Asdoh

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hate to sound like I'm whining, but I think asdoh's admissions policy is flawed and the people running the admissions office is disorganized.

First of all, I heard this guy in my interview group got accepted to asdoh two weeks ago because his father is a dentist and I'm guessing, that the father donated $$$$$$$ to the school. It's probably true as his father is a big-name dentist in the Phoenix area. THat's so unfair, especially for us ordinary applicants who are just trying to enter dental school based on our own merits.
I don't know if he, the accepted applicant, was trying to be bashful, but his GPA was quite low, and some of his DAT scores were below the national average.

To me, the ad coms (zais, evans, polk) either like you or dislike you based on their own opinions. And that, to some extent, could mean family background (i.e. your father or mother is a dentist) and/or financial background. Yeah, I enjoyed my interview with dr z and dr evans, but I think a larger committee should decide on who gets ranked in the "lists."

And yes, every good applicant who qualified for an interview with asdoh can stick small metal pegs into a board within 30 seconds with either hand, or answer a freaking question on what's the maxillary and maxilla bone of the jaw or how many branches there are in the US gov. But what does that have to do with dentistry?

Now somebody here says that there are only two spots available?

This is ridiculous! I felt like I wasted my time and money flying to phoenix and wasting my time there when I missed one of my biochem lectures!! :mad:

I also would lik to say that joyce haynie LIED to my group that she would be available to answer our questions about our status if we email her. Low and behold, she NEVER responded to any of my emails. I also contacted another student in my group and he also told me the same thing - joyce never responded to his email questions.

Just because asdoh is a new dental school doesn't mean they should have a huge chip on their shoulder and never respond to our questions.

LOL, hilarious!!! Man I really hope that you don't get an acceptance to my school. I'm actually surprised that you got an interview after reading what you wrote. Do you even know how many people have applied to ASDOH and just because someone has high scores doesn't mean that they are the most qualified. From my understanding ASDOH looks for students that are well rounded. Students who get in with low scores I am certain that they are pretty dynamic people. The ones I know have done more for the profession through there works as undergrads then some graduating dental students. ASDOH looks for informed people, people who are active participants in their community and being informed usually means that you are also more involved. Perhaps you should make more of an effort and get to know people and network. Putting people down, especially those that can prevent you from getting accepted, isn't the best way to network. Networking is key in any profession and if your only merits are your academics then I wonder how well you will do in the dental profession.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if he, the accepted applicant, was trying to be bashful, but his GPA was quite low, and some of his DAT scores were below the national average.

Did you ever think that he may have simply interviewed better than you?

So I was rejected back in October by asdoh and then on 3/1/07 it had me missing my application fee and the secondary app under the supplemental materials on aadsas. you think they would have updated months ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I was rejected back in October by asdoh and then on 3/1/07 it had me missing my application fee and the secondary app under the supplemental materials on aadsas. you think they would have updated months ago.

Yeah, since you were rejected 6 months ago, they should for sure spend time updating your application on AADSAS. :rolleyes:

Hey Gavin or Lostinbul...or anyone else with the inside scoop...
Do you know the status of today's interviews? Were they the last ones? And if so, have the docs made the last few offers?
Cheers :luck:

Did you ever think that he may have simply interviewed better than you?

Blah blah blah. I am just disappointed that the admissions office is so disorganized that they can't even respond to applicants' emails. Now that shows me something about asdoh.

As for you, you're just jumping on the band wagon to harp at me because you are still waiting for asdoh to contact you.

LOL. At least I got accepted to other dental schools.

LOL, hilarious!!! Man I really hope that you don't get an acceptance to my school.

I could care less as I've faxed them a copy of a letter stating that I will withdraw them their application process! LOL!! :)

I'm actually surprised that you got an interview after reading what you wrote. Do you even know how many people have applied to ASDOH and just because someone has high scores doesn't mean that they are the most qualified.

Hmmm, according to joyce, there were "a lot" of applicants this year. But whipee dooo. Okay, high scores doesn't mean anything. But that applicant had LOW DAT scores and his GPA was mediocre. He also told me after the interview that he didn't do too well. However, he did "brag" to me and the other applicants in my group that his dad has 'connections' to asdoh. Hmm...some palm greasing going on there.

