August 09 PCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kakme

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just talked to a lady at the Pearson Center. She said it is possible the scores will be available online as early as Monday the 21st. OMG...:scared:.....I'm so nervous.

Members don't see this ad.

Studied for less than 2 weeks. Composite 77. Thanks to Dr. Collins. I'm not taking it again in October.

Hi All,

I took paid the $20 to see my score "early" I would have never known if not for this forum! :) It's been awhile since I've been on here, but here are my scores and i am really really well :confused::scared:

Verbal Ability: 86
Biology: 87
Reading Comprehension 37 :scared:
Quantitative Ability 81
Chemistry 85
Writing 3/3 on both
Overall: 82.

So what do I do? retake or not?? The 37 was the huge kicker. Yet all the other science sections were around the same. I'm not sure how to read the PCAT scores and what they mean?? what is considered competitive? I have about a 3.5 overall, but a mediocre science GPA.

How long do you have to wait between PCAT sittings 30 days or 60 days??

How much do pharmacy schools ding you on the READING COMPREHENSION? how much emphasis is placed on this??

any advice would be helpful!

and congrats and good luck to everyone!

82 421 Composite
81 426 Chemistry
81 426 Quantitative Ability
48 402 Reading Comprehension
87 429 Biology
81 422 Verbal Ability

should i retake????

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi All,

I took paid the $20 to see my score "early" I would have never known if not for this forum! :) It's been awhile since I've been on here, but here are my scores and i am really really well :confused::scared:

Verbal Ability: 86
Biology: 87
Reading Comprehension 37 :scared:
Quantitative Ability 81
Chemistry 85
Writing 3/3 on both
Overall: 82.

So what do I do? retake or not?? The 37 was the huge kicker. Yet all the other science sections were around the same. I'm not sure how to read the PCAT scores and what they mean?? what is considered competitive? I have about a 3.5 overall, but a mediocre science GPA.

How long do you have to wait between PCAT sittings 30 days or 60 days??

How much do pharmacy schools ding you on the READING COMPREHENSION? how much emphasis is placed on this??

any advice would be helpful!

and congrats and good luck to everyone!

SUP fellow 82er...

OroPharmD2b: Except for the one RC score, that's really good improvement! Congrats :)

Congrats to everyone who persevered and achieved what they had hoped for.

Last edited:
Here are mine

June August

VA 43 76

BIO 54 84

RC 48 26 (what the hell)

QA 69 85

CHEM 88 96

COMP. 65 84

Even though I am very disappointed with my Reading comprehesion, Over all i a happy? Will my reading comprehsion hurt my chances?

congrats on ur improvement
can you PLEASE tell me what you did to improve! i just received a 49 composite on the august pcat so needless to say i am very depressed right now: i just dont kno what to do from now till oct 17 b/c i need to improve on EVERYTHING

verbal..409 63
bio 417 75
reading 398 42 o well lol
quantitative 468 99
chemistry 443 93
composite 427 88

Last edited:
:rofl: yeah good luck with that. I can just see the return email.
Dear Eugene we regret to inform you that your scores were voided do to an....wait thats right we don't have to explain **** to you. We voided them because we could, feel free to sit for the next test though, maybe we will get bored and forget to go void those scores too.

haha. I used a different e-mail address than what I had on file with them:thumbup:. Fight the system! Just do it under a different alias.

nice letter. what did you get on your writing? :p

on topic, i agree wholeheartedly. i even made a thread deciding whether or not i should sign up for the oct. test. in the end, i decided against it. studying for the pcat once was enough; i don't want to relive that again.

I studied for about 3 1/2 months for the Aug. exam. Plan on studying for 3 more weeks leading up to the Oct 17 exam if my scores are low. I'd prefer not to give Pearson more of my money and just wait for the mail to arrive.

haha. I used a different e-mail address than what I had on file with them:thumbup:. Fight the system! Just do it under a different alias.

Lol. Yeah I wouldn't take them on either except on a strictly anonymous level. Then again I think the whole set up of the PCAT needs a major overhaul. And this is coming from someone who did really well on it. Just because I disagree with the system doesn't mean I can't benefit from said system. :laugh:

I have 89% composite, but gpa is 2.9 and i applied to both pcat and non-pcat required schools. Should i mention anywhere in the supplemental essays about my pcat score?

If i get an interview, do you think it's worth to mention my pcat grade to the adcom?

2nd time taking it. 64 composite the first time (June '09):

Composite 419 79

Chemistry 438 90
Quantitative Ability 416 69
Reading Comprehension 405 53
Biology 404 54
Verbal Ability 431 89

Problem Solving 2.5 2.84
Conventions of Language 2.0 2.83

Thank you Dr. Collins!
The only surprises to me were quant and reading comp. On test day I felt those were my best sections! Funny how things work out. The 90 in chem is good considering I'm a chem major. 54 in BIO is fine considering I totally suck at BIO.

Other stats:

• 3.79 overall GPA, Bachelor in Chemistry will be complete this semester.
  • AAS earned in chemical technology with a 4.0 cumulative GPA.
  • I am a lab/teacher assistant for chemistry at my current university, as well as a private tutor (for chemistry) and a music teacher (guitar).
  • Tons of experience dealing with the public:
  • Have done computer technical support, customer service, and retail sales.

