Ask the Program Coordinator!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
An IMG without a CS pass at this point, particularly with a CS failure on his record may as well just skip the year and use the next 11 months to bolster their application somehow. Most programs require 1/CK/CS to interview an IMG and he won't have that in any reasonable time to be considered.

Probably should say "I'm aware of the failure on CS. I'm scheduled to re-take on X date, and am doing Y to pass this time. I anticipate I will have a passing score by the time of rank list."

That said, you need to get your app in immediately if you intend on applying this year. And stellar step 1 and 2 scores notwithstanding, the CS failure is going to be a problem for some programs.

Thanks for your answers. Maybe my question was not phrased properly. I already passed my CS after my second attempt. I know it's already a huge dent on my app. I just don't know if to openly state the failure in my personal statement OR to not discuss it until any potential interviews.

Thanks for your answers. Maybe my question was not phrased properly. I already passed my CS after my second attempt. I know it's already a huge dent on my app. I just don't know if to openly state the failure in my personal statement OR to not discuss it until any potential interviews.
Got it. Wouldn't mention it in your personal statement. But again, you really need to apply ASAP as interviews are already going out.

Reactions: 1 users
Dear PCs/PDs,
has it ever happened to you that you had sent out interview invitation to a candidate by mistake?

Well, I received an invite from a program that is way out of my reach, considering my stats and being an IMG. Per "current resident" section on their website, they don't have a resident with a background even remotely similar to mine. So I'm a little bit suspicious..

Last year, I answered this exact question, on this exact thread, with "Don't be silly. They invited you, they are interested. We don't make mistakes like that".

Then this happened: Ask the Program Coordinator!

You might want to check.

Wow. Thank you @aProgDirector for pointing this out to me.

I got an invitation with available dates (not a confirmation for a single date like this poster). But regardless, there is always a possibility for human error. Not sure how to proceed.

Wow. Thank you @aProgDirector for pointing this out to me.

I got an invitation with available dates (not a confirmation for a single date like this poster). But regardless, there is always a possibility for human error. Not sure how to proceed.
schedule the interview...if they schedule you then GO!

its was a mistake, they will let you know.

you never know what in your application may strike someone...I had a couple of interviews that were at places that I too thought were out of my reach and they were real invitations!

Respond to the invite, pick a date. Tell them you're interested. Don't buy tickets until you get some sort of confirmation. It's hard to hint "hey, I'm worried you picked the wrong person", so be certain in your email to include your full name and AAMC #. Maybe ask a question of the coordinator of some sort, especially something that would make them look at your application.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you very much for your advice. I've already scheduled the interview (I responded literally within minutes after receiving the invite), but I haven't made any travel plans yet.

Yes, at first I also thought they must have found something on my application to be especially interesting, but then the doubt started kicking in. This is a great advice on contacting the coordinator in a subtle way. Something I will certainly consider doing.

Last edited:
How important are step scores after interviews if you received an invite to a program where you did not meet the cutoff?

How important are step scores after interviews if you received an invite to a program where you did not meet the cutoff?
Agree with gutonc. Clearly something about your app got the program interested enough to invite you, but no way to know if they're seriously interested in you or if you were one of the last few people they invited for an interview.

In any case, there's nothing to be done so worrying about it won't help. All will be revealed in March.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with gutonc. Clearly something about your app got the program interested enough to invite you, but no way to know if they're seriously interested in you or if you were one of the last few people they invited for an interview.

In any case, there's nothing to be done so worrying about it won't help. All will be revealed in March.

Thanks a ton! Its still confusing to me why a program would spend so much money and time and resources on an applicant when they have no intention of ranking them?

Thanks a ton! Its still confusing to me why a program would spend so much money and time and resources on an applicant when they have no intention of ranking them?
There's nothing to be confused about. If you got an invitation, they are currently considering ranking you. Doesn't mean you can't nuke that on interview day, But if they had no intention of ranking you at all, that invite would have gone to someone else.

There's nothing to be confused about. If you got an invitation, they are currently considering ranking you. Doesn't mean you can't nuke that on interview day, But if they had no intention of ranking you at all, that invite would have gone to someone else.

Good to hear! Thanks gutonc and GoSpursGo!

