Asdoh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
nothing, but still hopeful

Members don't see this ad.

Hmm...hope someone calls again soon and finds out how many seats are filled (with paid deposits) at this point. Last time I called it was 38, but I'm sure it's more now...:eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
I last spoke with Joyce two weeks ago, and was told the info about 54 offers (with 38 paid deposits) the rest being due by Feb. 1st. Well, Feb. 1st has passed, so I wonder how many are paid now, and how many seats are left...

I'm just going to have nubs left for fingers pretty soon...so my dentistry career hangs in the balance lol.

Omg, nobody (from sdn) heard anything all week?...even though this week was supposed to be the next meeting of the adcom! Ugh...:eek:

My guess is that we won't hear anything until interviews are through. I think we are the leftovers. You know....the one's that get picked last in gym class. I guess as long as we get picked it doesn't really matter at the end of the day.

Did anyone have an interview today? I think they scheduled interviews for this afternoon, and it would appear to be the last interview invites to have gone out...

Did anyone have an interview today? I think they scheduled interviews for this afternoon, and it would appear to be the last interview invites to have gone out...

Yes there were interviews today but in the morning. We have interviewees tomorrow and that might be the last day. As of right now there are 4 completely open seats, and 6 seats that have not had a deposit placed on them. good luck everyone

Yes there were interviews today but in the morning. We have interviewees tomorrow and that might be the last day. As of right now there are 4 completely open seats, and 6 seats that have not had a deposit placed on them. good luck everyone

Wow...it's really getting down to the wire. Can you tell us how many people are still in the top group?

I wonder if they will send out more acceptances this week???

Ok so I'm going to try another vulcan mind-meld with Dr. Polk from 2000 miles away...I'll let you know if it works, lol.

In all seriousness though, Lostinbull, you've been very helpful...thanks. If anyone calls Joyce this week or hears anything more specific about the "top group" or when the class fills up, please do tell! :luck:

How long have you guys been waiting because I have only been waiting for six weeks and I am already going crazy. I can't imagine interviewing before Dec. 1st and still waiting to hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long have you guys been waiting because I have only been waiting for six weeks and I am already going crazy. I can't imagine interviewing before Dec. 1st and still waiting to hear.

Try October 24th. . .

Ouch....I feel for you. Have you interviewed or been accepted anywhere else though?

Yes, I've been accepted to 2 other schools. That does make the anticipation a little easier.

Any updates? Seems like the adcom should be meeting to fill those last 4 seats any day now? Yikes! :luck::luck:

So.......does anyone know WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!!! Did they actually finish interviewing on Tuesday? Lostinbul said that "might" be the last day. I wonder if it was.

Does anyone know how many people are in the "top group"?

I hate to sound like I'm whining, but I think asdoh's admissions policy is flawed and the people running the admissions office is disorganized.

First of all, I heard this guy in my interview group got accepted to asdoh two weeks ago because his father is a dentist and I'm guessing, that the father donated $$$$$$$ to the school. It's probably true as his father is a big-name dentist in the Phoenix area. THat's so unfair, especially for us ordinary applicants who are just trying to enter dental school based on our own merits.
I don't know if he, the accepted applicant, was trying to be bashful, but his GPA was quite low, and some of his DAT scores were below the national average.

To me, the ad coms (zais, evans, polk) either like you or dislike you based on their own opinions. And that, to some extent, could mean family background (i.e. your father or mother is a dentist) and/or financial background. Yeah, I enjoyed my interview with dr z and dr evans, but I think a larger committee should decide on who gets ranked in the "lists."

And yes, every good applicant who qualified for an interview with asdoh can stick small metal pegs into a board within 30 seconds with either hand, or answer a freaking question on what's the maxillary and maxilla bone of the jaw or how many branches there are in the US gov. But what does that have to do with dentistry?

Now somebody here says that there are only two spots available?

This is ridiculous! I felt like I wasted my time and money flying to phoenix and wasting my time there when I missed one of my biochem lectures!! :mad:

I also would lik to say that joyce haynie LIED to my group that she would be available to answer our questions about our status if we email her. Low and behold, she NEVER responded to any of my emails. I also contacted another student in my group and he also told me the same thing - joyce never responded to his email questions.

Just because asdoh is a new dental school doesn't mean they should have a huge chip on their shoulder and never respond to our questions.

^^ The only factor that makes ASDOH an appealing dental school to many applicants is the new facilities. For example, that automated hand-washing machine. The digital X-ray machines and the touch-screen feature in the clinic was also appealing.

However, applicants tend to not look at the bigger picture. That is, the school is still developing and the curriculums at ASDOh are constantly being changed. The instructors who are brought in to lecture at ASDOH may not come back the next year. The school also doesn't have a reputation, as it's only been around for what....four years?

So nobletooth, don't worry if you don't make it on getting into ASDOh. There are plenty of other great dental schools out there.

And if you think joyce is not returning your phone calls because of personal reasons, well, it's their loss.

So.......does anyone know WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON!!! Did they actually finish interviewing on Tuesday? Lostinbul said that "might" be the last day. I wonder if it was.

