AVC Applicants c/o 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My plan is a... GO :D

Might as well replace some of my marks... and it also gives me time to look into doing a masters if things don't pan out. I'm feeling relieved right now.

And thanks Coquette! I don't mind paying you for it. I'll keep in touch. I might be going your way in April. We'll see.

Members don't see this ad.

Someone mentioned last year that Dal has a food chemistry course that counts as organic?

My old prof is encouraging me to sit in on organic II classes, even though I've dropped it. I think I'm going to do that for the rest of the semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have food chemistry courses, but I have no idea if they'd replace your organic for AVC's purposes. I'd really suggest asking Jack about that. We also have a class called "Organic and Biological (CHEM2441)", but I don't know if it would count. CHEM2441 does have a lab, though.

Can't remember whooooo said it, but on last year's thread, someone from Dal told me they took a food chemistry course and pulled like a 90 in it after getting a 60 in organic. I'll pull it up later today.

I already kind of talked to Jack about it. He said as long as it has enough of an emphasis on chemistry, it will count. Even a nutrition course will count if it has enough of an emphasis.

I've got plenty of time to worry about it.

I'm actually really nervous about going to a big school next year. I'm used to be in classes with 20 students. A friend of mine did his first year at Dal, and he said it very different from my university. He said it was like night and day. I had another friend who did her first year at MUN. She said the intro courses at MUN are more difficult than the intro courses here. Their professors expect a lot more out of you.

I've got a relative at SMU, so I'm looking into that school before I apply.

Radio2020 good luck to you I really hope you get accepted!!!! And good luck to the others as well!!! I was sad to not have been invited for an interview this year. I had not taken/retaken any class from last application cycle to this one....and I did not think it would be so bad as I thought I was in a good place last year at the time at which (feb 2 to be exact ;)) I rec'd my interview invite. I was really disappointed to not get invited this year....but others made GPA improvements and I did not. I just retook the GRE and got some more animal experience. Best of luck to all of you still waiting!!!

Tambotie.....call or email! Might as well, espcially since time is running out. I would and did last year and thats how I found out my file was incomplete. Just be sure to cover your bases and send an email. it can't hurt! thanks for the luck....I am so excited to find out. I have been accepted to Western and need to wrap my head around a choice, if there is even one to be made, and I am so excited to hear back from PEI. If I had the option to choose....I don't know how I could ever pass up AVC. Love that school!

ScarcelyHeard, I don't know for sure about Dal, but at the Agricultural College, people talked about doing that all the time. Dal's such a big school I have no doubt that they have something similar at least. I talked to one girl this year who said she didn't find it any easier than organic but she still did well in both organic and food chem. I think the fact that it will be a higher level class, so it will have less people, will work to your advantage. Good luck with the backup plan!

Last edited:
I've taken organic I twice and got halfway through organic II :rolleyes:
I don't know what CHEM2441 is, but I'll be sure to look it up!

Gotcha.

Urgh... going to a different university is going to be more hecktic than I thought. A friend sent me the link to SMU's course calendar. They have general Chemistry and Physics courses for the life sciences and not for the life sciences. I wonder if the material is different enough for me take these courses instead of taking an upper level course.

For example:
Physics for the Life Sciences (3 credits):
This algebra-based physics course offers an introduction to the foundations of physics. The emphasis is on the understanding and application of equations of motion, Newton‘s Laws, the nature of forces, and the extension to fluids. These ideas are applied to ―real world‖ situations, including biological systems.

My physics course (6 credits) was intended for the life sciences because it's algebra based, but we did mechanics, waves, electricity, magnetism, optics, and modern physics and didn't apply them to biological systems.

*groan* I do bad in one course and now I have to take calculus and calculus-based physics to make up for it. Calculus... I either have to do it through distance or audit it this spring.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
hey scarcely heard. When I applied to AVC I took my english prerequisite distance ed from Athabasca university. It was a very basic course, so much so that it wouldn't even transfer as credit to Mount A, where I did my undergrad. AVC had no problem accepting it though. I thinks it's worth looking at what they offer and see if you can pick something up from there.

The Physics for Life Sciences at SMU is easy, the prof is usually Kevin Brown and he's great and everything is really straight forward. He's also generous on his tests, show your work and you do awesome. On one of our midterms all of my answers were wrong and I got a 90% it wasn't too difficult to get my A+ in that class. Also for General Chem at SMU don't be deterred by the use of the words Life Sciences and Physical Sciences they are identical it's the prof you have to worry about, avoid Pye at all costs.

At our interviews we were told to expect to hear around end of March/early April, so I wouldn't worry about it too much yet :) Last year's acceptances thread shows people didn't hear until 4/1. Fingers crossed for you!

uggg I hate this waiting! I think my interview went well... but we shall see :rolleyes:

Can anyone point me towards a bus shuttle company that runs daily between halifax and charlottetown ?

Way too expensive to buy flight tickets to PEI, no way i'm bothering

Pretty sure acadian lines would run from Halifax to Charlottetown. Not to sure about daily though.

