Are we forgetting why we are on SDN???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol Finally a word from the wise. Thank You for saving me the trouble of pointing that out

Keep pretending like ethnicity didn't give him an edge. I challenge any minority with below average stats to leave their ethnicity out of their applications. See how many interviews you would get.

Good i didnt apply to Stony Brook. I dont want to study with immature people like you. I feel bad for your class.
And you have stats in a Philosophy major, any person (minority or non-minority) with stats lower than you but in a science major will always be MUCH MUCH better than you.

NyCzPeter what generation are you? or are you Indian American?, Most American families were immigrants. Therefore minorities at some point.

Are you going to be a dentist in the minority neighborhoods? Those citizens also need dentist and doctors that speak their languages and culture. This is USA, wake up..... This is a country of minorities and immigrants...

If being a minority becomes a factor in someone acceptance, so be it... Just like being a woman can be one, or being from rural area, or from the state, or even being American (dont forget that a lot of smart canadians are also competing). Does it make sense to you if aa american school acepts only canadians because those are the best numbers?

Moreover, the amount on minorities applying is HUGE, so to be one of the favored minorities is a great accomplishment as well.

so relax and be positive and make sure you educate you children to compete and be better than the majority of any group... thats what minority families have been doing for many years........

Do you mean Native Indian American or people from India?

Members don't see this ad.

Good i didnt apply to Stony Brook. I dont want to study with immature people like you. I feel bad for your class.

Native of course....

NyCzPeter what generation are you? or are you Indian American?, Most American families were immigrants. Therefore minorities at some point.

Are you going to be a dentist in the minority neighborhoods? Those citizens also need dentist and doctors that speak their languages and culture. This is USA, wake up..... This is a country of minorities and immigrants...

If being a minority becomes a factor in someone acceptance, so be it... Just like being a woman can be one, or being from rural area, or from the state, or even being American (dont forget that a lot of smart canadians are also competing). Does it make sense to you if aa american school acepts only canadians because those are the best numbers?

Moreover, the amount on minorities applying is HUGE, so to be one of the favored minorities is a great accomplishment as well.

so relax and be positive and make sure you educate you children to compete and be better than the majority of any group... thats what minority families have been doing for many years........

You completely missed his point - I think as future health professionals, we can all agree that giving preferential treatment to minorities is a GOOD THING and that it will ultimately serve to the benefit of our patients.

He's simply pointing out that you CANNOT ignore the OP's minority status as a contributing factor to his/her acceptance(s) when the OP's numbers are clearly below the national avg for students matriculating into D schools. As people always say, there are many factors beyond just numbers that adcoms consider - nyczpeter is simply pointing out that in the OP's case, his/her minority status is one of those factors (likely a big one, at that). Pointing this out isn't in the LEAST bit being immature, it's just stating the facts.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
yes he did. By being a minority. Its good to encourage people but obviously you don't get the point.

A non-minority with a 3.2 and a 19 DATs will not even get an interview in their state school. Haha Encouragement. Are you saying that the color of your skin had NOTHING to do with your accpetances?
Haven't you ever thought that it'll piss others off to hear someone with minority status gets into two schools with even lower scores?

Congrats on your acceptances, now stop trying to encourage people with your scores unless they have minority status aswell because it DOES NOT APPLY to them.

It amazes me how someone who can get into dental school but not understand this logic.

That is a bunch of bull****. I hate how people claim to know so much and then try to pass misguided information. For your information there are many caucasians and other ethnic groups who get in to dental school with dat scores and gpas like that. Are you on the admissions committee or something for all dental schools in the US? No, so stop telling one to stop encouraging others. Getting in is more than just dat scores and gpa. I am a black international student. Do you know what that means, it means that I have one of the hardest chances of getting in to dental school. I am looked at after everyone. So, ok my GPA was high and my dat scores were a little competitive, but so was everyones to where I applied to. Dental school looks beyond that. Thats why I got interviews at 8 of the 11 schools I had applied too and gained acceptance to 3 schools so far.

You completely missed his point - I think as future health professionals, we can all agree that giving preferential treatment to minorities is a GOOD THING and that it will ultimately serve to the benefit of our patients.

