Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks yupper!.... but i wonder y AF doesnt hve n.e signing bonus!. that sucks!. also that would be good to know that you wont be potentially holding your wife back from practicting after d-school b/c of you.. thts good to know!

When the Navy and Army started the bonus, they needed to attract people to join. So, they got the funding so they could authorize the signing bonuses. The AF didn't need the bonus because they were already meeting goal. If the current trend of all slots filling stays in place for the next couple years, I would anticipate the Army and Navy droppig the bonus.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,Now, I am interesting in getting into either AF or Navy...for a GPR or AEGD program. What are the requirements and whom/where I can find out more information base on my case. Thank you.
G.Han

I sent you a response to your PM, but I'll post here for everyone's benefit.

Since you have been out of school for over 1 year, you are not eligible for a 1 year AEGD with the AF or Navy. You could apply to the 2 year. Best way to start is to contact the recuiters to get the best timing to apply, etc...

Right now, you couldn't start until next year in the AF. Our program starts in June.

Hello,Now, I am interesting in getting into either AF or Navy...for a GPR or AEGD program. What are the requirements and whom/where I can find out more information base on my case. Thank you.
G.Han

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think this has been answered:

Can you be deployed while in a residency program?

I don't think this has been answered:

Can you be deployed while in a residency program?
Not technically. We plan to take our residents on a humanitarian mission and some other programs do that as well. They usually run for 2 weeks and aren't in a war zone.

KOM,
Germany, Japan, Alaska, England, and Italy are all 3-year tours. When you go OCONUS, you get a DEROS (Date Expected to Return from OverSeas). For the above areas with dependents the default is 3 years. Some are 3-years without dependents. Korea and Turkey are the short tour OCONUS locaitons.

If you are specifically talking about AEGD programs. Elmendorf is the only OCONUS AEGD in the AF.

This post was from a long time ago but as I was reading through the thread I had a question about it. I am trying to get the HPSP and my wife and I are very interested in going overseas. What are you refering to when you say "some are 3-years without dependents"? Is there a chance that I could get stationed somewhere for three years without the family?

This post was from a long time ago but as I was reading through the thread I had a question about it. I am trying to get the HPSP and my wife and I are very interested in going overseas. What are you refering to when you say "some are 3-years without dependents"? Is there a chance that I could get stationed somewhere for three years without the family?

Not likely. It's hard to get overseas as your first assignment. It's not impossible, but not always doable. Some OCONUS assignments are 3-years with or without dependents. Alaska for example is a place you can go for 3 years with your family, but if a single person goes there, it's still a 3-year assignment. Other places are 2 years for someone without dependents. The chances of you going somewhere without your family without volunteering to do so are slim to none.

Not likely. It's hard to get overseas as your first assignment. It's not impossible, but not always doable. Some OCONUS assignments are 3-years with or without dependents. Alaska for example is a place you can go for 3 years with your family, but if a single person goes there, it's still a 3-year assignment. Other places are 2 years for someone without dependents. The chances of you going somewhere without your family without volunteering to do so are slim to none.

Thanks for the info, I am super excited about the Air Force and that was my only concern.

AFDDS,

Thank you for all your responses in this thread. I'm currently filling out the application for Residency Selection and I'd like your recommendation on which bases you would go to RIGHT NOW if you were fresh out of dental school for AEGD-1 or General Duty Base.

I basically have no inkling as to where I'd like to go except the usual 1) nice weather 2) nice people 3) nice city (if there's a city). I'm still single with no dependents to tie me down. I'm looking at the map of all the bases in US, and I'm a bit overwhelmed. After reading the thread, I realize I'm not competitive in terms of academic records ~ so if I write down those really competitive places (Patterson, Travis, etc), I'd probably get thrown to Alaska (... not that Alaska is not nice, but ~).

So, if you know some bases that you know personally, or have heard about with some nice people + weather + not hard to get into + etc... it'd be really helpful!

By the way, I hear ocean level is going to rise really fast soon... -- so I think inland is a plus too :laugh:

All of our AEGD programs follow the same basic format, so I don't want to recommend one over the other. It really boils down to where you want to go. It seems you want to look at location, but aren't that picky. Look over the AEGD bases first and rank order them exactly like you want them. You never know what you'll get. If you have Alaska last, most likely you won't get it. We have had good luck with having 3 people the last 2 years that really want Alaska.

