Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it okay to bring my Fiancee to a second look social event?

Is there some sort of unwritten rule?

Members don't see this ad.

Is it okay to bring my Fiancee to a second look social event?

Is there some sort of unwritten rule?

If the invitation states or implies that you may bring a guest, then it's definitely OK. If you aren't sure, contact the PC at that program for some guidance.

Reactions: 2 users
Now that interview season is coming to a close, is it smart to send a follow up email to programs you're genuinely interested in matching at? just saying things like, I still really like your program after seeing others, and that I'll be ranking you highly, I'd be honored to match there, etc. And if so, should we send that to just the PD and PC? or PD, PC, and everyone we interviewed with?

Now that interview season is coming to a close, is it smart to send a follow up email to programs you're genuinely interested in matching at? just saying things like, I still really like your program after seeing others, and that I'll be ranking you highly, I'd be honored to match there, etc. And if so, should we send that to just the PD and PC? or PD, PC, and everyone we interviewed with?

Totally your call, many people do write such notes and don't be discouraged if you don't get a response back - many programs go silent leading up to the match. Unless you really clicked with an interviewer and have been in contact since your interview, please do not write every interviewer - the PC and (if you prefer) the PD are more than adequate to get your message across.

Reactions: 3 users
Is it uncommon for applicants with a disclosed misdemeanor conviction to get filtered out and/or an automatic rejection without the program reading the application?

Once you hit "certify" and you have the green certified next to status on NRMP, there's nothing else to do before match day, right? I'm so paranoid lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Once you hit "certify" and you have the green certified next to status on NRMP, there's nothing else to do before match day, right? I'm so paranoid lol.

Hitting Certify is just the beginning!

After you certify, you hit edit and rearrange the order of the list and hit Certify again. Over and over. Multiple times per day as the certification deadline approaches. Then after the deadline you worry that maybe you put them in the wrong order, or forgot to re-hit Certify after that last minute edit, or...

(seriously- yes, go on vacation until the Monday of match week)

Reactions: 3 users
Hitting Certify is just the beginning!

After you certify, you hit edit and rearrange the order of the list and hit Certify again. Over and over. Multiple times per day as the certification deadline approaches. Then after the deadline you worry that maybe you put them in the wrong order, or forgot to re-hit Certify after that last minute edit, or...

(seriously- yes, go on vacation until the Monday of match week)

Haha thanks! I'm actually heading to a 4 week international rotation on Sunday with spotty internet so I just wanted to make sure. I'll be sure to spend some time to relax!

Is it uncommon for applicants with a disclosed misdemeanor conviction to get filtered out and/or an automatic rejection without the program reading the application?

It is totally program dependent. I expect that the usual answer is "no". In very competitive fields / programs, perhaps.

Hello everyone! Thank you for the awesome thread. Answered many of my queries.

My question is for PD's and PC's here, though anyone with expertise is welcome to give suggestions.
1) If we really like a program, and that program is actually the top choice, is it okay to have PD contacted by more than one person (mentor/physician whom we rotated/worked with).
2) Does it make any difference if they already have wrote LoR's and they are attached with application.

THANKS!!

Hello everyone! Thank you for the awesome thread. Answered many of my queries.

My question is for PD's and PC's here, though anyone with expertise is welcome to give suggestions.
1) If we really like a program, and that program is actually the top choice, is it okay to have PD contacted by more than one person (mentor/physician whom we rotated/worked with).
2) Does it make any difference if they already have wrote LoR's and they are attached with application.

THANKS!!

There's no "answer" to this, as it will depend upon program/field/individual. For some programs, contact like this might make a difference. For others, not. In general, if you're going to have someone reach out to the PD, I'd make it a single person.

Thanks for the input. I am IMG and this is for IM. I very much appreciate your response.

How competitive is the SOAP for IM-Prelim spots for an FMG with mid 260s Step 1 + mid 270s CK? Thanks.

How competitive is the SOAP for IM-Prelim spots for an FMG with mid 260s Step 1 + mid 270s CK? Thanks.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf Start on page 46.