Any one else have an interview on May 26th, Finally got my letter today!!!:)

Last edited:
Congratulations Newfoundland!! Interview on May 2nd that is a month earlier than me!!!! It seems crazy that the interviews would carry on for so long... but I guess there are quite a few to do :scared:

ACCEPTED! I am over the moon! Good luck to all waiting and interviewing!

Congratulations Newfoundland!! Interview on May 2nd that is a month earlier than me!!!! It seems crazy that the interviews would carry on for so long... but I guess there are quite a few to do :scared:

There's a lot to do, and they only interview 3 a day, so it takes awhile to get through them all.

New Foundland: I found this company that does a shuttle service http://www.peishuttle.com/. There's also Acadian Lines like dunlopin said. And a piece of advice if you're flying into Halifax: our airport is way outside of the city (ignore me if you know this already).

ETA: Yaay radio2020!

Congrats New Foundland :D So happy for you!

(Btw, I think I'm going to apply to SMU instead of Dal. I've heard more positive things about SMU than Dal... I'm also under the impression that it's more like the university I'm at now... profs seem to take more of an interest in students and not as competitive... and anyone wants to prove me wrong there, feel free to send me a PM.)

The vet school gods have spoken.

I have to take something totally off the wall (like astronomy!) in order to replace my physics mark... or take calculus and take some a second year course. Dal has astronomy. SMU doesn't. If Dal doesn't let me stargaze (because that counts as a lab) then I'm out of luck. So Dal it is.

This whole thing makes no sense to me. I want to be a vet... so I have to get a good mark in astronomy in order to do so. :confused:

Coincidently, astronomy is being offered at my university this spring... but I can't get away with taking two courses AND working (because AVC considers two courses in the summer semester a full course load?)

I'm thinking it might be easier to let my pre-reqs expire and just take everything over again.

Next year is going to be VERY interesting.

The whole situation is making me lol.

So kids... the moral of the story is to do very well in your pre-reqs, or you will be sent on a wild goose chase to make up for your mistakes :laugh: I bet this is why a lot of people who don't get in go to tech school when they graduate.

I wanted to be an astronaut when I was 9. Might as well use next year to take courses I'm interested in, whether they mesh with my major or not. Astonomy? SURE. Drawing? SURE. Calculus? SURE. Abnormal psychology? SURE. Developmental Biology? (my heart belongs to biology)

Last edited:
Ooh, haven't been on here in a while - congrats to everyone who got good news! SecondOpinion, thatredhead, radio2020 - look forward to meeting you in the fall!

SH, glad to see you're being proactive and making plans - it must feel better now that you know what you'll be doing next year, eh? Does SMU really not have an astronomy class you can take? I know they have a big observatory and offer degrees in anstronomy...

Thanks, RLH - I'll see you in the Fall :)

SH, I'm sorry to hear about the physics. I ended up having to retake some classes myself (although not only for AVC but for other schools I was applying to as well) and I feel your pain. The way I looked at it was something I just had to put my head down and get through and I made it :) To be honest, astrology sounds a whole lot better than plain ol' physics I and/or II!

SH, glad to see you're being proactive and making plans - it must feel better now that you know what you'll be doing next year, eh? Does SMU really not have an astronomy class you can take? I know they have a big observatory and offer degrees in anstronomy...

:eek: Maybe it's because I was expecting to find it under "Physics" instead of "Astronomy". My bad.

Had nooo idea they had an observatory!

Yea SH I would be very surprised if you couldn't take astronomy at SMU we have a pretty good Astronomy and Physics Department and some great profs! I may just be partial to SMU and how great it is though...:rolleyes:

I applied to SMU. It says right on the website that the astronomy course I need has a "lab".

Still baffled by why I need to take astronomy. Also, still laughing hysterically.

Congrats Radio2020!!!! I am so excited for you!!!! Good luck!!!!! :)

Still baffled by why I need to take astronomy. Also, still laughing hysterically.
:laugh: I actually met a girl in cell biology last semester who had a degree in chemistry and was upgrading some of her classes to apply to AVC (she applied this round, no idea if she got an interview I haven't seen her since the class ended). She was taking astronomy to replace her physics mark too.

:laugh: I actually met a girl in cell biology last semester who had a degree in chemistry and was upgrading some of her classes to apply to AVC (she applied this round, no idea if she got an interview I haven't seen her since the class ended). She was taking astronomy to replace her physics mark too.

Glad I'm not alone :)

Next year is going to be sooooo weird: looks like I'll be taking astronomy, green chemistry, organic II, introduction to acting.... all to try to get into vet school. The only thing that makes sense is organic. The rest I'm just *headdesking* over... because in all honesty, I'd rather take physics for the life sciences, general chemistry and another composition course over astronomy, green chemistry and acting.

Glad I'm not alone :)

Next year is going to be sooooo weird: looks like I'll be taking astronomy, green chemistry, organic II, introduction to acting.... all to try to get into vet school. The only thing that makes sense is organic. The rest I'm just *headdesking* over... because in all honesty, I'd rather take physics for the life sciences, general chemistry and another composition course over astronomy, green chemistry and acting.