He's simply pointing out that you CANNOT ignore the OP's minority status as a contributing factor to his/her acceptance(s) when the OP's numbers are clearly below the national avg for students matriculating into D schools. As people always say, there are many factors beyond just numbers that adcoms consider - nyczpeter is simply pointing out that in the OP's case, his/her minority status is one of those factors (likely a big one, at that).

He is also claiming that any minority with stats lower than his are not better than him. Minorities with lower stats can only get into a school based on their race ethnicity.
I really wanna know what kind of Asian Nyczpeter is?

He's simply pointing out that you CANNOT ignore the OP's minority status as a contributing factor to his/her acceptance(s) when the OP's numbers are clearly below the national avg for students matriculating into D schools. As people always say, there are many factors beyond just numbers that adcoms consider - nyczpeter is simply pointing out that in the OP's case, his/her minority status is one of those factors (likely a big one, at that).

Another word from the wise. I don't get what these people are even arguing for. Did I say he didn't deserve his spot? All I said was his case is special since he was a minority therefore he can't use himself as an example for non-minorities. Thus, we can't ignore the fact that affirmative action played a role in his acceptances whether or not it was the main reason for those acceptances.

Also, I am not native American, I am a Chinaman. Therefore, I get no preferential treatment.

He is also claiming that any minority with stats lower than his are not better than him. Minorities with lower stats can only get into a school based on their race ethnicity.

Please point out where I made that claim. I am a Chinaman

Edit
And I would like to know what kind of asian you are.

Ummm... don't let emotion cloud your judgement or ability to rationally interpret what people are trying to say here. I don't think he's claiming that at all, nor is he saying that giving minorities preferential treatment during the acceptance process is a BAD thing - on the contrary, I think nyczpeter thinks that it's a great thing (for the system and for they patients that they'll one day serve), as do I.

He definitely did not say or imply that at all. He's just saying that ethnicity cannot be overlooked as a factor in the adcoms' decision making.

And you have stats in a Philosophy major, any person (minority or non-minority) with stats lower than you but in a science major will always be MUCH MUCH better than you.

Lol exactly, I never made any claim of that sort. I never said I was better than anyone, and I never said a minority doesn't deserve a seat in dental school.

You're the one coming in here and talking smack and getting personal by attacking me about my choice of major.

GJ dude, and congrats on your acceptances, now save some face and log off.

He's simply pointing out that you CANNOT ignore the OP's minority status as a contributing factor to his/her acceptance(s) when the OP's numbers are clearly below the national avg for students matriculating into D schools. As people always say, there are many factors beyond just numbers that adcoms consider - nyczpeter is simply pointing out that in the OP's case, his/her minority status is one of those factors (likely a big one, at that). Pointing this out isn't in the LEAST bit being immature, it's just stating the facts.

Why a big one? What do you know? I am 100% sure that there were other minorities with better numbers than the OP... For some reason he was the one accepted... Which proves what we already know that numbers are not everything. Stop taking merit away. I dont know if the OP is a recent immigrant, but try this: Move to Spain learn a new language and get accepted there to study Dentistry, then let me know, if lower scores in timed-acceptance-tests means you are less smart than the others....
Potential is an amazing thing... schools look at that too...

Take a look at all PhDs programs in USA... 90% you would call minorities... sure they are just favored for being a minority..

It is amazing but if someone gets accepted with those numbers, the last thing I think about is that the reason is he/she is a minority. I think that I should do better, that I should improve in other areas.... but some people look for xenophobic excuses... and reasons....

Just like I hate when some minorities say that a white "american" is accepted because he is white...

Last edited:
I recognize that with controversial issues like this one, it's tough for some people to separate rational from emotional thinking. People are often too quick to jump the gun when they need to just take a step back and really think about the points that are being exchanged.... I've been guilty of that on way too many occasions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why a big one? What do you know? I am 100% sure that there were other minorities with better numbers that the OP... For some reason he was the one accepted... Which proves what we already know that numbers are not everything. Stop taking merit away. I dont know if the OP is a recent immigrant, but try this: Move to Spain learn a new language and get accepted there to study Dentistry, then let me know, if lower scores in timed-acceptance-tests means you are less smart than the others....
Potential is an amazing thing... that schools look at too...

