This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Samin23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still have 1 year until I start the application process, but I met with my advisor this morning and she said I need to start thinking about my LORs, and that I should have them ready by January 2017 if I plan on applying for the 2018 cycle. I went to my Ochem 1 prof's office hours pretty often last semester, but I haven't talked to him in a few months, and I have gone to my Ochem 2 professor's office hours a few times to ask homework questions this semester.
What are the best ways to go about asking my profs for a LOR? I don't want to sound too desperate or sound like I'm just using them for a letter. I'm not really the type of person that asks others for help/favors, so I'm not really comfortable in this situation lol. Also, would they be allowed to give the letter to me, or would they have to hold on to it until I submit my application?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Either keep dropping back in on them as the semesters go by or go ahead and ask them for the letter and tell them to write it and hold it or upload to Interfolio. You have to pay for interfolio but honestly the lack of stress because you already have the letters sitting there waiting is worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
Let them know at the very beginning of the semester that you'll be seeking a LOR so they know to look out during the whole semester.

Sent from my XT1096 using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Let them know at the very beginning of the semester that you'll be seeking a LOR so they know to look out during the whole semester.

I'd advise against that. You don't want to make it seem you're using them solely for their letter. State you are pre-dental, not that you want a letter from the get go.

I'd advise against that. You don't want to make it seem you're using them solely for their letter. State you are pre-dental, not that you want a letter from the get go.
That's what I did, and it worked out in my favor. Just speaking from my own experience.

I think its better to let them know as soon as possible. I waited half a semester to get to know a professor and by the time I finally asked for a rec letter, she had too many already lined up to write one for me. I ended up emailing two professors I had previously done well with and got LORs right away.

Reactions: 1 user