Ask an Air Force Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am applying to dental school this year and am thinking about the HSPS. I think it sounds great but I am a bit hesitant because my fiancee is not sold. Here's a few questions:

1. Does the AF allow my family to travel with me or is it possible that I will be spending extended amounts of time away from them? If so, what would be the longest I would be away?

2. I plan on going to a 6 year OMFS program after dental school. If I did not want any help from the AF during this time (i.e. no stipend, no paid tuition for medical school) do I still owe them those six years as well as the four for dental school or can my payback be put on hold until I become an OMFS and enter the AF at that time for four years?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I have a question about instrument/material use. Do we have any say (in the AEGD and after) what materials we can use?

Yes and no. We usually have more than one brand of each material on hand. If you don't like what is available, you can make a request through the dental professional staff function to make a change. It's not economically feasible or prudent use of taxpayer dollars to have a different material for each provider. All the materials we use are backed up with evidence from research and the USAF Dental Investigative Service.

Also, are we able to use any instruments/materials that we may personally own?

Again, yes and no. I did this when I first came in the AF in 1998. I was trained in rotary endo and had all my own stuff from private practice. I was at a small base and was doing all the endo for the clinic. I used my own handpieces and the AF bought the files I needed until we got the handpieces we needed. Materials are another story. Being a large institution, and falling under OSHA regs, we must have a MSDS on file for all materials in the clinic. It becomes too difficult to manage that program if everyone is bringing in their own materials.

I have also heard that the Air Force will buy for us instruments/materials we would like to use if they aren't available at our base clinic - is there any truth to this?

At every base I've been at, we have changed materials or instruments based on a request by one or more of our providers. It usually requires approval by the dental professional staff.

Thanks!

We try to provide state of the art materials and equipment. We don't jump on materials just because they are new or seem to be OK materials. We'll make sure we're using the materials that are best for our patients.

I am applying to dental school this year and am thinking about the HSPS. I think it sounds great but I am a bit hesitant because my fiancee is not sold. Here's a few questions:

1. Does the AF allow my family to travel with me or is it possible that I will be spending extended amounts of time away from them? If so, what would be the longest I would be away?

All but a very few of our assignments allow you have your dependents with you. The few assignments that are "unaccompanied" are typically filled by volunteers. Deployments are another story. They are all unaccompanied for obvious reasons. They run from a 2 week TDY to a 6 month deployment at this time. We have provided some 1 year deployers, but all on a volunteer basis.

2. I plan on going to a 6 year OMFS program after dental school. If I did not want any help from the AF during this time (i.e. no stipend, no paid tuition for medical school) do I still owe them those six years as well as the four for dental school or can my payback be put on hold until I become an OMFS and enter the AF at that time for four years?

Good question about the payback. More importantly though, you would have to get permission to be "educationally delayed" to go to a residency instead of entering active duty. It does happen, but it's not the norm. If the AF has a need for OMFS at the time, it is more likely you can get the deferment, but no guarantees. You could be required to enter active duty and apply to the AF program or you could possibly apply to the AF program directly from your dental school.

Thanks

It would be a good idea to discuss the educational delay with your recruiter. If you don't get good answers from them, let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
When is too late to talk to Air Force about the scholarship for the next academic year? and are those scholarships running out?

I always see GRE scores listed for specialty matriculants...do we take the GRE exam or something to apply to specialty programs. Why don't they list their board scores as I would've thought this to be more important?

I always see GRE scores listed for specialty matriculants...do we take the GRE exam or something to apply to specialty programs. Why don't they list their board scores as I would've thought this to be more important?

In general, specialties that offer a masters degree require the GRE as it is required by most, if not all, masters programs.

So, to answer your question, yes, you will most likely need to take the GRE.

When is too late to talk to Air Force about the scholarship for the next academic year? and are those scholarships running out?

Never. If you are interested in a HPSP scholarship, you need to talk to your recruiter ASAP. They will be your best source for when to apply and how many are left.

Hi,, i dont if this has been asked before.. upon graduating from dental school, how much does the person make a year.?? Is it on salary or something else??/

First off, I want to thank you for all the insight I have gained from reading your posts and second, thanks for your service.