Take a look at all PhDs programs in USA... 90% you would call them minorities... sure they are just favored for being a minority..

He was accepted because he of his accomplishments Yes. Does that mean affirmative action did not play a role in his acceptances? Heck No. You're another one that doesn't get the point. Please read the thread thoroughly before making any claims.

That is a bunch of bull****. I hate how people claim to know so much and then try to pass misguided information. For your information there are many caucasians and other ethnic groups who get in to dental school with dat scores and gpas like that. Are you on the admissions committee or something for all dental schools in the US? No, so stop telling one to stop encouraging others. Getting in is more than just dat scores and gpa. I am a black international student. Do you know what that means, it means that I have one of the hardest chances of getting in to dental school. I am looked at after everyone. So, ok my GPA was high and my dat scores were a little competitive, but so was everyones to where I applied to. Dental school looks beyond that. Thats why I got interviews at 8 of the 11 schools I had applied too and gained acceptance to 3 schools so far.

I apologize ahead of time if I misread your argument, but it seems like you do not like Nyczpeter's statement that minority status can help one gain admission with slightly below-average statistics. However, you go on to talk about how disadvantaged you are as a black international student...and then how successful you were in gaining admission to schools where the only thing separating you and other equally competitive applicants was your race. In your case, the race/ethnicity card may not have been used to excuse or justify below-average stats, but you make it sound as if it was used to place you above similar applicants of non-minority status. Either way, it seems like an unfair advantage. Again, I am not meaning to attack, but perhaps you should clarify your argument.

Why a big one? What do you know? I am 100% sure that there were other minorities with better numbers than the OP... For some reason he was the one accepted... Which proves what we already know that numbers are not everything. Stop taking merit away. I dont know if the OP is a recent immigrant, but try this: Move to Spain learn a new language and get accepted there to study Dentistry, then let me know, if lower scores in timed-acceptance-tests means you are less smart than the others....
Potential is an amazing thing... schools look at that too...

Take a look at all PhDs programs in USA... 90% you would call minorities... sure they are just favored for being a minority..

We're not making the comparision between the OP and other minorities... we're strictly talking about in relation to non-minority applicants. You're throwing another variable into the point we're trying to make. No **** each person's application and cirucmstances are unique... I already admitted that I recognize this in an earlier post.

Who the hell is trying to take merit away??? Who the hell claimed that he's less smart than others?? I've explicitly stated in my posts that neither I nor nyzcpeter are trying to undermine the OP's accomplishments.

Wow, you'd think that someone who's being looked at by Harvard would be a little better at interpreting what other people are trying to say.

I apologize ahead of time if I misread your argument, but it seems like you do not like Nyczpeter's statement that minority status can help one gain admission with slightly below-average statistics. However, you go on to talk about how disadvantaged you are as a black international student...and then how successful you were in gaining admission to schools where the only thing separating you and other equally competitive applicants was your race. In your case, the race/ethnicity card may not have been used to excuse or justify below-average stats, but you make it sound as if it was used to place you above similar applicants of non-minority status. Either way, it seems like an unfair advantage. Again, I am not meaning to attack, but perhaps you should clarify your argument.

Here comes the "card"

Lol Finally a word from the wise. Thank You for saving me the trouble of pointing that out

Keep pretending like ethnicity didn't give him an edge. I challenge any minority with below average stats to leave their ethnicity out of their applications. See how many interviews you would get.

He claimed that they get acceptance only because they are minority. (may be i misinterpreted his post but) If that would be the case then minorities would have been getting acceptance to every school they apply. Yes, schools do take into account of minority status but they still look at their whole application.
With good ECs, PS and experience dont you think that a non-minority applicant with that sort of application will get into at least one school in the US.

OP has been rejected from so many schools and received acceptance only to two out of 7 interviews. If being a minority really helps that much then why didnt he get into all the 7 schools? Or why did he get so many rejections?

We're not making the comparision between the OP and other minorities... we're strictly talking about in relation to non-minority applicants. You're throwing another variable into the point we're trying to make. No **** each person's application and cirucmstances are unique... I already admitted that I recognize this in an earlier post.