It's historical now, but this is not true, at least in the past. I've told this story many times on SDN. Back in my training days, I did prelim IM at Elmhurst. Mt. Sinai sponsors the GME there. I got to know many/most of the EM residents, and all the faculty at Elmhurst, and did my elective month at Mt. Sinai. All those years ago, Scott Weingart, as an EM-2/PGY-3, working in the Elmhurst ICU, said, "I could work with you every day". My vacation month was November. I went to Tahiti, and got my interview invitation from Mt. Sinai that month.

I went on that interview in January. It was more cursory, because, as one of the interviewers said, "We know you already" (and it wasn't ominous). When Match Day came, it also went, with me unmatched. Coincidentally, though - Mt. Sinai also didn't fill. Easy math shows that I was unranked. I scrambled into EM at the place I attended, and, later in the prelim year, one of the attendings told me that the Department Chair (who has been dead now for over 10 years) directed that NO FMGs would be ranked, with the exception of students from Sackler in Israel. I don't know if other Israeli med schools, like Technion, were also included. However, what was clear was that I was not.

So, they burned an interview slot on me, well knowing it was going nowhere. But, as I say, this is now historical. I'm BC in EM, and Mt. Sinai always gets my attention, and think back wistfully to living in Queens, but just that - don't want to live there again. "People from NY can't wait to come back. People not from NY can't wait to leave."

I went on that interview in January. It was more cursory, because, as one of the interviewers said, "We know you already" (and it wasn't ominous). When Match Day came, it also went, with me unmatched. Coincidentally, though - Mt. Sinai also didn't fill. Easy math shows that I was unranked.

Quite possibly the cruelest, most unethical thing a program can do. I'd like to believe the posters above that if they invited you, there's something they like about you and they'll consider ranking you unless you're not a good fit or something went wrong at the interview. It's expensive for everyone, but the programs are still making money; we're spending money we don't have with six-figure negative net-worth.

It's historical now, but this is not true, at least in the past. I've told this story many times on SDN. Back in my training days, I did prelim IM at Elmhurst. Mt. Sinai sponsors the GME there. I got to know many/most of the EM residents, and all the faculty at Elmhurst, and did my elective month at Mt. Sinai. All those years ago, Scott Weingart, as an EM-2/PGY-3, working in the Elmhurst ICU, said, "I could work with you every day". My vacation month was November. I went to Tahiti, and got my interview invitation from Mt. Sinai that month.

I went on that interview in January. It was more cursory, because, as one of the interviewers said, "We know you already" (and it wasn't ominous). When Match Day came, it also went, with me unmatched. Coincidentally, though - Mt. Sinai also didn't fill. Easy math shows that I was unranked. I scrambled into EM at the place I attended, and, later in the prelim year, one of the attendings told me that the Department Chair (who has been dead now for over 10 years) directed that NO FMGs would be ranked, with the exception of students from Sackler in Israel. I don't know if other Israeli med schools, like Technion, were also included. However, what was clear was that I was not.

So, they burned an interview slot on me, well knowing it was going nowhere. But, as I say, this is now historical. I'm BC in EM, and Mt. Sinai always gets my attention, and think back wistfully to living in Queens, but just that - don't want to live there again. "People from NY can't wait to come back. People not from NY can't wait to leave."
I guess the caveat to the adage that "if you got an invite, they're considering you" is that "if you did a rotation/prelim/etc at a place, it's possible they could give you a 'courtesy interview' even if you don't meet their requirements." It seems like a massive waste of time for everyone involved, though.

Still, there's no way to know until match day.

Reactions: 2 users

In 2015, I interviewed at the Endocrine program at my medical school after doing residency elsewhere. Had a few concerns of program quality with the rotation sites - but my then-fiancee still had a year left in her MD/PhD at the same school, so I ranked it quite highly out of a desire to rejoin her and the fact that my parents still owned a condo in the town (where my wife was living at the time for some nominal couple hundred bucks a month). Interview was OK - was a little upset the department chair actually asked me to present a case to him, then pimped me on it, but I think my answers were reasonable.

I fell below that program in the match. They only matched one of two slots. So they didn't rank me at all. Is it possible that my interaction with the department chair left me unranked? It's the only solution I could think of. The only other answer is that the interview was a courtesy as an alum of the medical school and they had no intention of ranking me.