I am a Communications Officer at Travis AFB and have been in the AF 1.5 yrs now. I was in AFROTC in undergrad and planned to go to dental school right after graduation via educational delay but did not get in on the first try. I re-applied last year and got in to USC but the AF wouldn't let me go b/c the only way to go while on Active Duty is through the HPSP and I missed the HPSP board deadline (got accepted in May but the board meets in March/April). So, I was not allowed to attend and USC wouldn't defer. Now it's round three...I have an interview at UIC on Friday and was wondering if it would be a good idea to wear my uniform (Mess dress) to the interview???

My reasoning is I want to stress the importance of the strict deadline (NLT the end of Feb) I have to receive an acceptance letter which is set forth by military protocol...that is if I even get accepted! I was told by some friends it would definitely be a way for the interviewers to remember me...what do you think?

First off, I want to thank you for all the insight I have gained from reading your posts and second, thanks for your service.

I am a Communications Officer at Travis AFB and have been in the AF 1.5 yrs now. I was in AFROTC in undergrad and planned to go to dental school right after graduation via educational delay but did not get in on the first try. I re-applied last year and got in to USC but the AF wouldn't let me go b/c the only way to go while on Active Duty is through the HPSP and I missed the HPSP board deadline (got accepted in May but the board meets in March/April). So, I was not allowed to attend and USC wouldn't defer. Now it's round three...I have an interview at UIC on Friday and was wondering if it would be a good idea to wear my uniform (Mess dress) to the interview???

My reasoning is I want to stress the importance of the strict deadline (NLT the end of Feb) I have to receive an acceptance letter which is set forth by military protocol...that is if I even get accepted! I was told by some friends it would definitely be a way for the interviewers to remember me...what do you think?

Wearing your Service Dress uniform would be a great idea. When I interviewed, I was in the National Guard. As I was waiting on my interview, one of the associate deans came out and asked me to step into his office. When I walked in, I noticed a big red flag with gold fringe with a signle white star in the middle. He was a BG in the Army Reserves and just wanted to say hello since I was enlisted.

When I went into my interview, there was probably 6 people in the room asking me questions. When we got to the 3rd person in the room, he said, "I see you're in the National Guard. What is your MOS?" Once I told him what it was, he started telling me that he had the same MOS and had served in Vietnam. We spent 15 min of my interview just talking about the military.

I can't say for sure these things helped me get in, but they sure didn't hurt.

If you have any issues with getting an acceptance letter after your deadline, let me know. I worked at Air Staff (SG office) and still know some people there. They might be able to help if you have any problems.

AFDDS, thanks for all the info in this thread. I saw that you said you worked at the Air Staff SG office. Are you familiar at all with the waiver process? I'm still waiting for approval for a medical waiver. According to my recruiter, as of yesterday my waiver went "under review" with the medical board there. I'm just curious as to if you have a little more insight on the process.

AFDDS, thanks for all the info in this thread. I saw that you said you worked at the Air Staff SG office. Are you familiar at all with the waiver process? I'm still waiting for approval for a medical waiver. According to my recruiter, as of yesterday my waiver went "under review" with the medical board there. I'm just curious as to if you have a little more insight on the process.

I didn't have anything to do with the waiver process. Sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wearing your Service Dress uniform would be a great idea. When I interviewed, I was in the National Guard. As I was waiting on my interview, one of the associate deans came out and asked me to step into his office. When I walked in, I noticed a big red flag with gold fringe with a signle white star in the middle. He was a BG in the Army Reserves and just wanted to say hello since I was enlisted.

When I went into my interview, there was probably 6 people in the room asking me questions. When we got to the 3rd person in the room, he said, "I see you're in the National Guard. What is your MOS?" Once I told him what it was, he started telling me that he had the same MOS and had served in Vietnam. We spent 15 min of my interview just talking about the military.

I can't say for sure these things helped me get in, but they sure didn't hurt.

If you have any issues with getting an acceptance letter after your deadline, let me know. I worked at Air Staff (SG office) and still know some people there. They might be able to help if you have any problems.