Who the hell is trying to take merit away??? Who the hell claimed that he's less smart than others?? I've explicitly stated in my posts that neither I nor nyzcpeter are trying to undermine the OP's accomplishments.

Wow, you'd think that someone who's being looked at by Harvard would be a little better at interpreting what other people are trying to say.

you said this: "(likely a big one, at that)." that is taking merit away...

Another word from the wise. I don't get what these people are even arguing for. Did I say he didn't deserve his spot? All I said was his case is special since he was a minority therefore he can't use himself as an example for non-minorities. Thus, we can't ignore the fact that affirmative action played a role in his acceptances whether or not it was the main reason for those acceptances.

Also, I am not native American, I am a Chinaman. Therefore, I get no preferential treatment.

uh... yes you did... obviously not on this thread but you are one of the reasons I started this thread... :bang:

He claimed that they get acceptance only because they are minority. (may be i misinterpreted) If that would be the case then minorities would have been getting acceptance to every school they apply. Yes, schools do take into account or minorities but they still look at their whole application.
With good ECs, PS and experience dont you think that a non-minority applicant with that sort of application will get into at least one school in the US.

OP has been rejected from so many schools and received acceptance only to two out of 7 interviews. If being a minority really helps that much then why didnt he get into all the 7 schools? Or why did he get so many rejections?

How does "gave him an edge" translate to "got acceptance just because they are a minority"????

It's just like saying that having a parent who is an alumni from a school you applied to is "giving someone an edge"... it's JUST ANOTHER FACTOR IN SOMEONE'S APPLICATION THAT YOU CANNOT OVERLOOK.

you said this: "(likely a big one, at that)." that is taking merit away...

Think about this logically... if the OP's numbers were at or above the national average for matriculating applicants, and I said that minority status was a "big factor", then yes, I'd be "taking merit away".

But assuming his ECs are probably (again, I can't speak to the OP's specific circumstances but based on his predents profile, he has comparable dental experience, research experience, and EC involvement as the average D school applicant out there) no more significant than everyone else who applies to D school, would we be incorrect to assume that minority status probably did play a contributing (is that a more satisfactory, PC, word for you?) factor to his acceptance when his numbers ARE low compared the average numbers for matriculating students???

This has gone way too far. I'm done spending time posting on this thread... either way, I congratulate the OP on this achievement, and I have no doubt that you'll be a great dentist one day.

How about a minority with DAT23 and GPA3.9? That guy should be the most accepted student... but he is still reject some places..

Is minority a factor sometimes (like in a tie), sure...But dont say that every minority has an edge, it is not true...What edge? Coming to a country and learning a new language... Being born in pooor family and working part time during college? Being raised in a family where noone can give you advice because no one was accepted to college 50 years ago, because they were minorities? What an edge!!!!

I do not like that thing about affirmative action, but they had to put it because Schools would not accept minorities due to discrimination!!!!

Ok found your quote from another thread... (on the "Are there people getting into d-school with a 19 on the DAT??")
"the only reason you got in with your stats was because of it" ("it" referring to affirmative action)

You majored in philosophy (with a 4.0!) so this should make perfect sense. If you say "only" then it implies there is no other reason for me to be accepted... I rest my case...:rolleyes:

Think about this logically... if the OP's numbers were at or above the national average for matriculating applicants, and I said that minority status was a "big factor", then yes, I'd be "taking merit away".

But assuming his ECs are probably (again, I can't speak to the OP's specific circumstances but based on his predents profile, he has comparable dental experience, research experience, and EC involvement as the average D school applicant out there) no more significant than everyone else who applies to D school, would we be incorrect to assume that minority status probably did play a contributing (is that a more satisfactory, PC, word for you?) factor to his acceptance???

This has gone way too far. I'm done spending time posting on this thread... either way, I congratulate the OP on this achievement, and I have no doubt that you'll be a great dentist one day.

His DAT is average for most schools and yes the GPA is lower, but do you know why?

Do you know if he had to work?

Do you know if he was into research so much that did not take care of other classes...

Do oyou know if the English intensive courses were harder for having to learn a new language, but he aced the sciences?

All those things might tell schools that this guy is better at multitasking and handling pressure or whatever....