In 2015, I interviewed at the Endocrine program at my medical school after doing residency elsewhere. Had a few concerns of program quality with the rotation sites - but my then-fiancee still had a year left in her MD/PhD at the same school, so I ranked it quite highly out of a desire to rejoin her and the fact that my parents still owned a condo in the town (where my wife was living at the time for some nominal couple hundred bucks a month). Interview was OK - was a little upset the department chair actually asked me to present a case to him, then pimped me on it, but I think my answers were reasonable.

I fell below that program in the match. They only matched one of two slots. So they didn't rank me at all. Is it possible that my interaction with the department chair left me unranked? It's the only solution I could think of. The only other answer is that the interview was a courtesy as an alum of the medical school and they had no intention of ranking me.
Dude - that is black letter bull****. Beggars can't be choosers, if they didn't even fill, and, based on your clinical acumen that is evident even here on line, you are not weak.

Leave them in the rear view mirror.

Howdy y'all...couples match question:

I'm Peds, my fiancee is ENT in the couples match, both strong candidates. I've gotten a good amount of interviews, but I know many ENT programs haven't sent any interview invites out yet. Should we be emailing programs with the "my fiancee is interviewing at the peds program, etc." email before the ENT program has sent out ANY invites? Not sure if that's premature or not.

Thanks for doing this! I was wondering when the best time to send thank you notes would be after interviewing at a program. Should I just send an email addressed to the program director and program coordinator?

Do you have any advice for attempting to get an interview offer at a program that has not sent me an interview invite yet but has not specifically mentioned they have put me on a waitlist?

Thanks for doing this! I was wondering when the best time to send thank you notes would be after interviewing at a program. Should I just send an email addressed to the program director and program coordinator?

Do you have any advice for attempting to get an interview offer at a program that has not sent me an interview invite yet but has not specifically mentioned they have put me on a waitlist?
If you send them, send them within a few weeks. I sent to the PD, PC, and individual interviewers - but the latter only if they gave me their email addresses.

First and foremost thank you guys for starting, and continuing this thread. I've read thru all of it (granted I skimmed a few pages here and there and may have forgotten some bits but the banter was golden) and had a question regarding having someone contact a program.

It seems it is best to have a mentor contact the program and have them take a look at your application. The program I am interested in is linked to the undergrad I attended. One of my letter writers for medical school (a while ago, I know) is a professor at the medical school which is linked to the residency program. Would it be worth contacting her to see if she has any pull? I have not contacted her for a few years during medical school but she was happy to write me a letter even 2 years after graduating from my undergrad. I know this has been answered in terms of mentor... but I suppose I'm a bit unsure what mentor means (I'd assume your attendings that you worked with).

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I've gotten a bit neurotic being a US-IMG with subpar scores (Step1 226, Step2 229, Step2CS 1st attempt). I've only gotten 6 interviews so I'm going to go all out and email the programs I have strong interests in.

First and foremost thank you guys for starting, and continuing this thread. I've read thru all of it (granted I skimmed a few pages here and there and may have forgotten some bits but the banter was golden) and had a question regarding having someone contact a program.

It seems it is best to have a mentor contact the program and have them take a look at your application. The program I am interested in is linked to the undergrad I attended. One of my letter writers for medical school (a while ago, I know) is a professor at the medical school which is linked to the residency program. Would it be worth contacting her to see if she has any pull? I have not contacted her for a few years during medical school but she was happy to write me a letter even 2 years after graduating from my undergrad. I know this has been answered in terms of mentor... but I suppose I'm a bit unsure what mentor means (I'd assume your attendings that you worked with).

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I've gotten a bit neurotic being a US-IMG with subpar scores (Step1 226, Step2 229, Step2CS 1st attempt). I've only gotten 6 interviews so I'm going to go all out and email the programs I have strong interests in.
Can’t hurt especially if she is willing to help.

Agree, in mid November you have nothing to lose at this point.

Honestly speaking how does one improve their CV given you already have done finished with USMLE steps which arent great. Since, I can not change my scores anymore I can not improve on it anymore. I am applying to FM since I am currently in FM in my home country. Given I only can do observerships given I am already a graduate. And to make it complicated I am a non-US IMG.

Honestly speaking how does one improve their CV given you already have done finished with USMLE steps which arent great. Since, I can not change my scores anymore I can not improve on it anymore. I am applying to FM since I am currently in FM in my home country. Given I only can do observerships given I am already a graduate. And to make it complicated I am a non-US IMG.
I wish I had something encouraging to say, but yes, it is extremely difficult to meaningfully improve your application as a non-US IMG once you graduate. If by "not great" you mean "average" in the 210-220ish range, then you may as well do some observerships, toss your hat in the ring and see what happens. If you mean you BARELY passed or have multiple attempts, then it's probably not realistic to try to match in the US at all--at a certain point you just have too many red flags that it becomes insurmountable.

