Are we forgetting why we are on SDN???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

I thought the whole point was to encouraging fellow predents, and help them gain acceptance no matter what their personal circumstances may be. I have been on this site for a little while now and have found it quite useful during my application cycle, but I also wished I saw more people with my stats to encourage me. Now that I have been accepted, I try to be all over these boards and encourage anyone who might be feeling discouraged.

What I dont get is that if the whole point is to help people gain acceptance no matter what their personal circumstances might be, then why are so many people freaking out about me getting accepted with a 3.0 gpa and 18/19/21 DAT?? Saying that I don't deserve it as much as others do... Some of you give great advice and when it helps someone finally gain admission your freak out because they shouldnt have been able to... ??? I dont get that... We should be happy for anyone who gains admission to a dental program, isn't that why we are all here in the first place?

This mainly goes out to all you attacking me... please just stop! I had very low expectations for this application cycle and am very happy with the way it turned out... I will continue to encourage anyone who I feel needs it... So again... please stop with the attacks because from here on out... I'm just going to ignore them...

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on the acceptance and keep on helping your fellow classmates. I got in will lower stats also and it is nice to know that we will have a clean slate in D school. Some people are jealous for whatever reasons and there is nothing you can do but to ignore them and try your best to help other people get in. As of now our undergrad is basically erased and we are all on the same playing field and writing out own destinies.

congrats on getting in. You put alot of money and work into it and you deserve every bit of it. It's too bad that people would bring you down because of an acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats on getting in. You put alot of money and work into it and you deserve every bit of it. It's too bad that people would bring you down because of an acceptance.

Congratulations. I have found that it is a tendency of people that pursue higher degrees to develop elitist attitudes.

When faced with attacks just be glad you don't live in their heads.

congratulation on ur acceptance.
I guess I know why people are freaking out. It's because your GPA and DAT seem lower than people who are getting rejected.
But that also gives us an idea that GPA and DAT are not the only things that we need to focus on.

Is there something besides GPA and DAT that u did that other people didn't?

I thought the whole point was to encouraging fellow predents, and help them gain acceptance no matter what their personal circumstances may be. I have been on this site for a little while now and have found it quite useful during my application cycle, but I also wished I saw more people with my stats to encourage me. Now that I have been accepted, I try to be all over these boards and encourage anyone who might be feeling discouraged.

What I dont get is that if the whole point is to help people gain acceptance no matter what their personal circumstances might be, then why are so many people freaking out about me getting accepted with a 3.0 gpa and 18/19/21 DAT?? Saying that I don't deserve it as much as others do... Some of you give great advice and when it helps someone finally gain admission your freak out because they shouldnt have been able to... ??? I dont get that... We should be happy for anyone who gains admission to a dental program, isn't that why we are all here in the first place?

This mainly goes out to all you attacking me... please just stop! I had very low expectations for this application cycle and am very happy with the way it turned out... I will continue to encourage anyone who I feel needs it... So again... please stop with the attacks because from here on out... I'm just going to ignore them...

GPA and DAT score mean **** all. That's all they are comparing you with. Don't listen to what they say. If I were to do that.... you know where this is going ;)

Wow, I wasn't even aware any of this was going on??
But I must say, I'm pretty dissapointed to hear that is it.

Anywho, congrats futuredentist09 on your acceptance :).

Congrats. I am with you on that. I have a lower DAT score than you and I decided not to post my scores on pre-dents or anywhere because I figured people would say the same thing to me, "How could you get in with a lower score than me?"

Congrats again and good luck!

Thank you all for the kind posts!

congratulation on ur acceptance.
I guess I know why people are freaking out. It's because your GPA and DAT seem lower than people who are getting rejected.
But that also gives us an idea that GPA and DAT are not the only things that we need to focus on.

Yes quite a bit...
I worked in a dental office for 3500+ hours (meaning paid dental experience)
Shadowed dentists 300+ hours (unpaid dental experience)
Volunteered doing many things over 400+ hours
Have 1 year of research experience now
I have been part of the dental club at my school where I have held various positions (currently I am president)
I also volunteered at a dental laboratory for 4 months (made some crowns and bridges)
Went to another country to provide dental care (at my expense)

that's all I can remember off the top of my head...

yes he did. By being a minority. Its good to encourage people but obviously you don't get the point.