March 5th is going to be the last day of interviews and there are 3 people coming on that day. I'm not sure how many spots will still be available, but I do know that they do not interview if there are no spots still to be given out. So.......I'm afraid that some of you will still have a wait a head of you. Hang in there.

^^ The only factor that makes ASDOH an appealing dental school to many applicants is the new facilities. For example, that automated hand-washing machine. The digital X-ray machines and the touch-screen feature in the clinic was also appealing.

However, applicants tend to not look at the bigger picture. That is, the school is still developing and the curriculums at ASDOh are constantly being changed. The instructors who are brought in to lecture at ASDOH may not come back the next year. The school also doesn't have a reputation, as it's only been around for what....four years?

So nobletooth, don't worry if you don't make it on getting into ASDOh. There are plenty of other great dental schools out there.

And if you think joyce is not returning your phone calls because of personal reasons, well, it's their loss.

I guess if the only thing that stuck out to you was the automated hand-washing machine, this place is not for you for sure. For me the things that stuck out for me above and beyond what you mentioned includes:
1st national board after 1st year
Modular class set up
External clinical rotations for half of 4th year
tons of clinical experience
All text books on laptop
smaller class size
top of the line sim lab
community health focus
etc, etc,

I don't disagree with you however about there being other great schools out there, and I hope that you all get into your top choice. I do wonder sometimes, why people feel the need to be critical of things they have very limited knowledge about......maybe its what you don't know that scares you?

To me, the ad coms (zais, evans, polk) either like you or dislike you based on their own opinions.
I also would lik to say that joyce haynie LIED to my group that she would be available to answer our questions about our status if we email her. Low and behold, she NEVER responded to any of my emails. I also contacted another student in my group and he also told me the same thing - joyce never responded to his email questions.

Noble, anyone who's done research (before) going to an ASDOH interview would have known that they have quite a different approach to their process. Some people love it and some hate it. I'm assuming you fall into the latter, however from your quote above, I still think you may be missing the point.

Of course the adcom make their decisions based on whether or not they like you after the interview...isn't that the point of interviewing? Albeit, grades may play less of a roll here (post-interview) than at some other school's, but I think the way they look at it is, if you're qualified enough to receive an interview invite, then the subsequent ranking should be based off of their impressions of you at the interview. I don't know..that's just my 2 cents.

And in defense of Joyce, I've emailed her (and received a response), I've called her (and had an extremely helpful convo), and I've recently emailed again (and haven't received a response yet)...I think her availability depends on the happenings at the school. She will get back to you though if you hang tight. You've got to remember that she's also in charge of all the admissions at Kirksville as well. Well good luck...:luck:

I hate to sound like I'm whining, but I think asdoh's admissions policy is flawed and the people running the admissions office is disorganized.

First of all, I heard this guy in my interview group got accepted to asdoh two weeks ago because his father is a dentist and I'm guessing, that the father donated $$$$$$$ to the school. It's probably true as his father is a big-name dentist in the Phoenix area. THat's so unfair, especially for us ordinary applicants who are just trying to enter dental school based on our own merits.
I don't know if he, the accepted applicant, was trying to be bashful, but his GPA was quite low, and some of his DAT scores were below the national average.

To me, the ad coms (zais, evans, polk) either like you or dislike you based on their own opinions. And that, to some extent, could mean family background (i.e. your father or mother is a dentist) and/or financial background. Yeah, I enjoyed my interview with dr z and dr evans, but I think a larger committee should decide on who gets ranked in the "lists."

And yes, every good applicant who qualified for an interview with asdoh can stick small metal pegs into a board within 30 seconds with either hand, or answer a freaking question on what's the maxillary and maxilla bone of the jaw or how many branches there are in the US gov. But what does that have to do with dentistry?

Now somebody here says that there are only two spots available?

This is ridiculous! I felt like I wasted my time and money flying to phoenix and wasting my time there when I missed one of my biochem lectures!! :mad:

Just because asdoh is a new dental school doesn't mean they should have a huge chip on their shoulder and never respond to our questions.

You're entitled to your opinion but don't smear people's names on here. Come on. I have had the same experience as you when I emailed Joyce (no response) but that could be due to a lot of things. In fact, I know a close personal friend of her's and she tried emailing her at the school and never got a response. I have called Joyce twice (yesterday in fact) and have been able to get a hold of her both times and she has been nothing but helpful, straight-up, and nice. She's not a liar, she's just busy. I know I may be coming off like an apologist but that's just the way I see it.

Bottom line...if you interviewed and didn't like the school then don't go. In fact, withdraw you application...that will give me and the other people on here (who are all itching to get in) a better chance of receiving an offer.

Every year it seems as if there is a new wave of applicants who have there opinion about a school quickly change because things didn't go their way or they did not get accepted. And shortly there after they turn up on this website bad mouthing ASDOH and their Admissions policies. Like Jim85213 said, If you didn't like ASDOH and their interview methods just withdraw your application and move on. Go on to the other threads of schools you got rejected at and start bashing their admins and their policies. Whatever makes you feel better, I guess.

