Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am seeking for an advice for next match cycle.

With CK score pending, I applied for over 350+ programs last September (IM/FM combined), just find out I failed CK. I retook and passed in 01/2019. I received only one invitation, probably because my CK score wasn’t available throughout the interview season. Most programs probably have filtered out my applications. Didn’t match and is planning for next year. This is my credentials:

US-IMG, Caribbean Med school, 2 years USCE with 4LoRs
Step1: 225 (1st attempt)
Step 2 CK: 224 (2nd attempt)
Step 2 CS: Pass (1st attempt)
1 publication (based on stuff I did before medical school, published during MS1 though)

Options I am looking at:
· Option #1: Doing extended clinical rotations (6 months IM, starting in June)->school sponsors/covers tuition only upon postponing graduation until January 2019, which means I can’t take Step 3 before next cycle
Vs.

· Option #2: Graduate in May and take Step 3 + Observership/Externship
Vs.
· Option #3: Graduate in May and take Step 3 + Research

Having a red flag on my CK score (fail, mediocre score on 2nd attempt), how important is to take Step3? I thought the best way to improve my application is doing well on step 3 but at the same time, I have heard many residency programs don’t weigh much on Step 3 when sending out interview invitation. I was advised against it by school faculty who also said that Step3 isn't gonna do much since I'm US-IMG. He also said that having continuous clinical experience is a far more important factor in my situation.

Before I make my decision, I wanted to hear a second opinion from people who had the similar experience or from anyone who has any ideas/opinion.

Members don't see this ad.

When do programs usually send offer letters to matched applicants? I want to start the paperwork process asap but heard nothing from my program.

When do programs usually send offer letters to matched applicants? I want to start the paperwork process asap but heard nothing from my program.

It takes a little while to get all the paperwork together and get signatures on our end. There's no harm in contacting your PC, expressing how happy you are that you matched with the program, and ask about their timeline for sending contract, training license application, medical clearance forms, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for being generous with your time.

I've question about passing Step 3. I don't feel prepared but the program is pressuring me to take the exam. What should I do? Tell the PD that I may fail the exam or actually fail the exam and then take at a later date? Does it have other consequences on my life after residency on my employment prospects?

Is this information public and will it haunt me in applying for fellowship?

Thank you for being generous with your time.

I've question about passing Step 3. I don't feel prepared but the program is pressuring me to take the exam. What should I do? Tell the PD that I may fail the exam or actually fail the exam and then take at a later date? Does it have other consequences on my life after residency on my employment prospects?

Is this information public and will it haunt me in applying for fellowship?
It's pretty standard for programs to require residents to take the exam by the end of intern year. It's not at all like step 1 or 2 where you probably did nothing but study for weeks on end. Most people pass, so you probably will too.

It isn't public information, but if you apply for fellowship they will get your step 3 score as part of your USMLE transcript. Whether or not they care about your step 3 score depends on your specialty and who you ask. It doesn't affect employment prospects as long as you pass.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply, much appreciated! Is there any harm in passing it late vs. early during residency from program's perspective? I take it that it varies from program to program so it's not uniform requirement that it should be completed within intern year or PGY-2.

Yeah, I passed both steps on first attempt so concerned about step 3 since haven't had much time due to residency schedule as well as personal family obligations..was weighing the pros and cons of whether to convince the program if I don't pass the mock exam then no point in winging it.

I guess I'm trying to find out what type of retaliation can I expect from PD or program for prolonging taking the exam until I'm ready..

It's pretty standard for programs to require residents to take the exam by the end of intern year. It's not at all like step 1 or 2 where you probably did nothing but study for weeks on end. Most people pass, so you probably will too.

It isn't public information, but if you apply for fellowship they will get your step 3 score as part of your USMLE transcript. Whether or not they care about your step 3 score depends on your specialty and who you ask. It doesn't affect employment prospects as long as you pass.

Agreed that it's standard for programs to expect interns to take/pass Step 3. My institution makes us submit a justification if we have any interns who delay the exam until PGY2. If a resident hasn't passed by the end of PGY2, the institution won't fire the resident, but they won't advance their pay to a PGY3 level. However, I can think of two down sides to taking Step 3 and not passing: it's expensive, and your program's Clinical Competency Committee might score you lower on some medical knowledge Milestones if you have a failure.

Maybe talk to your PD or APD about what's keeping you from feeling ready to take the exam and develop some strategies for overcoming those barriers so you can determine a mutually-agreed upon time frame for taking the exam.

