Apply twice to the same schools, or wait for a stronger app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lizzy.grant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I saw a few threads that were somewhat similar to this, but couldn't find a case that exactly matched mine, and there didn't seem to be a definitive answer as some threads contradicted others.

I'm wondering if applying to schools in one cycle, then re-applying in the next cycle, would be disadvantageous in terms of admission prospects. For the sake of the simplicity of this thread and eliminating all other variables, I am ignoring the factors of stress, fees, time, emotional labor, etc., and just focusing on this in terms of chances of admission.

I'm a somewhat average applicant in terms of numbers (GPA ~3.6, doing ok with ECs, very heavy on research). I'm expecting a good MCAT score and a compelling personal statement (both strengths of mine).
If I apply now, these will be my stats.

If I wait a year and apply in the next cycle, I KNOW that I will be a stronger applicant. My GPA will be higher, around 3.7 (the lower GPA was the result of personal issues, I expect only improvement in terms of GPA), I'll have even more lab experience, I'll have time to strengthen and fill out my ECs, and I'll get more clinical experience. Also, I'll have completed all of the coursework for subjects featured on the MCAT, so I could expect an even higher score.

My friends and family are pushing for me to apply in both cycles (to go straight to med school after undergrad, AND to the cycle that would involve me taking a gap year). Their reasoning is that there's no harm in applying twice; I might get in the first time, and even if not, the schools won't care much if it's my second round applying. They also say that they think it's a good idea to give myself two times to take the MCAT (but some schools will just avg. the scores, so it seems like it's better to take it once when you're most prepared), and that being a re-applicant can show improvement and resiliency.

What do you guys think? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

I saw a few threads that were somewhat similar to this, but couldn't find a case that exactly matched mine, and there didn't seem to be a definitive answer as some threads contradicted others.

I'm wondering if applying to schools in one cycle, then re-applying in the next cycle, would be disadvantageous in terms of admission prospects. For the sake of the simplicity of this thread and eliminating all other variables, I am ignoring the factors of stress, fees, time, emotional labor, etc., and just focusing on this in terms of chances of admission.

I'm a somewhat average applicant in terms of numbers (GPA ~3.6, doing ok with ECs, very heavy on research). I'm expecting a good MCAT score and a compelling personal statement (both strengths of mine).
If I apply now, these will be my stats.

If I wait a year and apply in the next cycle, I KNOW that I will be a stronger applicant. My GPA will be higher, around 3.7 (the lower GPA was the result of personal issues, I expect only improvement in terms of GPA), I'll have even more lab experience, I'll have time to strengthen and fill out my ECs, and I'll get more clinical experience. Also, I'll have completed all of the coursework for subjects featured on the MCAT, so I could expect an even higher score.

My friends and family are pushing for me to apply in both cycles (to go straight to med school after undergrad, AND to the cycle that would involve me taking a gap year). Their reasoning is that there's no harm in applying twice; I might get in the first time, and even if not, the schools won't care much if it's my second round applying. They also say that they think it's a good idea to give myself two times to take the MCAT (but some schools will just avg. the scores, so it seems like it's better to take it once when you're most prepared), and that being a re-applicant can show improvement and resiliency.

What do you guys think? Thanks so much.
It seems like the core question here is how reapplicants are viewed. My understanding of this question is the same to many questions you will have on how certain things are viewed when applying to medical school: it varies from school to school. One of the AdCom members favorite phrases on here is: If you have seem one medical school, you have seen one medical school.

Assuming your GPA is somewhere in the 3.5s, you aren't really sitting terrible, but aren't sitting exceptionally either. Your GPA is also viewed differently in applications than as your school calculated, as the governing application bodies of AMCAS and AACOMAS calculate everyone's grades from their transcript in a standard manner to eliminate a degree of variability in different school grading procedures. The most common split is cumulative (all coursework) and science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math) gpas. Schools also may stratify by semester and/or year to elludicate trends. Additionally, your GPA and MCAT are often viewed as a combination; a stratification of application success based on these metrics is provided by this AAMC table. As you don't have an MCAT score, it is impossible to determine your chances of success at this point. Practice tests and expectations mean nothing; all that matters is what the number reads on your MCAT score report. My advice to you would be that after you achieve an MCAT score, you post your GPAs, MCAT, extra curriculars, and potential schools that you have identified after purchasing the MSAR (best money you will ever spend) and looking at schools GPA and MCAT acceptance medians/ranges into the 'What Are My Chances' subthread on this website, located here.

That being said, approaching medical school applications as if you are teeing off with a handful of mulligans is not a recommended and frankly an immature view of the process. This is the rate limiting step of your ultimate career goal; don't screw around. Do one application and do it right.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Grow a spine and tell your parents and friends that their advice is a great way to destroy your medical career. Tell them that you'll apply on your timeline with the best possible app.

Adcoms are allergic to people who make poor choices. Applying to med school and/or taking the MCAT "for practice" is outright foolish.

Reactions: 1 user