Asdoh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, in an email on Tuesday she said I was in the top group being considered. But she also said there is a fairly large top group, so there is no guarantee I will be accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

im guessing the top group is a pretty good bet you will get in. not only will the top group fill the remaining seats but they will fill the alternate seats which i hear can be from 12-15 when its all done.

All I could offer, is that at my interview, we were told that last year:
All of the top group were offered positions.
"Most" of the middle group were offered positions.
And in 4 years, only a "couple" from the bottom list were offered late positions.

I have no idea what "most" means...It could be 7 of 10, or 18 of 20, or...
But I would tend to think that if you are in the top or mid group your chances have to be pretty solid b/c they do weed out the totally incompatible applicants within 30 days of the interview (with a rejection letter). Again all of this is purely based on the information from my notes taken on interview day :)

Members don't see this ad :)
ctdent, i agree with your last post, thats what they told us at our interview, so im guessing that they make the group size managable so that the top group and some of the middle group get in.
now i hope i am in top group

From what I am seeing the trends have changed and the "top group" is no longer as prestigious as it has been in past years. Although I am a very positive person I would not advise anyone in the top group to hold their breath. This may sound negative but it's reality. The applicant pool has never been as qualified as a whole as this year according to a member of the AZ admin.

How many on SDN have been told that they are in the top group?

I hope you all get in soon since it is one of the most stressful times I had ever experienced when I was just waiting.
The only problem that I see with you being in the top waiting list group is that ASDOH has the highest percentage of people accepted actually chosing to go here from what I hear. Most dental schools send out almost twice as many acceptances as they have seats for since most people will opt to go elsewhere. ASDOH sends out maybe 80 or so acceptances total for the 60 seats they have this upcoming year.
Keep your fingers crossed since we all know you would not have to go elsewhere and ignore all those dumb posts about accreditation.

From what I am seeing the trends have changed and the "top group" is no longer as prestigious as it has been in past years. Although I am a very positive person I would not advise anyone in the top group to hold their breath. This may sound negative but it's reality. The applicant pool has never been as qualified as a whole as this year according to a member of the AZ admin.

How many on SDN have been told that they are in the top group?

I haven't been told anything. Has anyone heard from Joyce lately? I know some of you said that you called her but has she been responding to email?:confused:

she is very good about responding to emails. In fact, in most cases she responds the same day

So I just got an email invite for an interview today, and the only available days they have to interview are 2/5 and 2/6 (thanks for the notice). Does anyone know how many seats are still even available? Would it be worth going on this interview? I would just go just to go, but the airline ticket alone is running $750 for this!

So I just got an email invite for an interview today, and the only available days they have to interview are 2/5 and 2/6 (thanks for the notice). Does anyone know how many seats are still even available? Would it be worth going on this interview? I would just go just to go, but the airline ticket alone is running $750 for this!

I got the feeling there was still 10-15 spots left. What will cause that number to vary, is if accepted applicants decide not to send in deposits. That being said, if ASDOH is where you would like to go, even if there is only one spot left, it is worth a shot.

Okay I finally broke down and called Joyce. She's such a nice lady. She pretty much comfirmed everything that has been going around the forums. Just to reiterate, she said that there are 54 offers out (I assume that includes those that have put down deposits and those that have yet to), they will be done interviewing by the end of February (tenatively), and the admissions committee will be meeting in the middle of next week. She also mentioned that the next round of offers will be going out the week after next.

Members don't see this ad :)
If all accept their spots, there will be 6 spots left. The reason I said 10-15 in my prior post was that an Admin told me that if history repeats itself, about 4-8 of the most recent applicants accepted will decline their seat. Good luck to everyone.

If all accept their spots, there will be 6 spots left. The reason I said 10-15 in my prior post was that an Admin told me that if history repeats itself, about 4-8 of the most recent applicants accepted will decline their seat. Good luck to everyone.

Do you know how many they keep in the "Top Group?"

