Australian medical schools seem blatantly predatory towards North American students...am I missing something?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YCAGA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, hopefully this post does not come across the wrong way. I come from a place of wanting to understand and possibly inform other North American premeds looking into Australian medical schools. I started looking into Australian medical schools for the same reasons many North Americans do: I don't have a competitive GPA for MD schools and don't want to go DO. Initially what I read was very exciting, but as I read more and more...I feel like a lot of people are being tricked if they don't do significant research. It is important to note that much of this post does not apply to UQ-Ochsner because that program solely focuses on getting students to match in the US and has been quite successful at doing that. With more US MD and DO schools opening literally every year...we will see if that trend continues but for now it looks like a decent option. I am concerned of the predatory behavior of 4 year programs that take place mostly or entirely in Australia. I write from the perspective of an American but I believe most of it is true for Canadians as well.

At first, these schools seem very appealing. What draws us in is simple: these schools are easy to get into compared to US MD schools. They do not require a long list of "soft" requirements like a dozen extracurriculars to "check boxes", essays, and letters of recommendation. If you have the GPA and MCAT (and the cutoffs are very forgiving) and don't completely bomb the interview, it seems like they will accept you. Furthermore, Australian medical schools are located in a Western, English-speaking country at respected universities and have rotations at respected hospitals. The programs are not cheap but they cost about as much as a private MD school in the US: $320-360k in the US vs $350k-400k in Australia (both in USD). They give you the option of matching back home or if you fall in love with Australia/are disillusioned with the medical system back home, you can become a physician in Australia and live your life there.

Staying to work in Australia seemed especially appealing to me. Pay is more or less at par with pay in the US. Work-life balance seems much better. The Australian healthcare system is public with a private system superimposed and it is established that physicians are still well paid--if we move to medicare for all in the US, we have no idea what will happen to physician salaries. In the mean time, many patients in the US have a lot of animosity towards the healthcare system because it is so expensive. On the physician side, it is frustrating to know you are bankrupting people by doing your job. Australian post-grad training is about twice as long, which for some people is a downside, but as an intern/resident/registrar you are paid a much more reasonable wage and work hours are actually humane and conducive to starting a family and having a life. Personally, I would much rather work 40-50 hours of week for 10 years than work 80-90 hours a week for 5 years. Like most humans, I need sleep, have hobbies, and want to be around my kids when they are little.

Unfortunately...the reality half way across the world does not seem so bright the more you get into the specifics. The first problem for North American students is that, in terms of matching back home, Australian medical schools are really not that much different from the other "island medical schools," except they might have slightly less stigma than Caribbean medical schools. Their match rates might be slightly better but sample sizes are small and publicly released statistics are nonexistent. Ok...that isn't ideal, just stay and become a doctor in Australia then! It really does seem like a great place to work because of reasons I listed above.

So, you finish Australian medical school and then need to apply for an internship. Since you trained at the same schools as your Australian peers, that shouldn't be a huge problem...except it is. Australian and New Zealanders get priority over you (which is fair) and there aren't enough, if any, internship spots left over for foreigners. And thus the predatory nature of these programs begins. This already seems grim, but let's say you excelled in medical school, have top grades and scores, and a competitive CV. You are able to squeeze into a rural internship and are on the top of the world. Ha, it isn't that easy though. Next, you need to find a hospital that will hire you for residency. It probably wouldn't be a top hospital since your internship was not at a public, tertiary hospital and you just don't have the connections. This unfortunately carries forward and limits the connections you will need in terms of being accepted to a college for fellowship/specialty training (this part about reputation and connections based on your training sites is the part I am least sure about and would love to be corrected here). Then comes what is in my opinion the biggest and most well-hidden trap of this entire process: visas, permanent residency status, and how this affects your future training. The visa system in Australia changed in 2017 so the vast majority of advice on this forum and others is dangerously out of date. In the new system, being an intern or resident is no longer sufficient for a visa that provides a path to permanent residency. Instead, you can get a temporary two year visa that allows a one-time extension for two more years. After that, you are kind of screwed. You can't join most of the specialty colleges as a fellow if you aren't a permanent resident so it seems like you are stuck if you want to specialize. You have invested at least 8 years into learning about and working in the Australian healthcare system and you don't have much to show for it. Again, I would love to be proven wrong on this by someone more informed (I am sure there are many).

