AVC c/o 2022 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted!!!! I’m literally shaking with excitement at work right now!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats everyone! So excited for you guys!

Does anyone happen to know where I can find information regarding students with spouses?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone happen to know where I can find information regarding students with spouses?

Last year I was told it was difficult to bring spouses, mainly due to the lack of jobs, or Islanders not wanting to hire international workers. The only thing mentioned in our welcome PDF about spouses was:
After arriving in Canada, a student’s spouse may work temporarily, but only after applying for and receiving a Work Permit from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).​

You could try contacting the school for more info, or maybe someone else on here can help further.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anybody remember how many international applicants they said they had. They told us at the interview and I forget. I think it was in the 300s this year or something.

does anyone know if people actually get off the interview waitlist lol

Reactions: 2 users
does anyone know if people actually get off the interview waitlist lol
From what Sharon has told me, they tend to exhaust their alternate list. So I think those who are alternates may still have a good chance as long as the alternate list moves fast this year.

So are most of YoY waiting to hear from other schools?

So are most of YoY waiting to hear from other schools?

Yes I’m waiting to hear back from a few schools and I also have 3 more interviews to go on. But I loved the school and atmosphere at AVC and could deffinately see myself ending up there even if I get accepted into a US school!!

1 more interview and then waiting on 6 other schools...
I had 3 interviews but declined because I didn’t like them as much as AVC (I also have family in PEI)

Does anyone happen to know if anyone on the IW gets asked to interview soon? I have a friend on the interview waitlist and she’s dying to know!

Members don't see this ad :)
I had 3 interviews but declined because I didn’t like them as much as AVC (I also have family in PEI)

Does anyone happen to know if anyone on the IW gets asked to interview soon? I have a friend on the interview waitlist and she’s dying to know!

Students have until April 15th to claim a seat, I was under the impression that they would get back to waitlisted candidates after that deadline if there are seats available.

Update: she recieved a rejection yesterday via email.

Update: she recieved a rejection yesterday via email.

Im sorry, :( your friend on the interview waitlist was rejected? I thought they would just leave us on it until after the 15th of April?

Im sorry, :( your friend on the interview waitlist was rejected? I thought they would just leave us on it until after the 15th of April?

to be quite honest, I'm not really sure what is going on. On the bright side, she did recieve an offer to SGU last week :clap:

Reactions: 4 users
well in that case, congrats to her!

That is confusing. I sent them my fall grades and just am leaving it at that until April/may. I did not realize they would pull you off the interview waitlist prior to this date.

Hi everyone! Anyone know when Atlantic canadian residents find out about interviews?

Hi everyone! Anyone know when Atlantic canadian residents find out about interviews?

Looking back in the 2021 and 2020 threads, Atlantic Canada residents found out towards the end of March!

It is -extremely- difficult for spouses to find work on PEI. You need a work permit to get a job, but you need a job offer to get a work permit. Islanders preferentially hire Islanders; there's also the drawback that they know you'll be leaving in 4 years or sooner. There are also not many jobs at all and those that become available are either seasonal or less desirable due to the island's economy. For example, a classmate wanted to bring her partner and he was basically able to get a job at the fish processing plant and that was it. Worth an email to Sharon but unfortunately not a very optimistic outlook.

I was told the admissions committee meets by mid march, so we should get answers by the end of the second or third week of March. :)

I’m in first year (Atlantic Canadian) and last year I got an email inviting me to an interview on St. Patrick’s Day. The interview was May 1 and I got my acceptance email on June 15th. Good luck! I hope you get an interview :) feel free to message me if you get an interview and want to talk about it or have questions!

For those of you accepted last year who are Atlantic Canadian residents, what was your GRE score if you don't mind me asking? I think mine is high enough (combined with my GPA) to ensure an interview but I guess I'm a little nervous!

Anyone hear anything about the alternate list moving?

Has anyone made a facebook page for accepted students??

Have you decided yet?
I put my deposit in because I'm on the waitlist for the other 2 schools I interviewed at: Kansas State and Western. I prefer AVC over Western, so theyre out. But if I get into Kansas, I'll likely go there. Cost of living is low and it would be much easier for my SO to find a job. I hear that can be difficult.

If I'm not called off the waitlist for Kansas, I'm perfectly happy though. I totally fell in love with Charlottetown and I could see us fitting in really well there. Not to mention we both play hockey and there's much more hockey in Canada than there is in Kansas!

For those who have interviewed, what kind of questions did they ask you? Also for the females that interviewed, what do you recommend wearing?

For those who have interviewed, what kind of questions did they ask you? Also for the females that interviewed, what do you recommend wearing?

They asked me 1. What field are you interested in 2. Name zoonotic diseases and give me a clinical description of the disease 3. what are two challenges that you have personally seen veterinarians face. 3. How would you handle these challenges if you experienced them 4. What is the role of a veterinarian in society?

As for dress code, I highly recommend business casual. Pants, button-down top or a blouse that is tasteful and closed toes shoes. At the November interview, there were a notable number of students who have not dressed appropriately: I saw one girl with a spaghetti strapped short dress, one wore washed out denim jeans and ugg booties, another wore leggings, someone also wore black strappy heels and a cocktail-like dress with a plunging (and I really mean plunging) neckline.:wow: You can tell the ad-com seemed a little disappointed.

This being said, you are giving them a first impression. Show them that you are not only smart, well spoken, and knowledgeable about the veterinary career, but also that you can dress prepared to be a leader in the field. As my aunt would put it (she did interviews for law school) If you're trying to convey that you deserve to be in a professional program, dress to prove it.:horns:

Here's a link to help guide the dressing process.

Cheers!