Thanks for the advice, Sir!

Is ortho offered as a residency for new dental graduates? I was talking with a student graduating this may who said it wasn't even an option when he filled out the form for his residency choices.

Also, is it pretty standard for dental residents after finishing their AEGD to stay in that location afterwards? Or is it more usual for them to be sent to a different base?

How likely are getting an out of the country base locations fresh out of an AEGD program?

Thanks for all your help.

Is ortho offered as a residency for new dental graduates? I was talking with a student graduating this may who said it wasn't even an option when he filled out the form for his residency choices.

Not usually. We usually have more than enough qualified applicants that have been practicing for a few years with an AEGD under their belt.

Also, is it pretty standard for dental residents after finishing their AEGD to stay in that location afterwards? Or is it more usual for them to be sent to a different base?

Residents usually go on to another assignment. Occasionally, a resident will stay on and fill an open slot, but that is the exception.

How likely are getting an out of the country base locations fresh out of an AEGD program?

You have a good chance. They usually hold spots equally among CONUS and OCONUS locations so you more people get what they want.

Thanks for all your help.
I'm glad to help.

Thanks for all the great info thus for. I/my wife have a couple of questions i hope you could answer.

• WHat are the phone privileges? Can i have my own cell phone?

• Do I have visitor restrictions? For example could my wife see me every weekend if she wanted?
  • What is the difference of living on or off base? what is the living situation on base own? WOuld you live by yourself or with others? Restrictions?
  • What are my hours?
  • WHat would be my hours?
  • What are my duties? Am I simply doing dental work?
Thanks in advance

AFDDS,

What is the difference between CONUS and OCONUS locations? What are some examples of each? What are some factors that help decide where you are stationed? Do dependants play a large part in that decision?

Thanks

Thanks for all the great info thus for. I/my wife have a couple of questions i hope you could answer.

• WHat are the phone privileges? Can i have my own cell phone?
No restrictions. You can have your own cell.
  • Do I have visitor restrictions? For example could my wife see me every weekend if she wanted?
When are you referring to? I don't think you can have visitors at COT, but once you're at your duty station, there are no restrictions.
  • What is the difference of living on or off base? what is the living situation on base own? WOuld you live by yourself or with others? Restrictions?
If you live on base, you do not get a housing allowance, but you don't pay any rent. Most base housing is set up as duplexes.
  • What are my hours?
most bases are 07:30 - 16:30
  • WHat would be my hours?
  • What are my duties? Am I simply doing dental work?
Dental treatment with some additional duties worked in.
Thanks in advance

Daily life isn't that restricted.

AFDDS,

What is the difference between CONUS and OCONUS locations?
CONUS is Continental United States (lower 48 states). OCONUS is Other than Continental United States. (AK, HI, and all foreign locations)
What are some examples of each? What are some factors that help decide where you are stationed? Do dependants play a large part in that decision?

Thanks

You put in preference sheet to say where you want to go. Dependents are not allowed to accompany you to some locations. Those are usually assigned by volunteer requests. If you have dependents with special health care needs, you may not be able to go to some locations because your dependents' needs may be too complex for the local medical facility.

Could you direct me to someone in the AF to discuss first duty assignments following graduation?

Second, my comp crashed and I lost the link to where we can view our benefits letter and other HPSP details. I believe it started something like afit.edu/enem or something to that effect. Any ideas?

Could you direct me to someone in the AF to discuss first duty assignments following graduation?

Second, my comp crashed and I lost the link to where we can view our benefits letter and other HPSP details. I believe it started something like afit.edu/enem or something to that effect. Any ideas?

I can answer most of your questions.

I think this is the website you were looking for.

https://www.afit.edu/cip/hpsp.cfm Or this one https://www.afit.edu/cip/medden.cfm

AFDDS,

How rigorous is the 1yr- AEGD?

What is the precentage breakdown between didactic training vs. time in clinic?

Are there tests? If so, how much time is usually spent outside the 730-1630 studying?

During the AEGD, how will your performance be evaluated for future promotions in grade or even further specialty training?

thanks for your help.

