Atlantic Bridge/MCAT for current PoliSci Student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I attempt the MCAT?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe; but it's extremely hard! Better off doing something else!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Zoeyschmoey

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, Quick bit about me. 3.6 GPA/ 22 f graduating in 2018.

I go to Cal and am currently studying Political Science with a focus on International Relations. I have not taken any pre-med classes (Chem, etc) but am extremely interested in going to medical school after I finish my undergrad. The 'catch' for me is that I've never taken any chemistry, calc, or biology classes. I've taken an undergrad level bio class to fulfill lower-class men req but other than that...I have absolutely no experience in that realm.

I am not looking into doing med school here in the U.S as I am planning on moving to Ireland (EU) after graduating. There is a program called Atlantic Bridge that allows students from any major to do med school abroad. It says the MCAT is HIGHLY recommended but not a requirement. Regardless, I obviously want to be prepared but don't know if it's realistic for someone with my sort of background to push for med school AND potentially passing the MCAT with a decent score.

I am willing to spend the next year (senior year) taking some of these classes (Chem, O-Chem, Bio) to prep for the MCAT while still taking my PoliSci classes, but again don't know if this is a plan that is realistic. I need to figure this out now because I am trying to figure out my life....and my class schedule for fall. I am extremely passionate and willing to do this if anyone can provide any input on this...

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want a shot at graduate entry for Atlantic Bridge, you absolutely need the MCAT and you need a relatively good score on it. A minimum of like a ~508 with your GPA.

I got in with a ~3.4 and 515 MCAT. So, considering your GPA is higher, I'd say you should aim for a 507-510 MCAT..
Interesting how I just went through the whole process without realizing they have 0 med school pre-reqs lol; that makes everything easier; I won't say I needed first year biology or first-year chemistry to study for the MCAT, but who knows, I majored in biology, I've been studying those subjects for so long, maybe they are just second nature to me now...

I'd say take gen chem 1+2, ochem 1+2 and maybe physics 1+2; bio you can just memorize off of prep books like Kaplan etc (honestly, first year biology is stupid, they don't teach you anything except tell you to memorize everything in the book...and I went to a top 20 uni). If those 6 courses are too many to fit in your schedule, try taking poli sci/pre-req courses over this summer maybe?

So yeah, to summarize, aim for a 507-510 (75-85th percentile) on the MCAT and take ochem, chem and physics pre-reqs.

EDIT: I just saw your poll, and you said "it's extremely hard! you're better off doing something else"
No, it's not that hard don't worry; give it a shot at the very least!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
To add on what other people have said which i also second, try to get some good ECs to get good reference letters and try to come up with a REALLY good statement letter. To be honest i think those what got me to the UL interview!

Hey guys, if I may--I'd like to add onto this questions seeking some data :p!

I am currently applying. I won't have an MCAT completed by the deadline required for this year's cycle. But, will this really hurt my chances if I am applying to 5-year programs? I thought MCAT was required for the 4 year graduate entry.