Finally, even though the pay in Australia is quite good, the job market seems abysmal compared to the US. Being a physician in the US is probably the best job when it comes to job security, salary, and being able to move to any region in the country. Of course, you will probably have to take a pay-cut and/or have a subpar lifestyle if you are very picky about location, or vice versa if you care a lot about pay and/or lifestyle, but by and large, physicians are in high demand in the US. The reports I have read estimate that Australia will have thousands of excess physicians within the next decade. Anecdotally, consultants (attendings for Canadian and Americans reading) can't even find jobs anywhere in the country when they graduate. That is a terrifying possibility. The lengthy training has its advantages, but those are all moot if you are 40, have been in school or training for literally 30+ years, are still in some debt, and can't even find a job.

I know a lot of these issues have been discussed piece by piece on this website. However, I hope that other premeds can read about the pros and cons in one place with this post and the responses it might generate. Even better, I would love to be proven partially or completely wrong and be told that a few members of this board are just too pessimistic when it comes to international medical students in Australia. Thank you for anyone who read this entire post and I look forward to hearing everyones experiences and opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
With regards to staying in Australia: Most of this isn’t accurate, an exaggeration, or just plain misinterpretation of the current process. I don’t have the energy to go point by point but I’d suggest reading more about how visas work. How training works. How obtaining jobs works and quite frankly unless you are actively doing these things or with people who are you really don’t understand the process.

Members don't see this ad :)
And obtaining a visa after internship year is not that complicated.
Fair enough. The problem is getting an internship at all as an international, is it not?

Yes if you don’t bother to hustle and expect to be handed one like a domestic student and don’t manage your expectations. NSW is a bit harder than QLD to get an intern spot as well.

Yes if you don’t bother to hustle and expect to be handed one like a domestic student and don’t manage your expectations. NSW is a bit harder than QLD to get an intern spot as well.
What about WA?

I don't think anyone but the most naive and arrogant international student would expect to be handed an intern spot--I am sure they exist but that isn't really the point of this discussion. Do you have any idea of the numbers we are taking about in terms of international students getting/not getting an internship? Otherwise, "work hard and have a good CV" is universal advice for literally every medical education system in the Western world. That doesn't help someone access the risks involved.

Personally I don't get the whole issue about the temp visas not "providing a path" to PR.

From what I can see, the 189 visa (PR) is still points based and is regardless of whatever temp visa you may be on when you begin working, with general registration meeting the criteria as proof of your 'medical skills'. So you just need to get enough points to get the EOI which is relatively straightforward (ie don't screw up IELTS). Of course, I'm not a migration agent so I might be missing something blatantly obvious but it seems to be the same from when I applied for mine (I was on a 457 back then which wasn't directly covertable ie did not provide a path to PR directly anyway?).

It's different if you don't want to be bothered with the whole points and EOI thing and go for regional sponsorship but I don't know enough about that route to talk about that....

As for the other stuff, I have a lot of anecdotal evidence but I know that's not what OP is looking for. People such as @pitman will be more likely able to provide the info in a more eloquent form compared to myself.

Last edited:
Personally I don't get the whole issue about the temp visas not "providing a path" to PR.

From what I can see, the 189 visa (PR) is still points based and is regardless of whatever temp visa you may be on when you begin working, with general registration meeting the criteria as proof of your 'medical skills'. So you just need to get enough points to get the EOI which is relatively straightforward (ie don't screw up IELTS). Of course, I'm not a migration agent so I might be missing something blatantly obvious but it seems to be the same from when I applied for mine (I was on a 457 back then which wasn't directly covertable ie did not provide a path to PR directly anyway?).

It's different if you don't want to be bothered with the whole points and EOI thing and go for regional sponsorship but I don't know enough about that route to talk about that....

As for the other stuff, I have a lot of anecdotal evidence but I know that's not what OP is looking for. People such as @pitman will be more likely able to provide the info in a more eloquent form compared to myself.

The issue with the 189 visa (PR) is that “resident medical officer” is approved as an occupation on the skilled occupation list for the 190 skilled nominated visa but not the 189 skilled independent. The only way around that that I can see is to apply under a different skilled occupation based on qualifications you have before medical school. Unfortunately you realistically need 75+ points currently to get an invitation to apply for a 189 visa (even though it is technically 65+ to apply, you will likely never get an invitation). That number of points is very difficult to get before starting medical school.

The only way around that that I can see is to apply under a different skilled occupation based on qualifications you have before medical school. Unfortunately you realistically need 75+ points currently to get an invitation to apply for a 189 visa (even though it is technically 65+ to apply, you will likely never get an invitation). That number of points is very difficult to get before starting medical school.

