Applying for Fall 2010 (formerly the Class of 2014!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hell I have been on here for a little over 2 months and already posted about 550 times. That is a shame. :laugh:

I've been on two years!! lol

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just curious: for everyone that didn't apply ED, how are your apps coming? I see that PharmCAS is having problems with credit card payments. I wonder how that will factor in to everyone submitting their apps.

My interview with VCU is at 1 this upcoming Saturday (Oct. 10). Scary!!! I'm so nervous. Everyone keeps telling me I will do just fine, but I'm not so naive to think I've got it in the bag no problem. Yikes! :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
No ED, but it is submitted. It was actually mailed out today, and I got confirmation from two schools. That was pretty exciting...

I'm just curious: for everyone that didn't apply ED, how are your apps coming? I see that PharmCAS is having problems with credit card payments. I wonder how that will factor in to everyone submitting their apps.

My interview with VCU is at 1 this upcoming Saturday (Oct. 10). Scary!!! I'm so nervous. Everyone keeps telling me I will do just fine, but I'm not so naive to think I've got it in the bag no problem. Yikes! :scared:

Have fun navigating Richmond. VCU is littered with one way streets to nowhere!

But congrats on the interview and good luck. :luck:

just had my Interview at Shenandoah and I was really impressed. Te area is very scenic and beautiful. The faculty was absolutely amazing. After the intonation session the interviewees had pizza with pharmacy students and faculty. It was so so chill to talk to them before the interview. I was interviewed by faculty and one student. I have neve been more comfortable in an jnterview. I really hope I get accepted. Anyone els have a similar experience at shenandoah?

so "senor-itis" is kicking in...in teh fall. It is REALLY hard to study these days, and its much easier to hangout with my friends

just had my Interview at Shenandoah and I was really impressed. Te area is very scenic and beautiful. The faculty was absolutely amazing. After the intonation session the interviewees had pizza with pharmacy students and faculty. It was so so chill to talk to them before the interview. I was interviewed by faculty and one student. I have neve been more comfortable in an jnterview. I really hope I get accepted. Anyone els have a similar experience at shenandoah?

I interviewed with you at CPG. I was the guy who forgot to wear the suit and even a TIE. :laugh:

I had my interview at Shenandoah a long time ago....and was SUPER SUPER impressed. They seem like they care about their students and their students talked to me about life at home...as well as at school. I was VERY comfortable with the interview...very casual and nice. I would love to go to this school, but it's just so far away from home....and I'd like to finish pharmacy school in three years.

Members don't see this ad :)
so "senor-itis" is kicking in...in teh fall. It is REALLY hard to study these days, and its much easier to hangout with my friends

Yeah I am feeling the senioritis especially this semester because it is my last. I just keep thinking about the fact that I don't want to get to interviews in January and have to explain why I did so poorly the semester before. "Well sir you see there was this movie on TV the night before my test..." The crappy thing is that I am taking P Chem and Inorganic Chem this semester along with a few lab classes which I am quickly finding are rather difficult. Good thing I threw in a psych class for an easy A.

Yeah I am feeling the senioritis especially this semester because it is my last. I just keep thinking about the fact that I don't want to get to interviews in January and have to explain why I did so poorly the semester before. "Well sir you see there was this movie on TV the night before my test..." The crappy thing is that I am taking P Chem and Inorganic Chem this semester along with a few lab classes which I am quickly finding are rather difficult. Good thing I threw in a psych class for an easy A.

are you taking it with churchill for inorganic and autschbach for p.chem? how'd you do on the tests? I thought I did good on the quantum test, but my grade said otherwise...studied my ass off for the three days before it, too. luckily he grades on some weird-ass averaging that won't effect me too much if I can pull some good grades on the next two tests.

and for anyone who might go for their bachelor's before pharm school: don't take 22 credits with inorganic chem, p chem, and analytical chem in one semester. probably won't help your gpa.

those of you who got interview/acceptances for vcu/shenandoah, when did you receive application completion emails? were all your pcats taken on or before june?

those of you who got interview/acceptances for vcu/shenandoah, when did you receive application completion emails? were all your pcats taken on or before june?