I visited the AFIT site listed previously in this forum and noticed that although it invites visitors to check out the "Dental Corps Newsletter" for more information, when clicking on the link it sends you to a site with a username/password input.

What's the deal with this? Is it not actually public or is this some mistake in linking by AFIT? Anyway, if there is a way I can view this publication, I would like to. Thanks.

AFDDS,

How rigorous is the 1yr- AEGD?

I'd say clinically intensive.

What is the precentage breakdown between didactic training vs. time in clinic?

65-70% clinic

Are there tests? If so, how much time is usually spent outside the 730-1630 studying?

Some. This varies by program. study time is totally up to you.

During the AEGD, how will your performance be evaluated for future promotions in grade or even further specialty training?

You receive 3 feedback reports and 1 training report at the end of the program.

thanks for your help.

I tell everyone that you will get out of the AEGD what you put into it.

I visited the AFIT site listed previously in this forum and noticed that although it invites visitors to check out the "Dental Corps Newsletter" for more information, when clicking on the link it sends you to a site with a username/password input.

What's the deal with this? Is it not actually public or is this some mistake in linking by AFIT? Anyway, if there is a way I can view this publication, I would like to. Thanks.

I'll have to check into this. That may be the newsletter for students that have already received a HPSP.

Hey,

Are you guaranteed to move around at least once during a 3 to 4 pay back? Also, if you have a request from a US Senator, can you stay at one location for your entire payback.

Thanks,
Kevin512

Hey,

Are you guaranteed to move around at least once during a 3 to 4 pay back? Also, if you have a request from a US Senator, can you stay at one location for your entire payback.

Thanks,
Kevin512

It depends on whether or not you do an AEGD program. Some AEGD residents will stay at their base, but most will move at the end of their program. minimum time on station for CONUS locations (other than residencies) is 4 years, so once you get to your 1st assignment after your AEGD program, you should be there until your payback is up. OCONUS locations have other rules.

A letter will not help. These rules have been in place for years and there is a method to the madness.

AFDDS-

I have a couple of COT questions if you would be so kind. I live in the Midwest, have COT at Maxwell AFB in Alabama, and will start my AEGD at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS shortly thereafter. If I drive to COT does the AF reimburse my travel costs or am I expected to fly to COT and have my automobile shipped to Keesler AFB along with my household goods?

Secondly, are we allowed to leave base at all during COT? If so, for how long?

Thank you again, for advice is tremendously helpful.

I can answer most of your questions.

I think this is the website you were looking for.

https://www.afit.edu/cip/hpsp.cfm Or this one https://www.afit.edu/cip/medden.cfm

Thanks. 1st Q - bases...is there a list or map of all the different AF bases in the US where we rank and ask to be stationed at somewhere online?

2nd - Here's my situation - My wife is in medical school and we're going to try and work it out so that I get stationed somewhere where she can do her residency. We're both 2nd years. Obviously this is going to be a logistical nightmare because she may get accepted into programs in areas with AF bases where I may not have necessarily even ranked, etc. As such, do you have any suggestions or know who I may talk to that deals with these things?

AFDDS-

I have a couple of COT questions if you would be so kind. I live in the Midwest, have COT at Maxwell AFB in Alabama, and will start my AEGD at Keesler AFB in Biloxi, MS shortly thereafter. If I drive to COT does the AF reimburse my travel costs or am I expected to fly to COT and have my automobile shipped to Keesler AFB along with my household goods?

I'm not sure about this one, but I'll take a stab at it. The AF will pay to fly you to COT, or you can drive. If you drive, they reimburse most/all of your travel costs. After COT, then they would pay for your travel to Keesler. I'm not sure how the moving would work in that scenario...I'm assuming they would move your stuff from wherever you are now to Keesler after COT. If you fly, I'm pretty positive you would fly back home and then the AF would move you to Keesler and reimburse your travel expenses. I'm sure someone would have more insight into this, but I think that's how it worked with others in my flight....now that I think about it, I think those who flew were then flown to their next assignment and their belongings where moved from wherever they were before COT.