There were 94 Prelim IM spots in SOAP. There were 2200 US grads, 4000 US IMG's, and 5800 non US IMG's looking for spots.

This data is a year old: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Mona-GSA-presentation-2015-Final.pdf but has much more information. About half way through you'll find the slides you're looking for. Of those 4000/5800 USIMG and FMG's, about 100 each got spots in SOAP of any field (not just Prelim IM)

So:best avoided if possible. Many more Prelim GS spots.

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Main-Match-Results-and-Data-2016.pdf Start on page 46.

There were 94 Prelim IM spots in SOAP. There were 2200 US grads, 4000 US IMG's, and 5800 non US IMG's looking for spots.

This data is a year old: http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Mona-GSA-presentation-2015-Final.pdf but has much more information. About half way through you'll find the slides you're looking for. Of those 4000/5800 USIMG and FMG's, about 100 each got spots in SOAP of any field (not just Prelim IM)

So:best avoided if possible. Many more Prelim GS spots.

Thanks for putting things into perspective! Yes, I'll definitely play it safe with my match strategy. The competition seems insane for those spots.

Hi PDs, this thread is amazing. Thanks for giving us your time.

Just curious about how concerned PDs are about the visa situation.

With 7 countries being singled out for vetting, is it having an effect on how those 7 countries are ranked? How about those that need an H1b vs J1? It seems like the H1b could potentially be in serious trouble. How far behind will the J1 be under fire. Do you think it's having an effect on ALL non-US IMGs needing any visa, or just the7 singled-out countries?

Hi PDs, this thread is amazing. Thanks for giving us your time.

Just curious about how concerned PDs are about the visa situation.

With 7 countries being singled out for vetting, is it having an effect on how those 7 countries are ranked? How about those that need an H1b vs J1? It seems like the H1b could potentially be in serious trouble. How far behind will the J1 be under fire. Do you think it's having an effect on ALL non-US IMGs needing any visa, or just the7 singled-out countries?

As of right now, immigration lawyers are warning that immigration officials were told to stop approving final decisions on any current visa applications of individuals that are citizens or nationals of those 7 countries, including any who are currently in the US and applying.

The EO is officially for 120 days, but it's unclear whether it will be extended. Given that that runs to about a month before the start of residency, it's very possible that it could delay visa applications for GME. Now whether that will affect the way PDs rank is probably variable.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a terrible situation, and one completely out of our control. It turns out I have no one on my rank list needing a visa from one of those 7 countries, purely by luck. If I did, I hate to say it but I probably would remove them from the rank list. The visa hold is for ALL visas, regardless of type. Assuming that the 120 day hold isn't lifted, it guarantees a late start, and perhaps a "never" start. It's very hard to run a program missing people -- the schedule is tight as it is. I'd feel terrible about it, but I'd probably decide that my decision to keep someone on the list who then can't start ends up hurting all the rest of the interns in the program, and my prime responsibility is to them, not a few individuals on my rank list.

But it breaks my heart to write that.

Reactions: 8 users
It's a terrible situation, and one completely out of our control. It turns out I have no one on my rank list needing a visa from one of those 7 countries, purely by luck. If I did, I hate to say it but I probably would remove them from the rank list. The visa hold is for ALL visas, regardless of type. Assuming that the 120 day hold isn't lifted, it guarantees a late start, and perhaps a "never" start. It's very hard to run a program missing people -- the schedule is tight as it is. I'd feel terrible about it, but I'd probably decide that my decision to keep someone on the list who then can't start ends up hurting all the rest of the interns in the program, and my prime responsibility is to them, not a few individuals on my rank list.

Thank you for your response.

May I ask if there are any preliminary/final decisions regarding ranking for non-US IMGs not from those 7 countries (I'm from Europe) that need visa (J1 or H1B)?

Do you think that the current situation with visas will affect our rank in the coming Match?

Do you send the "I'm ranking you number 1, love, hearts, xoxoxo" email to the PD or to the "chair of the residency/intern selection committee" if they're different people? Or to both?