Programs/Institutions will have different policies. At my site, if you don't pass in your first year, your contract ends. I get no say in the matter. So we encourage people to take it earlier, because in case they fail, they then have enough time to take it again.

We also tend to want people to get it out of the way, so that they can focus on IM studying and ITE performance.

Programs/Institutions will have different policies. At my site, if you don't pass in your first year, your contract ends. I get no say in the matter. So we encourage people to take it earlier, because in case they fail, they then have enough time to take it again.

We also tend to want people to get it out of the way, so that they can focus on IM studying and ITE performance.

Thank you for replying!

wow! that's scary. I don't know what my program's policy is. If I failed the assessment exam for step 3, would this be a valid reason to go to PD and rethink the strategy ..like delay the exam and take it with more preparation?

Thank you for replying!

wow! that's scary. I don't know what my program's policy is. If I failed the assessment exam for step 3, would this be a valid reason to go to PD and rethink the strategy ..like delay the exam and take it with more preparation?
As aPD said, different institutions have different policies.

Unless you have some other extenuating circumstances, "not having much time to prepare during intern year" is a problem everyone has. Personally I would buckle down and study between now and whenever your test date is and hope for the best--again, you'll probably do fine, and you can then move on to studying for your specialty boards, which by the way you should definitely be studying for throughout all years of your residency. If you DO have some extenuating circumstance, like a serious illness or other family circumstance, then you should talk with your PD and not random people on the internet who have no idea what your program's policy is and whether he/she even has any latitude to grant you some leniency.

Thank you for replying!

Every program has a policy manual that outlines these institutional and departmental policies. Ask your PC about it--it really has a wealth of information that can keep you out of trouble. :)

Every program has a policy manual that outlines these institutional and departmental policies. Ask your PC about it--it really has a wealth of information that can keep you out of trouble. :)
Thank you
As aPD said, different institutions have different policies.

Unless you have some other extenuating circumstances, "not having much time to prepare during intern year" is a problem everyone has. Personally I would buckle down and study between now and whenever your test date is and hope for the best--again, you'll probably do fine, and you can then move on to studying for your specialty boards, which by the way you should definitely be studying for throughout all years of your residency. If you DO have some extenuating circumstance, like a serious illness or other family circumstance, then you should talk with your PD and not random people on the internet who have no idea what your program's policy is and whether he/she even has any latitude to grant you some leniency.
Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated! I'm set to take the exam and PD knows it too. The question I'm wrestling with is if God forbid, I fail the exam, is the termination automatic without any recourse? As luck would have it, my program does have this rule/policy but they haven't made it public to us and it became known only recently.

Ok so I found out that there's a policy that requires passing step 3 before the end of PGY2. As you mentioned that as a PD you get no say in this. How does this work in real life? Resident shares the test results, failed the test, is told leave the residency effective immediately? If the resident is taking another date to take the test and it falls say after the end of PGY2 by merely a week or something, is that usually allowed? I know each program and institution is different but trying to get a sense of the matter here. Thank you as always for your time and valuable feedback!

Thank you

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated! I'm set to take the exam and PD knows it too. The question I'm wrestling with is if God forbid, I fail the exam, is the termination automatic without any recourse? As luck would have it, my program does have this rule/policy but they haven't made it public to us and it became known only recently.

Ok so I found out that there's a policy that requires passing step 3 before the end of PGY2. As you mentioned that as a PD you get no say in this. How does this work in real life? Resident shares the test results, failed the test, is told leave the residency effective immediately? If the resident is taking another date to take the test and it falls say after the end of PGY2 by merely a week or something, is that usually allowed? I know each program and institution is different but trying to get a sense of the matter here. Thank you as always for your time and valuable feedback!

Again--totally program, department, and institution dependent; I know it's easier to ask anonymous people who don't know you, but we would just be guessing here and you shouldn't make decisions based on our guesses. You should ask your PC for your program's policy manual, or ask the PC directly.

Thank you for your reply! You point is valid and this is program dependent. At this point, I have no choice but to go for the exam before end of PGY2. In my last meeting with PD, she simply mentioned that this is part of the policy but didn't elaborate whether there would be room to maneuver. Call it naïveté, I didn't think that this would be this black and white, fail the exam and you are out you no ifs and buts.. Not sure what the ultimate outcome would be if I failed the exam.

