Applying IM without IM electives?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jrbirdy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tried to post this in another thread, but didn't get any responses.

I'm an MS3 who just decided to apply internal medicine in the fall. I have two elective spots prior to ERAS submission (July and August), and plan to fill one of those spots with my IM sub internship. The other I am planning to take Step II (highly recommended by my school to take it prior to ERAS submission in order to maximize interview invites).

I am starting to get really nervous about the fact that I will not have done any IM electives (just an IM wards sub internship). Will programs view me negatively because of this if I am otherwise a competitive applicant with good clerkship grades, step score, some research etc?

Also is it frowned upon to get a letter from a well-known research mentor? My school says yes but the internet tells me no. Again, because I haven't done electives I'm unlikely to get LORs from well-known clinical faculty.

Members don't see this ad.

When I applied, I didn't do any IM elective rotations until after interview season due to scheduling for personal reasons. Don't sweat it. It will be fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tried to post this in another thread, but didn't get any responses.

I'm an MS3 who just decided to apply internal medicine in the fall. I have two elective spots prior to ERAS submission (July and August), and plan to fill one of those spots with my IM sub internship. The other I am planning to take Step II (highly recommended by my school to take it prior to ERAS submission in order to maximize interview invites).

I am starting to get really nervous about the fact that I will not have done any IM electives (just an IM wards sub internship). Will programs view me negatively because of this if I am otherwise a competitive applicant with good clerkship grades, step score, some research etc?

Also is it frowned upon to get a letter from a well-known research mentor? My school says yes but the internet tells me no. Again, because I haven't done electives I'm unlikely to get LORs from well-known clinical faculty.

Most people who start m4 year in June have only one elective on their residency transcript, and many times that elective is not a medicine elective.

You'll be fine.

Large dogs