I was at COT a few summers ago. The first weekend you will be restricted to the COT campus (a portion of Maxwell). Sometime during the second week you will be allowed to go anywhere on base (but only on "off" hours - basically after 6pm on weekdays and anytime on weekends). Probably at the end of you third week you'll be allowed off-base priveldges. Whenever you're not in class (ie..after 6pm) and you leave your dorm, you have to sign out as to where you are going and have a contact number. You will not be allowed to stay the night anywhere else. Hope this helps answer your question.

hope that helps

Thanks. 1st Q - bases...is there a list or map of all the different AF bases in the US where we rank and ask to be stationed at somewhere online?

2nd - Here's my situation - My wife is in medical school and we're going to try and work it out so that I get stationed somewhere where she can do her residency. We're both 2nd years. Obviously this is going to be a logistical nightmare because she may get accepted into programs in areas with AF bases where I may not have necessarily even ranked, etc. As such, do you have any suggestions or know who I may talk to that deals with these things?

http://airforcemedicine.afms.mil/id...ssignments&doctype=subpage&docname=CTB_074444

This page has a link to maps of CONUS/OCONUS clinic locations

AFDDS-

I'm pretty sure the AF paid my travel costs to COT and I know they paid the costs from COT to Texas.

We got to leave base on the weekends when I was at COT. I don't know if they still do that or not.

See Focker2Fillings' post above.

This will probably be a nightmare, as you noted. Work very closely with AFPC and start working with them early. Needs of the AF will come first, but they will work very hard to help you out.

AFDDS-

Hello, I have a question about the choosing a base.
I am in HPSP and will start dental school from this fall.

How much chance will I have to get the base I want after dental school or AEGD? I have a girl friend who will be my fiance and She's going to med school next year. Since she has to do 2~3 years of residency after med school, I really like to live near her (We might be married by then if we keep our relationship). I know there is a pretty good chance to get the base I want for officers, but I would like to get some advice to increase my chance.

Thank you.

p.s. I have scheduled to take an oath this Friday. :)

AFDDS-

Hello, I have a question about the choosing a base.
I am in HPSP and will start dental school from this fall.

How much chance will I have to get the base I want after dental school or AEGD? I have a girl friend who will be my fiance and She's going to med school next year. Since she has to do 2~3 years of residency after med school, I really like to live near her (We might be married by then if we keep our relationship). I know there is a pretty good chance to get the base I want for officers, but I would like to get some advice to increase my chance.

Thank you.

p.s. I have scheduled to take an oath this Friday. :)

The best way to increase your chances are to work closely with AFPC when the time comes for assignments. Needs of the AF must come first, but our assignments office personnel work very hard to get you where you need to be as well.

When the time comes, make sure you put your situation in writing to AFPC and be flexible. They may not be able to get you in the same town, but they may be able to get you close. Also, as they say, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. It may not work to get you close.

Can an incoming dental student sign up for a 3-yr HPSP scholarship, or is that only reserved for D1 students going into HPSP?

Last edited:
The best way to increase your chances are to work closely with AFPC when the time comes for assignments. Needs of the AF must come first, but our assignments office personnel work very hard to get you where you need to be as well.

When the time comes, make sure you put your situation in writing to AFPC and be flexible. They may not be able to get you in the same town, but they may be able to get you close. Also, as they say, hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. It may not work to get you close.

Thank you for your response.
I read one of your thread said that Jan and Feb are the request period, and the next assignment will be determined by Apr. Since medical school residency announce date is mid March every year, do you think the chance will be decreased if I wait to request my desire assignment until March, her residency location is determined?

Thank you.

Thank you for your response.
I read one of your thread said that Jan and Feb are the request period, and the next assignment will be determined by Apr. Since medical school residency announce date is mid March every year, do you think the chance will be decreased if I wait to request my desire assignment until March, her residency location is determined?

Thank you.

