Army Veterinary HPSP - Class of 2026

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mvet26

Reaction score
I'm a current first-year veterinary student applying for the Army HPSP. I have searched through older forums but haven't seen many for this cycle. My packet is basically complete (at least for paperwork to submit on my end and completing MEPS). I received an email a couple of days ago saying they decided to implement interviews as part of the application. Does anyone have any insight on how these interviews will go, as I believe it's been part of the application for other professional schools (medical, dental, etc.)? Any advice would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all, does anyone know when we will hear if we have been accepted into the program or not?

Hey all, does anyone know when we will hear if we have been accepted into the program or not?
My recruiter told me the board is meeting January 9-13th and we should hear back by the end of January!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My recruiter told me the board is meeting January 9-13th and we should hear back by the end of January!
Great to know! Mine said something similar, but I was struggling to remember the specifics. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I am a current second year HPSP student:) I received my acceptance into the program at the very end of my winter break, or maybe like right when school started, right around the 27th of January, best of luck to you guys!

Another applicant here! I was also told end of January for board decisions to be released, specifically around the 27th. Best of luck!
Not sure where else to ask but I am wondering if there’s any recent HPSP grads (or students) that can chime in and give some perspective on what they’re up to now. Would love to hear about your experiences so far.

Fingers crossed for all of us that applied! Like bucktango said, any experiences or advice from current/former HPSP recipients would be appreciated!

Hi. Another applicant here. I was told by my recruiter on January 10th that the last day the board was convening was January 11th and that they had 2 weeks from that date to send results. With that information, I’d expect to hear no later than January 25th. However, with MLK day I’m not sure if that gives them an extra day. I’m guessing we’ll hear some time next week!

Just got the call from my recruiter that results were released!! I was selected! Hoping for the best for everyone!!

Just got the call from my recruiter that results were released!! I was selected! Hoping for the best for everyone!!

Congratulations!! My recruiter also told me I was selected :)

Best of luck to all other applicants!

Reactions: 2 users
Just got my call with a scholarship as well :) Congratulations to you all!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone!! I also got the call today that I was selected!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats everyone! Is anyone else still waiting to hear? No word yet on my end.

Congrats everyone! Is anyone else still waiting to hear? No word yet on my end.
I reached out to my recruiter yesterday; she confirmed for me that I got picked up as well. She also mentioned that there was going to be a little bit of a wait for the list to "officially" come out along with further instruction, so I have a feeling we all got a crack at the list on the early side. I think notifications are still going on, so I hope for the good word for you soon! Congrats to those who made it, and fingers crossed for those still waiting to hear!

I reached out to my recruiter yesterday; she confirmed for me that I got picked up as well. She also mentioned that there was going to be a little bit of a wait for the list to "officially" come out along with further instruction, so I have a feeling we all got a crack at the list on the early side. I think notifications are still going on, so I hope for the good word for you soon! Congrats to those who made it, and fingers crossed for those still waiting to hear!

Definitely still the early stages! Had anyone heard about what is expected of us for the summer? I know we owe 45 days of AD service but I’m wondering when.

Definitely still the early stages! Had anyone heard about what is expected of us for the summer? I know we owe 45 days of AD service but I’m wondering when.
I could be wrong but from what I understand, we don’t attend BOLC (7 weeks) until summer of 2024 after the scholarship is in effect. So no obligation this summer.

I could be wrong but from what I understand, we don’t attend BOLC (7 weeks) until summer of 2024 after the scholarship is in effect. So no obligation this summer.
I believe you're correct - we'd have active duty training for the summer of 2024 and 2025 since the scholarship doesn't officially start until this fall, from my understanding

I believe you're correct - we'd have active duty training for the summer of 2024 and 2025 since the scholarship doesn't officially start until this fall, from my understanding
Oh interesting. We start clinics April of 2025 and go through the summer though, so I wonder what I'm supposed to do in that case. Hopefully we get answers soon!

Oh interesting. We start clinics April of 2025 and go through the summer though, so I wonder what I'm supposed to do in that case. Hopefully we get answers soon!
I have no detailed understanding of this, but it appears that some of the upperclassmen HPSPers worked with the school to conduct the ADT during the school year in lieu of other blocks of instruction (someone went during their fall semester, another HPSPer is at ADT now.) So sounds like lots of flexibility, but I acknowledge that YMMV since we're all at different schools.

The attached handbook probably is floating around on the interwebs, but I rec'd this from a helpful upperclassmen. A lot of fluff, and nothing specific to our timeline but does have some gems. Hope it is useful to someone! LMK if someone has a more recent version.