I think we are talking about different things here. If you want PR before med school, then you're going to be applying as a local with a whole other set of entrance criteria and gamsat marks. Even now some med schools will kick you out if you switch to domestic from international before you graduate.

As for the 189 post internship, nobody applies as an RMO for that visa, everyone uses NEC or some other similar category whch you can do if you get general registration.

Edit: yes, it would be ideal to get PR prior to internship. Everyone knows that. Even more ideally, one would get in as an international and then change to PR and pay domestic rates and get treated as a local for internship prefs. It doesn't work that way. Either you get in using the criteria the locals use or you pay extra+++ and sacrifice internship prefs as an international. There is no way to make going abroad for med all in your favour and everyone who comes here knows that. It's about if you're willing to take that gamble. Some people think it's worth it, others don't. That's it.

Last edited:
As for the 189 post internship, nobody applies as an RMO for that visa, everyone uses NEC or some other similar category whch you can do if you get general registration.

Edit: yes, it would be ideal to get PR prior to internship. Everyone knows that. Even more ideally, one would get in as an international and then change to PR and pay domestic rates and get treated as a local for internship prefs. It doesn't work that way. Either you get in using the criteria the locals use or you pay extra+++ and sacrifice internship prefs as an international. There is no way to make going abroad for med all in your favour and everyone who comes here knows that. It's about if you're willing to take that gamble. Some people think it's worth it, others don't. That's it.

Gotcha. Good to know. And I couldn’t agree more with your edit.

For QLD I think every international student that wanted a position got one this year and that’s been the case for a while.
I believe that's still the case, and I read the other day that all but 5 in NSW got one this year, which to me is still amazaballs given there are around two hundred int'ls graduating from that state every year.

* amazeballs

Last edited:
For the OP's convenience, I'm re-attaching the latest available (2016) MTRP report. It's a few years old but still gives an idea of trends, e.g., how grad numbers have ~plateaued and how many int'l students who started then would be expected to be graduating now, etc., to get an idea of chances of getting an internship job (with the missing data of number of int'l grads without jobs coming in piecemeal by each state that cares to report a number (which numbers are fair estimates but cannot be considered exact for a variety of reasons)).

Attachments

• MTRP-19_2016.pdf
    2.3 MB · Views: 147
I think we are talking about different things here. If you want PR before med school, then you're going to be applying as a local with a whole other set of entrance criteria and gamsat marks. Even now some med schools will kick you out if you switch to domestic from international before you graduate.

You could get married while a student or your partner could get PR while in med school (know this happened in my class) and they got group A preferencing even though they were Canadian. You just don't change your status with the school, and applying through the campaign is separate from school.

Hi everyone, hopefully this post does not come across the wrong way. I come from a place of wanting to understand and possibly inform other North American premeds looking into Australian medical schools. I started looking into Australian medical schools for the same reasons many North Americans do: I don't have a competitive GPA for MD schools and don't want to go DO. Initially what I read was very exciting, but as I read more and more...I feel like a lot of people are being tricked if they don't do significant research. It is important to note that much of this post does not apply to UQ-Ochsner because that program solely focuses on getting students to match in the US and has been quite successful at doing that. With more US MD and DO schools opening literally every year...we will see if that trend continues but for now it looks like a decent option. I am concerned of the predatory behavior of 4 year programs that take place mostly or entirely in Australia. I write from the perspective of an American but I believe most of it is true for Canadians as well.

At first, these schools seem very appealing. What draws us in is simple: these schools are easy to get into compared to US MD schools. They do not require a long list of "soft" requirements like a dozen extracurriculars to "check boxes", essays, and letters of recommendation. If you have the GPA and MCAT (and the cutoffs are very forgiving) and don't completely bomb the interview, it seems like they will accept you. Furthermore, Australian medical schools are located in a Western, English-speaking country at respected universities and have rotations at respected hospitals. The programs are not cheap but they cost about as much as a private MD school in the US: $320-360k in the US vs $350k-400k in Australia (both in USD). They give you the option of matching back home or if you fall in love with Australia/are disillusioned with the medical system back home, you can become a physician in Australia and live your life there.

