AVC Applicants c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats! Lots of SDNers in the Class of 2015. Hopefully the Canadians can add to those numbers in June. :D

If I could "like" this I would!!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone have any good housing resources? I've found Kijiji (which is utterly NOT pet friendly) but I can't post an ad myself because I'm in the US. Craigslist seems to mostly be vacation rentals. I know I'm early but I need to be able to bring my dog. I know Brown's Court are popular, but not sure how to find students looking for roommates (aside from summer sublets, oy!)

Help? :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I finally got my letter today after not breathing for about 2 weeks!!! Interview on may17th!!!! anyone else getting interviewed on this date?

I completely forget where I read it, but something said that when you get accepted they give you a contact name of a student that will help you get situated and find a place to live.

I completely forget where I read it, but something said that when you get accepted they give you a contact name of a student that will help you get situated and find a place to live.

The gave me the name of a housing coordinator person, who I intend to email pretty soon. I was trying to stake out some things on my own, but in the end it may just be easiest to email them. Thanks :)

that redhead: once someone starts the facebook group, there will be a number of listings for rentals. Also you shouldn't have much of a problem finding a place that will be ok with a dog, especially if you tell them you're a vet student.
I live in a cottage about 12-15 min from the school, and I know at least one of the cottages will be opening up. If you're interested in that, let me know and I can tell you more. And they're pet friendly, I have 2 dogs and a cat.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask:)

I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to live also. I have been looking for the past three weeks and am beginning to get frustrated with it. Every good place I find isn't pet friendly, and I'm bringing my cat with me. I am also thinking about Browns Court. I talked to the owners the other day and I am thinking about sending them my deposit for the fall. Does anyone have any feedback about Browns Court? Conditions/noise level/ etc? I won't be able to come back to PEI again before school starts because I'm in Connecticut. Any feedback about Browns Court would be greatly appreciated!

Whoa, why'd it take so long?? But glad you got one! :)

I had applied last year from a different address... and they sent it there first! i got the letter with my old addy scratched out and my new one on it! So glad it actually made it to me :) And thank you heaps for the congrats and congrats to you as well!

I'm having a hard time finding somewhere to live also. I have been looking for the past three weeks and am beginning to get frustrated with it. Every good place I find isn't pet friendly, and I'm bringing my cat with me. I am also thinking about Browns Court. I talked to the owners the other day and I am thinking about sending them my deposit for the fall. Does anyone have any feedback about Browns Court? Conditions/noise level/ etc? I won't be able to come back to PEI again before school starts because I'm in Connecticut. Any feedback about Browns Court would be greatly appreciated!

Hi. There are definitely students that live in Brown's court. The noise level is more than other places since there are alot of undergrads in Brown's. If you're okay with that, then the nice thing about Brown's is it's closeness to the University. I've never lived there so I don't know too much about it. If you want more info, pm me and I'll put you in contact with someone who has lived in Brown's.
I also want to let you know that there's no huge rush to find a place. There will be apartments/houses available later in the summer. I know it's stressful to wait, but alot of the better listings don't crop up until May or June. Also remember that the Canadian students don't get their acceptances until the summer, and so far I haven't heard of anyone having too much difficulty finding a place. When I was looking for a place my 1st year, I think I found a place in late July, and it was pet friendly.

I understand we're all excited to get there, but maybe you guys should just cool it for a bit because I doubt all the properties available for next are even up yet so you might miss out on something great! All of us Atlantic Canadians won't even be looking until mid-June if we get in!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand we're all excited to get there, but maybe you guys should just cool it for a bit because I doubt all the properties available for next are even up yet so you might miss out on something great! All of us Atlantic Canadians won't even be looking until mid-June if we get in!!

Finding somewhere to live over the internet/phone is stressful! I need to get a jumpstart on it because I'm planning on moving late-July. I would like to get up there and get settled well before orientation starts. The first couple weeks of August are going to be like my vacation before school starts-I haven't had one in over 5 years. I'd like to explore all corners of the island before life gets so crazy all I have time for is books :).

No, I understand that nothing's really going to open up for a while yet but I figured I'd get a jump start on searching since I'm international. I'll probably start searching in earnest in June - I'd like to move in mid-August.

MABovines, thank you. I'll send you a PM :)

Hey AnimalHouse. Is that a greyhound? I have 2. Hope you get in.

The housing thing here can be difficult with dogs, but places will come up all summer. I do think now is better than Aug though because the 4th years are leaving town and many of them have pets. It sucks to pay all summer, but might be necessary. I'm in the process of trying to find a house that allows 2 dogs and 2 cats. I'm also trying to find a roommate or 2 who don't mind living with a non-trad 30 something who likes a clean kitchen and has 4 pets already! I've been living 20min out of town. The distance isn't too bad except for the $100/mth gas cost and it's impossible to get roommates out here. The house is way too expensive for one and I have to pay the heat. The dogs and I will miss the fenced yard. Hoping I can find something similar in the city, but no luck yet for the right price.