AFDDS,

Thank you for all your responses in this thread. I'm currently filling out the application for Residency Selection and I'd like your recommendation on which bases you would go to RIGHT NOW if you were fresh out of dental school for AEGD-1 or General Duty Base.

I basically have no inkling as to where I'd like to go except the usual 1) nice weather 2) nice people 3) nice city (if there's a city). I'm still single with no dependents to tie me down. I'm looking at the map of all the bases in US, and I'm a bit overwhelmed. After reading the thread, I realize I'm not competitive in terms of academic records ~ so if I write down those really competitive places (Patterson, Travis, etc), I'd probably get thrown to Alaska (... not that Alaska is not nice, but ~).

So, if you know some bases that you know personally, or have heard about with some nice people + weather + not hard to get into + etc... it'd be really helpful!

By the way, I hear ocean level is going to rise really fast soon... -- so I think inland is a plus too :laugh:

dreaming2k5,

When did you receive your residency application packet?

I got the packet back in May 15th -- but yes, I guess I want some recommendation just depending on location. I don't know the states all that well since I haven't traveled much.

It's hard to give you recommendations as this is a very subjective topic. I've know people that would go anywhere in Texas and others that didn't want Texas at all. It all boils down to your desires, as they may not match someone else's. It seems you don't want Alaska, but bias for my program aside, as far as location goes, I'd rather be in Alaska that just about anywhere. But I like the things I can do in Alaska. I enjoyed Colorado, and Texas as well. DC was fun while I was there, but I wouldn't want to be there any longer than I was.

I got the packet back in May 15th -- but yes, I guess I want some recommendation just depending on location. I don't know the states all that well since I haven't traveled much.

Members don't see this ad :)
At times, I feel this is a very important stage in my life. If I go to a site that fits me perfectly, I may stay in the Air Force for the rest of my life. If I go to a site that I hate, then I'd probably try to cut myself loose as soon as possible -- but at this point, I seriously don't know what I want. I grew up in Orlando Fl, in the suburbs, then went to a small college town for univerrsity, then came to boston for dental school. I liked all 3 places -- weather is a factor, but I adapted no problem.

I guess at the end of the day, I should just let fate decide and pick em out of a hat :laugh:

Remember something I've said before. Location is less of an issue than who you are there with. I know from personal experience, that a great location can be ruined if you work with someone that is making life miserable at work. A so called "less than desirable" location can be a real blast if you have a good group of people to work with. Keep an open mind about location and keep an upbeat attitude. Most of our AF members are great people and will be tons of fun to work with.

At times, I feel this is a very important stage in my life. If I go to a site that fits me perfectly, I may stay in the Air Force for the rest of my life. If I go to a site that I hate, then I'd probably try to cut myself loose as soon as possible -- but at this point, I seriously don't know what I want. I grew up in Orlando Fl, in the suburbs, then went to a small college town for univerrsity, then came to boston for dental school. I liked all 3 places -- weather is a factor, but I adapted no problem.

I guess at the end of the day, I should just let fate decide and pick em out of a hat :laugh:

Thanks for all the questions you have been answering, here are some more for ya :D I'm on a 3 year HPSP and my school has summer semesters so I've heard I am unable to do COT during the summers before I graduate.

If the AEGD starts in June and I graduate at about May 10th or so, how would I be able to do COT before the AEGD? What do they do with this situation?

The breaks we have in summer is from about July 4th to August 24th, is there time to do COT between those dates?

I sent you a response to your PM, but I'll post here for everyone's benefit.

Since you have been out of school for over 1 year, you are not eligible for a 1 year AEGD with the AF or Navy. You could apply to the 2 year. Best way to start is to contact the recuiters to get the best timing to apply, etc...

Right now, you couldn't start until next year in the AF. Our program starts in June.

Traditional specialty programs and the Comprehensive General Dentistry Program (aka AEGD-2) start in June. Our AEGD 1 program start dates will vary based on the expectd graduation date of the bulk of HPSP students. At Elmendorf, we don't start until 14 Aug.

Thanks for all the questions you have been answering, here are some more for ya :D I'm on a 3 year HPSP and my school has summer semesters so I've heard I am unable to do COT during the summers before I graduate.

If the AEGD starts in June and I graduate at about May 10th or so, how would I be able to do COT before the AEGD? What do they do with this situation?

The breaks we have in summer is from about July 4th to August 24th, is there time to do COT between those dates?