From my understanding ASDOH looks for students that are well rounded. Students who get in with low scores I am certain that they are pretty dynamic people. The ones I know have done more for the profession through there works as undergrads then some graduating dental students. ASDOH looks for informed people, people who are active participants in their community and being informed usually means that you are also more involved.

Oookay? So I have been active in volunteer work and aiding in dental community efforts.

Perhaps you should make more of an effort and get to know people and network. Putting people down, especially those that can prevent you from getting accepted, isn't the best way to network.

Listen buddy. I actually shouldn't have mentioned that one person who got accepted to asdoh based on his connections. However, I can't understand why it would take a millenium for joyce to answer our phone calls, or respond to our emails? Is it that hard? If she's so busy and inundated with work to call us back or respond to our emails, can't she let her secretary take care of some of her business? No?

Networking is key in any profession and if your only merits are your academics then I wonder how well you will do in the dental profession.

Yeah, okay. I have networked with a lot of dentists in my area, as well as with other dentists at dental schools I've visited. But DAT scores and GPA are important indicators as to how well you will succeed in dental school. I'm expecting a rebuttle from you stating how DAT scores are not good indicators of dental school sucess, yada yada yada.

Hey Gavin or Lostinbul...or anyone else with the inside scoop...
Do you know the status of today's interviews? Were they the last ones? And if so, have the docs made the last few offers?
Cheers :luck:

Interviews are now over! This week the admissions committee should be filling the rest of the remaining spots. The acceptances that go out in the next week or so will have 15 days to place a deposit, and then may 1st (I think) is the day the pre matriculation fee is due. At that point the admissions committee will send out the wait list. That being said, let me offer some hope to those of you still waiting to hear. Yesterday someone withdrew their acceptance giving up their $1,000 deposit (I wish I got some of that), and even after people place their $1,000 prematriculation deposit there are often times people who will still withdraw. This is due to the fact that they were planning on coming here, but last minute heard back from their #1 school. Like many of you know last year there was an acceptance sent out 1 week after school had already started due to a student that got accepted to his #1 after class began here. You never know when it might come, so hang in there.

P.S. I wouldn't worry too much about responding to posts like the one before mine.......obviously the individual has strong opinions and wants to share them with the world. Whether or not you think they are valid, you won't convince them otherwise. And as they say "don't wrestle with pigs, because you'll both get dirty but the pig will enjoy it". Peace

Thank you for the update Lostinbul! All I can say is I hope a few more students get accepted into their #1 school so more spots open up at ASDOH. Good luck to everyone who is waiting for ASDOH, I feel your pain.

Thanks for the update!

I am from Mesa and I really don't know anybody that has connections to ASDOH. To me I feel that it is really to new of a school for local dentists to be contributing donations to and the only connections that I see happening are applicants knowing members of the faculty. Anyways, a whole grip of good applicants were rejected from this school and it is obvious that only ASDOH knows what they are really looking for. I just want to say that I hope jim85213 gets in because he deserves it. GO JIMMY!!!

I am from Mesa and I really don't know anybody that has connections to ASDOH. To me I feel that it is really to new of a school for local dentists to be contributing donations to and the only connections that I see happening are applicants knowing members of the faculty. Anyways, a whole grip of good applicants were rejected from this school and it is obvious that only ASDOH knows what they are really looking for. I just want to say that I hope jim85213 gets in because he deserves it. GO JIMMY!!!

Thanks buddy! There's a lot of other people on here that deserve it just as much, if not more, than me though.

Interviews are now over! This week the admissions committee should be filling the rest of the remaining spots. The acceptances that go out in the next week or so will have 15 days to place a deposit, and then may 1st (I think) is the day the pre matriculation fee is due. At that point the admissions committee will send out the wait list. That being said, let me offer some hope to those of you still waiting to hear. Yesterday someone withdrew their acceptance giving up their $1,000 deposit (I wish I got some of that), and even after people place their $1,000 prematriculation deposit there are often times people who will still withdraw. This is due to the fact that they were planning on coming here, but last minute heard back from their #1 school. Like many of you know last year there was an acceptance sent out 1 week after school had already started due to a student that got accepted to his #1 after class began here. You never know when it might come, so hang in there.