Staying to work in Australia seemed especially appealing to me. Pay is more or less at par with pay in the US. Work-life balance seems much better. The Australian healthcare system is public with a private system superimposed and it is established that physicians are still well paid--if we move to medicare for all in the US, we have no idea what will happen to physician salaries. In the mean time, many patients in the US have a lot of animosity towards the healthcare system because it is so expensive. On the physician side, it is frustrating to know you are bankrupting people by doing your job. Australian post-grad training is about twice as long, which for some people is a downside, but as an intern/resident/registrar you are paid a much more reasonable wage and work hours are actually humane and conducive to starting a family and having a life. Personally, I would much rather work 40-50 hours of week for 10 years than work 80-90 hours a week for 5 years. Like most humans, I need sleep, have hobbies, and want to be around my kids when they are little.

Unfortunately...the reality half way across the world does not seem so bright the more you get into the specifics. The first problem for North American students is that, in terms of matching back home, Australian medical schools are really not that much different from the other "island medical schools," except they might have slightly less stigma than Caribbean medical schools. Their match rates might be slightly better but sample sizes are small and publicly released statistics are nonexistent. Ok...that isn't ideal, just stay and become a doctor in Australia then! It really does seem like a great place to work because of reasons I listed above.

So, you finish Australian medical school and then need to apply for an internship. Since you trained at the same schools as your Australian peers, that shouldn't be a huge problem...except it is. Australian and New Zealanders get priority over you (which is fair) and there aren't enough, if any, internship spots left over for foreigners. And thus the predatory nature of these programs begins. This already seems grim, but let's say you excelled in medical school, have top grades and scores, and a competitive CV. You are able to squeeze into a rural internship and are on the top of the world. Ha, it isn't that easy though. Next, you need to find a hospital that will hire you for residency. It probably wouldn't be a top hospital since your internship was not at a public, tertiary hospital and you just don't have the connections. This unfortunately carries forward and limits the connections you will need in terms of being accepted to a college for fellowship/specialty training (this part about reputation and connections based on your training sites is the part I am least sure about and would love to be corrected here). Then comes what is in my opinion the biggest and most well-hidden trap of this entire process: visas, permanent residency status, and how this affects your future training. The visa system in Australia changed in 2017 so the vast majority of advice on this forum and others is dangerously out of date. In the new system, being an intern or resident is no longer sufficient for a visa that provides a path to permanent residency. Instead, you can get a temporary two year visa that allows a one-time extension for two more years. After that, you are kind of screwed. You can't join most of the specialty colleges as a fellow if you aren't a permanent resident so it seems like you are stuck if you want to specialize. You have invested at least 8 years into learning about and working in the Australian healthcare system and you don't have much to show for it. Again, I would love to be proven wrong on this by someone more informed (I am sure there are many).

Finally, even though the pay in Australia is quite good, the job market seems abysmal compared to the US. Being a physician in the US is probably the best job when it comes to job security, salary, and being able to move to any region in the country. Of course, you will probably have to take a pay-cut and/or have a subpar lifestyle if you are very picky about location, or vice versa if you care a lot about pay and/or lifestyle, but by and large, physicians are in high demand in the US. The reports I have read estimate that Australia will have thousands of excess physicians within the next decade. Anecdotally, consultants (attendings for Canadian and Americans reading) can't even find jobs anywhere in the country when they graduate. That is a terrifying possibility. The lengthy training has its advantages, but those are all moot if you are 40, have been in school or training for literally 30+ years, are still in some debt, and can't even find a job.

I know a lot of these issues have been discussed piece by piece on this website. However, I hope that other premeds can read about the pros and cons in one place with this post and the responses it might generate. Even better, I would love to be proven partially or completely wrong and be told that a few members of this board are just too pessimistic when it comes to international medical students in Australia. Thank you for anyone who read this entire post and I look forward to hearing everyones experiences and opinions.

Predatory?

Hahaha. Hardly. Only if your are an absolute *****.

Tuition prices? I actually pay less than the vast majority of US schools. Approximately 160,000 for all four years. USyd international tuition = 218,000 usd. Macquarie Uni = 180,000 USD. Melbourne UNI is more expensive at 215,000 usd.

The University of Maryland school of medicine = 140,000 for in state and 260,000 usd for out of state. 60,000 USD a year for a private medical school generally seems to be the average which = 240,000 USD. Most people do not end up going in state for medical school.

So I imagine, depending on how you manage your finances, you can end up spending the same or maybe a little bit more. But the difference doesn't strike me as predatory. Did you actually look up the prices?