A non-minority with a 3.2 and a 19 DATs will not even get an interview in their state school. Haha Encouragement. Are you saying that the color of your skin had NOTHING to do with your accpetances?
Haven't you ever thought that it'll piss others off to hear someone with minority status gets into two schools with even lower scores?

Congrats on your acceptances, now stop trying to encourage people with your scores unless they have minority status aswell because it DOES NOT APPLY to them.

It amazes me how someone who can get into dental school but not understand this logic.

yes he did. By being a minority. Its good to encourage people but obviously you don't get the point.

A non-minority with a 3.2 and a 19 DATs will not even get an interview in their state school. Haha Encouragement. Are you saying that the color of your skin had NOTHING to do with your accpetances?
Haven't you ever thought that it'll piss others off to hear someone with minority status gets into two schools with even lower scores?

Congrats on your acceptances, now stop trying to encourage people with your scores unless they have minority status aswell because it DOES NOT APPLY to them.

It amazes me how someone who can get into dental school but not understand this logic.

It's hilarious looking at the initial post and then reading this one. For those of you who didn't yet know, SDN is all about bickering, putdowns, and misinformation. :laugh:

A non-minority with a 3.2 and a 19 DATs will not even get an interview in their state school. Haha Encouragement.

<---- non-minority , 3.2 GPA, 19 DAT. Applied to 7 schools, 4 interviews (2 instate), 2 acceptances (1 in state).

Members don't see this ad :)
I cannot speak for futuredentist09, but I respond to this thread based on the fact that I have discussed this with many classmates and other students. There are so many factors that adcoms look at beside scores. If scores were the only things they lookaed at, the ONLY THINGS you would send in were your transcript(s) and the DAT scores. But that is not the case. We fill out an application that lists a wide variety of things that allows the adcoms to better get a sense of who we are. It is from there that they say, "let's look at this applicant and see if he will be an asset to this program." An iterview is then offered. The interview is the make it or break it point for people like futuredentist09. They DO NOT have the scores to blow people away, so they have to show off other strengths like MATURITY (more on this), social skills, the ability to articulate and project their thoughts and opinions clearly and confidently, etc. Believe it or not, but this carries more weight than you would think. I have a classmate who got in with a 2.8 (a non-minority male). You may think he did not deserve to get in, but do you know his background. Do you know why he got the 2.8? No. The guy is extremely intelligent and by far one of the better students in the class. If you didn't know his undergrad GPA, you would have never thought he was a 2.8 student. He didn't have the best scores, but then again you will find out that there are a lot of people with great scores in undergrad that plain and simple suck (hand skills wise) in d-school. My point to this is scores themselves are not a clear cut factor in why a person should or should not get in. An adcom that truly wants the best and most motivated dental students will take EVERYTHING into consideration. I beleive that is what they did with futuredentist09 in this case. He/she must have something that all those who are bashing, putting down, complaining do not have otherwise you'd be in his/her shoes and attending d-school in the fall. In the end, the complaining, whining, putting down, etc. basically is a sign of jealousy. People these days don't take credit for their downfalls - only for the good things they do. When things turn out bad, they get upset and blame others.

MATURITY - The personal attacks and complaints about futuredentist09 getting into d-school and how others are more deserving is clearly a sign of immaturity. Now, I will not say I am always Mr. Positive and and that I don't rip people fom time to time because I do. But I will never blameothers for my short comings and put others down when I can't have what they have. This is the type of thing a 4 year old does. If this is the type of attitude that those people here on SDN have and feel the need to complain about futuredentist09 getting into d-school with low scores, then they need to look into the mirror and see they are probably the reson why they didn't into d-school or the school they wanted. If they are going to complain like that here, who knows how they come across to the adcoms? My opinion is that you need to take credit for your achievements and shortcomings equally. Don't complain about how life is unfair. Grow up. Think about WHY you didn't get in and do something about it. You will never get anywhere in life if all you can do is blame others and complain.

For futuredentist09, congratulations on your acceptance to dental school. I am sory that some others here cannot be hapy for you. I tip my hat to you!

Thank you all for the kind posts!

Yes quite a bit...
I worked in a dental office for 3500+ hours (meaning paid dental experience)
Shadowed dentists 300+ hours (unpaid dental experience)
Volunteered doing many things over 400+ hours
Have 1 year of research experience now
I have been part of the dental club at my school where I have held various positions (currently I am president)
I also volunteered at a dental laboratory for 4 months (made some crowns and bridges)
Went to another country to provide dental care (at my expense)

that's all I can remember off the top of my head...

<---- non-minority , 3.2 GPA, 19 DAT. Applied to 7 schools, 4 interviews (2 instate), 2 acceptances (1 in state).

Good Job. Congrats, you can be a real motivator for some people. Not that dude up there.

"let's look at this applicant and see if he will be an asset to this program." An iterview is then offered.

Lol no, more like "let's look at this applicant and see if he will be an asset to this program. Well he is a hispanic with far below average scores, but good ECs, and since we don't have many hispanics here, he'll be an asset to this program." Then the interview is offered.

I think everybody who gets into dental school "deserves" it. If their academic record isn't stellar, then they had to work very hard in other areas to demonstrate that they want it and have the work ethic to accomplish it. I worked hard academically and in other ways, and I'm always happy to see others who do the seem reap the rewards. Congratulations.

Good Job. Congrats, you can be a real motivator for some people. Not that dude up there.

So what if the minority card helped his cause. Do you not think that there are other minorities here who need encouragement. Not all minorities are like yourself with near 4.0 GPAs. They, too, stress out and worry about if they eve have a chance ogetting into d-school. Not everyone is fortunate as you.

He does give hope to others in similar circumstances. He may not motivate you, but he amy others!

Lol no, more like "let's look at this applicant and see if he will be an asset to this program. Well he is a hispanic with far below average scores, but good ECs, and since we don't have many hispanics here, he'll be an asset to this program." Then the interview is offered.

Oh and by the way, it is illegal to favor or discriminate any applicant based on his or her gender, race, ethnicity, etc.

In my school, 30 people applied to dental schools, 4 people got interviews, 1 person got accepted and he is a minority.

But futuredentist09 had many hours of commitment so we shouldn't forget about it.

by the way, what nationalities and races are called minorities besides African American and Afgahnistan? I am from Korea, am I minority too?

It is not always about race or minority.

I am gonna talk about my female friend who got into CASE Dental school of 2011!

Is she a minority? HELL NO! she is an International student from KOREA
Did she have higher GPA? NO, she had about 3.0 GPA for undergrad.
What major? Psychology major
Her DAT score? 20 TS, 20 AA, 19 PAT as far as I know
Her dental experience? Dental mission trip to Africa & worked as a dental assistant in America.

GOOD LUCK!

So what if the minority card helped his cause. Do you not think that there are other minorities here who need encouragement. Not all minorities are like yourself with near 4.0 GPAs. They, too, stress out and worry about if they eve have a chance ogetting into d-school. Not everyone is fortunate as you.

He does give hope to others in similar circumstances. He may not motivate you, but he amy others!

Dude, asians are not considered minority in this country and we are not given any type of affirmative action. So if you're Korean, sorry, no preference for you, you're in the same pool as whites

Yes preferential treatment is illegal, but Affirmative Action is a special case. I'm not saying minorities don't deserve affirmative action, all I'm saying is that a minority can't use their stats to motivate people who aren't since being a minority gives a certain advantage.

And its true that ethnicity isn't everything. However, its a fact that ethnicity esp in the case of a minority is taken into consideration when selecting an applicant since every school wants "diversity"

Wow NyC peter you are like me in many ways. Prepare for the wrath of retaliation.

You should be very proud of yourself! Getting in is a major accomplishment. The people who may attack you probably are just upset that they haven't been accepted, and for the record I have had pre-Dec 1st interviews and am still not in, don't let it get to you and CONGRATS! I honestly wish I was you right now instead of hoping and preying for the best.

Bro u have some SICK EC's. Congrats on your acceptance. Dont listen to the haters.

Dude, asians are not considered minority in this country and we are not given any type of affirmative action. So if you're Korean, sorry, no preference for you, you're in the same pool as whites

Yes preferential treatment is illegal, but Affirmative Action is a special case. I'm not saying minorities don't deserve affirmative action, all I'm saying is that a minority can't use their stats to motivate people who aren't since being a minority gives a certain advantage.

And its true that ethnicity isn't everything. However, its a fact that ethnicity esp in the case of a minority is taken into consideration when selecting an applicant since every school wants "diversity"

Sometimes a few words of encouragement (negligible of the credibility of the source) is all a person might need to boost their confidence, and give them the energy to rekindle that little bit of fire within that will lead them to do some amazing things. I think you should just drop it man, Congrats on ur admission. GLUCK in dschool.

Dude, how asian americans are looked as as a minority or not depends. The US Government does.

That aside, I was referring to afirmative action here without saying the words. And I guess you don't know what encouragement is. It is somethign that encourages, raises one's hope, gives them belief that they too might have a shot at something they desire. Hope is not lost for them. No, futuredentists09's scores are not what you should aim for, but for those people who are already applying or are about to apply and cannot change their scores at this point, it gives them hope that all is not lost for them. That is encouraging for them.

I will not deny that schools do look at minority and they may or may not accpet applicants who are minorities who may have lower scores, but unless you were there at the selction board you are pulling your comments about futuredentist09 out of your butt. You cannot claim this is what got him in. you cannot tell one person with low scores they are a motivator and not someone else who got in. That is actually discrimination when you claim it was their minority status that got them the spot when you don't know.

I'd love to continue this discussion, but I have a General Pathology Final in 9 1/2 hours.

Dude, how asian americans are looked as as a minority or not depends. The US Government does.

That aside, I was referring to afirmative action here without saying the words. And I guess you don't know what encouragement is. It is somethign that encourages, raises one's hope, gives them belief that they too might have a shot at something they desire. Hope is not lost for them. No, futuredentists09's scores are not what you should aim for, but for those people who are already applying or are about to apply and cannot change their scores at this point, it gives them hope that all is not lost for them. That is encouraging for them.

I will not deny that schools do look at minority and they may or may not accpet applicants who are minorities who may have lower scores, but unless you were there at the selction board you are pulling your comments about futuredentist09 out of your butt. You cannot claim this is what got him in. you cannot tell one person with low scores they are a motivator and not someone else who got in. That is actually discrimination when you claim it was their minority status that got them the spot when you don't know.

I'd love to continue this discussion, but I have a General Pathology Final in 9 1/2 hours.

I am not claiming that their minority status was what got them the spot. What I'm saying is the minority status did give them an advantage, therefore he cannot use himself as an example to encourage others who don't have that same advantage.

You got it done man, it doesn't matter what the haters said. Chances are you will never see them ever.

But if you do you can deck them and show them what's up.

Hey congratulations on your acceptance! I'm very very happy for you. Represent!!! I have one wish though be the greatest dentist that I have always dreamed of!!! In case you face some obstacles, like tough times in dental school or even when your a dentist already, remember moi or the others who wanted to be dentist like you but have prolly taken a different path because of we were not considered/not our meant telos. I do hope that you'd be a successful dentist. (I know I sound cliche' but this is how I really feel) Please carry on that dream...which from my stats I don't know if I'd ever ever be.

It's not Luck. I think you are meant to be a dentist.

I am not claiming that their minority status was what got them the spot. What I'm saying is the minority status did give them an advantage, therefore he cannot use himself as an example to encourage others who don't have that same advantage.

Do you not think there aren't people who are in his same situation here? White causion males or asian americans aren't the only ones here!!!!! There are plenty of minorities here which some are in the same boat as the OP. Those are the ones he encourages since it shows them THEY have a chance.

Nothing that is said here on SDN applies to all people. You have to consider that. Some things may only apply to a handful. Just because something doesn't apply to you doesn't mean it doesn't apply to someone else. Even if his acceptance gives hope to only one person (even if it is false hope in some other's eyes), it is still hope. It allows that person's dream to continue. Isn't that what America was built on - Dreams. It is people like you who have obviously either worked their butt off to get where they are or happen to have the ablility to memorize and take test well to achieve the scores they have and get what they want. You need to realize not everyone is like you and that you are the EXCEPTION, not the rule. Therefore, there are people who the OPs acceptance encourages them.