If for some reason you are HEAVILY invested in training in the US, you can try to find a research job or other role at a university that has an FM residency that you could realistically get your foot in the door at (ie has average USMLE scores close to what you got). But 1) there are tons of IMGs trying to do this exact thing, and 2) whether the job actually will get you an "in" is totally a guessing game, and there are plenty of places that will be happy to hire you as an overqualified research or nonmedical person with no intention or ability to ever get you into the residency. So you can give that route a shot, but it's a total crapshoot.

Hello,

I would like to email a program that I did not apply to to see whether or not they consider me this late in the season. Is this allowed, or is it violating the communication code of conduct? Thanks!

Hello,

I would like to email a program that I did not apply to to see whether or not they consider me this late in the season. Is this allowed, or is it violating the communication code of conduct? Thanks!

There's no violation. It's a long shot, but you might get lucky--this is the time of the recruitment season when scheduled applicants start cancelling.

Hello,

Not a violation, but highly unlikely unless you're more competitive than all the other applicants on their waitlist.

There's no answer to your second question. Taking it now and doing well helps you. Taking it now and not doing well hurts you (although you could decline to release it, but someone is bound to ask and then you're stuck). Not taking it at all (or getting your score back after ROL is due) is neutral to negative. Pick your poison.

Why would anyone take step2CK after 9/15 in the hopes of "sending if scores are high" and "not releasing if didn't do as well" since it seems like many programs want step2 prior to rank (i.e. if you did poorly they're going to find out anyway)?

Thank you!

Why would anyone take step2CK after 9/15 in the hopes of "sending if scores are high" and "not releasing if didn't do as well" since it seems like many programs want step2 prior to rank (i.e. if you did poorly they're going to find out anyway)?

Thank you!
You could get an interview based on your step 1 score alone, and then if you do great on your interview they may be more willing to overlook a less-stellar step 2 score. If you have a damaging step 2 score up front then they might pass you over at the interview stage entirely.

Not saying it's a great idea, but that's the thought process.

Thank you!
Many but not all programs want Step 2 to rank for a US grad. It is universally required for a FMG/IMG, but there still exist fields where a minority of programs require it.

Folks reason that if they do very poorly on the test, they'll forego releasing it with the understanding that they might not be ranked at programs that require it - but at least it won't torpedo their chances at programs that don't require it. As more and more programs require it over time, this strategy becomes less viable.

Many but not all programs want Step 2 to rank for a US grad. It is universally required for a FMG/IMG, but there still exist fields where a minority of programs require it.

Folks reason that if they do very poorly on the test, they'll forego releasing it with the understanding that they might not be ranked at programs that require it - but at least it won't torpedo their chances at programs that don't require it. As more and more programs require it over time, this strategy becomes less viable.

its an absolute requirement for F/IMGs to submit a ROL...the NRMP will automatically pull the ROL of an F/IMG that does not have passed scores in I, CK, and CS.

Thank you so much for the info!

Hi,
If I change my name for personal reasons and go through the process, get the court order, what medical entities do I need to inform about this? Do I need to get a new ECFMG certificate? Haven't completed my residency yet, in PGY-3, thought is to get the name change done before end of the residency and before starting the job search.

How about updating the NPI info with the new name?

Does one need an updated diploma/paper certificate from medical school with the new name or the old one is good when presented with name change court order?

Of course, have never done this before so don't know all the things that I need to do as far as the med./career life post-residency is concerned.

Thanks you for your time!

Hey guys so I’m in an interesting situation. I just found out during my last interview that my quartile rank on the mspe was incorrect. Although it’s not that big of a deal since I’ve got all the interviews I wanted, my school will be uploading my modified MSPE pretty soon. My question is will residency programs reprint and view my modified mspe before submitting rank list? Or do they just use the mspe that was printed out in our files during the interview? I understand that this will differ from program to program but wanted to know if someone knew how post interview application review works.

Thanks!