Last edited:
Man, what a thread.
I've been practicing for 2+ years and considering joining the AF. I asked my recruiter the following questions:

Retirement: Amount after how many years, do medical benefits come with it?
Compensation: Itemized breakdown of salary (paygrade?), housing allowance, food allowance, etc.
Reserve status: For how many years is one able to be called up after discharge?
Location: How certain is it that I can be positioned and stay (Homestead) at Hill AFB?
Frequency and duration of the humanitarian missions.
Tuition reimbursement: 40k per year for 3 years?
Likelyhood of deployment away from Hill AFB to an area where family would not be able to come.
Air travel benefits for immediate family.
Officer uniforms: What do I wear each day?
Breakdown of days off: Holidays, sick days, vacation, etc.
Moving: We pack it, they move it?

I'm curious to see answers here vs what I'm told by the recruiter. Thanks for all of the info. what a great resource!

Why don't you tell us what your recruiter told you?

Man, what a thread.
I've been practicing for 2+ years and considering joining the AF. I asked my recruiter the following questions:

Compensation: Itemized breakdown of salary (paygrade?), housing allowance, food allowance, etc.
Location: How certain is it that I can be positioned and stay (Homestead) at Hill AFB?
Likelyhood of deployment away from Hill AFB to an area where family would not be able to come.

I'm curious to see answers here vs what I'm told by the recruiter. Thanks for all of the info. what a great resource!

AFDDS
I am a 4th yr HPSP Dental Student and I have just submitted my application for an AF AEGD. My first choice is Elmendorf. What are the chances of me actually getting to go to Alaska?

Usually pretty good. The last 2 years we've only had 3 or 4 put Elmendorf as their #1 choice. It's never a guarantee though.

Also, important to know that the rules have changed and you are eligible to move after your AEGD year in Alaska now. Doesn't mean everyone will, but you are now eligible to move within PACAF.

AFDDS
I am a 4th yr HPSP Dental Student and I have just submitted my application for an AF AEGD. My first choice is Elmendorf. What are the chances of me actually getting to go to Alaska?

Props to you for asking the hard questions and double verifying them. My goal with questions like yours was to #1 ask your recruiter #2 take them to this forum and #3 take them to active duty dentist in respective branch. I figure accuracy/honesty increases from #1 to #3. Best of luck, I'ld love to hear the answers to those questions

Man, what a thread.

Retirement: Amount after how many years, do medical benefits come with it? 50% of base salary after 20 years. +2.5% for each year beyond 20. Can currently stay for 30 (75%) without a waiver and to 40 with a waiver (none have been granted)
Compensation: Itemized breakdown of salary (paygrade?), housing allowance, food allowance, etc. $3540.30 base salary + BAH (calculated by zip of the base) + BAS ($223.04/month) + VSP ($250/month) + ASP ($10K annually) + COLA if you are at certain OCONUS locations = $58K + BAH
Reserve status: For how many years is one able to be called up after discharge?Everyone signs up for 8 years. If you agree to 4 years active duty, you will spend 4 years on Inactive Ready Reserve. AF hasn't called anyone up from IRR.
Location: How certain is it that I can be positioned and stay (Homestead) at Hill AFB?If you only stay in 4 years and get Hill as your first assignment, 100%. However, that could be big if's. If you stay longer than 4, it won't happen. Hill is a popular place and your career progression and needs of the Air Force will compel you to move.
Frequency and duration of the humanitarian missions. Duration: Anywhere from 2 weeks to 4 months. Most are about 2 weeks long. It depends on where you are on the frequency.
Tuition reimbursement: 40k per year for 3 years??? not sure here. If you are talking HPLRP (Loan repayment) it's $40k/ year for 2 years. You have to be on active duty for 6 months to be eligible to apply for this and it will add 2 years to your commitment. You can take another 2 years worth, but it will only pay up to 72% of your loans total.
Likelyhood of deployment away from Hill AFB to an area where family would not be able to come.Always possible. Again, if you stay for 4 years it may not happen. Just remember what I've said earlier in this thread, you're issued a camoflauge uniform for a reason. If you want 100% chance you won't deploy, don't join.
Air travel benefits for immediate family. Depends on where you are. You can take hops from some bases, but they are space available only.
Officer uniforms: What do I wear each day?blue uniform or ABUs
Breakdown of days off: Holidays, sick days, vacation, etc. Usually off Sat and Sun, all Federal Holidays. 30 days of vacation with pay. May have to be on call some, so you may be on call over the weekend or a holiday. Sick days are worked out locally.
Moving: We pack it, they move it? or you pack it, you move it; or they pack it, they move it; or you pack part of it, they pack part of it, you move part of it, they move part of it. Several ways to skin this cat.