You dont know... but the first thing you can think of is : Ah!!! because he is minority...

It is not if you are right or not... my thing is that it is the first thing that gets brought up....

His DAT is average for most schools and yes the GPA is lower, but do you know why?

Do you know if he was into research so much that did not take care of other classes...

Do oyou know if the English intensive courses were harder for having to learn a new language, but he aced the sciences?

All those things might tell schools that this guy is better at multitasking and handling pressure or whatever....

You dont know... but the first thing you can think of is : Ah!!! because he is minority...

It is not if you are right or not... my thing is that it is the first thing that gets brought up....

After what the OP found from one of nyczpeter's previous posts, it looks like our beliefs are different on this issue - I don't believe at all that the OP's minority status was the ONLY reason he got in... that'd be ludicrous.

Again, all I'M saying is that you CANNOT overlook his minority status as a factor in his application... I shouldn't have said that it was a BIG factor... I concede that, and I apologize.

One more thing you said that doesn't make sense... if you're not able to maintain a good GPA while doing all those ECs, how does that show schools that you're good at multitasking???? (again, I am NOT saying that there are other factors like health or family problems... or having to work to pay for school... that contributed to his "lower" GPA).

And trust me... I'm not trying to downplay the accomplishments of minorities and people who come from other countries for a better life in the U.S. - I have the utmost respect for these people b/c my parents were in those same shoes. I know it's not easy in the least bit and that there are significant challenges to overcome. That's why I've said, MULTIPLE TIMES, that if minorities get preferential treatment when applying to schools, I'M ALL FOR IT.

Last edited:

I did work full-time and research did keep me from some classes.
Adcoms did say they liked my gpa with the amount of ECs/volunteer work/dental experience because it shows I am capable of multitasking (something needed in dental school).
trukini you are on the money!:thumbup:

Schools do believe in their students. They will not take any student (minority or non-minority) that they think are not capable of handling the curriculum. They will get ample of minority students with crazy stats which will increase their average gpa/dat and will show that they care for minorities. If they accept a student (any race), they believe in their capabilities.

Nyczpeter, which school do you plan to attend? Just wondering, cos I want to stay on the west coast.

After what the OP found from one of nyczpeter's previous posts, it looks like our beliefs are different on this issue.

Again, all I'M saying is that you CANNOT overlook his minority status as a factor in his application... I shouldn't have said that it was a BIG factor... I concede that, and I apologize.

I am just saying that many minorities get accepted because they have better numbers, skills, POTENTIAL, life experiences, life plans, more maturity, friends in the committee, etc... whatever reason a non-minority can get accepted for.
And you cannot know if the OP is not one of those...

I did work full-time and research did keep me from some classes.
Adcoms did say they liked my gpa with the amount of ECs/volunteer work/dental experience because it shows I am capable of multitasking (something needed in dental school).
trukini -you are on the money!:thumbup:

It is not that hard to see it like that... or at least ask before jumping to predetermined xeno-excuse.... Unless you are used and trained to blame every minority success on affirmative action...

How about a minority with DAT23 and GPA3.9? That guy should be the most accepted student... but he is still reject some places..

Is minority a factor sometimes (like in a tie), sure...But dont say that every minority has an edge, it is not true...What edge? Coming to a country and learning a new language... Being born in pooor family and working part time during college? Being raised in a family where noone can give you advice because no one was accepted to college 50 years ago, because they were minorities? What an edge!!!!

I do not like that thing about affirmative action, but they had to put it because Schools would not accept minorities due to discrimination!!!!

AGAIN, you're completely missing the point. With those numbers, that person's situation is completely irrelevant to this discussion because both of those stats are ABOVE the average...

:bang:.

I've got things to do... I'll look forward to reading all the responses when I get back.