I'm eager for an email, info or other official correspondence - I had just the phone call. Anyone else receive a packet or letter or something? It is still way early, and I'm unreasonably impatient here - just thought I'd ask tho. ;)

Attachments

• Chapter1- Responsibilities and Restrictions.pdf
    290 KB · Views: 76
  • Chapter2- Contractual Obligation and Creditable Service.pdf
    272.5 KB · Views: 65
  • Chapter3- Entitlements and Military Pay.pdf
    372.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Chapter4- Active Duty for Training- ADT.pdf
    678.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Chapter5- Undergraduate Licensure and Board Examinations.pdf
    363.3 KB · Views: 61
  • Chapter6- Physical Examination Requirements.pdf
    97.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Chapter7- Reimbursement to Participants.pdf
    561.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Chapter8- Leaves of Absence.pdf
    368.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Chapter9- Disenrollment and Discharge.pdf
    350.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Chapter10- Reimbursement to the Government.pdf
    238 KB · Views: 63
I have no detailed understanding of this, but it appears that some of the upperclassmen HPSPers worked with the school to conduct the ADT during the school year in lieu of other blocks of instruction (someone went during their fall semester, another HPSPer is at ADT now.) So sounds like lots of flexibility, but I acknowledge that YMMV since we're all at different schools.

The attached handbook probably is floating around on the interwebs, but I rec'd this from a helpful upperclassmen. A lot of fluff, and nothing specific to our timeline but does have some gems. Hope it is useful to someone! LMK if someone has a more recent version.

I'm eager for an email, info or other official correspondence - I had just the phone call. Anyone else receive a packet or letter or something? It is still way early, and I'm unreasonably impatient here - just thought I'd ask tho. ;)
I'm also very eager, lol. My recruiter told me he would call me back once my scroll is signed (which I believe takes a few weeks) to continue with the paperwork, which would likely be the case for everyone. Thanks for sharing those files! Does anyone know if our first ADT has set dates each year, or does it vary (haven't gotten a chance to look through those files yet, in case it's somewhere on one of those)? Just trying to plan ahead so I can make the most of our last free summer!

Just heard back that my scroll has been released! My recruiter said I can now figure out when I'd like to finish the paperwork and commission

I was able to meet my recruiter at a career fair today and review my contract. In response to a previous question, I was told today that we can do a combined BOLC and DCC training during summer 2024 (may to mid july). This satisfies 2nd year active duty training requirements. We will do 2 ADT’s at army veterinary installations (each in a different army fiscal year) during our 4th clinical year to satisfy 3rd and 4th year ADT requirements. These two ADT’s will be done as clinical rotations.

Last edited:
Hi, does anyone know how many applicants are selected to receive the scholarship?

Follow up question, do you have a better chance of getting the scholarship if you were in the ROTC?

Hi, does anyone know how many applicants are selected to receive the scholarship?
Follow up question, do you have a better chance of getting the scholarship if you were in the ROTC?
I can’t quite remember, but I believe last year there was about a 25% acceptance rate. As for ROTC involvement, I think any previous military experience would be considered a positive thing on an application.

For the HPSP class of 2026, have any of you heard anything about DCC/BOLC dates this summer? I talked with my advisor and she said the tentative dates are May 30th to July 13th and that we would all get confirmation and info to get signed up before the end of December. I have yet to hear anything though.
I also met with another gal in the program who’s a year ahead of me and she gave some great advice and general info I thought I’d share 🙂
- If you’re planning on going to DCC/BOLC, get on base and get your ACU’s as soon as you can. Sizes in the hot weather uniforms can start selling out in the spring, so it’s best to get them in the winter.
- There’s no need to buy the dress uniform yet, as you won’t need it for DCC/BOLC.
- When getting on base for the first time, you’ll be saluted because you’re an officer. Salute back before proceeding.
- Your ADT’s for 3rd and 4th year will be done as “self-initiated” clinical rotations that will fit into your 4th year schedule.
- For DCC/BOLC we’ll spend 3 weeks in Texas (in a hotel) and another 3 in Oklahoma (shared bunks).

I can’t quite remember, but I believe last year there was about a 25% acceptance rate. As for ROTC involvement, I think any previous military experience would be considered a positive thing on an application.
25% of how many applicants ? Is it per school or nationwide ?
My daughter applied but she doesn’t have an ROTC background at all, so she’s very nervous that she won’t get it.