Applying to 4-yr OMFS from a 6-yr program. Need advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Colastick

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys. Yet another time I need SDN wisdom. So, I'm at a dental school that offers a 6-yr OMFS program. All of the attendings are MD's. When I talk to them, they obviously are biased toward 6-year program and they think the MD degree makes one a better surgeon.

I've been having meetings with some professors, and when they ask me which route I want to take I tell them that I'm leaning toward 4 year, but that I'll still be applying to few 6 year programs, which is true.

I didn't want to tell them that I'll definitely do 6 year and go into academics because I still think honesty is the best policy, but at the same time I don't really know how to tell them that I want to pursue a single degree without making them think that I'm not striving for the best.

Any advice?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I came from a dental school who also only offers a 6 year OMFS track and I'm currently in a 4-year program. I told the PD at my dental school straight up that I prefer a 4 year program. It didn't affect my LORs at all, but my school didn't interview me b/c I disclosed that too them. When asked why I didn't get an interview, they said b/c they felt that I "wasn't as interested in a 6 year." So my suggestion to you is to not tell them which track you prefer most and let them know either one is fine and at the end of the day you want to be an OMFS.
 
Like a few others here, I attended a dental school with a 6 year route. A lot of my classmates went into OMFS, both 4 and 6 year tracks. It did not affect me in the slightest. 🙂