May I ask if there are any preliminary/final decisions regarding ranking for non-US IMGs not from those 7 countries (I'm from Europe) that need visa (J1 or H1B)?

Do you think that the current situation with visas will affect our rank in the coming Match?

We are leaving other visa-requiring students on our rank list. But I expect seismic shifts in visa policy in the next year. "America First", you know.

We are leaving other visa-requiring students on our rank list. But I expect seismic shifts in visa policy in the next year. "America First", you know.

the way you have written this sounds like you already downgraded them on your ROL this year

How about green card holders from those countries? Would you change their rank even though they do not need a visa?

How about green card holders from those countries? Would you change their rank even though they do not need a visa?
Just to be clear, I haven't decided what to do yet. In any case, anyone with a GC is good to work, doesn't need a visa. They changed their policy quickly from implementation to allow those with GC's to enter and leave the country. Anyone with a GC is unlikely to have it removed. So, I don't see this as a risk at all.

Just to be clear, I haven't decided what to do yet. In any case, anyone with a GC is good to work, doesn't need a visa. They changed their policy quickly from implementation to allow those with GC's to enter and leave the country. Anyone with a GC is unlikely to have it removed. So, I don't see this as a risk at all.
Makes sense, thank you!

Received the following email:
Dear Doctor,

ECFMG is following the developing issues related to President Trump’s Executive Order 13769 (EO), issued January 27, 2017, limiting the entry to the United States of foreign nationals from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, and Yemen and foreign nationals who previously visited such countries from March 1, 2011 to present, for a period of 90 days. We are consulting with immigration counsel and the academic medical education community to evaluate the potential impact on foreign national physicians.

While the EO may change or expand, the 90-day suspension of the issuance of entry visas to individuals from the seven identified countries could be lifted in late April or modified at any time. While this situation is dynamic and there are no guarantees, foreign national physicians with residency contracts should have sufficient time to apply for and secure an appropriate visa status to enter the United States and report to their training programs on time in late June. It may be helpful to know that we also have communicated this information to U.S. program directors.
We will provide updates, as they become available, via our website (www.ecfmg.org), Twitter feed, and Facebook page. In the meantime, please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions.

William W. Pinsky, MD
President and CEO
ECFMG
Chair, Board of Directors
FAIMER

Do you screen applicants' social media pages as part of the process?

This was partially addressed earlier - the idea of mentors making phone calls on your behalf post-interview, pre-rank list submissions. I understand that it might mean nothing, but is there a chance it might hurt my chances? Will the program director feel like my mentor or I are trying to twist his arm?
This place is my #1 by far - I love it so much there, but it's probably a reach for me. I don't look great on paper. At the interview, I found out the program director was actually a big fan of this mentor's writing, so I thought maybe he'd fan-girl a bit to get a personal phone call... but then I think I'm a jerk for thinking that. Can this be over already?

This was partially addressed earlier - the idea of mentors making phone calls on your behalf post-interview, pre-rank list submissions. I understand that it might mean nothing, but is there a chance it might hurt my chances? Will the program director feel like my mentor or I are trying to twist his arm?
This place is my #1 by far - I love it so much there, but it's probably a reach for me. I don't look great on paper. At the interview, I found out the program director was actually a big fan of this mentor's writing, so I thought maybe he'd fan-girl a bit to get a personal phone call... but then I think I'm a jerk for thinking that. Can this be over already?
You don't really have much to lose from this.

Is it a bit manipulative? Possibly...but whatever.

Unlikely to harm you.

US IMG, w/ Step 1 208, Passed CS first time, California resident, looking to apply to family med or IM, w/ future goal of primary care.

I apologize if I repeated any questions, but I looked through forum trying to avoid a repeat question. I am hoping I didn't. Thank you in advance.

1. Does ERAS show two Step 2CK transcripts (one failed, one passed)?
2. Is there a filter for those who have failed Step 2ck?
3. Should I explain a failed Step 2Ck in a personal statement or somewhere in my application?
4. Is it recommended to take Step 3 before residency since I have one failed attempt for Step 2CK?
5. I have option of graduating from my school on April 2017 vs November 2017, is it better to apply in ERAS as a medical student vs grad?
6. Any other recommendations for someone who failed Step 2 ck? I've developed a test phobia for this test and want to do really well before i retake.