Thank you for your reply! You point is valid and this is program dependent. At this point, I have no choice but to go for the exam before end of PGY2. In my last meeting with PD, she simply mentioned that this is part of the policy but didn't elaborate whether there would be room to maneuver. Call it naïveté, I didn't think that this would be this black and white, fail the exam and you are out you no ifs and buts.. Not sure what the ultimate outcome would be if I failed the exam.

There’s no way for us to guess. It might be if you don’t pass you’re out, or they might delay promotion pending a pass.

Clearly it would be detrimental for you to fail, so your focus should be on passing the test. Are you worried about something about the exam in particular?

I'm not trying to be rude... but you seem to be under the mistaken impression that you are being singled out in being "made" to take this test by a certain point in training. Med schools don't let students progress to clinical rotations if they don't pass step 1, and residencies rescind matches if new interns fail step 2. This is no different, it's just people worry less about it because so few people fail--the USMLEs are a Big Deal. End of PGY2 is longer than some programs give residents to take the test, so you have had ample time to prepare.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not trying to be rude... but you seem to be under the mistaken impression that you are being singled out in being "made" to take this test by a certain point in training. Med schools don't let students progress to clinical rotations if they don't pass step 1, and residencies rescind matches if new interns fail step 2. This is no different, it's just people worry less about it because so few people fail--the USMLEs are a Big Deal. End of PGY2 is longer than some programs give residents to take the test, so you have had ample time to prepare.
Not at all! You are not being rude. I'm not being singled out and have no objection that I've to take the exam within certain time. I'm an IMG so steps exam timing is little different meaning I didn't take step 3 it in my school. I'm preparing for step 3 in my residency and doing my best and certainly hoping to pass the exam.

EDIT: Changed Step 2 to Step 3..was typo!

Last edited:
I'm doing my best to prepare and the assessment exams are my worry. I'm borderline passing or failing the assessment exams. I would feel much more comfortable if I'm passing the assessment exams by big margin..so that's the particular aspect that I'm worried about..
There’s no way for us to guess. It might be if you don’t pass you’re out, or they might delay promotion pending a pass.

Clearly it would be detrimental for you to fail, so your focus should be on passing the test. Are you worried about something about the exam in particular?

Not at all! You are not being rude. I'm not being singled out and have no objection that I've to take the exam within certain time. I'm an IMG so steps exam timing is little different meaning I didn't take step 3 it in my school. I'm preparing for step 2 in my residency and doing my best and certainly hoping to pass the exam.
Wait...what?!?! You haven't taken Step 2 yet?

Assuming that's a typo and you meant Step 3, virtually nobody takes it in med school (and by virtually, I mean absolutely...since you need to be a med school graduate to take the exam).

Wait...what?!?! You haven't taken Step 2 yet?

Assuming that's a typo and you meant Step 3, virtually nobody takes it in med school (and by virtually, I mean absolutely...since you need to be a med school graduate to take the exam).
Corrected the typo..I'm talking about step 3..have taken step 2 CK and CS before the residency started..

I can't tell you how it works in "real life", but I can tell you how it works in my program. Contracts for the next PGY year tend to go out in March-April. If you don't have a passing S3 score by that time in your PGY-2, you don't get a new contract. Once you pass, you get a contract. If June 30 comes and you don't have a passing score, you're unemployed. At that point, it's my choice as to whether I'm going to save a spot for you waiting for you to pass S3, hire someone else, or not fill the spot.

Deadlines mean something.

Got it. Thank you for sharing your insights. If I may, can a PD keep a slot unfilled for PGY-3 if a current resident didn't pass the exam when the contract renewals were sent out? Asking to learn if this is at PD's discretion and is a possibility in real life?
I can't tell you how it works in "real life", but I can tell you how it works in my program. Contracts for the next PGY year tend to go out in March-April. If you don't have a passing S3 score by that time in your PGY-2, you don't get a new contract. Once you pass, you get a contract. If June 30 comes and you don't have a passing score, you're unemployed. At that point, it's my choice as to whether I'm going to save a spot for you waiting for you to pass S3, hire someone else, or not fill the spot.

Deadlines mean something.

Got it. Thank you for sharing your insights. If I may, can a PD keep a slot unfilled for PGY-3 if a current resident didn't pass the exam when the contract renewals were sent out? Asking to learn if this is at PD's discretion and is a possibility in real life?
PD's can do whatever they like with the spots they have.