P.S. I wouldn't worry too much about responding to posts like the one before mine.......obviously the individual has strong opinions and wants to share them with the world. Whether or not you think they are valid, you won't convince them otherwise. And as they say "don't wrestle with pigs, because you'll both get dirty but the pig will enjoy it". Peace

Thanks for the info man...that should hold me over for a few hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya thanks for the update Lostinbul...hopefully everyone this year gets into their #1's lol...that means Jim and myself will be sunbathing in Mesa shortly :)

Oooo...what! And you're not living in a tent outside the admissions office...:eek:

Really though...you're not that lucky...you know, it's probably like 60ish there today...but I bet you're not experiencing this awesome thing called WIND CHILL! You don't know what your missing...it was a steamy -15 degrees today with Mr. Wind Chill....Sweet! I'm not jealous at all...

Oooo...what! And you're not living in a tent outside the admissions office...:eek:

Really though...you're not that lucky...you know, it's probably like 60ish there today...but I bet you're not experiencing this awesome thing called WIND CHILL! You don't know what your missing...it was a steamy -15 degrees today with Mr. Wind Chill....Sweet! I'm not jealous at all...

It was actually in the high 70's, if I'm not mistaken. But you're right...I'm not that lucky.

Call me AZ....Call me....:eek:

Hi everyone,
I just found out that I got accepted for the DMD program at ASDOH. I am looking for a roomate for 2007-2008 academic year. If interested please email me at [email protected] Thanks.....Shoshanah

Hi everyone,
I just found out that I got accepted for the DMD program at ASDOH. I am looking for a roomate for 2007-2008 academic year. If interested please email me at [email protected] Thanks.....Shoshanah

How and when did you find out? I know those are the questions that everybody wants to know.

Now that the interviews are over, has anyone called to find out exactly where they stand?

But DAT scores and GPA are important indicators as to how well you will succeed in dental school. I'm expecting a rebuttle from you stating how DAT scores are not good indicators of dental school sucess, yada yada yada.

True, DAT scores and GPA correlate to how well you'll do in dental school, but they say nothing as to how well you'll do with patients or how well you'll perform procedures.

I am from Mesa and I really don't know anybody that has connections to ASDOH. To me I feel that it is really to new of a school for local dentists to be contributing donations to...

We have a LONG adjunct faculty list, and MANY Phx. metro area dentists have donated monies to the school. Many have donated considerable amounts.

Got an email from Joyce today. "They are going to determine who the last seats go to next week and start to choose the alternate list. We'll let you know as soon as we can."

I'm clueless at this point...just saying my nightly prayers! :eek:

Face it. You didn’t get in now move on with your life. Rumor has it there may still be spots available for the Tijuana school of Podiatry. JK

But seriously, acting this way on these boards is no step in the right direction for your admission into ASDOH. You may have the right to be upset if you haven’t heard back from ad com. Last time i heard though not hearing back form them meant you weren’t rejected yet either. So calm down and wait your turn.

Yeah, I hear you. At least we're in the same boat. I guess I have to call the office at a different time. But at least I would expect joyce to call us back within two weeks.

Honestly, I'm giving up on Asdoh because their class for fall 07 is almost full. Like I said to nobletooth, there are other great dental schools out there. New facilities at a dental school doesn't mean you'll be a great dentist when you get out of dental school. It all depends on how much work and effort you put into your studies and clinical experience that makes you a great dentist.

GO AWAY! No one here likes you. Your wasting everyones time. You are disgruntled and have lost hope (or maybe not, just my opinion maybe your just pissed off). There are people here that are still hopeful for an admission into ASDOH or any other school. If you have been excepted else where go hang with your incoming class on there thread and talk about something productive.
Blah blah blah. I am just disappointed that the admissions office is so disorganized that they can't even respond to applicants' emails. Now that shows me something about asdoh.

As for you, you're just jumping on the band wagon to harp at me because you are still waiting for asdoh to contact you.

LOL. At least I got accepted to other dental schools.

listen smarty. I wasn't angry at asdoh. It's noble who was disgruntled. But heck, if the admissions office doesn't want to take the effort to return our email messages or phone calls, then the hell with them.

I am guessing you're probably a student at asdoh or a prospective student to asdoh. Don't have to jump on the bandwagon and get your panties in a bunch over my opinion.

Face it. You didn’t get in now move on with your life. Rumor has it there may still be spots available for the Tijuana school of Podiatry. JK

But seriously, acting this way on these boards is no step in the right direction for your admission into ASDOH. You may have the right to be upset if you haven’t heard back from ad com. Last time i heard though not hearing back form them meant you weren’t rejected yet either. So calm down and wait your turn.