Reaaly good choice taking Green Chem, the prof is Dr. Clyburne and he is really nice and the class is really interesting and really easy. Also for Organic, Vaughan is really good just do the practice problems he gives and you're fine they are exactly what he tests. For the lab though go with Dr. Adam Piorko, by far my top prof I have had at Saint Mary's, he grades the labs easy, he is funny, and genuinely cares!! Best of luck next year!!

Reaaly good choice taking Green Chem, the prof is Dr. Clyburne and he is really nice and the class is really interesting and really easy. Also for Organic, Vaughan is really good just do the practice problems he gives and you're fine they are exactly what he tests. For the lab though go with Dr. Adam Piorko, by far my top prof I have had at Saint Mary's, he grades the labs easy, he is funny, and genuinely cares!! Best of luck next year!!

Thanks a million :) I might have to PM you once I'm officially accepted and need to register for courses. There are some biology courses I'd like to take, so I may need some input on those.

THANKS Tambotie! I am so excited! How are you?

Is there another thread about the interview, like potential questions and all that stuff?

THANKS Tambotie! I am so excited! How are you?

I am good! Thanks for asking Radio!!!! BTW - My app was complete. I guess they were not okay this year with my non-trad status so to speak...working 50 hours a week and taking 2 or 3 science pre-req classes only (plus getting various animal experience on Fridays and weekends (a 2-3 hours drive from here) did not constitute full time student status. I provided the same letter this year as I had last year...but apparently this year it was a weakness in my application..not a full-time student. Now way back when when I was doing my undergrad...I guess I worked 25-30 hours a week but I was a waitress and had flexibility....now little to no flexibility. I wish they UPEI could understand the time management involved in 2-3 sciences classes my work schedule and getting animal experience. Plus not to mention the additional extracurricular/volunteer stuff.... I mean, I was busy. ..I wasn't just sitting around. ;)

I am good! Thanks for asking Radio!!!! BTW - My app was complete. I guess they were not okay this year with my non-trad status so to speak...working 50 hours a week and taking 2 or 3 science pre-req classes only (plus getting various animal experience on Fridays and weekends (a 2-3 hours drive from here) did not constitute full time student status. I provided the same letter this year as I had last year...but apparently this year it was a weakness in my application..not a full-time student. Now way back when when I was doing my undergrad...I guess I worked 25-30 hours a week but I was a waitress and had flexibility....now little to no flexibility. I wish they UPEI could understand the time management involved in 2-3 sciences classes my work schedule and getting animal experience. Plus not to mention the additional extracurricular/volunteer stuff.... I mean, I was busy. ..I wasn't just sitting around. ;)

Sucks to hear :(

Thanks scarcelyheard. And I just mention the part of my app b/c is that is basically what I learned when I was trying to get some details the other day of my app status from Sharon. It is just so frustrating. I feel darn if do and darn if don't. ;) Not mentioned my work is really busy and mentally draining (sr. financial analyst) AND I sit in traffic 45 minutes to an hour each way Monday - Friday. Urgh!!!

But I am a firm believer in things happen for a reason and so I guess it was not meant to be. I wish you good luck on your next application cycle!!!! You will do great...it sounds like you are really building up your application.

The application process for this school is rigged. Can't work, can't go to grad school, can't retake courses... it's frusterating. Some days I want to pull my hair out over it... but it can't be any worse than the application process for some of the schools in the states.

Best of luck to you too :) I hope some adcom out there looks at how hard you've worked and offers you a seat!

If Lab Rat is still around... what are your plans for next year?

I was thinking too there was a conspiracy of sorts this year. ;)

I was accepted to Glasgow so that is where I will be going. I am totally happy and fine with this!!! :) I just have to sell my stuff. ;)

If Lab Rat is still around... what are your plans for next year?
Of course I'm still around....you didn't expect to get rid of me that easily now did you?:p

My plans for next year are still all over the place. I've applied to work with a few vets that I'm still waiting to hear from. I'm also looking for full time (permanant or term) lab work hopefully in a federal lab or somewhere else that pays well. I'm willing to re-locate to PEI or Alberta for the right job (to eventually gain residency in case next year doesn't pan out either) So, if all goes well I'll either be back to being a lab rat (hence my name) or working with a vet, or both :)

I'm also thinking about doing a Master's. The only way I'd do that though is if I can get a stippend and have it focus on dairy cow reproduction. I'm aware that AVC won't look at grad school grades so it's more of a back up for myself.

On top of all that, I'm still volunteering for a bunch of organizations both animal and non animal/community work. And I'm pretty sure I'll be going to Worcester MA (my bro lives there) for 3 weeks in July/August to take a GRE Prep course and of course re-write the GRE and kick its a** once and for all!

No more undergrad for me! My lowest mark is a 65 and it's organic chem. If I end up doing my Master's then I may consider replacing it with undergrad food chem, but that's a huge maybe.

So, that's my next year or two in a nutshell.

:xf:Fingers crossed for us for AVC's c/o 2016!!! Good luck!