"Slightly less stigma" There is no stigma. People come all the way across the world to specifically study at Australian medical schools. Melbourne, Sydney, Griffith have a strong prestigious history. You cannot even compare the Caribbean to Australian medical schools. If you feel stigmatized its is because you have an dingus colleague who wants to make you feel poorly for having gone to school outside of America and that is likely a result of their own deep seeded insecurities.

I am studying with incredibly bright people. There were 95 spots at my school. 80 of which were allocated for domestic students. Over 5000 applications were received. The accomplishments of my peers never ceases to amaze me. Many of whom have PhDs already. Pharm Ds, some have extensive background in military special operations, advanced backgrounds in aviation. The list goes on and on. You would be extremely hard pressed to find similar calibre people in the Caribbean.

If you are open minded and hard working (if you made to Australia and through a medical program here as an international you most certainly are) you will find employment after you graduate.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm Canadian, and currently a 3rd year MD student @ USyd.

Although the OP does bring up some things to consider, alot of points are definitely exaggerated. The current tuition @ USyd is 78k AUD/year. Which is roughly 55k USD/year. This amount goes up by a couple thousand every year. The standards to get in are obviously lower then US/Cad MD schools and you don't need all the extracurricular as part of your application. MCAT/Interview is usually looked at most heavily, as North American GPAs when converted to the Australian system gets a boost.

Although it's always been known that Australian schools are easier to get into, the more popular ones have become a bit stricter as the pool of applicants have increased, at least since the last 3 years I have been here. Namely Umel, USyd and UQ. Umel has certain pre-reqs you have to meet before being considered, UQ is the easiest of the 3 as the cohorts are the biggest in Australia (this is not including UQ-Oschner even). Their international cohort is 2.5 the size of USyd (which is made up of usually 80% North Americans). USyd's int'l cohort in my year started at ~80, with about 50 from NA, mostly Canadian.

The match rates to go back home are significantly better then Caribbean schools, and obviously the attrition rate is much, much lower (like a normal MD school). The rate usually hovers around ~60% (comparable to the Irish schools, which are always popular with Canadians). But this rate is bias in that its obviously only for the people that have a full, competitive application. Some people choose not to apply because they didn't do so well on the MCCEE or USMLE, most are usually super keen in 1st year, then realize how great Australia can be and just end up staying, many find partners and have more incentives to stay, the list here goes on. So when it actually comes to Matching Day, there is a much smaller number of people that apply...which brings me on to my next point.

Insofar, almost no one has not gotten an internship spot from USyd if they wanted one. Granted some of these might be rural (some very rural) or interstate or in private hospitals but everyone that wanted to stay, and wanted a job, got one.

The next part is PR/Visa etc., this does get a bit tricky and it is important to keep in the back of your mind if you are considering coming to Australia. Alot of changes have been happening with Visa/PR applications, ie. downsizing of 189 visas, the abolishment of the 457 a couple years back and becoming a TSS visa. So yea, it does seem like it is becoming harder overall to get your PR quickly, definitely not as fast as before. And you may have to move regional/rural if you're really keen on getting PR (perhaps for security or buying property etc.) but I feel this route will always be open for physicians. You just might have to jump through a couple more hoops to get there now, or might have to spend an extra year or two as an unaccredited reg (as certain colleges require you to have PR to apply) but still very doable. I don't want to go to the details, as these things are changing and I expect some changes in the next year. But there are certain visa pathways you can get sponsored by your employer for PR, or apply in a different ANZSCO codes. And I say to keep this in the back of your mind, because things like visas/PR applications and even college requirements is dynamic and always changing. I guarantee whatever you look at now, is not going to be the same by the time you apply, get in and graduate. It is just something to be in the know if you're an int'l student, so you can choose the best option for yourself when the time comes.

The last thing is about jobs as a consultant. Certain specialties will always be more saturated then other specialties. This is no different in US/Cad/Aus. For instance, if you want to be a radiation oncologist, you have to work at a cancer centre. You need millions and millions dollar of medical machinery for you to work. You cannot open up your own shop. You will probably be a relative urban spot only. The lifestyle is quite good, and the salary is decent. The jobs to be an Radonc is slim pickings everywhere, just because of the nature of the job.

You want to be a consulting interventional cardiologist, yea you and 1000 other trainees. In this day and age, you can't just simply have letters behind your name anymore if you want to work in an academic, public role, with research and work in the heart of Sydney/Melbourne/New York/LA whatever in any competitive specialty. You have to have MPHs, MHAs, PhDs and have xx papers under your belt.

You want to be a rural GP, pathologist or psychiatrist? Pick your spot!