Attending Life

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That is true. But the advantage for us is that San Fran has such a small count of hospitals compared to the rest of the US, that you don’t have to move there to work.
Whereas if I wanted to work for Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Snapchat, what have you, most likely I would be forced to move to Solicon Valley and pay a mil for a 600SF condo.

Wait, they work way less than we do, why do they have to live in silicon valley. they can easily drive in like what many docs do.

Members don't see this ad.

They have to live in the vicinity. Not right next to google. How far away can you live and commute to work in that area without spending a minimum of two hours a day in your car?

I have never lived there, but from what I have read people drive 90 minutes and more each way to the San Fran area in order to find reasonably priced housing. Is it worth it?

I don’t know for sure but maybe a house within 30 minutes is reasonable? And by reasonable I mean a nice house for 450k. Like 2500 SF. But of course that’s all subjective. I have been called a miser.
Wait, they work way less than we do, why do they have to live in silicon valley. they can easily drive in like what many docs do.

Members don't see this ad :)
It stinks. Long hours. I made the wrong choice of specialty and I regret it.
A few things I have heard over the years:
Anesthesia residency is easier than Gen. Surg. residency, but being and Anesthesiologist is requires more time/hours than being a surgeon.
Anesthesiologists get treated like residents for the rest of their lives.
Nearly every time a woman gives birth in this country, and anesthesiologist is involved. We live in the wake of the OBs. Take that for a lifestyle.

Reactions: 1 users
It stinks. Long hours. I made the wrong choice of specialty and I regret it.
A few things I have heard over the years:
Anesthesia residency is easier than Gen. Surg. residency, but being and Anesthesiologist is requires more time/hours than being a surgeon.
Anesthesiologists get treated like residents for the rest of their lives.
Nearly every time a woman gives birth in this country, and anesthesiologist is involved. We live in the wake of the OBs. Take that for a lifestyle.

Maybe your job sucks and you can find a better one. OB at my job is easy money, stipend from the hospital to sit in house all day and maybe place two epidurals and do one c/s. It’s not abnormal to have a day without a single procedure. Nights we get paid to sleep. Can’t get much better than being paid to do nothing.

For google, entry CS MS get ~150k base, 15-25% bonus, 250-300 RSU for 4 years (about 300K), some sign-on bonus, etc. So a total of 250K + bennies for a beginner. When you get more experienced, more $$$.

:) Few CS grads get a chance like that. Not everyone can do the coursework (including the masters degree) and then produce useful work. There's this myth that every doctor, by virtue of getting into medical school is somehow a success-savant that could've succeeded in any other industry. It's hubris and a bizarre lack of perspective.

Yes doctors are smart and we have the unusual strengths of strong work ethic and delayed gratification. Determination will get you far in medicine. It's not near enough in CS.

I finished undergrad with a CS minor and worked a couple years ... you know the 80/20 rule where 80% of work gets done by 20% of the people? In that world it's more like 97/3. The superstars carry the creative and design loads that make or break a project, and a bunch of drones bang out code or get in the way.

Those guys didn't "choose" to be gifted programmers and computer scientists when they looked at the job market as undeclared undergrads. They were on that path in high school when they excelled in math and spent every free minute messing with computers. It's just wrong to think that even 1/10th of a med school class could've just done that instead.

I wish I had studied CS. I was good at it (A for elective programming classes)

I was good at it too ... sort of. There's no comparison between the elective language intro classes for dabblers, and the meat of the upper division curriculum. Beyond the basic language classes the first real hurdle is usually a data structures course and then things get steep. I'm a clever guy and I admit I struggled with the more advanced classes. I didn't exactly carry the team on group projects. The 7 or 8 upper division classes I took were an anchor on my gpa and hurt my med school app. No offense :) but pride in getting an A in an elective lower division programming class is like telling a mathematician that you're good at math because you got an A in geometry, and that you could've been successful in the field if the paycheck was better and you really wanted to.

These threads drive me crazy, if you can't tell. I don't really mean to attack you but I don't agree at all with your perspective. :)

Reactions: 7 users
:) Few CS grads get a chance like that. Not everyone can do the coursework (including the masters degree) and then produce useful work. There's this myth that every doctor, by virtue of getting into medical school is somehow a success-savant that could've succeeded in any other industry. It's hubris and a bizarre lack of perspective.

Yes doctors are smart and we have the unusual strengths of strong work ethic and delayed gratification. Determination will get you far in medicine. It's not near enough in CS.

I finished undergrad with a CS minor and worked a couple years ... you know the 80/20 rule where 80% of work gets done by 20% of the people? In that world it's more like 97/3. The superstars carry the creative and design loads that make or break a project, and a bunch of drones bang out code or get in the way.

Those guys didn't "choose" to be gifted programmers and computer scientists when they looked at the job market as undeclared undergrads. They were on that path in high school when they excelled in math and spent every free minute messing with computers. It's just wrong to think that even 1/10th of a med school class could've just done that instead.

I was good at it too ... sort of. There's no comparison between the elective language intro classes for dabblers, and the meat of the upper division curriculum. Beyond the basic language classes the first real hurdle is usually a data structures course and then things get steep. I'm a clever guy and I admit I struggled with the more advanced classes. I didn't exactly carry the team on group projects. The 7 or 8 upper division classes I took were an anchor on my gpa and hurt my med school app. No offense :) but pride in getting an A in an elective lower division programming class is like telling a mathematician that you're good at math because you got an A in geometry, and that you could've been successful in the field if the paycheck was better and you really wanted to.

These threads drive me crazy, if you can't tell. I don't really mean to attack you but I don't agree at all with your perspective. :)

I agree the super stars get paid the high 6 figures and 7 figures. But thats the super stars. The drones get paid significantly well as well, simply because this country doesn't even have enough drones to do the work. Don't forget, boot camps like Ace that do a 6 month boot camp coding class have an average graduate starting salary of about 95-100k. Many of these people come from random majors. A few of my friends who graduated as Bio/related majors and couldn't find jobs went thru these programs to land great jobs. You dont need mastery of upper level coding classes to land a good job. Will you get 300k+? Prob not. But either way you are high paid, not overworked, and usually have good benefits. I took some programming classes as well, I didn't think they are easy, but i did think they took far fewer hours for me to do well in them compared to the hours i put in med school.
In a way it's similar to med, if you are smart, like most med people, and are willing to put in the effort, you will land a good job in CS

I confess my experience in that industry is about 20 years old. I probably shouldn't assume that it's all the same today. Just skeptical that there's that much opportunity.

Job security is another issue though. I feel pretty secure as an anesthesiologist, even with all this doom & gloom.

The drones get outsourced to developing countries. Nobody needs to pay 100-200K to an American code monkey if they can pay only 20-40K to a Eastern European one.

+1 to what @pgg said.

Reactions: 2 users
To the OP...

This, too, shall pass. I love what I do. I probably make less (academics) but still feel an immense amount of joy for what I do.

That said, I probably average 45-50 hours per week. I take call a week at a time, but it's home call.

My work life balance is infinitely better, but I also have a lot more outside interests... My website, expert witness work, research, etc

That said, I would absolutely do this all over again. I love what I do.

TPP

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

I confess my experience in that industry is about 20 years old. I probably shouldn't assume that it's all the same today. Just skeptical that there's that much opportunity.

Job security is another issue though. I feel pretty secure as an anesthesiologist, even with all this doom & gloom.

Wait there was a industry 20 years ago? Haha

The drones get outsourced to developing countries. Nobody needs to pay 100-200K to an American code monkey if they can pay only 20-40K to a Eastern European one.

+1 to what @pgg said.

Lol nah. They are competing against high tech firms in their countries.

That is true. But the advantage for us is that San Fran has such a small count of hospitals compared to the rest of the US, that you don’t have to move there to work.
Whereas if I wanted to work for Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Snapchat, what have you, most likely I would be forced to move to Solicon Valley and pay a mil for a 600SF condo.

Seattle has a lot of tech companies as well. Second largest number of tech based companies in the USA.

But, like SF real estate is hugely expensive. Expect to spend a million for a typical 2400 sq foot home in Seattle.

Engineers work in google, facebook, amazon, snapchat are not as smart as you think. I know a lot of them. Granted, most of them have some sort of graduate degrees. These degrees do not have to come from top programs. For an average engineer, there are tricks to get into these top companies, such as study hard for leetcode (similar to us using First Aid for Steps)

For google, entry CS MS get ~150k base, 15-25% bonus, 250-300 RSU for 4 years (about 300K), some sign-on bonus, etc. So a total of 250K + bennies for a beginner. When you get more experienced, more $$$.

No calls, no weekends, WFH, no crna bailout, no **** hits the fan.... Good life.