Damn I hate SDN and getting into these discussions. I have the lack of will power to say no to discussions like this especially when it comes down to studying for finals like this. thank goodness I feel ready for the test, so I can slack a little right now. I still should study though.

wait, so SDN is like....a hotline for people with low esteem and junk?

http://www.predents.com/index.php?page=user&user_id=3427

Hmm, Asian too. I guess it blows that theory

http://www.predents.com/index.php?page=user&user_id=3920

Looks like an interview at a state school to me.

http://www.predents.com/index.php?page=user&user_id=1962
http://www.predents.com/index.php?page=user&user_id=5153
http://www.predents.com/index.php?page=user&user_id=2054

Another few for good measure. Your ignorance is forgiven.

wait, so SDN is like....a hotline for people with low esteem and junk?

I think that the encouragement SDN can give people is just one aspect, but a very important one. Obviously it helps us in many other ways too... but you already know that...:D

Thank God I am an Asian.

Not to burst your bubbles but those predents links could've been those of Pacific Islanders. Remember they each classify themselves as Asians/Pacific Islanders/etc. I believe Pacific Islanders are underrep minority as well, therefore a good explanation of why they were admitted with low GPA and not so stellar DAT. Sorry JoonKim. If i'm not mistaken you're korean right? Koreans and "regular" asians are far from being a minority in dental school.

Sorry JoonKim. If i'm not mistaken you're korean right? Koreans and "regular" asians are far from being a minority in dental school.
I don't want to be 'regular' :(

Congrats to you futuredentist09!!

You are such an encouragment to all of us and I can say I am in very similar shoes as you! Not a stellar GPA...or DAT, but must say my EC and everything else are KILLERS!! ITS NOT ALL ABOUT STATS PEOPLE!!!!

You should be glad for all them haters! That should be your motivating facor and your fuel and desire to be the top in your dental school! Screw the past, you got in! Its a fresh start now! So dont be upset from those haters...be glad because all they are doin now is feeding the fire you already have inside!!

There was a study in past that negatively correlated GPA and # of shadowing/volunteering/dental experience hours done ...

Congrats man, you do deserve it. Having that said I understand that some people are cynical of your encouragement because of many things, one thing that is apparently an issue is the race factor.

Your stats were somewhat low but you had tons of EC. I think you deserve it, but at the same time you'd have to understand the perspective of people who aren't minorities (and yes, Asians although are legally minorities, aren't really minorities since they are over represented in the field of dentistry). Please understand this is by no means an attack, but if one was Asian or White and had those scores, it would really be an uphill battle.

Race certainly is a very controversial topic at times and some people tend to ignore it or say race shouldn't/isn't a factor in recruiting the oral health care providers of the future. Simply saying "he just got in because he is Latino" isn't correct just as much as saying "race is not a factor in these decisions, by law it is illegal."

So for those who are on either extreme ends of this argument ("Leave him alone, he got in on his own merits and his race has nothing to do with it") and the ("He just got in because of his race") people, for crying out loud the world is certainly never black and white. The fact of the matter is that race I'm sure certainly played some role in his acceptance but so did his extracurricular and I assume his personality.

The message everyone should take home is that in this world one shouldn't be too naive about things like race as it does realistically play a role in things like D school admissions (my Latino friend once told me the Dean of a school said that because of my friend's race, even if he got himself something like a 19 he'd be golden). At the same time its important to note that people ultimately get in because of their own merits.

congrats on getting in!

I can see both sides of the argument, so im not going to take a side.

Look at my stats
<----- lower gpa than most people accepted, avg DAT score. and I have 2 interviews and waiting to hear back from a few others. God willing, I will get in this cycle. I am by no means a minority. Im a white male. but there are other things on my app to consider. Masters in Business, 26, married, working full time while buying house, studying for DAT, and supporting my family, shows maturity. I had someone on an admissions committee tell me that he would rather see me (26 with slightly lower stats) get admitted than a 21 yr old right out of school. as I really know what i want and may be a little more mature.

so anyway, those of us with lower stats do still have a chance, but you have to make up for it in other areas. But, some schools will "seek out, recruit, and retain, under represented minorities"

good luck and God bless

I don't understand...all this talk about minorities possibly getting preferential treatment...why not just leave race/ethnicity OUT of the application completely and let schools make interview decisions based solely on the person and their accomplishments? I feel that these days, telling someone you're black, white, Asian, what have you, really has no weight in characterizing a person and I don't think it should be used to anyone's advantage/detriment in the dschool application process.