FWIW, it is extraordinarily rare for an IM (or other 3 year) program to fill an empty PGY3 spot with an outside PGY3. So, if they get rid of you (which won't be an issue if you just pass the damn test) in your PGY3 year, they probably won't fill it.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I want to pass the damn exam and not be in any predicament come contract renewal :) Hopefully I won't need to hunt for a PGY-3 spot outside of the current program as I have no idea how that would even work. Does one go through the regular application cycle?

PD's can do whatever they like with the spots they have.

FWIW, it is extraordinarily rare for an IM (or other 3 year) program to fill an empty PGY3 spot with an outside PGY3. So, if they get rid of you (which won't be an issue if you just pass the damn test) in your PGY3 year, they probably won't fill it.

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I want to pass the damn exam and not be in any predicament come contract renewal :) Hopefully I won't need to hunt for a PGY-3 spot outside of the current program as I have no idea how that would even work. Does one go through the regular application cycle?
Honestly, just stop worrying about all of the ifs, ands, and buts surrounding a Step 3 failure. Suffice to say, it's very bad--you realistically wind up probably being unemployed until you pass the test, and then either come back if your program takes you back, or you have to search for an open PGY-3 spot at another program that will have you. These spots are generally not well-advertised. If you go through ERAS, you would be starting all the way back at PGY-1, and I have no idea how a new program would get funding to pay your salary for a whole new residency.

If you're borderline on the current step 3 assessments, then stop wasting time posting on here about failing and just actually study! If you passed steps 1 and 2, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to pass step 3 with a few weeks of hardcore studying at night. Get Qbank, do a bunch of questions, and pass.

Last edited:
Question. A lot of my IMG friends are asking if observerships count as USCE. Therefore, I'll ask here. Do they count as USCE?

Question. A lot of my IMG friends are asking if observerships count as USCE. Therefore, I'll ask here. Do they count as USCE?
The answer will probably vary by program. At my institution, the answer is generally no--it means you've seen the US system, which only puts you ahead of applicants who have absolutely no context for working in US healthcare. The best bet for finding programs that might consider observership = USCE would be to look for programs that typically match with FMGs. Most programs list their residents on their web pages now, and many include where that resident went to medical school.

Last edited:
Dear Program Coordinator,

I have a question pertaining to past drug use and honest disclosure on my residency onboarding paperwork.

I was asked whether I have used illegal drugs and when..

I used cannabis on Match Day to celebrate, but have not smoked regularly for months (and even then, only in jurisdictions where it is legal) and have stopped completely since that day, and I indicated as such on the paperwork (checking off "no" for illegal drugs, but did write that I consumed cannabis on Match Day). Just in case I got hair tested or something instead of the regular urine test that I WILL be clean for, and also in the interest of being honest and not being caught in a lie under any circumstances. I also do not foresee any problems with cannabis or other drugs in my future, so decided to disclose for honesty's sake.

Obviously have been stressing about this for a few days since submitting that, and it's too late to go back and change it now, but I don't know. I had the best of intentions, but I also know that some of the most terrible things were done with the best of intentions. I hope that potentially ending my career isn't one of those..

This might have been the stupidest thing I have done in my life.. my question is, do you think that this pre-physical disclosure would affect my employment?

I have a question pertaining to past drug use and honest disclosure on my residency onboarding paperwork.

I used cannabis on Match Day to celebrate, but have not smoked regularly for months (and even then, only in jurisdictions where it is legal) and have stopped completely since that day, and I indicated as such on the paperwork (checking off "no" for illegal drugs, but did write that I consumed cannabis on Match Day). Just in case I got hair tested or something instead of the regular urine test that I WILL be clean for, and also in the interest of being honest and not being caught in a lie under any circumstances. I also do not foresee any problems with cannabis or other drugs in my future, so decided to disclose for honesty's sake.

Obviously have been stressing about this for a few days since submitting that, and it's too late to go back and change it now, but I don't know. I had the best of intentions, but I also know that some of the most terrible things were done with the best of intentions. I hope that potentially ending my career isn't one of those..

This might have been the stupidest thing I have done in my life.. my question is, do you think that this pre-physical disclosure would affect my employment?

My guess is that you are probably OK, maybe, I guess--programs tend to reward honesty. I doubt this is the type of question that can be answered in a forum as there are a number of program-specific variables.

My guess is that you are probably OK, maybe, I guess--programs tend to reward honesty. I doubt this is the type of question that can be answered in a forum as there are a number of program-specific variables.

I understand - this was on the occupational health paperwork, if that makes a difference.