Dumb question, but are those papers we're supposed to sign and give back on interview days actually important? I have a couple folders with the paper still inside, because I wasn't thinking about it when I was at the interview. I feel like it's a formality for the programs, but in these next 2 weeks of freaking out on a daily basis and rehashing what I might have screwed up to not make me match, I just want to make sure they aren't something truly important that they won't rank you without.

US IMG, w/ Step 1 208, Passed CS first time, California resident, looking to apply to family med or IM, w/ future goal of primary care.

I apologize if I repeated any questions, but I looked through forum trying to avoid a repeat question. I am hoping I didn't. Thank you in advance.

3. Should I explain a failed Step 2Ck in a personal statement or somewhere in my application?
4. Is it recommended to take Step 3 before residency since I have one failed attempt for Step 2CK?
5. I have option of graduating from my school on April 2017 vs November 2017, is it better to apply in ERAS as a medical student vs grad?
6. Any other recommendations for someone who failed Step 2 ck? I've developed a test phobia for this test and want to do really well before i retake.

1. Yes
2. Programs can design any filter they want
3. Up to you. An explanation may sway some programs but work against you at others. If you do address it in your personal statement, try to make the explanation not sound like an excuse. If you had a leave of absence related the the CK failure, you could also address it in that section.
4. From what I understand, you aren't likely to do as well on Step 3 before residency, and the score would matter more if you are trying to offset the CK failure.
5. It's better to apply as a medical student so defer graduation if you can.
6. Apply broadly, find a mentor/adviser who can help you craft your application and who would be willing to make some calls on your behalf to secure interview invitations, and stay involved clinically.

Dumb question, but are those papers we're supposed to sign and give back on interview days actually important? I have a couple folders with the paper still inside, because I wasn't thinking about it when I was at the interview. I feel like it's a formality for the programs, but in these next 2 weeks of freaking out on a daily basis and rehashing what I might have screwed up to not make me match, I just want to make sure they aren't something truly important that they won't rank you without.

They are only important if you match, and then only if you wanted to challenge something in your contract, so don't worry about it affecting your ranking. I doubt my PD even knows that there is a form for the applicants to sign (it's really my department's business manager who cares deeply about those forms). However, if you liked those programs, returning the form would be a way to touch base with them and show interest. You could scan the signed document and attach it to an email.

Reactions: 1 users

H1B is a fascinating visa for medicine residency. Probably not what it was intended for and is varibaly offered by programs. As a PD who does NOT offer the H1B for Residency, I don't have to worry about this one.

J1 visas for immigrant physicians constitute ~50% of trainees in the USA. That's 3000 positions annually. I would have said before that it is inconceivable that this program would be affected in a broad manner (aside from the 7 countries). I would not say that anymore, mainly because I don't think that the consequences of any of these policies has been well thought out. I do think that the general "deterrent" effect has been the main goal and that goal has been achieved. Mission accomplished.

I gave a talk for 3 months about not changing people's ranks based on their visa status. I have a small number of students from the affected countries. I certified my list last week with them on it. It's a stubborn decision and not entirely rational. I have other visa-needing applicants on my list as well. If the whole J1 program gets thrown into doubt, I will be only one of scores of programs across the country in trouble. There is no back-up plan for that situation.

Reactions: 5 users

Interestingly, my answers are somewhat different from @mcl.

1. Sort of. Yes, your official USMLE transcript will show all attempts and all scores, so it's all there for review. But, when I create "filters" for applicants, I can only filter based upon your last score. So if you fail, and then pass, and I run a filter for "fail", your application will not show up. When I pull your app up for review I'll see an indication that there was a USMLE issue, and then I need to look at the report for the details.

2. See #1. If your most recent score is fail, then yes. If you fail and then pass, then no.

3. This is controversial, I agree with mcl. You failed because you got too many questions wrong. That's really the only "explanation". So, if you're going to talk about it, the key is to try to explain why it won't happen again. But it's a balancing act between making excuses and convincing me the problem is fixed.

