Are medical students attractive?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VTBuc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Serious question:

So as a Biology major, the vast vast majority of people in my major are unattractive and do not take care of themselves. Most are much more concerned with their schoolwork(which is very important, don't get me wrong) with their own personal hygiene and body image. The Pre-med population is even worse.

Undoubtedly, in Medical School students have even less free time to go to the gym and work out. My gut tells me it will be growing in the future.

But I would like to know, in general, do medical students make time to stay in shape or just let themselves go? Do they dress nicely to class or just wear sweatpants? Do the women take care of their hair or just throw it in a ponytail and head to class?

Members don't see this ad.

you must go to a ugly school, most girls in my major are fineeeeeeeeeee

My classmates are mostly attractive, and a lot of my classmates do still work out on a regular basis. Aside from scrubs, people tend to dress normally/well.

You have to remember that medical school is a professional school, so dressing like a bum and not caring about your appearance aren't very acceptable. People take themselves seriously, for the most part.

Members don't see this ad :)
Serious question:

So as a Biology major, the vast vast majority of people in my major are unattractive and do not take care of themselves. Most are much more concerned with their schoolwork(which is very important, don't get me wrong) with their own personal hygiene and body image. The Pre-med population is even worse.

Undoubtedly, in Medical School students have even less free time to go to the gym and work out. My gut tells me it will be growing in the future.

But I would like to know, in general, do medical students make time to stay in shape or just let themselves go? Do they dress nicely to class or just wear sweatpants? Do the women take care of their hair or just throw it in a ponytail and head to class?

I think that is just at your school...

As for medical students, the one's I know seem to exercise plenty. It is like anything in life, you just have to make time for it. If you make exercise a priority, then you can do it.

I am.

I also try to make an effort to look at least presentable all the time, because every time I look like crap with a scruffy 3-day-unshaven face and pillow-hair is when I happen to run into and meet a really hot girl...doesn't fail.

I would say my class is pretty representative of the population in general: a handful are very attractive, a dozen or so are terrible, and there's a LOT in the middle...kinda like a bell curve.

Based on what I've seen at my school, I would say that medical students in general are more likely to spend time at the gym than the general public (probably also more likely than the average undergrad). People learn quickly that the exercise is a great stress-reliever and easy way to spend time with classmates. I would also argue that most medical students exercise because it is good for them and they are genuinely concerned with their personal health (especially after we've convinced ourselves that we have all 80 of the random diseases we are learning about in a given week). Maybe I've just been hanging our in the outdoorsy pacific NW for too long, but people here spend a lot of time at the gym, on the mountains, or playing on a sports team.

As for the primping part...that's probably not as likely. Sure, medical students might go all out once in awhile and wear a nice outfit, spend some extra time on the hair, etc (usually on clinic days), but I've seen very few people do it consistently. When it's 8am and you are cranky and tired and hate the 4 hours of pending diabetes lectures, it's just not a top priority.

Again though...maybe I've just lived in birkenstock-land for too long.

Members don't see this ad :)
In a previous life.:D

Then you know exactly what I'm referring to in regards to the female population here. :D

(Of course...I'm sure you're an exception to the rule and stuff :p)

Then you know exactly what I'm referring to in regards to the female population here. :D

(Of course...I'm sure you're an exception to the rule and stuff :p)

Ha, I used to be in the all-women-engineers-all-the-time building. High variability, I'd say. Also, I will never again willingly choose to live in a community comprised entirely of women.:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'd say in med school, you won't see anyone showing up to class in sweatpants. Although, I do let myself get away with a pony-tail and hoodie.:hungover:

It's professional, I swear. If I need to look nice, though, I can. It's really more of a utility thing.

If my interview trail is any indication, they will tons of attractive sexy med students come next year! I hope they got in though....

song-chart-memes-girl-paradox.jpg
song-chart-memes-girl-paradox

I would say my class is pretty representative of the population in general: a handful are very attractive, a dozen or so are terrible, and there's a LOT in the middle...kinda like a bell curve.
Same here, but I'd say there's a pretty noticeable shift towards the nerdier look. I guess I'm saying that it's a bit of a skewed bell curve. :p

I find this diagram more informative:
tumblr_kqfy3s9K5P1qa0uujo1_500.jpg

Serious question:

I hear a lot of med students list working out as part of their routine/de-stresser activities. Also, I don't get how people can't take an extra 10 mins a day to look and smell a little more put-together. If you're second-guessing yourself about your BO, just take that damn shower. And ponytails can be chic if done correctly!