I esubmitted with June 2009 PCATs mid august. September 8th they received my complete application and told me it would be reviewed immediately. I was invited to interview september 16th and had a list of dates to choose from. October 10th I interviewed. October 14th I was accepted to Shenandoah.

are you taking it with churchill for inorganic and autschbach for p.chem? how'd you do on the tests? I thought I did good on the quantum test, but my grade said otherwise...studied my ass off for the three days before it, too. luckily he grades on some weird-ass averaging that won't effect me too much if I can pull some good grades on the next two tests.

and for anyone who might go for their bachelor's before pharm school: don't take 22 credits with inorganic chem, p chem, and analytical chem in one semester. probably won't help your gpa.

Yup taking both of those. For inorganic I got a 79 at first but then noticed Churchill missed adding in 10 whole points from the point group question so I went up to an 89. I did well on the pchem test, luckily I have always done well in any math related chemistry without much trouble. Now organic and inorganic I have had to study my ass off for in order to do well. I sat there playing with models for two days straight figuring out point groups. I wouldn't worry about pchem the remaining material seems so much easier compared to quantum mechanics. Your lowest test will only be worth 15% of your grade. He does have a weird weighting it turns out after breaking down his system the highest grade is worth 35% the middle worth 50% and the lowest 15%

Who is teaching analytical this semester? I had Gardella last semester who gave quite a nice curve on every test. Not sure how the other professors are.

-written while watching churchill play with his models

Just got my acceptance from South yesterday! 2 for 2 so far on schools.

Applied and accepted: Mercer Uni.
South Uni.

Still patiently waiting to hear back for an interview( they don't start until January!): The University of Georgia

I'll definitely go to UGA if I get accepted in the spring, but it's nice to have some great backups this early in the cycle...Good luck all! it can be done.:)

Who is teaching analytical this semester? I had Gardella last semester who gave quite a nice curve on every test. Not sure how the other professors are.

-written while watching churchill play with his models

I'm taking it with Bruckenstein. Extremely boring and old. Seems nice, but doesn't really seem to know how to use a computer or a microphone. He gives a quiz every week for a total of 15 quizzes. That's your whole grade. No curve, but if you do even a couple practice problems you're golden. I just show up for the quiz and then leave, and do the assigned practice problems.

and lol @ playing with the models. He inevitably walks in every class with that cardboard box full of sticks and balls. He's a funny old british guy, I like him. Except for memorizing the periodic table, that was just unnecessary and a waste of time. Easy points on a test, but a waste of time nonetheless.

I'm taking it with Bruckenstein. Extremely boring and old. Seems nice, but doesn't really seem to know how to use a computer or a microphone. He gives a quiz every week for a total of 15 quizzes. That's your whole grade. No curve, but if you do even a couple practice problems you're golden. I just show up for the quiz and then leave, and do the assigned practice problems.

Yay UB students! I took analytical a couple years ago with Wood. Colon was also teaching it that semester but I did not take it with him (thank god).

Wood was awesome. He's so dorky and nice. He was a good prof. Our test scores were a lot higher than Colon's class (we took the same tests). There was a good curve too.

Yay UB students! I took analytical a couple years ago with Wood. Colon was also teaching it that semester but I did not take it with him (thank god).

Wood was awesome. He's so dorky and nice. He was a good prof. Our test scores were a lot higher than Colon's class (we took the same tests). There was a good curve too.

I had Wood for Gen Chem 2 when I took it over the summer the year before. I agree he is good, made the course seem pretty easy even taking it in a 5 week time span. I have not heard anything good about Colon from anyone so I am glad that I will make it through my chem degree without ever needing to take a class with him.

I had Wood for Gen Chem 2 when I took it over the summer the year before. I agree he is good, made the course seem pretty easy even taking it in a 5 week time span. I have not heard anything good about Colon from anyone so I am glad that I will make it through my chem degree without ever needing to take a class with him.

Doesn't he teach analytical chem lab?

Doesn't he teach analytical chem lab?

I honestly have no clue who teaches my analytical lab mow that you mention it. I am in that class right now and have never met the professor just the TA. I should check the website.

i just got my acceptance to UK today and just thought i would share my excitement with you all, yay!!! :thumbup:

i just got my acceptance to UK today and just thought i would share my excitement with you all, yay!!! :thumbup:
congratulations!!!