I'm going to suggest that we re-focus this thread. Obviously, at this point in the application cycle, tensions may be high for some. So rather than say something off the cuff, let's instead try to only post if you have something knowledgable or beneficial to add.

Next topic: What will be the relationship between ASDOH and the (new) dental school opening this year at Midwestern in Glendale?

Oohhh, I think it'll be interesting. The new dean there used to be an associate dean from ASDOH (along with another great professor). He is awesome. I was interviewed by him but never got a chance to learn from him. Great guy.

Oohhh, I think it'll be interesting. The new dean there used to be an associate dean from ASDOH (along with another great professor). He is awesome. I was interviewed by him but never got a chance to learn from him. Great guy.

Good to hear...the state of Arizona is really in the middle of a huge change regarding future health care!

On that note, has anyone heard from ASDOH since last week? I'm figuring that the remaining seats must have been filled by now, so we may start hearing about waitlist position soon?

I received an email from Joyce Haynie, saying that the class of 2007 is full. I guess there is still the possibility of 1 or 2 spots coming open if people get accepted to their #1 and forfeit their deposit. But, my guess would be that for most people, ASDOH is their #1. Better luck next year.

Did you email her first, or was her email out of the blue? I'm just curious because I would think that we will be receiving waitlist notification shortly and I'm not sure if it comes via email or us mail?

Well if that email was accurate, that stinks! I wonder when they filled the last couple of seats, because they were apparently on spring break last week?:eek:

I received an email from Joyce Haynie, saying that the class of 2007 is full. I guess there is still the possibility of 1 or 2 spots coming open if people get accepted to their #1 and forfeit their deposit. But, my guess would be that for most people, ASDOH is their #1. Better luck next year.

:(

Did you email her first, or was her email out of the blue? I'm just curious because I would think that we will be receiving waitlist notification shortly and I'm not sure if it comes via email or us mail?

Well if that email was accurate, that stinks! I wonder when they filled the last couple of seats, because they were apparently on spring break last week?:eek:

I had emailed her to check on my status about 10 days ago. I received her reply last friday. She did say that they were going to begin putting together their alternate list this week. I don't know when or how they will notify alternates.

Lostinbul, can you verify this??

Hmm, no email or letter regarding waitlist status yet, so maybe all the seats are NOT confirmed yet...wishful thinking...

I'll post if/when I found out anything else. :luck:

P.S. Anyone that didn't receive an offer from dental schools, have you applied (or received acceptance to) a post-bacc program yet?

I just withdrew yesterday, so thats a spot for someone =)

Hmm, no email or letter regarding waitlist status yet, so maybe all the seats are NOT confirmed yet...wishful thinking...

I'll post if/when I found out anything else. :luck:

P.S. Anyone that didn't receive an offer from dental schools, have you applied (or received acceptance to) a post-bacc program yet?

I got an email from Joyce. She confirmed that the class is full and they will let the rest of us know by mid April if we are selected for the alternate list.

It states on their website that they plan on initial accreditation in Jan '08 with the first class being Fall '08. I wonder when aadsas will update their school list to include Midwestern.

But Gavin, I meant, once it opens...how much collaboration is planned with asdoh. I think Lostinbul replied earlier, and mentioned some faculty linkages, etc...

Hmm...anyone receive waitlist info or rank yet? I'd imagine that the "withdrawn" seat from GRAD last week has already been filled...but I still have no idea about waitlist status, etc.?

Hmm...anyone receive waitlist info or rank yet? I'd imagine that the "withdrawn" seat from GRAD last week has already been filled...but I still have no idea about waitlist status, etc.?

I went to ASDOH's open house on Saturday. I found out that the class is full (which we already know), the official alternate list has not been put together yet but it will be soon, and there is no rank on the alternate list. We are gonna have to be REALLY patient from here on out. I did talk to someone that told me in years passed, they have taken everyone from the alternate list. I don't see that happening, considering the insanity of this cycle but there is always hope for the alternate listers.

Yikes, I thought it was ranked...

I did talk to someone that told me in years passed, they have taken everyone from the alternate list. I don't see that happening, considering the insanity of this cycle but there is always hope for the alternate listers.

This is probably true...Joyce said that because of the crazy # of apps this year, they weren't even sure if anyone from the alternate list would get an offer.:(