Hey guys so I’m in an interesting situation. I just found out during my last interview that my quartile rank on the mspe was incorrect. Although it’s not that big of a deal since I’ve got all the interviews I wanted, my school will be uploading my modified MSPE pretty soon. My question is will residency programs reprint and view my modified mspe before submitting rank list? Or do they just use the mspe that was printed out in our files during the interview? I understand that this will differ from program to program but wanted to know if someone knew how post interview application review works.

Thanks!
Like you said, it's probably program-dependent. I would probably send an update email to the places you interviewed explaining this to make sure they receive the updated version.

We do not get any alerts that anything has been updated. We can run a report asking for updates in a certain time frame. I assume that your actual quartile is better than what was initially reported on your MSPE. In that case, either you should reach out to programs to alert them, or your school should do it for you.

If your new quartile is worse, then I probably wouldn't bring anyone's attention to the matter...

This seems like the appropriate thread to let my SDN invisible friends/colleagues know that I'm retiring at the end of this month. The new PC actually starts next week so we'll have some overlap time for training. I want to thank the SDN admins, moderators, and posters: you all gave me invaluable information and perspectives that made me better at my job, and I hope that I have helped a few people along the way as well. I didn't want to just disappear from the forums, but I recognize that as my time working in GME ends, my experience and advice will quickly become dated. I wish everyone the best moving forward!

Reactions: 10 users
I want to ask this from a PC:

So in my interview invitation, they asked me if I would like to be interviewed by a specific subspecialist of choice. I told her I would like to meet a vascular specialist because I am interested in it for future. She said she would match me up with one. Today when I received my final interview itinerary, i do not seer any vascular specialist in my interviewers. In fact, i applied for adult neuro, and there are 2 pediatric neuro ppl interviewing me. In this case, what should I do, stick to the schedule given me or reply to her reminding i wanted to speak to a vascular? This program is one of my top choices. Please help!

So in my interview invitation, they asked me if I would like to be interviewed by a specific subspecialist of choice. I told her I would like to meet a vascular specialist because I am interested in it for future. She said she would match me up with one. Today when I received my final interview itinerary, i do not seer any vascular specialist in my interviewers. In fact, i applied for adult neuro, and there are 2 pediatric neuro ppl interviewing me. In this case, what should I do, stick to the schedule given me or reply to her reminding i wanted to speak to a vascular? This program is one of my top choices. Please help!
Perhaps the vascular specialists are busy.

I would just interview with whoever I was assigned and leave it at that. At most, you could inquire whether you could meet the vascular subspecialists that day - but even that might be a bit much.

Please don't ask the same question over and over in various threads. You have a whole thread on your question in this forum. And, perhaps unsurprisingly, you've already gotten the same answer.

Reactions: 3 users
Please don't ask the same question over and over in various threads. You have a whole thread on your question in this forum. And, perhaps unsurprisingly, you've already gotten the same answer.
But you are so unreasonable! You know, it is not insanity to ask the same question, over and over, and expect a different response.

Oh, wait...

This seems like the appropriate thread to let my SDN invisible friends/colleagues know that I'm retiring at the end of this month. The new PC actually starts next week so we'll have some overlap time for training. I want to thank the SDN admins, moderators, and posters: you all gave me invaluable information and perspectives that made me better at my job, and I hope that I have helped a few people along the way as well. I didn't want to just disappear from the forums, but I recognize that as my time working in GME ends, my experience and advice will quickly become dated. I wish everyone the best moving forward!

Congrats on the retirement! You've been a great resource for SDN over the years.

Hi PD or PC,
I would appreciate input on how to go about implementing the name change as it relates to boards, first job post residency etc. So I've gotten the court order and have published the notice in the newspaper. In order to change name on any official documents, I need to get certified copy from the court which can be obtained on request.

I'm PGY-3 and will graduate in June 2019. Will be starting the FCVS process and not sure how it would affect that?

The thought was to start the new job with the new name but not sure how I should go about it?

Should I ask PC at my program which I will be, if it's good idea to hold off using the new name for graduating certificate?

Is my name sent to ACGME so it can be recorded as someone who completed their residency?

If I complete my FCVS process with old name, and if I use the new name when applying for jobs, will I need to go through the verification process again?

I wanted to start the FCS process as soon as possible as I'm already running behind so maybe start the process with current name that's also on all educational certificates etc and submit the name change when it becomes final (certified copy from court)?

I would be grateful for any advice on this and what's the better way to sequence things here. Thanks!