I wish I had studied CS. I was good at it (A for elective programming classes)

I too know a 25 year old techie pulling in $200k plus benefits and stock options. The stock portion could be worth another $25-$50k per year depending on how it is structured.

Members don't see this ad :)

If 97/3 rule is true, how talented do these 97% drones need to be to do the leftover 3%, virtually nothing?

While google does recruit graduates from stanford, Berkeley favorably, it has quite some San Jose State graduates too. How difficult is it to obtain a CS degree from SJSU?

My point is not that I would have been a CS guru, but to encourage future college students to consider CS if he/she has the interest. Don't be intimidated. I particularly encourage women: good pay, good life-work balance, abundant high quality males as spouse candidates :)

Last edited:
Maybe your job sucks and you can find a better one. OB at my job is easy money, stipend from the hospital to sit in house all day and maybe place two epidurals and do one c/s. It’s not abnormal to have a day without a single procedure. Nights we get paid to sleep. Can’t get much better than being paid to do nothing.

You think that you are sleeping, but you really aren't. Sleeping in a hospital is a poor quality of life. Studies have shown all sorts of problems, physical and psychological, associated with that. You are being fooled by our ridiculous standards. My spouse works for club fed as a scientist. When they work 24 hours straight (rare) they get the whole next week off. Per hour, spouse makes more.
Our models are messed up. I did a degree in business, and we really exploit each other and ourselves. Every now and then someone gets lucky and gets an "easy" gig. But most of us work pretty hard.
It can get better. You could be making much more as a radiologist.

You think that you are sleeping, but you really aren't. Sleeping in a hospital is a poor quality of life. Studies have shown all sorts of problems, physical and psychological, associated with that. You are being fooled by our ridiculous standards. My spouse works for club fed as a scientist. When they work 24 hours straight (rare) they get the whole next week off. Per hour, spouse makes more.
Our models are messed up. I did a degree in business, and we really exploit each other and ourselves. Every now and then someone gets lucky and gets an "easy" gig. But most of us work pretty hard.
It can get better. You could be making much more as a radiologist.

Depends on his stipend.

Seniormd, there are some people who can sleep soundly and deeply in a hospital call room and it's just like home to them.
Now I haven't taken call in almost two years and don't miss going to bed anxious about a page. Let me tell you I do sleep well most nights. By the end of CA1 year, I had no problem falling asleep on call during residency and when I was working full time in PP(home call) i went to bed by 7 or 7:30pm on call nights if I was home in anticipation of a middle of the night call. Maybe the research showed otherwise but the nights when I had no calls, I slept totally fine and was up the next day feeling great.
I bet some people sleep well on call even in the hospital. Especially if the call room is nice.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it does get better as an attending, but a lot of it depends on what job you get.

My first job out of residency was kinda terrible. I worked as an employee for a pp group with a small chance for partnership. Call was q7. I had only 6 weeks vacation per year (still better than 3 during residency). My total package (income, retirement, health insurance, etc) was only 275k. It was in a pretty desirable location, but I was pretty miserable when I browsed gaswork and saw all the better jobs available. I left that practice after a year (woulda been sooner, but I had to give a 3 month notice).

My second and current job is much better and life is good. I am now on call q11, I get 8-12 weeks of vacation. My total package is 400-500k depending on business since I’m a partner in a pp group. Location is less desirable and rural but I’ve come to enjoy it. Less hustle bustle.

Im about to be 3 years out from residency and my student debt is down to about 50k (from 350k). I got about 300k saved up in my FU account. I got a mortgage on a reasonably priced house (~300k; that gets you a lot in my area). I finally feel like the shackles of the dollar are coming off. The key is to live comfortably, but not extravagantly.

Reactions: 13 users

All of those companies have offices in every major city.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel and it does get better as an attending, but a lot of it depends on what job you get.

My first job out of residency was kinda terrible. I worked as an employee for a pp group with a small chance for partnership. Call was q7. I had only 6 weeks vacation per year (still better than 3 during residency). My total package (income, retirement, health insurance, etc) was only 275k. It was in a pretty desirable location, but I was pretty miserable when I browsed gaswork and saw all the better jobs available. I left that practice after a year (woulda been sooner, but I had to give a 3 month notice).

My second and current job is much better and life is good. I am now on call q11, I get 8-12 weeks of vacation. My total package is 400-500k depending on business since I’m a partner in a pp group. Location is less desirable and rural but I’ve come to enjoy it. Less hustle bustle.