Do you know how many they keep in the "Top Group?"

I don't know the exact # in the top group, but I have been told that due to the quality of applicants this year, not everyone in the final group will get accepted. So I wonder how they determine, the best of the top group?

I was feeling pretty good about being in the "top group" until now. . .

I'm determined to call tomorrow. I tried today, but got a recording saying that if the call was to check on status, then to email Joyce. So I didnt think she would be too receptive on the phone about status. But from the sounds of it, she is...which is great! How detailed does she get about chances and what not?

There plan was to go up to 80 for this cycle, thus the 80 on their website. However, a delay in the construction of the clinic does not allow for a class of this size until next cycle. So, they have decided to go with 60. I'm sure they just failed to update their website. 60 seats is definitely the number.

Are you guys sure Joyce is good at responding to your emails?

I've sent her several emails within the past week. She's only responded to one of my emails. I also asked her via email about my status, and she never responded.

I was getting quite anxious so I decided to call her office today. No answer, just her answering machine telling callers to email her if they are curious about their application status.

What time is Joyce usually around in her office?

Will I be seeing any of you at the ASDOH afternoon interview session on February 6th???

I've sent her several emails within the past week. She's only responded to one of my emails. I also asked her via email about my status, and she never responded.

I was getting quite anxious so I decided to call her office today. No answer, just her answering machine telling callers to email her if they are curious about their application status.

You have to understand how busy she is at this time of the year and also how many people just like you are emailing her every hour about their status. I could imagine that she would be upset with people being so pushy. I promise that she will email back as soon as possible. I used to do work study in her office and saw how busy she actually gets, but also that she always found the time to meet with prospective students and respond to their emails.

Hey all, just wanted to update the ASDOH thread to let you know how the specialty match turned out. Our rates were 2/2 for ortho (one was match and one was non-match to ASDOH) and 3/3 for pedo (all were match positions). Nobody applied to OMS, and one was considering endo but I don't believe she applied.

Yeah, I've got to agree with you that Joyce doesn't respond to her emails that well, despite the fact that she told us after the interview that the best way to contact her is through email.

You just have to keep calling her if you want to speak to her over the phone. I once called her office, nobody picked up the phone except her voicemail. I didn't leave a message. I called back 5 minutes later, she picked up the phone. So just keep chugging and try to call Joyce. Good luck.

Just received an email saying I received an interview at ASDOH for this Monday the 5th of Feb. I am in the morning session. Anyone else going to be there that day???

I'm suprised they are still sending interview invitations out with only 7 spots open (53 offers out, 38 have paid deposits already - based on a phone call from yesterday!). Especially if the invitations are to people from across the country where it may cost substantial $$ to come there. :luck:

Anyone know if the adcom is made of up the same people that conducted the interviews in Mesa? The reason I ask is because an updated letter of rec. was recently sent to asdoh on my behalf. I spoke with joyce to confirm that it made it there and that it could be added to my file. She received it and said she will be sending it to Kirksville. Will the adcom even see it (if they are located in mesa?) And if they're not located in mesa, then this would make me think that they are not the same people who conduct the interviews (dr. polk and dr. zais), which would then lead me to believe that the interview is not the deciding factor when ranking the "top group" (if the members of the adcom that send out offers are not the same members that conducted the interviews?)...Too much thinking....

There plan was to go up to 80 for this cycle, thus the 80 on their website. However, a delay in the construction of the clinic does not allow for a class of this size until next cycle. So, they have decided to go with 60. I'm sure they just failed to update their website. 60 seats is definitely the number.

I interviewed at the end of December, and they had decided on 64 in this year's class. Hope that helps. :)

Anyone know if the adcom is made of up the same people that conducted the interviews in Mesa? The reason I ask is because an updated letter of rec. was recently sent to asdoh on my behalf. I spoke with joyce to confirm that it made it there and that it could be added to my file. She received it and said she will be sending it to Kirksville. Will the adcom even see it (if they are located in mesa?) And if they're not located in mesa, then this would make me think that they are not the same people who conduct the interviews (dr. polk and dr. zais), which would then lead me to believe that the interview is not the deciding factor when ranking the "top group" (if the members of the adcom that send out offers are not the same members that conducted the interviews?)...Too much thinking....