Wow...I agree with you!! I got accepted to around 8 schools and still counting....Arizona sticks out by far compared to others. I've interviewed and was accepted to very reputable schools but Arizona leads the way by far. I've been in the dental field for a long time and I know what I'm looking for MY PERSONAL needs in a dental education. Arizona fits my needs in many ways. I really like the modular set up because thats the way I study anyway and feel I could do better in this type of set up. I enjoy the set up of DTRs at the school and of course the new technology becuase thats what I will be using is the newest tech out. Anyways, everyone should find what type of education they're looking for. I agree with some people that going to a school with reputation is awesome. But let me tell you....I have BIG plans for myself and making a difference in peoples lives. Whether I go to Harvard, Columbia..etc I'm still going to be a dentist and still going to be accomplishing my goals. Again and again...we have to remember its what we put in ourselves in learning to become the best and at the same time seeing results. So there is no school that is not good enough because we all have the same title when we graduate from dental school. It's up to us to practice what we learned. (I've worked with many dentist..lets just say it doens't matter where you graduate..it's what you learn when you graduate)
I guess if the only thing that stuck out to you was the automated hand-washing machine, this place is not for you for sure. For me the things that stuck out for me above and beyond what you mentioned includes:
Modular class set up
All text books on laptop
smaller class size
top of the line sim lab
community health focus
etc, etc,

I don't disagree with you however about there being other great schools out there, and I hope that you all get into your top choice. I do wonder sometimes, why people feel the need to be critical of things they have very limited knowledge about......maybe its what you don't know that scares you?

Man, you are going to have a long career ahead of you. Just wait until you try to get into an ortho program (or anything else your heart desires) and discover that many applicants are given positions because their family donates money, or their father graduated from the program.

...or answer a freaking question on what's the maxillary and maxilla bone of the jaw... But what does that have to do with dentistry?

The maxilla has nothing to do with dentistry. Sheesh.

Yea, Gavin totally agree with you man! But I still want in to ASDOH sooo bad! I think I'm going to go take out a loan and pay the admins lots of money lol! How much do you think I should take out?

Love the school! Want the school! Give me the school!!! :)

That's the way this world works if you have connections....have you not heard that half the class of UOP are children of Alumni!!.... :D

I guess if the only thing that stuck out to you was the automated hand-washing machine, this place is not for you for sure.

Why not? I never said I didn't like the school. I just was talking to noble about how it's their loss if they don't respond to his email or his voicemails he left on joyce's voicemail.

For me the things that stuck out for me above and beyond what you mentioned includes:
Modular class set up
All text books on laptop
smaller class size
top of the line sim lab
community health focus
etc, etc,

Well good for you! :) I was impressed with a lot of things at asdoh as well. I like the modular class curriculum and the new clinic. But if the administration or the admissions office wants to only answer calls from certain applicants, then I think there's something wrong with the folks working in the admissions office. At least it would take a week at most for a typical admissions office secretary to get back to me. So noble is not the only guy who's not getting any response from the admissions office.

Heh? I was only responding to what noble was talking about.

She doesn't respond to my emails either. It's kind of frustrating when you call and you are directed to send email for status and you never hear back.

She doesn't respond to my emails either. It's kind of frustrating when you call and you are directed to send email for status and you never hear back.

Yeah, I hear you. At least we're in the same boat. I guess I have to call the office at a different time. But at least I would expect joyce to call us back within two weeks.

Honestly, I'm giving up on Asdoh because their class for fall 07 is almost full. Like I said to nobletooth, there are other great dental schools out there. New facilities at a dental school doesn't mean you'll be a great dentist when you get out of dental school. It all depends on how much work and effort you put into your studies and clinical experience that makes you a great dentist.

Anyone hear good news today? :luck:

So, anyone know how big the "top group" is? I still haven't heard anyone mention it.

If anyone thinks that calling to ask your status is going to help your application, I suggest you reconsider. I know that Joyce is extremely busy working on admissions for the new DO school class that is starting this fall. If you HAVE to know because ASDOH is your first choice and you need to decline at another school, then call her and fill her in. If you're just dying to find out...then wait patiently. Patience and flexibility is a must at ASDOH and if you come off as the impatient annoyance your odds of acceptance will rapidly decline.

ASDOH's admission is very unpredictable. There are so many applicants and the criteria used to select applicants is so different from anywhere else. There are lots of great applicants who should get in here, but they just don't because we only accept 54 (or whatever the class size is right now). Best of luck to all.

so I was checking out my aadsas account and today my supplemental info changed saying that ASDOH hasnt received my application fee or DAT scores, even though they have ... anyone else get this message?

so I was checking out my aadsas account and today my supplemental info changed saying that ASDOH hasnt received my application fee or DAT scores, even though they have ... anyone else get this message?

Under ASDOH, mine now says I am invited for an interview. Funny, I interviewed in October. HAHA!

Yep, same here...says "missing DAT scores & transcripts". Must be an anomoly because of the aadsas shutdown today.