Away Rotations/Chicago Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gaschicago

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to get an opinion on Chicago Anesthesiology Residency programs? I've read some interesting things about NW and UChicago but wanted to see if there were any recent changes to the programs. Also wanted to get applicants/recent matched applicants' opinions on away rotations.

A little about me:

Step 1: 235-240
Step 2: unknown
Clinical grades: mix of H, NH and P
Research: 1 publication not related to anesthesia while in medical school

Ideally looking to match into Chicago. Should I do an away rotation and if so where? At this time likely months for away would be July or mid September depending on my schedule. Any thoughts will be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Didn't do aways at either but interviewed at both. Both seemed like solid programs. From what I gathered, UChicago probably has stronger cardiac and critical care. Northwestern has better OB almost as to a fault as this seems to be the main reason for being placed on probation. NW is in a bit of a transition phase compared to UChicago. But NW is in a nicer area of Chicago. Both are well respected nationally. Based on your stats, I'd say you're competitive for both. You'll just have to see which program you feel you fit in better with during interviews/away rotations. If your strongly considering both, I'd recommend doing aways at both to get a sense of how you like each program. I didn't do an away at the program that ended up being my second choice and regretted not having that month to help determine my rank list.

Didn't do aways at either but interviewed at both. Both seemed like solid programs. From what I gathered, UChicago probably has stronger cardiac and critical care. Northwestern has better OB almost as to a fault as this seems to be the main reason for being placed on probation. NW is in a bit of a transition phase compared to UChicago. But NW is in a nicer area of Chicago. Both are well respected nationally. Based on your stats, I'd say you're competitive for both. You'll just have to see which program you feel you fit in better with during interviews/away rotations. If your strongly considering both, I'd recommend doing aways at both to get a sense of how you like each program. I didn't do an away at the program that ended up being my second choice and regretted not having that month to help determine my rank list.

Thanks for your insight! I'll consider doing an away at one of them definitely. If you dont mind me asking what were your stats like and how did interview season go? Feel free to PM if you'd like. Just trying to gauge my competitiveness. Thanks!