Hopefully, you don't hear something way off from this.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if it makes a difference if you are already a dental student. For my situation, I am hoping to obtain a 3 year scholarship through the AF. I would hope that a good dental school GPA would be weighed more heavily than the pre-dental GPA of a student about to start school. Also, does anyone know the average GPA (undergrad or d-school), DAT, etc.... of students that have obtained the AF scholarship. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

That is the current plan. some years residents will stay at Elmendorf to fill vacancies in the staff there. I wouldn't get your heart set on AK to HI.
AFDDS
So if in fact we are able to leave Alaska after the 1yr AEGD the only bases that we could be sent to are the following?
Andersen AFB
Eielson AFB
Elmendorf AFB
Hickam AFB
Kadena AB
Kunsan AB
Misawa AB
Osan AB
Yokota AB

The perfect assignment would be one year in Alaska and then 3yrs in Hawaii, but that would probably be very unlikely.

I am a current HPSP applicant, and I really would like to do a one year AEGD. How hard is it to get into a one year AEGD exactly? I took a tour of Scott Air Air Force base and they said it isn't difficult to get into an AEGD. I just had my phone interview for the HPSP earlier today, and the interviewer told me it was "very competitive." When I asked him how competitive exactly, he couldn't give me an exact number. Thank you for your help!

Unfortunately, I can't give you exact numbers either. I can tell you that we will have approx 115 graduates and we have 80 AEGD spots.

A number will opt not to do an AEGD, another group will apply and be accepted to traditional specialty programs, so it will vary based on these numbers.
I am a current HPSP applicant, and I really would like to do a one year AEGD. How hard is it to get into a one year AEGD exactly? I took a tour of Scott Air Air Force base and they said it isn't difficult to get into an AEGD. I just had my phone interview for the HPSP earlier today, and the interviewer told me it was "very competitive." When I asked him how competitive exactly, he couldn't give me an exact number. Thank you for your help!

Will you get one packet that you use to apply for AEGD or traditional residency or is it separate packets? Do you submit all of the accompanying documents (letters of rec, transcripts, board scores, etc) and then check the box of the residency you are applying for? What is the general process for applying and the application packet? Thanks

2 packages.

You will be sent both of them in your last year of dental school. You apply to the AEGD program and, if you want a specialty, to the specialty program separately.

Will you get one packet that you use to apply for AEGD or traditional residency or is it separate packets? Do you submit all of the accompanying documents (letters of rec, transcripts, board scores, etc) and then check the box of the residency you are applying for? What is the general process for applying and the application packet? Thanks

Hey AFDDS! What are the benefits of doing an AEGD or specialty within the Air Force compared to outside?

1. AEGD and Specialty Residents in the AF are the highest paid in the country according to the ADA.

2. Student to staff ratio is usually much better in the military. Our AEGD programs have 1 of almost every specialty (some don't have Pedo) and some have more than one in a given specialty. That person's job consists of #1 - teaching residents, and #2 seeing patients. Civilian AEGD programs don't usually have that type of access to specialists.

3. I don't have the exact numbers anymore, but at one time, the acceptance rate was higher in the military. For example. AF may have 6 people applying for 2 endo slots. Outside programs may have 35-40 people applying for their 2 slots. The % of people in the military is usually better because its a smaller number applying.

4. This is most imporatant to me. The military (Army, Navy, and Air Force) has some of the best programs in the country. I may be a little biased here, but I think its valid. You will have a staff dedicated to your learning. Personally, I care about the educational experience everyone of my residents gets. I want them to get the best education we can provide. My personal goal is for everyone that graduates from a program that I am involved in to say "I really learned a lot in that program." I'm sure most, if not all, of the military educators feel the same way.

Hey AFDDS! What are the benefits of doing an AEGD or specialty within the Air Force compared to outside?

Anyone know how many spots are left for the 3 yr? I know the Navy was out and haven't contacted my AF recruiter yet. So, I was wondering if anyone out there has a ball park, or if they're in the same ballpark as the Navy.

I have submitted my AF AEGD application. When will I know if I got in?