4. If you did really well on S3, then sure it would be a big boost. But let's be serious here -- you didn't do all that well on S1, and then failed S2. S3 covers material that tends to be learned as an intern. Your chances of doing well on it as a medical student don't seem good. Just barely passing it won't help at all. Failing it will definitely hurt you. It's a huge risk with little chance of upside.

5. This is also controversial. The NRMP data shows that current students do better than prior grads. But this is highly biased/skewed -- previous grads usually are applying a second (or more) time, hence have something in their app that caused them to not match the first time, so it's not a surprise that they have more trouble matching. If the gap from medical school to residency is too long, then PD's make become concerned that your skills have atrophied. But graduating early can have some (rare) benefits -- if a program has an off cycle spot open (i.e. they need an intern now), they might offer you a spot to start early. So, my overall sense is that this probably doesn't matter, and what matters is why you're applying as a prior grad (i.e. if you're actually graduating later than usual because of your CK failure, that will be a problem).

6. Agreed with above. And try to figure out how to "study smarter". Taking exams is forever in your future -- you want to find a way so that you pass them without worries and anxiety.

Interestingly, my answers are somewhat different from @mcl.

1. Sort of. Yes, your official USMLE transcript will show all attempts and all scores, so it's all there for review. But, when I create "filters" for applicants, I can only filter based upon your last score. So if you fail, and then pass, and I run a filter for "fail", your application will not show up. When I pull your app up for review I'll see an indication that there was a USMLE issue, and then I need to look at the report for the details.

2. See #1. If your most recent score is fail, then yes. If you fail and then pass, then no.

3. This is controversial, I agree with mcl. You failed because you got too many questions wrong. That's really the only "explanation". So, if you're going to talk about it, the key is to try to explain why it won't happen again. But it's a balancing act between making excuses and convincing me the problem is fixed.

4. If you did really well on S3, then sure it would be a big boost. But let's be serious here -- you didn't do all that well on S1, and then failed S2. S3 covers material that tends to be learned as an intern. Your chances of doing well on it as a medical student don't seem good. Just barely passing it won't help at all. Failing it will definitely hurt you. It's a huge risk with little chance of upside.

5. This is also controversial. The NRMP data shows that current students do better than prior grads. But this is highly biased/skewed -- previous grads usually are applying a second (or more) time, hence have something in their app that caused them to not match the first time, so it's not a surprise that they have more trouble matching. If the gap from medical school to residency is too long, then PD's make become concerned that your skills have atrophied. But graduating early can have some (rare) benefits -- if a program has an off cycle spot open (i.e. they need an intern now), they might offer you a spot to start early. So, my overall sense is that this probably doesn't matter, and what matters is why you're applying as a prior grad (i.e. if you're actually graduating later than usual because of your CK failure, that will be a problem).

6. Agreed with above. And try to figure out how to "study smarter". Taking exams is forever in your future -- you want to find a way so that you pass them without worries and anxiety.

Thank you very much, your responses were very helpful. (@mcl as well)

Is "I rushed to take the exam, even though I did not feel ready, to submit my applications for the 2017 match" a good response to "why did you fail?" It may seem like an excuse, but it's my truth.

Also, my school provides graduation dates for end of March, April and November. I wanted to take a month off for dedicated step 2 ck studying, since I did not do this last time. I would finish my rotations end of May vs end of April, hence pushing me towards an official graduation of Nov 2017. I would still be ECFMG certified when applying for 2018 match. Does that make any difference?

H1B is a fascinating visa for medicine residency. Probably not what it was intended for and is varibaly offered by programs. As a PD who does NOT offer the H1B for Residency, I don't have to worry about this one.
I gave a talk for 3 months about not changing people's ranks based on their visa status. I have a small number of students from the affected countries. I certified my list last week with them on it. It's a stubborn decision and not entirely rational. I have other visa-needing applicants on my list as well. If the whole J1 program gets thrown into doubt, I will be only one of scores of programs across the country in trouble. There is no back-up plan for that situation.

What happens to those in pre match programs as well as applicants who matched with them and already signed to contract, if the signed are from countries with visa issues? Would programs reconsider their offers/ contracts?

What happens to those in pre match programs as well as applicants who matched with them and already signed to contract, if the signed are from countries with visa issues? Would programs reconsider their offers/ contracts?
If you can't get a visa, you have violated your contract and it will be null and void. They may wait for you...but I suspect that any program that pre-matches doesn't give 2 s***s about who shows up as long as they can work.

If you can't get a visa, you have violated your contract and it will be null and void. They may wait for you...but I suspect that any program that pre-matches doesn't give 2 s***s about who shows up as long as they can work.

I would have worded it a bit differently, but the gist is the same.

Your match/contract requires that you be able to begin work by a certain date, usually July 1. If you can't start work on that date, whether under your control or not, then you have not met the requirements of your contract and it is no longer valid, and I can petition the NRMP for a waiver if needed. Reasons for not starting on July 1 might include: inability to get a license, failing a drug test, inability to get a visa, not completing orientation / on boarding materials, etc. I can then decide to delay your start, or hire someone new.

I would have worded it a bit differently, but the gist is the same.

Your match/contract requires that you be able to begin work by a certain date, usually July 1. If you can't start work on that date, whether under your control or not, then you have not met the requirements of your contract and it is no longer valid, and I can petition the NRMP for a waiver if needed. Reasons for not starting on July 1 might include: inability to get a license, failing a drug test, inability to get a visa, not completing orientation / on boarding materials, etc. I can then decide to delay your start, or hire someone new.

In my time, I've had students with visa problems, students get clinically depressed and be unable to work and students break a leg while skiing. I've delayed the starts successfully, though painfully. One student was delayed, was still not ready and eventually we got a waiver for his Match. We kept in touch in the hope that his disease would improve, but it didn't. Still not doing clinical medicine as far as I know.

US IMG, 3 attempts on CS, first pass on the others. I am graduating in May and pondering the best way to move forward for the 2018 match. My options for the gap time are:
1. doing burn research with a surgeon at a hospital affiliated with a residency program- they actually offered me an interview despite my first failed CS attempt but I unfortunately let that slipped
2. working in a private neurology clinic, seeing patients under supervision and helping with clinical trials - I would love to not have a year away from clinical medicine but the networking from this option maybe limited

I am planning to apply to FM and IM and would appreciate guidance as to which option would be better for my application. Thank you in advance!

Does anyone have any idea why ROL deadline (and by extension match day) has to be so late? Would be great if everything were moved up a month or so.. feel like i've just been sitting around since beginning of feb.

Hi there, thank you for answering all of these questions. I'm hoping you can help me with mine, and I apologize that it's so longwinded! I'm a U.S. IMG, graduating from a UK school, and interviewed at 13 internal medicine programs this season. My Step 1 and 2 scores are 240s and 250s, respectively, and passed CS on first attempt.Thankfully, I've received positive feedback and even some written cards post-interview from programs this season. My question pertains to the ECFMG status report vs. USMLE transcript. My step 1 and step 2ck scores were released prior to ERAS applications, so they were uploaded immediately, but my step 2 cs score was released in late November. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that I was supposed to manually transmit my step 2 cs score once it was released (kicking myself now for my incompetence), so that it could be seen on my usmle transcript in time for match. However, my updated ECFMG status report was uploaded to ERAS immediately after my step 2 cs score was released in November, and as far as I have read, the ECFMG status report contains the pass dates for every step exam taken, including CS.

Fast forward to the Friday before ROL deadline, and I received a group email from one program coordinator (bless her heart for alerting me to this) asking all of us to update our step 2 cs scores and ecfmg status. It was at this point that I read and realized that I needed to manually transmit my step 2cs score to ERAS, which I then did. The problem is, it was so close to ROL deadline (the weekend before), and I'm worried that the other programs may not have received my step 2 cs info in time. I never heard from any other program that anything was missing, but of course, this was my responsibility to ensure. I even called and emailed several programs to make sure everything was received in time before ROL deadline, but of the half that replied, all they could tell me was that they had my updated information at that time.