My argument against his was that he should not discourage one from encouraging others. If you read the post I responded to he goes on to explain why the op should not encourage those with his similar stats who are not a minority bc it will be misguided. I pulled my card out (being a black international applicant) because it negates that because he is black thats the only reason he got in due to affirmative action. My getting in has nothing to do with unfairness, or my color of my skin. If you know anything about international applicants you would never bring in the race card. It just not a factor, being an international applicant does not gain me any advantage, in reality in gives all you US citizens (being the caucasian, and non-minority population) an affirmative action over all us international applicants.My getting in has to do with all my hard work. I did not gain acceptance due to being black I gained acceptance due to my overall application which allowed me to stand out. GPA and Dat scores is not all Dental Schools look at, and it was because of this I was able to shine. The OP could have more on the table than others besides dat and GPA and maybe that why he was able to outshine others (including other minorities) and gain acceptances.

Last edited:
After what the OP found from one of nyczpeter's previous posts, it looks like our beliefs are different on this issue - I don't believe at all that the OP's minority status was the ONLY reason he got in... that'd be ludicrous.

One more thing you said that doesn't make sense... if you're not able to maintain a good GPA while doing all those ECs, how does that show schools that you're good at multitasking???? (again, I am NOT saying that there are other factors like health or family problems... or having to work to pay for school... that contributed to his "lower" GPA).

And trust me... I'm not trying to downplay the accomplishments of minorities and people who come from other countries for a better life in the U.S. - I have the utmost respect for these people b/c my parents were in those same shoes. I know it's not easy in the least bit and that there are significant challenges to overcome. That's why I've said, MULTIPLE TIMES, that if minorities get preferential treatment when applying to schools, I'M ALL FOR IT.

I see you are not that bad (j/k) But if you say "if minorities get preferential treatment when applying to schools, I'M ALL FOR IT" it kind of implies that they always do, and it is not true. Many get better numbers and are just smarter.... I am sure you know that, but is the statement that implies you dont... And you might repeat it somewhere and get into this argument with other minorities when really you dont mean harm...

AND by the way Victoria how is having an overall GPA of a 3.94 with a 20/21/20 dat score with over 2000 hours of research, over 100 hrs of shadowing dentists, and involvement in many extra-curricular and community service seem like an unfair advantage to others. I was competitive and shined in my interviews.

AND by the way Victoria how is having an overall GPA of a 3.94 with a 20/21/20 dat score with over 2000 hours of research, over 100 hrs of shadowing dentists, and involvement in many extra-curricular and community service seem like an unfair advantage to others. I was competitive and shined in my interviews.

It is a fair advantage in any case!!! If anyone, ANYONE!!! with those stats is not accepted to at least one dental school then that person when to the interviews drunk....

Like I said, I didn't mean to attack. I definitely respect your accomplishments and I have a better understanding of where you were coming from in your initial post. Thanks for clearing it up. :thumbup:

one last thing before I leave to do my things...

Affirmative action (like it or not) is just a countermeasure to a social issue, the real mistake, that non of us is to blame for.
We have to learn to live with it and understand its purpose and origins. I hope one day it is not needed anymore.

I am a Chinaman. Therefore, I get no preferential treatment.

You make me sick, calling yourself a "Chinaman". Are you ashamed of your heritage? You should be ashamed of yourself, but not because of your race. I expect this type of language from some uneducated racist southern redneck hick, but not from a fellow minority... :mad:

let's keep it civil and avoid personal attacks.

anyone who feels the need to bash someone's acceptance by saying they got preferential treatment because of their race is jealous, pure and simple. Actually it's more like envy than jealousy. stop drinking the haterade.

congrats on your acceptance, dude. I'm sure you worked very hard for it and deserve it like crazy.

To the OP, and ONLY THE OP!: Congrats on your acceptances. Like you said, we come to SDN for information and to encourage fellow pre-dents. From what I can gather off predents.com, your DAT scores are consistent, and not bad at all (this is the point of the DAT.....it equals the field b/c everyone attends different undergrad institutions). I know many people who have both higher and lower individual section scores, but yours are consistent....so good job. Your EC's are outstanding! It shows your dedication to the field, and the healthcare community, which is what it's all about. Personaly, I am inspired by the calibur of your EC's, and think that predents should strive to engage in more activities of the like. So try not to spend to much time trying prove to people on this thread that you deserved your spot. Now............go become a Dentist already ;)!

You make me sick, calling yourself a "Chinaman". Are you ashamed of your heritage? You should be ashamed of yourself, but not because of your race. I expect this type of language from some uneducated racist southern redneck hick, but not from a fellow minority... :mad:

LOL? Righttt because I call my self a chinaman I'm ashamed of my heritage? Dude wake up, I love being Chinese and I'm DAMN proud of it.