Im about to be 3 years out from residency and my student debt is down to about 50k (from 350k). I got about 300k saved up in my FU account. I got a mortgage on a reasonably priced house (~300k; that gets you a lot in my area). I finally feel like the shackles of the dollar are coming off. The key is to live comfortably, but not extravagantly.

Curious how you went about finding your new job since it sounds like you moved to a completely new area?

Curious how you went about finding your new job since it sounds like you moved to a completely new area?
I looked at gaswork. Saw the job, googled the group. The group actually had a guy in my residency class, and the rest was history.

Seniormd, there are some people who can sleep soundly and deeply in a hospital call room and it's just like home to them.
Now I haven't taken call in almost two years and don't miss going to bed anxious about a page. Let me tell you I do sleep well most nights. By the end of CA1 year, I had no problem falling asleep on call during residency and when I was working full time in PP(home call) i went to bed by 7 or 7:30pm on call nights if I was home in anticipation of a middle of the night call. Maybe the research showed otherwise but the nights when I had no calls, I slept totally fine and was up the next day feeling great.
I bet some people sleep well on call even in the hospital. Especially if the call room is nice.

Some people sleep well, most probably don't, that is why most people do not like to take call.

Some people sleep well, most probably don't, that is why most people do not like to take call.
I suspect most people don’t like to take call because they don’t want to be working 16 to 24 hours straight or intermittently. Not because they can’t sleep when nothing is happening.

Let’s do a survey. Now I am curious.

I think it is kind of what you make of it, glass is half-full or half-empty mentality. There are going to be challenges in any practice setting and, if they are unpalatable, you leave and find another gig. We are very employable, especially if you have social skills and can do your job. My residency wasn't brutal at all, good name on the diploma, and gave me what I needed to succeed in private practice. Fast-forward a good number of years and I am quite content. 5 or 6 vacations a year WITH children, plenty of money and more than 2 months of vacation time a year. 5-6 calls a month including weekends split between 2 facilities, post-call off. Plenty of quality of life.
Hang in there.

Reactions: 1 user
I suspect most people don’t like to take call because they don’t want to be working 16 to 24 hours straight or intermittently. Not because they can’t sleep when nothing is happening.

Let’s do a survey. Now I am curious.

I would sleep fine if I was about 6 inches shorter. I’m too tall for the call room bed/mattress which is uncomfortable.

I would sleep fine if I was about 6 inches shorter. I’m too tall for the call room bed/mattress which is uncomfortable.
Interesting. That sucks. Never had to think about that with my height.
Y’all need a new mattress. Maybe you all can pool money together for a new frame and bed?

Ugh, this call room discussion reminds me of residency where in one of the towers we shared a room with bunk beds with the surgery resident on call. They were rarely there since they had ED consults all night but man it was awful and if you had bottom bunk the shaking made it seem like it could collapse at any time - fun times.

Cutting back to 1/2 time in a couple of years.

Can’t wait for that.
Will have about 30wks per year. :banana:

Do you mind sharing:

Your age

Your savings/annual spending multiplier (personally have about 20x, I consider financial independence as having 30x. I’ll try to go half time when I get close to 30x)

Interesting. That sucks. Never had to think about that with my height.
Y’all need a new mattress. Maybe you all can pool money together for a new frame and bed?

I wish, housekeeping changes all the call bed sheets every day and they’re a standard size so everyone would have to bring their own clean sheets each day if we did that. There’s an ortho trauma surgeon affected and me, but that’s pretty much it.
Overly tall people problems I guess. Thankfully I only pick up in house call here and there.

I sleep poorly in the hospital call room, but it's typically a moot point since it seems like we're always doing critically emergent lap choles and I'm up all night anyway.

Some attending life is better, we have a king sized bed. Last night I was lucky enough to sleep from 9-630, which is more than I do at home. The prior call I only slept from 4 am-6am, so there is some variability.

I have the same issue, although we convinced the hospital to buy us double beds at the very least. I am 6'5", though, and don't really fit either.
Our call is from home as long as we are within 20 min. Definitely can relate to the middle of the night, emergent lap chole/appy/ORIF ankle/bipolar hip/butt abscess I&D. SMH.

I sleep poorly in the hospital call room, but it's typically a moot point since it seems like we're always doing critically emergent lap choles and I'm up all night anyway.
Really times have changed. I slept like a baby there. I sleep terribly on call especially since we cannot have company. At my residency our hospital had a five star hotel in it. A one particular attending would entertain ladies while on call there.