<--- 3.15 GPA, 17 DAT. Applied to 17 schools, 1 interview, 1 acceptance.

I'll take it!

Congrats to EVERYONE who got accepted.

I don't understand...all this talk about minorities possibly getting preferential treatment...why not just leave race/ethnicity OUT of the application completely and let schools make interview decisions based solely on the person and their accomplishments? I feel that these days, telling someone you're black, white, Asian, what have you, really has no weight in characterizing a person and I don't think it should be used to anyone's advantage/detriment in the dschool application process.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this, but what you don't realize is that schools, especially state schools, are required to allot a certain quota in their classes for disadvantaged/minority students or they won't receive max state funding.

Without imposing my own opinion about this issue, and trying to stay objective as possible, I think you'd be extremely NAIVE to think that minority students (particularly African Americans and Hispanics) aren't held to "lower" standards than all other "non-minority" applicants. It happens on all levels - from undergrad college/universities to graduate and professional schools. Just look at the number of scholarships that are offered by schools and outside sources that are EXCLUSIVELY for students of a minority/disadvantaged background.

Now this isn't to say that non-minority (i.e. white and Asian) students with "lower" stats cannot also gain acceptance - each person's story and background is different, and as we all know, gaining acceptance is more than just about having the numbers. But, when people, like the OP, tell inspirational success stories about getting acceptances with sub-par numbers, you CANNOT ignore their minority status as a POSSIBLE factor. The numbers clearly indicate a trend that minority students, for the most part (again, there are exceptions to everything) are able to gain acceptance when their numbers are below (sometimes well below) the national average for matriculants into whatever graduate/professional program they're applying to.

Case in point - I have a friend who's currently applying to MBA programs. Although he's HIGHLY qualified (3.99 GPA, great GMAT scores, works for Deloitte & Touche, etc.), and his dream is to gain acceptance to Wharton, the numbers don't lie. Wharton clearly seeks out and accepts minorities (African Americans and Hispanics) that would, based on scores, GPA, and accomplishments alone, seemingly never have a chance at a program of that caliber if they were competing on an even-playing field with their non-minority counterparts. Thus, despite the fact that my friend has phenomenal stats and would otherwise be an ideal candidate, as a white Caucasian he's actually at facing an uphill battle to try to get into Wharton's MBA program. You can argue circumstances all you want, but the numbers/profiles don't lie.

Again, I'm not at all trying to knock anyone's achievements, minority or not. These are simply the facts. You'll never get administrative faculty at any institution to openly admit this since it'd essentially be reverse discrimination, but it's impossible to argue with the numbers.

Last edited:
Not to burst your bubbles but those predents links could've been those of Pacific Islanders. Remember they each classify themselves as Asians/Pacific Islanders/etc. I believe Pacific Islanders are underrep minority as well, therefore a good explanation of why they were admitted with low GPA and not so stellar DAT. Sorry JoonKim. If i'm not mistaken you're korean right? Koreans and "regular" asians are far from being a minority in dental school.

Lol Finally a word from the wise. Thank You for saving me the trouble of pointing that out

Keep pretending like ethnicity didn't give him an edge. I challenge any minority with below average stats to leave their ethnicity out of their applications. See how many interviews you would get.

NyCzPeter what generation are you? or are you Native Indian American?, Most American families were immigrants. Therefore minorities at some point.

Are you going to be a dentist in the minority neighborhoods? Those citizens also need dentists and doctors that speak their languages and culture. This is USA, wake up..... This is a country of minorities and immigrants...

If being a minority becomes a factor in someone acceptance, so be it... Just like being a woman can be one, or being from rural area, or from the state, or even being American (dont forget that a lot of smart Canadians are also competing). Does it make sense to you if an american school accepts only Canadians because those are the best numbers?

Moreover, the amount on minorities applying is HUGE, so to be one of the favored minorities is a great accomplishment as well.

so relax and be positive and make sure you educate you children to compete and be better than the majority of any group... thats what minority families have been doing for many years........

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.