You're the one hinting negative connotations to the word when there is no such thing to begin with.

Chinaman = a man from China. Understand?

LOL? Righttt because I call my self a chinaman I'm ashamed of my heritage? Dude wake up, I love being Chinese and I'm DAMN proud of it.

You're the one hinting negative connotations to the word when there is no such thing to begin with.

Chinaman = a man from China. Understand?

It is f*cking offensive. You're an idiot. I'm Asian, you seem to be AZN. I have nothing more to say to you.

Chinaman:Ch*nk::Negro:N*gger

Someone correct me if I'm wrong about this, but what you don't realize is that schools, especially state schools, are required to allot a certain quota in their classes for disadvantaged/minority students or they won't receive max state funding.

Without imposing my own opinion about this issue, and trying to stay objective as possible, I think you'd be extremely NAIVE to think that minority students (particularly African Americans and Hispanics) aren't held to "lower" standards than all other "non-minority" applicants. It happens on all levels - from undergrad college/universities to graduate and professional schools. Just look at the number of scholarships that are offered by schools and outside sources that are EXCLUSIVELY for students of a minority/disadvantaged background.

Now this isn't to say that non-minority (i.e. white and Asian) students with "lower" stats cannot also gain acceptance - each person's story and background is different, and as we all know, gaining acceptance is more than just about having the numbers. But, when people, like the OP, tell inspirational success stories about getting acceptances with sub-par numbers, you CANNOT ignore their minority status as a POSSIBLE factor. The numbers clearly indicate a trend that minority students, for the most part (again, there are exceptions to everything) are able to gain acceptance when their numbers are below (sometimes well below) the national average for matriculants into whatever graduate/professional program they're applying to.

Case in point - I have a friend who's currently applying to MBA programs. Although he's HIGHLY qualified (3.99 GPA, great GMAT scores, works for Deloitte & Touche, etc.), and his dream is to gain acceptance to Wharton, the numbers don't lie. Wharton clearly seeks out and accepts minorities (African Americans and Hispanics) that would, based on scores, GPA, and accomplishments alone, seemingly never have a chance at a program of that caliber if they were competing on an even-playing field with their non-minority counterparts. Thus, despite the fact that my friend has phenomenal stats and would otherwise be an ideal candidate, as a white Caucasian he's actually at facing an uphill battle to try to get into Wharton's MBA program. You can argue circumstances all you want, but the numbers/profiles don't lie.

Again, I'm not at all trying to knock anyone's achievements, minority or not. These are simply the facts. You'll never get administrative faculty at any institution to openly admit this since it'd essentially be reverse discrimination, but it's impossible to argue with the numbers.

I agree

Very good post. Good dental schools are looking at the person as much or more than the are looking at grades. If a dental school comes across someone that they know will serve their community with empathy and pride then they are going to fight over that person. You do not gain a right to dental school because you have a high G.P.A. or DAT score. You gain a right to be in dental school by being a unique indiviual who wants to be a dentist for the right reasons. You gain a right to dental school by wanting to go out into rural areas and treat those who do not have the money or the means to gain treatment. You gain a right to be in dental school by understanding that being accepted is a gift from that school and that gift should be repaid with every chance you get. Those are the people that deserve to be in dental school.

Last edited:
It is f*cking offensive. You're an idiot. I'm Asian, you seem to be AZN. I have nothing more to say to you.

Chinaman:Ch*nk::Negro:N*gger

lol how is it offensive? you're the one offending my by calling me an idiot. I'm 100% chinese and I find no offense in that.
You're not even asian you stupid wannbe. You're predents say American Indian/Alaskan Native. Wtf kind of Asian is that?
Since when was North American part of Asia?

lol how is it offensive? you're the one offending my by calling me an idiot. I'm 100% chinese and I find no offense in that.
You're not even asian you stupid wannbe. You're predents say American Indian/Alaskan Native. Wtf kind of Asian is that?
Since when was North American part of Asia?

He's also 777 years old, widowed with 7 kids....:laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.