Engineering school in the mountains. :(

This explains it.

Most definitely. Engineers are crazy zombies with their ridiculously long problem sets.

I hear a lot of med students list working out as part of their routine/de-stresser activities. Also, I don't get how people can't take an extra 10 mins a day to look and smell a little more put-together. If you're second-guessing yourself about your BO, just take that damn shower. And ponytails can be chic if done correctly!

Most definitely. Engineers are crazy zombies with their ridiculously long problem sets.

That has definitely not been an issue with students here.:laugh::laugh: Ponytails can be really cute, it's true!

My general rule for women: attractive, single, mentally stable...pick two. :)

my school is horrible.

Graphically, it's a sharp neg. sloped line :thumbdown:

Looks like there are many people viewing this thread hoping to have future classmates that are easy on the eyes!

the graphs are soo good and soo true, i just HAD to save them to my computer

I find the men in medical school really takes care of ourselves while the women varies. From what I can see, the women are more attractive than the average population but I find that many of them do not overly concern themselves with makeup or fashion, which may be a plus depending on how you look at it.

I don't know about attractive, but I can tell you that my med school class has 0 people who have BMI of above 25. I know we're young, but we're a healthy bunch.

Wouldn't the med school arena be the place to find the... naught librarian or the school girl or hot secretary... looking girls? Or am i putting too much hope that med school won't turn girls into scrubs.

I don't know about attractive, but I can tell you that my med school class has 0 people who have BMI of above 25. I know we're young, but we're a healthy bunch.

BMI is rigged. It says that I am obese. :cool:

I find the men in medical school really takes care of ourselves while the women varies. From what I can see, the women are more attractive than the average population but I find that many of them do not overly concern themselves with makeup or fashion, which may be a plus depending on how you look at it.

Low maintenance = early preparation for residency days?

Don't know about BMI but I've never met a med student who's visually overweight. I wonder if it's cuz adcoms don't admit larger students. Or maybe bigger people are less concerned about health and medicine in general.

I've seen lots of attractive medical students at the schools I visted but don't they say that all of the hot female students usually have boyfriends and are engaged?

Don't know about BMI but I've never met a med student who's visually overweight. I wonder if it's cuz adcoms don't admit larger students. Or maybe bigger people are less concerned about health and medicine in general.

Yea, it's weird. All through college I was obese, like BMI over 30, but just this past year I really fell into a groove finding my passions and interests and working out/eating healthy and I dropped like 65 pounds down to a healthy weight without doing anything crazy, and I look pretty damn good now. lol

I think there is just something inherent in the driven, energetic, confident personality of the accepted med student that is not conducive to obesity.

It will make the competition more fierce though, lol.

I've seen lots of attractive medical students at the schools I visted but don't they say that all of the hot female students usually have boyfriends and are engaged?

Sadly, this is too true. I feel like the vast majority of our class is in a serious relationship.

Serious question:

I am a pre med and so far i dont think that i am unattractive... But everybody has different type of beauty, so first of all you need to define for urself how does Ms. gorgeous looks like...

well...i'm a model and i find myself attractive

sorry guys......i'm not posting any pics......i'm a dude lol

well...i'm a model and i find myself attractive

sorry guys......i'm not posting any pics......i'm a dude lol

Damn thats always like that.... but yeah maybe u'll change ur mind and will post pic. for us girls ;)

Damn thats always like that.... but yeah maybe u'll change ur mind and will post pic. for us girls ;)

Hmmm... yes.... He'll change his mind ;) lol jk.

lol.....in a perfect world, maybe. not on SDN. i dont want an ADCOM to see me in a picture on SDN haha...talk about awkward

lol.....in a perfect world, maybe. not on SDN. i dont want an ADCOM to see me in a picture on SDN haha...talk about an awkward moment

lol.....in a perfect world, maybe. not on SDN. i dont want an ADCOM to see me in a picture on SDN haha...talk about an awkward moment