Thank you for taking the time out to respond to my query. I plan on being totally upfront like I have been, because I believe in accountability, and also because I don't want to start this next phase of my life (which I have been working toward for the past 10 years) under the shadow of a lie.

If anybody else has input as to how things go at their program in situations like this, which I believe are probably not too common, I would really appreciate it so as to not be blindsided

I understand - this was on the occupational health paperwork, if that makes a difference.

Thank you for taking the time out to respond to my query. I plan on being totally upfront like I have been, because I believe in accountability, and also because I don't want to start this next phase of my life (which I have been working toward for the past 10 years) under the shadow of a lie.

If anybody else has input as to how things go at their program in situations like this, which I believe are probably not too common, I would really appreciate it so as to not be blindsided

In my experience, the occupational health screen paperwork does not go to the PD at all.

I want to ask this ahead of starting the residency. What are the biggest mistakes that new interns make that would let's say either (a) get themselves placed on probation or (b) get them fired?

The other question is what mistakes could an intern make that would get themselves disliked at the problem? I want to ask this to know what I need avoid doing when I am at my residency program.

I want to ask this ahead of starting the residency. What are the biggest mistakes that new interns make that would let's say either (a) get themselves placed on probation or (b) get them fired?

The other question is what mistakes could an intern make that would get themselves disliked at the problem? I want to ask this to know what I need avoid doing when I am at my residency program.
I really think it's pretty self explanatory, but people do it all the time so it probably does bear saying--don't lie. It's SO TEMPTING when you're busy rounding and your attending asks you about a lab value or physical exam finding that you didn't check to say "oh, it was fine" or say that a piece of the ROS was negative when you didn't ask. People do that all the time to avoid looking dumb, but it's better to look dumb for the 20 seconds it takes to answer the question than lie and have it actually matter. Best case scenario, your attending figures out you lied and is annoyed and doesn't trust you, worst case scenario the patient actually gets harmed and your program has to discipline you for it. Lying and having a patient suffer an adverse event is, I think by far, the easiest way to actually get put on probation or fired.

In terms of being liked/disliked, I would recommend just keeping your head down and do the work they give you. It's so tempting to pitch a fit when some scheduling thing comes up that seems to screw you over, but in general it's probably going to balance out over the course of your residency across everyone in your class. In the big scheme of things an extra call here or an extra weekend there just doesn't matter.

I really think it's pretty self explanatory, but people do it all the time so it probably does bear saying--don't lie. It's SO TEMPTING when you're busy rounding and your attending asks you about a lab value or physical exam finding that you didn't check to say "oh, it was fine" or say that a piece of the ROS was negative when you didn't ask. People do that all the time to avoid looking dumb, but it's better to look dumb for the 20 seconds it takes to answer the question than lie and have it actually matter. Best case scenario, your attending figures out you lied and is annoyed and doesn't trust you, worst case scenario the patient actually gets harmed and your program has to discipline you for it. Lying and having a patient suffer an adverse event is, I think by far, the easiest way to actually get put on probation or fired.

In terms of being liked/disliked, I would recommend just keeping your head down and do the work they give you. It's so tempting to pitch a fit when some scheduling thing comes up that seems to screw you over, but in general it's probably going to balance out over the course of your residency across everyone in your class. In the big scheme of things an extra call here or an extra weekend there just doesn't matter.

So if you made a mistake, admit it. Don't BS your way out.

And life sucks for everyone. Don't complain and make life suck even worse for everyone.

Having been through more probations than I care to admit to... new interns typically don't do things that place them on probation or get them fired. Firing someone is a HUGE hassle for the program, and it's not something likely to happen to an intern unless there was an egregious error (i.e. you did something to intentionally harm the patient), or something that there is a no tolerance policy for at your institution (drugs, drinking at work, sexual harrassment, etc). So, be a normal, decent human, and you will likely be fine.

Now, going through residency, the most common reasons people are put on probation is 1) medical knowledge--which is fixed by studying, and 2) professionalism, which is remarkably hard to fix. Things that can land you in hot water from a professionalism standpoint are: showing up late to work, leaving the hospital during assigned duty hours without notifying anyone, recurrent interpersonal issues with other staff and residents, becoming friends with patients, etc.

what was the stupidest thing... using an illicit drug that could risk all the work of the last 4 years or telling them...

lying is, by far, the biggest sin in medicine...you get caught out on a lie and it will have huge ramifications...better to tell the truth and deal with the consequences.

they may scrutinize you more in the first year to make sure that your drug use isn't having any adverse effects on your performance.

what was the stupidest thing... using an illicit drug that could risk all the work of the last 4 years or telling them...

lying is, by far, the biggest sin in medicine...you get caught out on a lie and it will have huge ramifications...better to tell the truth and deal with the consequences.

they may scrutinize you more in the first year to make sure that your drug use isn't having any adverse effects on your performance.