I may end up in Brown's myself. By the way, they have buildings reserved for vet/grad students. My friends live there and have had no noise issues. I know people in 1bdrm, 2 bdrm and townhouses with no complaints. Prices are I think $650, $800 and $1000 heated. Not sure if large dogs are allowed in the apartments. I know 1 bdrms are hard to get, so reserve early if you want one. Look up Killam Properties - Island Dale Estates to contact them.

Yep! that's my greyhound Twiggy! I've always wanted to get another one but I thought it might be too much; she has her greyhound pals to hang out with though on the weekends. I really hope I get in too so I'll have to make sure I do well in the interview. I don't know if I would bring her with me though even though I'm sure my mom will want me to.

Is anyone working on their student visas yet? I am trying to get my application done but I am torn as to where to send it. The Canadian website says it takes 44 weeks for the NYC office to process your application so I think I am gonna send my app to Washington D.C. Or buffalo or Detroit which take 5 to 6 weeks. I emailed and talked to someone on the Canadian embassy website/office and they couldn't answer my questions. What have current students done in the past? Also the application wants you to send proof of loans and I'm not sure what to send for this. Any tips?

Is anyone working on their student visas yet? I am trying to get my application done but I am torn as to where to send it. The Canadian website says it takes 44 weeks for the NYC office to process your application so I think I am gonna send my app to Washington D.C. Or buffalo or Detroit which take 5 to 6 weeks. I emailed and talked to someone on the Canadian embassy website/office and they couldn't answer my questions. What have current students done in the past? Also the application wants you to send proof of loans and I'm not sure what to send for this. Any tips?

Are you planning to drive to PEI? If you are, you can do your visa stuff once you cross the border on your way to school. I think it took me about 20-30 min to get all the forms filled out. It's easier to wait until you're at customs because by then you'll have all your proof of loans, etc. It's really easy to just deal with it then, especially if you plan to drive through the Houlton/Woodstock customs.

I know nothing about visas, but I can gree with MAbovines 100% about border crossings. If you're driving through Maine, take Houlton/Woodstock. Calais/St Stephen can be horrific during the summer. (Though, there is a chocolate factory there...)

Did you current students receive a list of supplies before you got to school? Do you have a list of textbooks you bought/were told to buy your first year? I wanted to see if any of them are any cheaper online...did anyone not buy something that they wish they had before they got to PEI because you can't find it easily? Thanks!

Did you current students receive a list of supplies before you got to school? Do you have a list of textbooks you bought/were told to buy your first year? I wanted to see if any of them are any cheaper online...did anyone not buy something that they wish they had before they got to PEI because you can't find it easily? Thanks!

I personally didn't buy too many books for 1st year because I borrowed any I needed from the library, but you will need a couple books for sure and they will definitely be cheaper to buy online:
- Saunders Comprehensive Veterinary Dictionary
- Guide to the Dissection of the Dog

That's all I can think of at the moment.

Sorry! I know I have a bajillion and a half questions for you guys that are in school right now. I was wondering what form your notes are in. Do you have a program like OneNote or do you receive big packets at the beginning of the semester from professors? Also, does anyone have tablet PCs that you find help or that are required? Thanks! :)

Sorry! I know I have a bajillion and a half questions for you guys that are in school right now. I was wondering what form your notes are in. Do you have a program like OneNote or do you receive big packets at the beginning of the semester from professors? Also, does anyone have tablet PCs that you find help or that are required? Thanks! :)

It varies a bit. Some have a packet (syllabus) they give you for the entire semester. Some hand out the powerpoints printed out each lecture. Most post the powerpoints, but a couple do not, especially the ones that have more than one intstructor like Behavior or Epidemiology. I haven't seen anyone use OneNote or a Tablet. Most people study from the handouts/powerpoints and don't take many notes in class.
Histology slides are available online which is really nice. I suggest starting your own powerpoints to study from right from the start of pics from the slides.

As for textbooks, on top of the 2 mentioned (which you definitely need), you might want the Pasquini - Anatomy of Domestic Animals. I used it more second semester because the goat/horse dissection guide isn't the greatest. Also used it for Structure and Function. Maybe the Textbook of Veterinary Physiology (Cunningham and Klein). I used it 1st semester, didn't have time 2nd. Some used books will be for sale in Sept from other students if you can wait that along.