Those dates are for AEGD graduates. I'm not sure what the dates are for dental school graduates. You'll need to talk to AFPC to get the dates for new grads.

how much does a dentist in the air force make annually?
what are the benefits?
what is a typical day as an air force dentist?
what are the retirement benefits?
what are the benefits if you are married?
do dentists get deployed of switch bases often?

how much does a dentist in the air force make annually?
what are the benefits?
what is a typical day as an air force dentist?
what are the retirement benefits?
what are the benefits if you are married?
do dentists get deployed of switch bases often?
Look back on this thread to post #280. It will answer most if not all of your questions.

Married benefits include an increased housing allowance. You'll see that on post #280.

We don't deploy often and it is commonly on a volunteer basis. Some deployments are scheduled. Typical minimum time on station for CONUS (lower 48 states) bases is 4 years. Most OCONUS (AK, HI, and foreign countries) are 3 years with dependents. Korea is typically unaccompanied (family can't go with you) and it is a 1 year assignment.

I started a thread but maybe I should have posted this here, sorry.

Here's my dilemma. I'm trying to decide between a private school in a big city and a state school (which I am not a resident of) to which I received a hefty scholarship. I would basically be paying the same as residents for all 4 years.

If I go to the private school, I'm looking to do the 3 year HPSP with the airforce. How valuable will this experience be in terms of me getting a job afterward? Will my rank as an officer make me more desirable for established dentists to partner up with? How much will I make in my first real job? More than someone just coming out of school?

This is extremely important since if I go to the state school, I will not do the HPSP. I assume that I would make around 100k coming out of school then.

P.S. I'm not doing HPSP for the money, I am merely trying to figure it all out financially so I can convince my parents to let me do HPSP.

How soon after the January boards do names get released for the HPSP scholarship? Apparently my recruiter doesn't know when he is going to find out from the big dogs.

I started a thread but maybe I should have posted this here, sorry.

Here's my dilemma. I'm trying to decide between a private school in a big city and a state school (which I am not a resident of) to which I received a hefty scholarship. I would basically be paying the same as residents for all 4 years.

If I go to the private school, I'm looking to do the 3 year HPSP with the airforce. How valuable will this experience be in terms of me getting a job afterward?

It can't hurt. You'll have some experience under your belt and you'll be faster than someone right out of school. If you decide to do an AEGD, you'll be even more experienced.

Will my rank as an officer make me more desirable for established dentists to partner up with?
Can't say for sure. Most will look at your experience level first.

How much will I make in my first real job? More than someone just coming out of school?

You should make more. You'll need to negotiate that when the time comes. Most of my friends that have separated got a base salary with incentive pay based on production.

This is extremely important since if I go to the state school, I will not do the HPSP. I assume that I would make around 100k coming out of school then.

P.S. I'm not doing HPSP for the money, I am merely trying to figure it all out financially so I can convince my parents to let me do HPSP.
Whichever school you go to, you should consider the HPSP. It sounds like you will have debt either way if you don't do the HPSP. 3-4 years out of your life in the AF is minimal compared to the rest of your dental career. Why not graduate debt free (or as close as possible), complete one of the world's best AEGD programs while getting paid, and then practice for a few years to get your speed up. Then the world is your oyster and you can go take it by storm.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello AFDDS,

Thanks for all your inputs thus far, it has been very informative. I was curious if the AF would be somewhat unwilling to grant HPSP scholarships to students in private dental schools, since their tution and fees are generally higher? Thanks

P.S. Somewhat new to the site (first post).:)

Hello AFDDS,

Thanks for all your inputs thus far, it has been very informative. I was curious if the AF would be somewhat unwilling to grant HPSP scholarships to students in private dental schools, since their tution and fees are generally higher? Thanks

P.S. Somewhat new to the site (first post).:)

Nope. many of our scholarships go to people in private school

How soon after the January boards do names get released for the HPSP scholarship? Apparently my recruiter doesn't know when he is going to find out from the big dogs.

I was told today, your recruiter should know the results by now or they can call Recruiting Service at Randolph and find out.

Thanks for your quick reply about HPSP and private schools. That is good news for me, considering I am a resident of Kansas, and will be applying with out state status to every school. No dental school in Kansas.

Is it ever possible to be granted permission on a AF base to actually see a dentist work in his/her environment within the dental treatment facility?