Reactions: 5 users
Really times have changed. I slept like a baby there. I sleep terribly on call especially since we cannot have company. At my residency our hospital had a five star hotel in it. A one particular attending would entertain ladies while on call there.

Ballin

The bed is OK, I just sleep lightly waiting for the phone to go off. As the story goes, if the night float surgery residents don't do garbage cases in the middle of the night, they might not operate at all. And I guess that's unacceptable to someone. So we do all kinds of stuff that sane people in saner places wouldn't do.

The bed is OK, I just sleep lightly waiting for the phone to go off. As the story goes, if the night float surgery residents don't do garbage cases in the middle of the night, they might not operate at all. And I guess that's unacceptable to someone. So we do all kinds of stuff that sane people in saner places wouldn't do.

Don’t you have residents? Why do you need to be up all night? Sounds like a good excuse to let them “spread their wings”. ;)

Don’t you have residents? Why do you need to be up all night? Sounds like a good excuse to let them “spread their wings”. ;)
Our policy is pretty rigid. Up to and including the very last day of residency, we're required to be physically present for induction, emergence, and critical portions of the case. I think it's a disservice to the residents but I don't get to make the rules.

Our policy is pretty rigid. Up to and including the very last day of residency, we're required to be physically present for induction, emergence, and critical portions of the case. I think it's a disservice to the residents but I don't get to make the rules.
This was loosely followed when I was there especially with ca3 residents. Sounds like things have tightened up.

Do you mind sharing:

Your age

Your savings/annual spending multiplier (personally have about 20x, I consider financial independence as having 30x. I’ll try to go half time when I get close to 30x)

Mid 40's.
DINK
Worked in BFE for 6-7 years making bank and didn't spend much money while there.
My practice was bought shortly after my wife and I made partner... so 2 buyouts.
Rental property income adds to about 70k a year.
Part owner of a trendy/popular bar in town, on the river. Big lines to get in, especially during the summer.
My spending habits have been a little higher the last couple of years, but for the most part, I save save save...

Reactions: 5 users
Mid 40's.
DINK
Worked in BFE for 6-7 years making bank and didn't spend much money while there.
My practice was bought shortly after my wife and I made partner... so 2 buyouts.
Part owner of a trendy/popular bar in town, on the river. Big lines to get in, especially during the summer.
My spending habits have been a little higher the last couple of years, but for the most part, I save save save...
Market has been good over the last 10 years... so that has been nice.

Times are probably different now... but I'll never forget the last case of residency.
Type A dissection at 1am.
Basically did the entire case solo.
Best way to end residency...
Felt real that morning when I left the hospital for the last time.

As far as attending life:

I also sleep very poorly in the hospital and often am up all night.

But... yeah... it's worth it 100%

I am a happy guy for sure even though I work hard.

We recieved an epic 7 feet of snow this past week. Waist deep powder all day Friday and Saturday.
Went snowshoeing with my awesome wife and dog yesterday.
Very happy to be right here, right now.

As far as attending life:

I also sleep very poorly in the hospital and often am up all night.

But... yeah... it's worth it 100%

I am a happy guy for sure even though I work hard.

We recieved an epic 7 feet of snow this past week. Waist deep powder all day Friday and Saturday.
Went snowshoeing with my awesome wife and dog yesterday.
Very happy to be right here, right now.

I’ll be in Mammoth this weekend. Make the drive down and catch some laps with me.

PS: Where did you find snowshoes for your dog?? :D

I’ll be in Mammoth this weekend. Make the drive down and catch some laps with me.

Dude... I would but I am on call this weekend. Should be perfect. They actually shut down the whole mountain last week due to a gnarly avalanche.

Take some turns for me Salty.

Mid 40's.
DINK
If both you and your wife are anesthesiologists and you save like you say, shouldn’t you be able to retire now if you wanted to? Especially with that rental income.

My goal is to have the option to retire by the time I’m 50 if this field turns to sh** over the next 15 years.

This SOB was born with snow paddles. He comes up to the slopes with me all the time...

Ei2HPtI.jpg

uwRvHue.jpg

ZWLgHn2.jpg

Really was a great 3day weekend.
We’ll have to shred soon...

:eek:

WNIkuLX.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
My total package (income, retirement, health insurance, etc) was only 275k.

We should all take a moment to reflect on this statement “only 275” and see what a fortunate position we share.

Reactions: 4 users