Are you guys listing High School stuff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

that70sfan11

Oklahoma State c/o 2014!!
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was very involved in high school and got several awards and was a leader in many things. Are we allowed to list that? Or is it college stuff and beyond??

one last question, where is the explanation section on the VMCAS?? I don't know why I can't find it! 😕
 
hey! yeah, i know i included stuff from high school and i have a friend who did and a friend who didnt.

and the explanation statement, i thought there was a box after the personal statement. but i honestly dont remember. just make sure you fill everything out 🙂
 
The instructions for the community activities section specifically instructs to include things from high school, and I am definitely going to include my vet and animal hours from before college.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I listed every single award from hs. I was extremely competitive in cross country and track, so every single award I won, I listed. I kept a big rubber maid box of everything from running awards, pagents, 4-H, etc. In both interviews that I had, they brought up my running career...they seemed very interested in knowing about it. Your hs years are important too; I think those years are the building blocks of who you are.
 
I would advise you to list significant high school activities/involvement.

For me, listing high school activities and involvement was about demonstrating that I had been involved with animals and science before I pursued a career in psychology in undergrad & grad school. I also used it to show leadership qualities, etc. If it's something that you think demonstrates a desirable quality that you possess - go for it! It can't hurt!
 
I listed the highlights only (i.e. participated in orchestra, couple of varsity sports, etc). I didn't get too in depth because high school was over a decade ago. I have a lot of much stronger, more applicable information in the years since. Plus, I couldn't really remember the specifics from high school- it was after all, ten years ago.
 
I'm listing band, because it was honestly a big part of my life. I'm also listing some volunteer stuff, since I don't have much community service type things during college. I'm on the fence about listing National Honor Society... it was honestly pretty worthless at my high school. But I was indeed a member. Any opinions there?

ETA: This is what VMCAS says specifically about the extracurric/community activities part:
"List and describe extracurricular or community activities in which you were engaged, including those during high school, beginning with the most important. You may include sports and hobbies."
 
Last edited: