Aspiring Med HS Student

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm currently a High School sophomore, and I know for a fact that going into the medical field is the career path I would like to take. At the moment, Anesthesiology has caught my eye, however that isn't quite as important as actually getting into a medical college is.
I am in my second semester as a tenth grade student.
These are the classes I have taken in the past, along with the grades I got in each class:
  • Algebra (Seventh Grade)- 87
  • Geometry (Eighth Grade)- 96
  • Algebra 2- 90
  • In Pre-Calculus, I got an 80
  • English One Honors- 97
  • Biology Honors- 95
  • World History Honors- 96
  • Spanish One- 100
  • Chemistry Honors- 86
  • English Two Honors- 93
The classes I am currently taking include:
  • AP Environmental Science (93 last report card)
  • Civics and Economics (94)
  • Biomedical Technology (95)
I, of course, am also taking non-core classes such as Microsoft excel, parenting, etc.
As a Junior, I signed up for the following classes:
  • Dual Enrollment- I would be taking Pre-Calculus once again, however at my local community college for a college credit (I still have to be accepted, but I am confident I will be)
  • Health Science One Honors
  • Health Science Two Honors
  • AP US History
  • AP English Three
  • Spanish 2
  • Horticulture
  • Microsoft Word
As a Senior, the classes I am currently interested in taking include:
  • Spanish Three Honors
  • English Four (I'm not sure what English Four's my high school provides, but most likely it will be an AP Course)
  • AP World History
  • Calculus Honors
  • Nursing Fundamentals (I would be able to get a license as a Nurse's assistant if I pass the course)
  • There is a possibility I will do a CTE Internship, which would be an internship at a hospital if possible
I did tennis my freshman year, and I plan on being an ambassador for my school as well as doing tennis as a Junior, however I did not do it this year (my Sophomore year)
I currently have not gotten any volunteer hours, but I plan on volunteering at a hospital and a library.
My weighted GPA was a 4.3 as a freshman, however I will not know my current GPA until the end of this school year.

I was curious as to what volunteering I should do, what classes I should take, as well as any other helpful tips to get into the college I am interested in. I will most likely be doing two years at my community college, then I will transfer to another college and finish my bachelors degree. My plan is to then go to UNC School of Medicine, however, I am not sure if I will be accepted.

My main questions include:
  • Should I change the classes I plan on taking Junior/Senior year?
  • What volunteering should I do/ how many hours would be acceptable?
  • Any tips into getting ready for and getting into college
  • Am I anywhere near the possibility of going to UNC?
  • Just anything helpful really

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, love the enthusiasm! But you might want to post this at the pre-med forum instead. (Or perhaps a mod can move your request there?) You'll probably get more help over there.

Don't worry about choosing a specialty before getting into med school. You'll likely change your mind a few times even during med school let alone before it.

Good luck!
Okay, Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
Does that mean those are bad grades or poor grades in the eyes of college administration? Pre Calculus was honors as well.
He was kidding :p med schools will never see your high school grades
Also, don't post the same thread in multiple forums!

Reactions: 1 users
One thing to keep in mind if you take dual enrollment courses...the grades you receive at community college stay with you. If you do poorly, they will officially be part of your official college record and will be included on your college GPA for med school admissions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Your HS grades only matter so far as admission to an undergrad institution is concerned. Get into the best college for you -- ideal mix of cost, livability, location and opportunities.

It's great that you're doing dual-enrollment. I loved it, myself and I always highly recommend that high-performing students get college credit early, in a college setting. However, as the poster above warned, be aware that you would be building an official college transcript. All grades you get for classes you take at that CC will be seen by med schools and factored into your GPAs. It looks like you're taking it easy for your first semester. That's good -- ease into the different environment and you'll do fine. I took pre-calc as a dual-enrolled HS-er too :D

I know you're eager to jump right in, but I think it would be safe to wait to get too involved in volunteering until you're sure you can handle college coursework, on its own. (this is for when you've graduated and are in college, full-time) If you excel in your first semester or two, then pick up some clinical and non-clinical volunteering, and maybe a club or two. Ease through the process because there's definitely no rush, especially given that you're getting a head start in college!

Any reason you're planning on doing 2 years at community college before going to a 4 year University? I would try to go to a 4 year undergrad right out of high school. If you don't think you can succeed academically at a 4 year undergrad right out of high school, medical school is a totally different animal with regards to course difficulty. However, if it's a money issue, that isn't necessarily a death knell on the application and thoughtful financial planning regarding tuition isn't a bad thing. Don't marry yourself to the specialty of anesthesia. You have so long to go before you get to that fork in the road. Just make A's in college, volunteer in a clinical setting, learn medical Spanish, and the rest will take care of itself.