are you swimming to the Caribbean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cowboybob

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone considering the foreign med school route (as the final alternative after failing to gain admission in DO and MD schools in the U.S.)? Personally, I would consider other career options (that's my useless opinion).

But, for those who desperately want to become physicians, I have found an useful guide: Foreign Medical Schools for U.S. Citizens by Carlos Pestana, M.D., Ph.D. I am not a paid endorser! I simply bought the book ($29.95), found it very informative, honest, and funny. His top choices for those fortunate enough to have a wad of cash, Ireland or Australia, followed closely by Grenada (St. George's). For those that can learn another language, choices increase (i.e Israel).

------------------
cowboybob

Members don't see this ad.

Cowboy, I am very seriously considering Caribbean schools. I would much rather stay here in the United States and get a medical education that includes manipulative treatment, but the MCAT is keeping me from realizing that goal. Could you tell me when your book was published. So much changes at those schools in the Carbibbean each year. My first choice is AUC if I have to go down there. What do you think of this school after reading your book? These schools definitely have their share of negatives. I can't seem to get any answers about clinical assignments from this school. The uncertainty of whether I would get a residency would probably give me an ulcer if I had to go. Still, I will likely go there if I am not accepted this year (my second time to apply in the US).

Cowboy,

If you don't mind my asking, exactly how is your MCAT? It may not be as bad as you think it is, and if you just present it in the "right" way it might just look a heck of a lot better.

In any event, based purely on anecdotal evidence and my own "research" of each Carribbean school's brochure, St. George's University in Grenada has the best off-shore MD program of all the off-shore schools. If you're so inclined, you may even want to examine some of the programs offered in Ireland, particularly at the Royal College of Surgeons, in Dublin, or programs offered in Australia (as Cowboybob pointed out).

American University of the Carribbean seems to have a rather spotty reputation, not giving its students a truly adequate education. Not that St. George's is the answer, but it's a start.

Tim of New York City.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now, it seems, the book costs twenty bucks. It includes the 1995 book (134 pages) and a typed August 1998 insert (135-159). However, he might have another insert by now. I think its worth the money for anyone seriously considering foreign med school. I found it through the Hunter College pre-med web site (New York) at http://premed.edu/medschls.html#imedschools

This is a pretty cool site in and of itself.

The address is PO BOX 790617, San Antonio, Texas, 78279-0617 (Carlos Pestana). He requests check or money order and a clear address to which the book is to be sent. Other books are more readily available as well (i.e. search on Amazon.com), but I have not looked at those.

In response to the other question. I am applying to DO school (2000). I only got a 26 on the MCAT (V9/BS8/PS8/S) and a 3.2 undergrad GPA (did not decide till late into junior year to go to med school--to busy drinking beer), but now have an MPH (4.0), gobs of all the other stuff a candidate should have (volunteer, etc.). So, I am somewhat hopeful. I simply wanted to pass on what I found out about other avenues (accepted at St. George's for this year, but declined--going US route first).

------------------
cowboybob

turtle, My best MCAT score is 9V6P6B. Overall GPA is 3.55 and Science GPA is 3.79. The only explanation I have is that my first two years of college were not good and consequently I didn't get a good foundation in basic scieneces. Since then, I have virtually gotten a 4.0 in everything including three Organic classes. I repeated the intro science courses that I didn't do well in early on and got A's in them. I've studied all summer for retaking the MCAT this August, and I think that this test is the only thing I need to get admissions comittees to give me a closer look. But, since this will be my third time to take the MCAT, I am not expecting any miracles. I'm now starting to give the Caribbean schools a closer look. I have attended an Open House for St. Georges and AUC. From what I saw, both schools had some shady areas in their programs. I guess that is just something that I will have to be tough about if I have to take that educational route. On the positive side, I guess it would be an adventurous time in my life. I would definitely spend a lot of time traveling (likely even to Europe). Others have had much much worse to get through in their life. Thanks for your comments.

Texan,

Is "shady" a Texan thing? I know what it means, but everyone I know from Texas uses that to indicate conspiracy, immoral, and unethical activities.
smile.gif

Your MCATs don't correlate well with your GPA, especially when you look at your science GPA versus your science MCATs. I realize that you retook the early science classes, and that's why your science GPA now is nearly a 3.8. Even with respect to Orgo, which you received straight As in, you still took a 6 in Biological Sciences, of which Orgo is nearly half. This may indicate a weakness in your undergraduate science preparation. A good review course may help you (hopefully you've enrolled in one by now!)

The only thing you can hope for at this point is a healthy MCAT this August, but you mentioned you've taken it two times prior. What was the first, or the other, result? Is there something about the MCAT that perhaps you're overlooking? Are you practicing MCAT-type questions or merely reviewing your class notes?

Tim of New York City.

Turtle, Unfortunately I live in an area of TX where that the nearest review course is a two hour drive from my residence. The first time I took the MCAT was last August 7V6P6B. I didn't study much at all. I was still trying to get my GPA up to par and took the test hoping for the best knowing that I would most likely have to reapply this year and could retake the test. In the spring, I studied prudently for the MCAT using a friend's Columbia Review Books while retaking two intro courses (one Physics & one Biology). I took three AAMC practice tests before taking the Spring MCAT and my scores ranged from (21-25). I used Kaplan's Comprehensive Review book to study for taking the test this August. I have focused heavily on the sciences. I plan on taking two practice tests this week and two early next week. As for the term "shady", your definition was pretty good. I often use it as an adjetive when refering to someone or something which can not be counted on. Maybe that was a little harsh, but I have many unanswered questions about these schools that I can't seem to get an answer for. Thanks for your time. I truly appreciate your responses and hope that in October I will be asking you for advice on which Osteopathic school you think is the best. I already have a couple of favorites, and I can't imagine how exciting it will be if I get back competetive scores this October.