My questions are--is this mistake of mine enough to keep me off an ROL or bump me to the bottom? Would a program have looked at my ECFMG status report, seen that I'd passed step 2cs prior to the ROL deadline, and been satsifed with that? Or would it have been a dealbreaker since it wasn't on my USMLE transcript? And would a program have reached out to me if something important was missing, or do they simply not have the time for that? I apologize again for the long winded and somewhat neurotic post, I'm just really hoping that all of my hard work has not been jeopardized by a very stupid mistake on my part. Thank you!

Hi there, thank you for answering all of these questions. I'm hoping you can help me with mine, and I apologize that it's so longwinded! I'm a U.S. IMG, graduating from a UK school, and interviewed at 13 internal medicine programs this season. My Step 1 and 2 scores are 240s and 250s, respectively, and passed CS on first attempt.Thankfully, I've received positive feedback and even some written cards post-interview from programs this season. My question pertains to the ECFMG status report vs. USMLE transcript. My step 1 and step 2ck scores were released prior to ERAS applications, so they were uploaded immediately, but my step 2 cs score was released in late November. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that I was supposed to manually transmit my step 2 cs score once it was released (kicking myself now for my incompetence), so that it could be seen on my usmle transcript in time for match. However, my updated ECFMG status report was uploaded to ERAS immediately after my step 2 cs score was released in November, and as far as I have read, the ECFMG status report contains the pass dates for every step exam taken, including CS.

Fast forward to the Friday before ROL deadline, and I received a group email from one program coordinator (bless her heart for alerting me to this) asking all of us to update our step 2 cs scores and ecfmg status. It was at this point that I read and realized that I needed to manually transmit my step 2cs score to ERAS, which I then did. The problem is, it was so close to ROL deadline (the weekend before), and I'm worried that the other programs may not have received my step 2 cs info in time. I never heard from any other program that anything was missing, but of course, this was my responsibility to ensure. I even called and emailed several programs to make sure everything was received in time before ROL deadline, but of the half that replied, all they could tell me was that they had my updated information at that time.

My questions are--is this mistake of mine enough to keep me off an ROL or bump me to the bottom? Would a program have looked at my ECFMG status report, seen that I'd passed step 2cs prior to the ROL deadline, and been satsifed with that? Or would it have been a dealbreaker since it wasn't on my USMLE transcript? And would a program have reached out to me if something important was missing, or do they simply not have the time for that? I apologize again for the long winded and somewhat neurotic post, I'm just really hoping that all of my hard work has not been jeopardized by a very stupid mistake on my part. Thank you!

Those questions aren't really possible to answer, but I think the greatest likelihood is that programs looked at your status report or contacted you if CS was critical to their ranking. Put this is in the category of things to let go of since you can't change what happened, and try to enjoy the next few weeks. I hope you get good news on Match Day!

Those questions aren't really possible to answer, but I think the greatest likelihood is that programs looked at your status report or contacted you if CS was critical to their ranking. Put this is in the category of things to let go of since you can't change what happened, and try to enjoy the next few weeks. I hope you get good news on Match Day!

Thanks so much for your kind response, mcl, I really appreciate everything you guys do, and I'll try my best to take your advice :). If I may ask one more question, just because we can't see things from your end--is it safe to assume that most programs would have seen my ECFMG status report prior to ranking, with the date that I passed CS? In other words, is it something that is visible and routinely checked before ranking IMGs like myself? Thanks and best wishes!

Thank you for starting this great thread. I'm a non-US IMG with an average resume, ready to apply for this year. I've been looking around for observerships/volunteering/ any chance to familiarize myself with potential programs, but have gotten no where. There are several medical centres near my place in NY and I've tried getting in touch with the PCs to ask for any oppurtunites, but I understand how busy PCs are and its not possible to reply to non priority mails. The only thing I haven't tried is walking up to a medical centre and meeting the PC/PD without an appointment. Is there anything I can do while just waiting around in the country?