Thank you for your response. I hardly think that I am the first person to have indulged in this, but of course that does not change medicine's view on it.

I do take comfort in both yours and mcl's responses, in that it is always better to be honest and deal with the consequences. Hopefully those consequences don't include burning at the stake for what I am sure many would consider a minor infraction, especially considering my otherwise pristine history (when it comes to both legal substances like alcohol and illegal ones like opiates, none of which I have ever indulged in, even when medically indicated).

I have no problem with extra scrutiny or even extra drug tests - when I am taking care of patients that is the only thing I focus on to the detriment of even my personal relationships, so a little bit of grass won't bring me down.

Dear PC/PD,

I have a question regarding communication with programs before September. I am working on the list of programs I will apply. I have only done observerships (3months) and some programs say "we prefer 1 year USCE". Is is worth to reach out these programs expressing my interest and asking if I would qualify for an interview, considering some other aspects of my application (scores, research, publications) or my chances are very low that I should not even apply? If yes - I should contact- would it be better to address the PC/PD only or both?
Thank you very much in advance!

Sorry if someone else has asked the same question in the past, but this thread became really long.:joyful:

Dear PC/PD,

I have a question regarding communication with programs before September. I am working on the list of programs I will apply. I have only done observerships (3months) and some programs say "we prefer 1 year USCE". Is is worth to reach out these programs expressing my interest and asking if I would qualify for an interview, considering some other aspects of my application (scores, research, publications) or my chances are very low that I should not even apply? If yes - I should contact- would it be better to address the PC/PD only or both?

If you choose to contact programs, just target a few where you seem to fit all of the published qualifications except for USCE to gauge responses. You should be planning of applying broadly if you want to maximize your chances.

I don't think that programs should tell applicants whether or not to apply. At this stage of the game, I respond to inquiries by saying that I don't know what the strength of this year's applicant pool will be so it's impossible for me to offer advice. I do let them know that we generally only interview about 20% of our applicants, and that visa issues factor into the Selection Committee's decision regarding interview invitations. That's about as far as I'll go in terms of pre-Sept guidance.

Dear PC/PD,

I agree with mcl. Though it's conceivable they could interview you with less experience, the guidelines are on the website for a reason.

I would ask a few of them "I notice on your website you prefer at least 1 year of USCE. In recent years, have you only interviewed applicants who meet at least 1 year of USCE, or have applicants with significant other strengths in their application been offered interviews with less?" You're not going to get a personalized response where someone to weighs your whole application against your minimal amounts of USCE in pre-September communication.

Greetings!
First, this thread is approved by an administrator for the forums.

I am a program coordinator at a major medical center and have been lurking here for a while. I have noticed many questions about the program side of ERAS, interview questions, process questions, and what to wear to an interview. Since I have been a coordinator for over five years, and I love what I do, I have started this thread to answer any questions you may have about the whole interview process or anything else.

I will not respond to questions about institutions or specific programs (i.e. MGH IM residency).

So, fire away, let me know how I can help you.

Freddie

My residency program is looking for a program coordinator. Is there a website or listing site you can recommend that people in that field would look?

My residency program is looking for a program coordinator. Is there a website or listing site you can recommend that people in that field would look?

I don't know of any centralized employment listings for program coordinators. I became a residency coordinator in my current position after spending several years as a fellowship coordinator in a different specialty at the same institution--my experience is that this is a pretty typical path.

I would ask a few of them "I notice on your website you prefer at least 1 year of USCE. In recent years, have you only interviewed applicants who meet at least 1 year of USCE, or have applicants with significant other strengths in their application been offered interviews with less?" You're not going to get a personalized response where someone to weighs your whole application against your minimal amounts of USCE in pre-September communication.

Who is the best person to ask this kind of questions? Can we contact directly PD? Or PC?

Would working as an EMT be considered US clinical experience?

Who is the best person to ask this kind of questions? Can we contact directly PD? Or PC?
I would in general start with the PC. They can always forward the message to the PD if necessary, but this seems like something the PC should be able to answer fairly easily if they are willing to.