Hello Everybody,
I hope this is right thread in which I am asking this question. I am a dentist and I graduated from BU this year from the advanced standing program. I wanted to join millitary (navy, Army or AF) for work purposes. I am also interested to do my OMS residency in the future. Could anybody give me any suggestions as to how tough is it to get a job into millitary(Army, navy or AF)or to get into OMS residency. Do I really need very high scores. I do have some work experience behind my back. Can I also directly apply for OMS residency in the millitary(army, navy or AF) or do I have to work for the millitary and only then join residency

The last 2 years it has met in late Sep. I don't know for sure this year because I'm deployed.

I talked to AFPC last week and was told we should find out 2-3 weeks after the board meets (October 28 I think). Sounds like we're notified via phone.

I have a question for you guys that are later in the game. I am a second year dental student already signed up with the Air Force HPSP. I am wondering when we receive and have to submit the base preference package??? I'm not trying to knock any residency (props to you guys for more training), but I just want to do my four years then see from there.

So when do you turn in base preference and when do you hear back??

Tigertooth

You will receive all the information you are asking about will come to you in the middle of may at the beginning of your 4th year. The packet must be submitted by the end of September and you will here back early to mid November.

How do you choose base preferences? How many choices do you get and can you choose most of your top choices in the same state? Or are you required to choose 5 different states, etc? Thanks.

How do you choose base preferences? How many choices do you get and can you choose most of your top choices in the same state? Or are you required to choose 5 different states, etc? Thanks.

Typically get a list of bases with openings, so the number will vary from year to year. You will rank order them by your preference.

are AF hpsp hard to obtain? or should i have better chances with army? i love both branches and do not care which one i go into, jus want to serve my country
and when should we have our apps in and for af to start giving out offers for students entering dental class of 2010 fall?

also whats the app process like and whats the physical like before getting offer?

The AF is the most competitive scholarship to get while the army is the least. You can search on here for the pros and cons of each. The application for the scholarships are very lengthy you should get started asap in order to turn in your app as soon as you receive your acceptance letter (they might take it before your acceptance but I can't honestly remember). I turned my app in late and all the 4 year scholarships had been given out so I had to settle for a three year.

The physical is seemed to be a little more in depth than your standard physical but wasn't a big deal. Pee in a cup, check your body mass, weigh in etc.

Hi AFDDS,

If someone were to attend Pacific, would they be applying for a three-year or four-year HPSP scholarship? My local Navy recruiter says attending Pacific would require the four-year scholarship due to the four separate billing cycles (e.g. every nine months) of Pacific.
I put an answer to this on another thread, but thought I'd repost it here.

In the past, the AF gave a 4 year scholarship to those going to UOP. I was just informed that the recruiters are meeting soon to discuss this with AFPC and it may change. Stay tuned.

Hi, AFDDS
I posted this earlier too. I would really appreciate if you would put some light to my question
Hello Everybody,
I hope this is right thread in which I am asking this question. I am a dentist and I graduated from BU this year from the advanced standing program. I want to work for millitary (navy, Army or the AF). I am also interested to do my OMS residency in the future. Could anybody give me any suggestions as to how tough is it to get a job into millitary(Army, navy or AF)or to get into OMS residency. Do I really need very high scores. I do have some work experience behind my back. Can I also directly apply for OMS residency in the millitary(army, navy or AF) or do I have to work for the millitary and only then join residency

I put an answer to this on another thread, but thought I'd repost it here.

In the past, the AF gave a 4 year scholarship to those going to UOP. I was just informed that the recruiters are meeting soon to discuss this with AFPC and it may change. Stay tuned.

Hi, AFDDS
I posted this earlier too. I would really appreciate if you would put some light to my question
Hello Everybody,
I hope this is right thread in which I am asking this question. I am a dentist and I graduated from BU this year from the advanced standing program. I want to work for millitary (navy, Army or the AF). I am also interested to do my OMS residency in the future. Could anybody give me any suggestions as to how tough is it to get a job into millitary(Army, navy or AF)or to get into OMS residency. Do I really need very high scores. I do have some work experience behind my back. Can I also directly apply for OMS residency in the millitary(army, navy or AF) or do I have to work for the millitary and only then join residency

I can't speak for the other services and I can't give you concrete answers for the Air Force right now either. You mentioned graduating from the Advanced Standing Program. Are you a U.S. Citizen? If not, you're out of luck. You have to be a U.S. Citizen to serve as an officer.

The AF has been filling most of our needs over the last few years with HPSP students and we haven't recruited very many fully qualified (read already graduated with a license) dentists. That's not to say we won't, but the number has been low. Best way to find out is to contact your nearest Air Force Healthcare recruiter for the latest info.