They asked me 1. What field are you interested in 2. Name zoonotic diseases and give me a clinical description of the disease 3. what are two challenges that you have personally seen veterinarians face. 3. How would you handle these challenges if you experienced them 4. What is the role of a veterinarian in society?

As for dress code, I highly recommend business casual. Pants, button-down top or a blouse that is tasteful and closed toes shoes. At the November interview, there were a notable number of students who have not dressed appropriately: I saw one girl with a spaghetti strapped short dress, one wore washed out denim jeans and ugg booties, another wore leggings, someone also wore black strappy heels and a cocktail-like dress with a plunging (and I really mean plunging) neckline.:wow: You can tell the ad-com seemed a little disappointed.

This being said, you are giving them a first impression. Show them that you are not only smart, well spoken, and knowledgeable about the veterinary career, but also that you can dress prepared to be a leader in the field. As my aunt would put it (she did interviews for law school) If you're trying to convey that you deserve to be in a professional program, dress to prove it.:horns:

Here's a link to help guide the dressing process.

Cheers!
Jeans?! You gotta be kidding me. Why bother spending the money to come to the interview if you're not going to take it seriously... Like, try a little.

I wore a tasteful, simple dress that covered all the goods. A blazer over top of that and boots. Muted tones mostly. A little color just to stand out a little, but nothing crazy overwhelming/distracting.

They asked me a lot of the same questions. They asked me about a problem in the field that I've experienced or come across. I talked about the mental health issue in the field. Burnout and suicide rates. They asked what was done in both clinics where I work to combat that. I also told them that I make sure to spend time doing things outside of vet med (hiking, painting, etc) to ensure my mental well-being. I think they liked that I knew what I was getting myself into and had a plan to address common problems like that. I also talked about the hesitation of owners with regards to vaccines. Education is the foundation of good medicine!

I wore a pantsuit last year for my interview, as did some other women but a majority wore skirts or dresses. I was amazed by how many people were not appropriately dressed, and I saw the same thing when I was giving tours during interview day a few months ago. The weather might not be the nicest, and you will be walking through two barns.

I cannot recall too much from my interview but there were questions about dealing with stress and what to do about it, what are the different roles a veterinarian can play, how to deal with conflict in the workplace etc. I had nothing related to my experience except when they asked me to expand on something. My roommate on the other hand, talked a lot about cows and raw milk dairies in her interview.

Jeans?! You gotta be kidding me. Why bother spending the money to come to the interview if you're not going to take it seriously... Like, try a little.

Yup. Denim jeans and tan ugg booties. The young woman was sitting next to me and my spouse during the introduction when Dr. Keefe was talking about the weather. At first, I thought she was there for moral support for a brother/sister/boyfriend until her dad was engaged in conversation with my s/o and told us otherwise. I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt like her luggage was lost or the dog ate it or something... :shrug:

I’ve committed to AVC!!! Sent in my deposit today!

Reactions: 5 users
Only 2-3 more weeks until I find out if I got an interview or not. Trying not to get my hopes up because my grades last year were horrible and this cycle was just a practice run but you never know I guess?

Only 2-3 more weeks until I find out if I got an interview or not. Trying not to get my hopes up because my grades last year were horrible and this cycle was just a practice run but you never know I guess?
I hope you get an interview!!

New SDN member! I am a US citizen and on the alternate list. Fingers crossed!

Reactions: 3 users
Hello! I just found this forum. I'm applying from NL this year and am pretty worried about my odds. I read somewhere that people say it's easier to go through NB or PEI, anyone else have any insight?

New SDN member! I am a US citizen and on the alternate list. Fingers crossed!

Hello and welcome! Once April hits the waitlist will move pretty fast (coming from a waitlist survivor). Good luck- I'm hoping for the best for you.

Hello! I just found this forum. I'm applying from NL this year and am pretty worried about my odds. I read somewhere that people say it's easier to go through NB or PEI, anyone else have any insight?

Hello and welcome to you as well! I'm from the US so I cannot really attest to how easy or not it is to get into AVC from NL, all I know is how many seats are offered per province (ie: 10 PEI, 13 NB, 3 NL, and 16 NS). I would think it would be "easier" to get in when there are more seats offered for that province but it is likely going to depend on how many other applicants they have, and what each person brings GPA/GRE/experience wise, etc.

Hello and welcome! Once April hits the waitlist will move pretty fast (coming from a waitlist survivor). Good luck- I'm hoping for the best for you.
Thank you! That is encouraging. In the mean time, I will continue to compulsively check my e-mail.

I thought there was only 2 from NL so you just increased my odds :laugh: based on those numbers the odds for NS and NB are about the same but theoretically you have much better odds coming from PEI. Maybe I'll try moving there for a year if I don't get in :shrug:

I thought there was only 2 from NL so you just increased my odds :laugh: based on those numbers the odds for NS and NB are about the same but theoretically you have much better odds coming from PEI. Maybe I'll try moving there for a year if I don't get in :shrug:

Haha, you're welcome!? I am sure it is 3 though, because those were the stats I was given to tell on interview day for part of my tour- otherwise I would not have known the breakdown. Also, I'll be rooting for you, and everyone else here with getting in! And the option of moving if you do not get it, is not a bad idea. Several of my classmates moved to PEI for that exact reason.

I haven't seen one. The incoming student thing says to check back in thr spring.

For those of you accepted, I have been made aware that the Facebook page is up and running for your class! The link is on the incoming student page, but the admins should also be sending invites out as they are given your names!

Does anyone know when Atlantic Canadian residents should expect to hear about interviews? Are rejection and acceptance letters sent out on the same day? thanks!

Does anyone know when Atlantic Canadian residents should expect to hear about interviews? Are rejection and acceptance letters sent out on the same day? thanks!
I just checked my email and had a rejection letter. So most likely they are. :( Good luck to you!