• This summer I plan on working as a pharmacy technician at a local pharmacy.
Retake? Nah, nope, and no. I am 31 years old and just want to move on. I've taken this darn test twice now and I am just going to take my score and stats and run with them.

Applying to:
1. St. John Fisher, Rochester
2. University of Buffalo
3. Albany College of Pharmacy

And congrats to everyone who is happy with their scores!

Members don't see this ad :)

Composite 419 79

Chemistry 438 90
Biology 404 54
Verbal Ability 431 89

Problem Solving 2.5 2.84

Thank you Dr. Collins!
The only surprises to me were quant and reading comp. On test day I felt those were my best sections! Funny how things work out. The 90 in chem is good considering I'm a chem major. 54 in BIO is fine considering I totally suck at BIO.

Other stats:

• I am a lab/teacher assistant for chemistry at my current university, as well as a private tutor (for chemistry) and a music teacher (guitar).

Retake? Nah, nope, and no. I am 31 years old and just want to move on. I've taken this darn test twice now and I am just going to take my score and stats and run with them.

Applying to:
2. University of Buffalo

I studied Dr.Collins for verbal (memorized the list) & reading but score only 30 in verbal and 11 in reading. These hurt my comp. score. I have exact same score with you in other subjects. Please advise. Thanks

Composite 419 79

Chemistry 438 90
Biology 404 54
Verbal Ability 431 89

Problem Solving 2.5 2.84

Thank you Dr. Collins!

Other stats:

Applying to:
2. University of Buffalo

I'm glad you're happy! However, I would recommend applying to more than 3 schools if you can. I think that low bio score is really going to hurt your application. You may be happy with a 54, but surely you see that it is not really a GOOD score compared to others.

As for those asking about RC scores in the 40's: I wouldn't retake if everything else is good. I had a quant score in the 50s and everything else was between 76-88. I have gotten an interview at every school I applied at, which are all good, accredited schools.

I'm glad you're happy! However, I would recommend applying to more than 3 schools if you can. I think that low bio score is really going to hurt your application. You may be happy with a 54, but surely you see that it is not really a GOOD score compared to others.

I appreciate your advice.

However, I am actually applying to at least 4 other schools outside of NY. The ones I listed were just my top choices in my state; the ones I care about most, in other words.

As for BIO, of course I realize that it is not a good score. However, considering that Bio is the subtest I studied for the MOST on this and the June PCAT.... and the fact that I earned in the 50's both times... I just don't see my Bio score improving drastically. Like I said previously, I totally suck at Bio, let alone a standardized Bio test! So for ME, 54 is likely as good as it's going to get.

I studied Dr.Collins for verbal (memorized the list) & reading but score only 30 in verbal and 11 in reading. These hurt my comp. score. I have exact same score with you in other subjects. Please advise. Thanks

For verbal, don't just memorize; that won't help you with questions you haven't seen before. Make sure you know how to make word bridges and make sure you have a strategy/procedure for dealing with 1 and 2 blank sentences. The Kaplan text book has great strategies for these.

For reading comp, Kaplan also has a decent strategy, but I had to modify it because it was too time consuming. Just follow their strategy and if you also find it too time consuming, then do their strategy, but without the list-making part. Instead, make mental notes. My score wasn't great in reading comp, but it was way better than the 37 I got last time in June.

For verbal, don't just memorize; that won't help you with questions you haven't seen before. Make sure you know how to make word bridges and make sure you have a strategy/procedure for dealing with 1 and 2 blank sentences. The Kaplan text book has great strategies for these.

For reading comp, Kaplan also has a decent strategy, but I had to modify it because it was too time consuming. Just follow their strategy and if you also find it too time consuming, then do their strategy, but without the list-making part. Instead, make mental notes. My score wasn't great in reading comp, but it was way better than the 37 I got last time in June.

Thanks. I took Kaplan class of $1400 but it did not help much. In verbal, the only way we could build bridge is we know the first couple meaning, then figure out the second one. I still struggle with vocabulary. That's my weakness.

Please tell me how you modified the Kaplan strategy for Reading. I just see their method is a time consuming.

Conventions of Language 3/2.83
Problem Solving 3/2.84

Verbal Ability 87
Biology 99
Reading 66
QA 97
Chemistry 90

Composite 96

I studied about 2.5 months in advance for the August 22nd PCAT.

What I found most useful in ascending order:
- Dr. Collins
- Cliff's 5

What I found most useless:
- PCAT Professor
- Kaplan 2010-2011 PCAT

There were quite a few questions similar to Dr. Collins on the PCAT and that was nice. I thought that Cliff's 5 had good tests to review by.

I think what was most deficient in my preparation was the Reading Comprehension tests. Dr. Collins is much too easy and basic, Cliff's 5 is okay enough but Kaplan just has questions that surpass the difficulty of the PCAT's reading comprehension section.

I do not know what people see in the PCAT Professor. It is completely useless - material is not even close to being the same and some QA questions ask for a calculator!

I received a 82 composite as well! I have a 3.7 gpa, although I'm happy with how I did I'm scared that I might be looking average since it seems everyone has really high gpas and amazing scores these days, what are u guys doing? 82 good enough or should I repeat? the breakdown of my scores was as follows:
Composite 421 82
Verbal 422 81
Chemistry 411 62
Quantitative Ability 434 88
Reading Comprehension 402 48
Biology 434 90
my 2 writing scores were both 2.5

Interesting...As you are not on any admissions committee, I wonder what basis you have for making this statement.