This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fueled by caffeine dreams

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
After three years of applying, I didn't think I would be having to choose from my acceptances, so not a bad problem to have, but I was hoping to gain some insight from you guys about the hardest, most life-altering decision of my life. I have made a pros and cons list for both schools:

ARCOM Pros:
Loved the campus/town felt at home.
On-campus living with everything open 24/7
Helical Curriculum
Able to start clubs/ leadership roles
Amazing Sim lab and Anatomy lab
More research opportunities in a lab that is only half full
This video
They have rotation sites set up, but are also open to you finding ones around the country willing to take you to hopefully establish more
Partners with other professional schools for a collaborative project
Campus is surrounded by national forests

ARCOM Cons:
New School. (I would be the 3rd class)
Library is mostly online
Even though it is the second largest city in Arkansas (pop 88,000), there isn't a whole lot of large cities around
No free clinic on campus (there is one in town that you can volunteer at)

KYCOM Pros:
More established
Free Community Clinic on campus--Start working in it year one
Preceptorship starting year 1, where you can work with drs in the area or set up to work with them around the country
Trauma center in town
More large cities around
OPP taught by well known osteopaths who invented some of the maneuvers
"Kentucky Advantage" gives students included ipad, diagnostic equipment, scrubs, white coat, OPP table, etc
Campus is at the base of mountains

KYCOM Cons:
I dont like the curriculum set up
There is no good airport to get to it
Its in the middle of nowhere (pop of 7000)
Lower pass rate
Less opportunity for research

Members don't see this ad.

I am on waitlist at ARCOM and have an acceptance from KYCOM. But ARCOM is closer to home. Trying to decide if I need withdraw from waitlist at ARCOM since I hear there are 10 or so students that repeat in 1st & 2nd years

I am on waitlist at ARCOM and have an acceptance from KYCOM. But ARCOM is closer to home. Trying to decide if I need withdraw from waitlist at ARCOM since I hear there are 10 or so students that repeat in 1st & 2nd years

I actually ended up accepting my seat at ARCOM over 2 other offers. The repeat thing is going to be on you and how well you adjust to med school--just like how my legacy is going to be based on what I do and not the name of the school, so I wouldn't let that be your determining factor

Members don't see this ad :)
After three years of applying, I didn't think I would be having to choose from my acceptances, so not a bad problem to have, but I was hoping to gain some insight from you guys about the hardest, most life-altering decision of my life. I have made a pros and cons list for both schools:

ARCOM Pros:
Loved the campus/town felt at home.
On-campus living with everything open 24/7
Helical Curriculum
Able to start clubs/ leadership roles
Amazing Sim lab and Anatomy lab
More research opportunities in a lab that is only half full
This video
They have rotation sites set up, but are also open to you finding ones around the country willing to take you to hopefully establish more
Partners with other professional schools for a collaborative project
Campus is surrounded by national forests

ARCOM Cons:
New School. (I would be the 3rd class)
Library is mostly online
Even though it is the second largest city in Arkansas (pop 88,000), there isn't a whole lot of large cities around
No free clinic on campus (there is one in town that you can volunteer at)

KYCOM Pros:
More established
Free Community Clinic on campus--Start working in it year one
Preceptorship starting year 1, where you can work with drs in the area or set up to work with them around the country
Trauma center in town
More large cities around
OPP taught by well known osteopaths who invented some of the maneuvers
"Kentucky Advantage" gives students included ipad, diagnostic equipment, scrubs, white coat, OPP table, etc
Campus is at the base of mountains

KYCOM Cons:
I dont like the curriculum set up
There is no good airport to get to it
Its in the middle of nowhere (pop of 7000)
Lower pass rate
Less opportunity for research

Where did you end up going?

Where did you end up going and why? I am in the same situation so it would help me make a decision lol