When looking at the pharmcas gpas, the irst one lists all your undergrad/grad gpas and teh second one is the math/sci gpa, correct? I didn't realize the social sciences were included in the math/sci gpa. Was it like this last year.

My gpas are calculated. My application should be mailed soon :thumbup:
Last year my math/sci gpa was a 3.02. I didn't do anything to significantly improve that during the spring semester but somehow this time it is a 3.24 :confused::confused: I'll take it though (a 3.24 is better than a 3.02).

Hey Delano, how do you feel about your PCAT experience? Think you did well?

My PCAT experience was horrible to say the least. I was unable to finish the Quant. section. At the 5 min mark I had 19 questions left so you can pretty much guess what I had to do. The other parts were not so bad. The BIO and Chem sections were fairly doable. The verbal was ok too. The RC section I did not get to answer 1 of the questions but I think I did ok here too.

Hopefully in the next 4-5 weeks I will be getting some good news, but honestly, I will not be holding my breath.

I was chatting with a pharmacy school admissions rep and they explained to me that before your interview, they already know if you are being accepted or waitlisted. The interview is just confirmation of their prior decision. 99% of the time, after the interview, the status does not change. Of course, you will not know until after the interview.

I know...Good luck too bro. I know you will get ya top choice...hopefully my GPA will make up for the PCAT score and I will be able to get in somewhere. :scared:

Bahh I felt the same way after taking the PCAT and I ended up doing just fine. I am sure your scores are better than you think.

I took my PCAT in June. I didn't study that much because I didn't want to get myself so worked up about it. Of course, when the scores came back, I was thoroughly disappointed. I took them again Oct. 17 and I felt better in some areas, and worse in others. I dont think anyone in my testing room finished the quant section. Its kind of scary. I applied to 6 schools and with my PCAT scores from the first time, I didn't think I'd even get an interview. Hopefully some schools will wait until October scores come in to decide if they want to interview you. I did get an interview at VCU for 10/31!! :soexcited: I'm definitely nervous but hopefully I'll get in!

My PCAT experience was horrible to say the least. I was unable to finish the Quant. section. At the 5 min mark I had 19 questions left so you can pretty much guess what I had to do. The other parts were not so bad. The BIO and Chem sections were fairly doable. The verbal was ok too. The RC section I did not get to answer 1 of the questions but I think I did ok here too.

Hopefully in the next 4-5 weeks I will be getting some good news, but honestly, I will not be holding my breath.

I would definately not worry about the quantitative section. I have straight A's in math, with the exception of a B+ in Calc II, and I had about 15-20 questions left at the 5 min mark too. That's why I tell everyone to think FAST on that section. It's better to make educated choices on nearly all of them than to dwell over a few and then literally christmas tree the entire thing. lol

I think you will be okay... I did the same thing and my scores came back last year:

Verbal - 85
Biology - 95
Reading Comp - 92
Chemistry - 93
Quantitative Ability - 62 :)laugh:)

But my composite averaged to a 93

Even if you have a crappy score on QA I think they will understand if you have great math grades which I'm assuming you do by your GPA.

I would definately not worry about the quantitative section. I have straight A's in math, with the exception of a B+ in Calc II, and I had about 15-20 questions left at the 5 min mark too. That's why I tell everyone to think FAST on that section. It's better to make educated choices on nearly all of them than to dwell over a few and then literally christmas tree the entire thing. lol

I think you will be okay... I did the same thing and my scores came back last year:

Verbal - 85
Biology - 95
Reading Comp - 92
Chemistry - 93
Quantitative Ability - 62 :)laugh:)

But my composite averaged to a 93

Even if you have a crappy score on QA I think they will understand if you have great math grades which I'm assuming you do by your GPA.

Actually my Math grades (B) so far brought my Math and Science GPA down.

I am not gonna get my self worked up about it. Not much I can do now so its all in the past. Thanks for the advice and having so much confidence in my performance.

Do you think PharmCAS has already updated the statuses of people who applied early decision?

I hope it is a good sign that I still cannot apply to other schools...

i submitted pharmcas on 10/14/09. calculated gpa on the 20th. Now i'm just waiting for it to get mailed. It's kind of nerve wracking lol