This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0spacebar0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, Im at a crossroad between picking to apply for SGU in the Caribbean or going all in for D.O. My passion is medicine, and not title of MD, so I do not care of how I get to where I want to be. I'm graduating as a Biology Major in Canada with cGPA of 3.42 and sGPA of 3.27. Currently preparing for my MCAT. I did horrible in my first year and half of undergrad but in my last year and half I had a cGPA of 3.86 and sGPA of 3.77. So very much an upward trend but I'm not sure if its good enough. The reason for even pursuing SGU is the fact that I can save 80k through their scholarships for those that have GPA >3.7 which I would by simply repeating 2 courses. CHANCES AND RECOMMENDATIONS PLEASE?

Others things I should mention:

-Shadowing a US MD at clinic (accumulated 50hrs)
-Volunteer-work with cancer patients at a clinic in a hospital (about 300hrs so far)
-Tutor at underprivileged area for >2yrs
-About to do a year of work as a 'big brother' with BIG BROTHER BIG SISTERS program
-Work part-time
-Volunteering in a professor's lab and having hands-on experience for 8 months
-Did a humanitarian trip to Peru (for the reason that I would like to work in underprivileged areas as a doc)

Members don't see this ad.

The general consensus on SDN is to avoid the Carribean at all costs, even if they offer you a free ride and a boat load of treasure. Support is terrible, high attrition rate, ridiculous stress, and a whole host of other things. If you want more info, just search it up on here. And as long as you get like a 501+ on the MCAT, you should be good for DO. In general, MD > DO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Caribbean.

DO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Pod. school>>>>>>>>>>.............SGU

(Pod. school no disrespect lol, just in medical school career goals)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies narutoverse and Jibs. Is there anything you guys would recommend that I do to enhance my extra curriculars or my gpa? Also, I forgot to mention that I did only take 2-3 science classes a semester throughout my undergrad. So would that hamper my chances also? Would being a Canadian change anything?

Fellow Canadian here. Being Canadian decreases your chances at Americano schools. I think you have a decent shot at DO schools if you apply to all of them.

Need a MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
I got MD interviews (plural) as a Canadian with your GPA and a very strong MCAT. Don't go to the Carib.