply, but here are some brief thoughts:

- You will need a clinical degree in order to have interaction with people as patients rather than as study participants/data points. Only you can decide how important that is to you and whether it's worth the debt and stress of med school.

- If you do decide on med school, doing your MPH during (or during residency) will save you both time and money.

- You need to do more of your own research into what epi is and is not if you feel it doesn't include enough "basic science" to meet your learning needs and you don't know what career paths are open to you. Having a conversation with a professor at a school that interests you or someone who works at EIS is probably a better way to go about this than forum posting. Plus it can help you network and figure out which degrees are best for your goals.

I was you about 6 years ago when I was graduating from college, trying to figure out which perfect combination of degrees would get me to where I thought I wanted to go. Since hindsight is 20/20, I've now come to understand that there were two major issues with this approach (i.e. two major issues with your approach, regardless if you are a recent college grad or not):

1) Where I thought I wanted to go is not where I ended up today, and that is because I eventually hated where I thought I wanted to go because I had no work experience in that field yet. You need to take an internship or something similar to evaluate how much you want to be an "applied epidemiologist," and to understand what you like and dislike about the field. By working with the professionals you aspire to become, you gain a much better sense of how to get there.

2) #1 above takes me to #2 - Not only will you have a clearer picture of how to get to said destination, but you will realize that MD vs. MD/MPH vs/ MD/PhD/MPH vs. MD/JD/MPH vs. PhD/MPH vs. PhD vs. RN/MS/PhD/JD/MBA/MPH/MD (need I go on?) doesn't matter at all. I know physicians in health policy and health services research who got tired of practicing medicine, and similarly the Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI) is "just" an MD. Your combination of degrees is not going to largely affect what you work on or how you work on it, especially at the CDC.

I guess the bottom line is: You might fall into more of a niche area of expertise with the PhD more than other routes, but just know that getting any degree after a bachelor's that is not the MD is not necessarily required to perform any public health-related job well. The only exception is a PhD for professor-type positions.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: 3 users
I was you about 6 years ago when I was graduating from college, trying to figure out which perfect combination of degrees would get me to where I thought I wanted to go. Since hindsight is 20/20, I've now come to understand that there were two major issues with this approach (i.e. two major issues with your approach, regardless if you are a recent college grad or not):

1) Where I thought I wanted to go is not where I ended up today, and that is because I eventually hated where I thought I wanted to go because I had no work experience in that field yet. You need to take an internship or something similar to evaluate how much you want to be an "applied epidemiologist," and to understand what you like and dislike about the field. By working with the professionals you aspire to become, you gain a much better sense of how to get there.

2) #1 above takes me to #2 - Not only will you have a clearer picture of how to get to said destination, but you will realize that MD vs. MD/MPH vs/ MD/PhD/MPH vs. MD/JD/MPH vs. PhD/MPH vs. PhD vs. RN/MS/PhD/JD/MBA/MPH/MD (need I go on?) doesn't matter at all. I know physicians in health policy and health services research who got tired of practicing medicine, and similarly the Director of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation (CMMI) is "just" an MD. Your combination of degrees is not going to largely affect what you work on or how you work on it, especially at the CDC.

I guess the bottom line is: You might fall into more of a niche area of expertise with the PhD more than other routes, but just know that getting any degree after a bachelor's that is not the MD is not necessarily required to perform any public health-related job well. The only exception is a PhD for professor-type positions.

Hope this helps.
i wish i had read this 4 years ago smh