Maybe they just keep the actual files in kirksville, but she added a copy to your file there so that Dr. Zais et al could see it? Im pretty sure he's on the adcom.

Everything in your file is sent to Kirksville first before it's forwarded to Arizona. The adcom is located in Arizona, so they'll see it when it gets there. The interview is a HUGE deciding factor when ranking the top group. The adcom members who send out the acceptances are the same ones who conduct the interviews. In fact, they don't send them out, they call you personally (either Dr. Polk or Dr. Zais).

I am stressed because ASDOH is my first choice. :scared: I really want to know my standing but someone told me that if you request information about your status and you are not in the top tier they take you out of the applicant pool. Does anyone know if this is true?

I am stressed because ASDOH is my first choice. :scared: I really want to know my standing but someone told me that if you request information about your status and you are not in the top tier they take you out of the applicant pool. Does anyone know if this is true?

I do know that not everyone in the top group will get accepted so I think that is safe to say. Sorry.

The adcom members who send out the acceptances are the same ones who conduct the interviews. In fact, they don't send them out, they call you personally (either Dr. Polk or Dr. Zais).

That's great! They were/are so nice!

I interviewed at ASDOH on Jan 16 (Tuesday) and received my acceptance packet in the mail on Jan 20 (Saturday). I didn't get a phone call from Dr. Zais or Dr. Polk.

I am a D1 and also work with Joyce Haynie in the student services office. For all of you wondering about Joyce answering her emails......give her some time. She receives hundreds of emails a day, tons of messages on her phone, not to mention all of her office work she does daily. For those of you who never knew, or who have forgotten........Joyce works for ATSU.....not just for ASDOH. That means she is involved with 6 other graduate level programs all needing her help. She is also running the show with all the med student applications/interviews and I'm sure they are all as anxious as you to hear about status. Here's some advice......don't pester. At this point two more phone calls from you, or 10 more emails isn't going to somehow move you up from your spot in the "yes" group. Send Joyce your email asking what ever you want to ask......then wait for your response. She will get back to you.

For those of you coming for interviews, I'll be your tour guide to the clinic, so I'll be seeing you guys soon. Congrats on the interviews!

For those of you coming for interviews, I'll be your tour guide to the clinic, so I'll be seeing you guys soon. Congrats on the interviews!

Hey Lostinbul, I think you may have taken my group for the clinic tour as well? It was back on Dec. 11th. If it was you, I'm still telling people about the super cool hand-washer! :laugh: Well, hope I get to use it on a daily basis...
Cheers

I'm looking forward to the tour of the school. I am interviewing on Feb. 5 in the morning group so i'll see ya then!

What's the latest? A new round of acceptances should be coming soon. Good luck to all hopefuls. Perhaps DakotaDentist will shed some info that was gathered at the interview this morning. I hope things went well.

I'm looking forward to the tour of the school. I am interviewing on Feb. 5 in the morning group so i'll see ya then!

Hey Dakota,
Good seeing you this morning. Now let me just make sure....were you the one that came back looking for Dr. Polk?

Any updates from interviews of 2/5 or 2/6? :luck:

Hey Dakota,
Good seeing you this morning. Now let me just make sure....were you the one that came back looking for Dr. Polk?

yep that was me. thanks for the tour and i loved the automatic hand washers! haha.

the news i have for everyone is that there are definitely spots open still. they told me they wouldn't bring applicants there to interview for the waiting list. as far as actually numbers i think they said 54 have accepted, so that leaves 6 open, since the class is 60 this year. that's what i was told at least. hope that helps guys!

Is today the day they are meeting?