Last edited:
Hi guys. I am currently a second year AVC student and were are looking for someone to lease our apartment starting May 1st. If any of you are interested, you can e-mail me at [email protected]. Its a 2 BR, accross from the university, quiet, allows pets. E-mail for more details.

Hello. I am the Housing Coordinator for the incoming Class of 2015. I have created a facebook page called "Atlantic Veterinary College Class of 2015". Accepted students can join and start posting there to find housing or roommates or just share info or ask questions.

I'll be in PEI this sunday and monday for my interview. PM me if anyone is in charlottetown and might wanna grab a coffee or dinner :)
edit: also in hali on saturday, late evening

I'll be in PEI this sunday and monday for my interview. PM me if anyone is in charlottetown and might wanna grab a coffee or dinner :)
edit: also in hali on saturday, late evening

Good luck to you! :D

Oh, as interviews are progressing, if people are passing through Halifax, I'm around for meet-ups. And HappyCats, I'll definitely see you June 2nd. I'm at 2pm, what time is yours?

Good luck to everyone with interviews in the near future! I'm starting to get really excited! Coquette, mine is right before yours I believe...1:15 if I remember correctly. One more month!!

Okay, so I know this is a bit premature but I was hoping if current students (or someone else knowledgable) would be able to answer: when/how do we get our university email address? I'm planning to ditch my hotmail account before starting in the fall (though still have a Gmail) but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm assuming sometime at orientation?

I've been wondering lately about how current students or other people applying have been going about looking at a loan/ line of credit. Do people go with the loans from government or a line of credit from a bank? If a line of credit with a bank, which bank is best? How much will you need? I haven't had a loan thus far so I have no clue how this stuff works...

I've been wondering lately about how current students or other people applying have been going about looking at a loan/ line of credit. Do people go with the loans from government or a line of credit from a bank? If a line of credit with a bank, which bank is best? How much will you need? I haven't had a loan thus far so I have no clue how this stuff works...
I've heard that both RBC and CIBC offer professional lines of credit to vet students. Can't really comment on which is better or any other details.
Contact both I guess and get the basic facts

Okay, so I know this is a bit premature but I was hoping if current students (or someone else knowledgable) would be able to answer: when/how do we get our university email address? I'm planning to ditch my hotmail account before starting in the fall (though still have a Gmail) but wanted to make sure I'm not missing something. I'm assuming sometime at orientation?

I'm not sure when the email address was actually set up. I didn't know how to check it for days :). Possibly after you register for courses. It's an @upei.ca address, usually first initial plus last name. Accessible through UPEI website under Current Students. Username is same as the email without the @upei.ca and they provide a password. Sorry I can't remember how I got the password either. Must have been in the paperwork I received.

Most of the Canadian banks give $20,000 per year for 4 years for Professional Student Credit line to vet students. Some may give even more. I used my own bank, RBC, but later heard that Scotiabank may have had a lower interest rate. You have to pay interest on the amount that you cash along the way unfortunately. Mine is 4%. I transfer what I need monthly to my savings online.

Also apply for government student loans over the summer. On those, you don't pay interest until after graduation. All the info you need to apply for Federal/Provincial loans are on their website. I don't know anything about American loan systems.

So today was the last day of interviews (I was the last spot :p). I met HappyCats who is very nice. I thought my interview went well, much better than last year. Some interesting highlights: 1) Canada Post strike - Jack said that if the strike is still in place when they're ready to send letters out, they will either scan the letters and email them, or call. 2) Letters will be more around the 20th this year, as one of their admissions committee staff is off for a few days. 3) Nova Scotia had only 12 seats available this year, so only 24 interviews went out this year instead of the regular 32 or so. So if you didn't get an interview, don't fret too much, you might get one next year. The odds were against you this year.

Well I'm glad you asked all these questions I was so out of it after I got out of my interview I completely forgot. Now it's just the waiting game I guess!! Good luck everyone :D

Thanks for the info, I was wondering about the postal strike

Yes, so was I. It was the first thing I was worrying about when I heard about the strike. On the bright side, if they do call/email, it means that everyone should find out at the same time, as opposed to spaced out due to mail times.

Glad to hear the interview went well, Coquette! I hope all you SDN'rs hear good news soon!

I've now heard from two different people that Jack said they're mailing out the letters tomorrow and also sending via email. So I guess that means at best, we know tomorrow and at worst, we know in a week. :eek::scared: Good luck everyone! :)

I've now heard from two different people that Jack said they're mailing out the letters tomorrow and also sending via email. So I guess that means at best, we know tomorrow and at worst, we know in a week. :eek::scared: Good luck everyone! :)

What?? No! I can't know tomorrow, I'm going to be gone all day tomorrow! :eek: