***AZCOM Class of 2010!!!****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Whats up everyone?
I am currently overseas and can't call housing to find out, but I recall reading that we won't be able to move into our apartments (on campus) until September 1st...and orientation starts like a week before that. For you guys staying in the on-campus apartments, what exactly are you going to do for that week? I was going to try to request them to pro-rate it for the last week of August. Do we have any other options?

Members don't see this ad.

goinverted said:
What about getting a motorcycle? Seems more realistic to have one in AZ than in snowy UT

I don't know anything about motorcycles other than the fact my wife would kill me if I ever got on one or bought one. There are always a couple of students in each class that own one. They seem to be fine.

norcaldoc said:
Hi all. I'm just curious what everyone is doing for housing next year. I was planing on living in the campus apartments but I recently found out that they are all full... MS2's, any suggestions on good, CHEAP apartments?

The Isle apartments on the 67th and Beardsley are CHEAP...well relatively cheap. There are some more apartments that you can see off the 101 freeway as you keep heading West/South (It's a loop), I heard those are cheap. But if you really want to save money, I would consider moving in with someone. There are a lot of MS II's with homes that are looking for roommates next year. They will usually offer you a good deal. Inquiring Mind aka Matt lived with someone. And you will learn that a lot of MS I's will purchase homes this summer and will look for roommates so if you would prefer to live with someone in your own class, that's a possibility as well.

San Lagos is a good complex. The reason I advocate San Lagos is that it's a Mark-Taylor apartment. They have several properties in the Phoenix Metro and they are well managed. It's like flying on Southwest Airlines, if something goes bad, the management is good so you know they will compensate for it somehow. They are organized and they do a good job with screening tennants such as not allowing 18 year old ASU West students to live there. I am at San Prado and it's the same thing as San Lagos but it's a little more expensive albeit more new.

okayplayer said:
I have heard from friends of mine currently in school that I should buy a set of board review books (ie. First Aid, etc.) early in MS1 and use those to review for my classes for board-relevancy? What do you guys think about that.

I would hesitate to do this. I inherited and purchased every single BRS and High-Yield book prior to starting and I occassionally looked at the BRS Physiology book and Anatomy book for their test questions. I agree with Matt in that the BRS Physiology (light blue book) was worth it. That's it. You will just be overwhelmed with your notes that you won't have time to truly read those books. BUT, I would recommend purchasing First-Aid and annotating in that. No, I don't do this but I have been told my MS II's to do that. None of the MS II's that I know of have advocated studying board books alongside your notes. Most importantly, you just won't have time to go to Scottsdale with Matt and I and watch Sopranos with Matt and I. Choose wisely

siriceman64 said:
Anybody know how long it is really hot in the fall? How hot is hot? What should I expect from the fall weather in AZ? (Still on the provisional acceptance list, assuming I'll be "in" soon)

It's hot. I feel September is just an extension of August and the 100 degree weather doesn't stop until late September. It really depends on the year. This was a "mild" year because it started cooling down in late September this year but I remember years where it doesn't cool down until mid-October. However, you get used to it so that agonizing feeling you get when you first arrive on campus doesn't last for 2 months or anything. It's really not that bad because the mornings and evenings are tolerable. The afternoons are hot but you will be in lecture or a freezing anatomy lab.

gusterbyu said:
I've also read that there is a DO/PhD program at AZCOM, but I haven't heard anything about it. Not like I wanted to do it, but I was wondering if anyone was thinking about it, or doing it. Anyone???

I know it exists. I know several people who have completed masters degrees prior to starting in the DO program. I don't know anyone who has or is currently pursing the combined DO/PhD program. I looked into it and they have a deal associated with ASU. That's how it works. I do know in general that a combined MD-DO/PhD lasts on average 7 years. My brother-in-law is currently completing one. He completed the first two years of medical school (basic sciences) and then he went straight to the lab. He has been working in the lab now for 3 years and has elected to do a 4th year. He won't start his MS III year until his 5th year so for him, the program was 8 years. I think that's why a lot of people avoid doing the combined program. You can still do research as a DO without having a PhD. It takes on average 7 years to complete (3 years research + 4 years medical school). I think this is a major reason why people are not attracted to the program. I know if you were interested, they would pretty much take you. Dr. Glenn Bell is the coordinator for that program and he is located in the College of Health Sciences. He heads up the masters program there. His office is in Ocotillo Hall.

I'M in...Guess I gotta join this crowd now and start the apartment hunting...

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally Posted by okayplayer
I have heard from friends of mine currently in school that I should buy a set of board review books (ie. First Aid, etc.) early in MS1 and use those to review for my classes for board-relevancy? What do you guys think about that.

Oh dear god do not do this. I am a grad of AZCOM and almost to be done with my intern year, and that is just way too much. You can study in your second year. I think First Aid is a crappy book, but some of my classmates loved it. Go figure.

Study the note packets for your tests. You will get virtually all of the info you need from those. If you are not a leacture person, you can not go to class and do very well by studying note packets and the books. My good buddy graduated in the top 10 by doing this. Our valedictorian, however, went to every class. So there are different learning styles for different people. I am a class-goer myslef, and occasionally there are tidbits that are emphasized that helped me cut down my studying a lot.

DO NOT think that your secrets will be sacred among you new classmates. Gossip spreads like wildfire. If you don't want people to know, don't say it out loud.

Help each other. Our class started a website and we posted old tests, quizzes, study guides, etc. I think there might be some sort of new thing going on with the websites, but my understanding is that they are not posting old exams. Those will really really help your studying. Share these amongst the class, and you will all benefit.

kristing said:
Originally Posted by okayplayer

Oh dear god do not do this. I am a grad of AZCOM and almost to be done with my intern year, and that is just way too much. You can study in your second year. I think First Aid is a crappy book, but some of my classmates loved it. Go figure.

Study the note packets for your tests. You will get virtually all of the info you need from those. If you are not a leacture person, you can not go to class and do very well by studying note packets and the books. My good buddy graduated in the top 10 by doing this. Our valedictorian, however, went to every class. So there are different learning styles for different people. I am a class-goer myslef, and occasionally there are tidbits that are emphasized that helped me cut down my studying a lot.

DO NOT think that your secrets will be sacred among you new classmates. Gossip spreads like wildfire. If you don't want people to know, don't say it out loud.

Help each other. Our class started a website and we posted old tests, quizzes, study guides, etc. I think there might be some sort of new thing going on with the websites, but my understanding is that they are not posting old exams. Those will really really help your studying. Share these amongst the class, and you will all benefit.

hi kristing! I graduate from AZCOM in 3 weeks - I met Kristing on this website almost 4 years ago! I disagree a little with her advice though. I would buy one board review book at the beginning of MS1 year - like first aid and leave it in your bathroom. Every time you go to the bathroom for the following 2 years read a page or 2. By the time comes for boards you will have read 1st aid like 20 times without ever really taking time to study.

I also think it is a good idea to buy board review books instead of text books. Like buy the lippincott biochemistry review book for biochem or microbiology made ridiculously simple for micro. Of course a good anatomy atlas is important - I recommend also getting Rohan (real pictures not drawings) it will minimize the time you need to spend in the actual anatomy lab.

I went to class every day the first quarter - then I got pregnant and pretty much quit going to class did fine both ways. Although I still think my grade in neuroanatomy was a small miracle!

This is a really exciting time for you guys - good luck.

Sugar72 said:
I would buy one board review book at the beginning of MS1 year - like first aid and leave it in your bathroom. Every time you go to the bathroom for the following 2 years read a page or 2. By the time comes for boards you will have read 1st aid like 20 times without ever really taking time to study.

Ok, this is a good idea. But notice, she didn't say to study the board review book anywhere else but the bathroom. That's actually a great idea. I think I did this for a month before boards with one book - shoot what was it - the one with all of the little tidbits in it - anyway - and it helped.

But the main point here is, that you can do it lots of ways and still succeed. I didn't really study hard for boards until after 2nd year ended. So 2 weeks total. (I did 2 Saturdays before the end of the year). And I crammed for about 6-8 hours every day for those 2 weeks and I did better than a lot of people I know who did much more extensive studying. At least on COMLEX. We don't discuss my USMLE score as it is a pathetic thing.

Man what the hell has gotten into me? I am so soapboxy. I'll get off now.

rahulazcom said:
I know if you were interested, they would pretty much take you. Dr. Glenn Bell is the coordinator for that program and he is located in the College of Health Sciences. He heads up the masters program there. His office is in Ocotillo Hall.

I couldn't find Dr. Glenn Bell on the AZCOM website's faculty listing...any contact info you could provide? Might as well find out as much as I can before life gets too hectic.

v3rbal said:
I couldn't find Dr. Glenn Bell on the AZCOM website's faculty listing...any contact info you could provide? Might as well find out as much as I can before life gets too hectic.

You're actually wise to be inquiring about this now because I think you are expected to apply to it now. Here is a link

http://www.midwestern.edu/az-biomed/

And call the main number and ask to be connected to Dr. Bell at (623) 572-3200. . Good Luck! Dr. Bell is a very nice man so give him my regards.

Thanks everyone for the advice, that’s good stuff. Keep it going if you’ve got more! :thumbup: :thumbup: Did any of you do work/study over the summer break, or move back home and work? I hear they can compensate you 10/hr if you do hours in a hospital during the summer, but I'm not sure if that's for those with prior training or for those of us loser 1st years with no marketable skill for work in a hospital.

gusterbyu said:
Thanks everyone for the advice, that’s good stuff. Keep it going if you’ve got more! :thumbup: :thumbup: Did any of you do work/study over the summer break, or move back home and work? I hear they can compensate you 10/hr if you do hours in a hospital during the summer, but I'm not sure if that's for those with prior training or for those of us loser 1st years with no marketable skill for work in a hospital.

I took time off between 1st and 2nd year, except for the Women's Health class, which was awesome, btw, and I am so glad I did. You can also be a TA for the PAs in the anatomy lab, but I decided not to do this. It requires an application and a decent grade in anatomy lab. It pays ok. I never heard of getting paid for hospital work, though.

Here's some more advice. If Wagman is still teaching Behavioral sci, DO NOT buy those damn books. He says they are required then never gives you any reading out of them. His tests are all based on his lectures.

Ask away if you've got any more questions, my month right now is pretty light, and I actually have time to answer!

gusterbyu said:

I tutored biochemistry for the PA students in between first and second year. I also got a job working for the perfusionist department. There are several on campus jobs in the secretarial arena - like for the different departments or student services. There are also tutoring jobs. In addition you can get paid for a lot of volunteer work. If you voluteer at the children's hospital you can get paid for that, you can also get paid for doing health fair's. All of this stuff is however related to work study - so you have a maximum you can earn based on your work study award. I maxed mine out my ms1 and ms2 years. THere are a limited number of research opportunities to work in one of the faculty member's labs for a summer research - I didn't do that so I don't know the amount. There are some off campus things too. A local massage school usually hires a medical student to teach anatomy to their students, some local doctors doing research might need funded assistants. I new someone who actually started in KristinG's class and decellerated to my class so she could work part time with a public health organization on some research project (Elise).
I wish I would have thought ahead and gotten a CNA or EMT certification and then I could have taken some shifts for extra money. If you have spare time in the next couple of months those might be options too.

Also - I think that the pay for regular on campus work was $10 an hour, but for community health related stuff - like at the children's hospital and health fairs it was $12 and hour. To get paid for that stuff you have to have a sponsor and fill out some paperwork in the financial aid office.

Where are all of you married people going to live the this fall. I have thought about getting into a home, but if that doesn't work out, it would be fun to stay in the same apartment complex as some of you guys.

goinverted said:
Where are all of you married people going to live the this fall. I have thought about getting into a home, but if that doesn't work out, it would be fun to stay in the same apartment complex as some of you guys.
We have room for you in good old West Des Moines.
Oh wait, no we don't. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
goinverted said:

My wife, daughter, and I are probably going to live at San Lagos.

goinverted said:

Marley Park in Surprise...exactly 15 miles from campus. It's an incredible master-planned community with tons of amenities and a great school.

Housing goes from townhomes to 5 bedrooms on 1/3 acre lot...all within the same neighborhood :thumbup: .

Here is the link. BTW...many builders currently have smokin' deals on spec homes...quick move-in and save $$.

Marley Park

Just found this site and wanted to say hello and congrats to all of my future classmates in the class of 2010. :)

Hey everyone -

I was wondering if someone knew about this. I heard from CCOM students that they have tests practically every other day and its the same for AZCOM. Could anyone comment on that? Thanks!

HemaOncoDoc said:
Hey everyone -

I was wondering if someone knew about this. I heard from CCOM students that they have tests practically every other day and its the same for AZCOM. Could anyone comment on that? Thanks!

I know that we will have tests every Monday. Our curriculum is structured in Quarters 3 of them. So it is compacted into 30 weeks. We will also have some weeks that there will be more than one a week. If you go to the website, I think they have several examples of the curricula.

Anyone else doing the HPSP this year?

maxhealth said:
What is the HPSP??

Health Professions Scholarship Program. It is the military scholarship.

kkoenig said:
I know that we will have tests every Monday. Our curriculum is structured in Quarters 3 of them. So it is compacted into 30 weeks. We will also have some weeks that there will be more than one a week. If you go to the website, I think they have several examples of the curricula.

During your first year, you won't have more than one core class exam in a week. You have 2 core classes your 1st Quarter: Anatomy/Embry/Histo and Biochem. During your second quarter, you will have 3 core classes: the same ones from Fall Quarter + Physiology. Spring Quarter, your core classes are Neuroscience, Immunology and Physiology.

Most of your exams will be on Monday. You might occasionally have an exam on Tuesday or some other time during the week. During the Fall quarter, you will have a few weeks in which you won't have any exam during a week. In the Winter Quarter, you will basically have an exam per week.

The only time you have two or more exams per week is when you have a core exam on a Monday and then ICM or Human Behavior later in the week. ICM and Human Behavior are pretty easy though so it's not like you have two real exams in a week.

Second year is when you have two core exams in a given week like Path on Monday and Pharm on Friday. Not looking forward to that...

As far as Books are concerned, I recommend 4 for the Fall Quarter:

1. Netter Atlas - this is basic. Some only buy this book alone

2. Rohen Atlas - good for the practical particularly the night before an exam when you don't have access to the anatomy lab.

3. Wheater Atlas for Histology - best all around Histo text book. There are other atlases too like the Gartner and Hiatt atlas. That's good too but you can get by on Wheaters

4. Sadler or Lange's (same book) Embryology book - This book is either referred to as Sadler or Lange's depending on the year it was published. It's the same book. I feel this book is a must. When you read Embryo, the notes can be confusing unless you have something to reference. Dr. Nydam's notes follow this book pretty well and the pictures/diagrams helped a lot.

Rohen, Sadler and Wheater are all available on reserve in the library. I feel the Netter and Wheater are a must.

You don't need any other book. And if you think you need a book, the library has several copies on reserve. Everything will provided in notes and lecture.

So I hear there is a waitlist for housing. Basically, I'm looking for a roommate or roommates to live with. Either somebody who has an apt already looking for another person or is interested in getting 2-4 bedroom apartment with other people near campus. I'm going to try to get my name on the campus housing list but I think that there is probably a little bit of a line for that. PM me if you're interested.

Male 22, Moderately Clean, Loves Baseball, Loves medicine...(obviously, particularly emergency medicine), Lots of fun, like to go out from time to time (we'll see about this in medical school), Did I mention baseball addict and loves medicine?

siriceman64 said:
So I hear there is a waitlist for housing. Basically, I'm looking for a roommate or roommates to live with. Either somebody who has an apt already looking for another person or is interested in getting 2-4 bedroom apartment with other people near campus. I'm going to try to get my name on the campus housing list but I think that there is probably a little bit of a line for that. PM me if you're interested.

Male 22, Moderately Clean, Loves Baseball, Loves medicine...(obviously, particularly emergency medicine), Lots of fun, like to go out from time to time (we'll see about this in medical school), Did I mention baseball addict and loves medicine?

Oh we'll take you out plenty to Scottsdale, believe me.... :D

So scottsdale is where it's hoppin eh? I particularly liked "The Big Bang" in Tempe but then again I've only been to Phoenix area for spring break (X4, spring training baseball of course) and an interview. Wowsers, Arizona. It's been 87 with 90% humidity (yuck). Sadly 110 with 10% humidity might actually be bearable when I get there. IL, you just can't escape the heat, not even in the shade.

Tempe is pretty fun as well. I've been to Big Bang a couple of times, fun place. It all depends on if you're in the "college" mood or not. And I agree, the dry heat is better than humid head any day. Then again, I grew up in a dry climate so humidity really drives me up a wall.

Any health insurance advice? And when and where did they say we needed to get our titers drawn?

goinverted said:
Any health insurance advice? And when and where did they say we needed to get our titers drawn?
We're probably going with the school insurance just to make it easier, but it would be helpful if someone out there knew if there's a better deal for spouses and kids.

I just had my immunization stuff done at my local college health center, they seem to have a lot of kids come in for immunizations for grad school, so I figured that would be alright. (I sure hope so, it was like $150 for everything). I sent off all the copies of the info last week, so I'll let you know if they don't accept it. I came up negative on my Hep B titer though! I had the three shot series like 6 years ago and came out negative, so I had to get a 4th shot last week and it made me sicker than a dog (apparently a rare side effect). If you have to get any more shots, I'd go to the state travel clinic place on state street and 20 something south if you're in Salt Lake. I forgot exactly where it is, but it's a little cheaper.

I believe they want everything done before you start except the Hep B titers for those who are still taking the full series. This includes, someone correct me if I miss some:

Drug Screen
Hep B Surface Antibody
Hepatitis B #1
Hepatitis B #2
Hepatitis B #3
Measles Immunization #1
Measles Immunization #2
Measles Titer
Mumps Immunization #1
Mumps Titer
Rubella Immunization #1
Rubella Titer
TB step 1
TB step 2
TB Chest X-Ray (only if you come up positive)
Tetanus
Varicella Titer

Does anybody know if AZCOM has any roommate matching thing or online forum for the school besides SDN?

goinverted said:

My husband is currently a MSII, (okay...for a couple more weeks), and we live in Surprise in a rental subdivision.

They're all houses, but we only pay $781/month to rent a 3 bedroom house. I think the 4 bedroom houses are $877/month. If you have kids and can't afford to buy a house yet, it might be a viable option.

http://www.rent.com/rentals/arizona/phoenix-scottsdale-and-vicinity/surprise/488469/

Oh, and congrats to everyone! I'm sure you'll love AZCOM!

Inquiringmind24 said:
Try the INTERACT NOW link on the AZCOM website: www.midwestern.edu/AZCOM.

Thank you thank you, we'll see if this is successful. Still looking for a room/roommate if anybody is interested. Me--->22 y/o male, moderately clean, fun, loves baseball.

Inquiringmind24 said:
Tempe is pretty fun as well. I've been to Big Bang a couple of times, fun place. It all depends on if you're in the "college" mood or not. And I agree, the dry heat is better than humid head any day. Then again, I grew up in a dry climate so humidity really drives me up a wall.

Word up Matt! That's what is nice about Phoenix, it has something for everyone. If you like the college scene, Tempe is your typical college town and ASU is one of the best party schools in the country. If you like dressing up and going to nice lounges and clubs, Scottsdale is where it's at. You have both in the same city. Phoenix and North Scottsdale have fine dining and great golf. And what's nice is that several of us have discovered nice little places in Glendale that isn't far from campus like Touch of Thai, McDuffy's, Old Chicago...and Dairy Queen!!! :laugh: Yes, Mat and I rediscovered Dairy Queen, it's very underrated.

rahulazcom said:
Word up Matt! That's what is nice about Phoenix, it has something for everyone. If you like the college scene, Tempe is your typical college town and ASU is one of the best party schools in the country. If you like dressing up and going to nice lounges and clubs, Scottsdale is where it's at. You have both in the same city. Phoenix and North Scottsdale have fine dining and great golf. And what's nice is that several of us have discovered nice little places in Glendale that isn't far from campus like Touch of Thai, McDuffy's, Old Chicago...and Dairy Queen!!! :laugh: Yes, Mat and I rediscovered Dairy Queen, it's very underrated.

Damn straight!

So I've decided that we need to get this post a cookin'. We're like LAST among posts besides KCOM class of 2010. We've gotta get up to at least 10 pages of posts. Maybe a 4 or 5 star rating... As I see it, we gott post 10 posts a day to have 10 pages by the end of next week. Now, we don't need one liners, we need quality material. So answer this short questionaire so that everybody can get to know each other. And we'll obviously get some material from that.

1. If you could do one thing besides be a doctor, what would it be?

2. What do you like about Arizona the most?

3. How much money did you spend applying to med schools?

4. If you could any animal, what would it be?

5. When you get to med school, the first week you are going to...

6. If you could meet one person in history, who would it be?

7. Desert, horrendously hot or it's a dry heat?

8. The specialty I have in mind right now is...

9. I went to _________ for undergraduate work.

10. # of glasses of water you'll drink daily in Arizona.

Thanks. Hope this stimulates conversation. (Basically need some major AZCOM postage)

I would be flying planes as a pilot

The weather is awesome. Phoenix feels like a city but is also rural in parts.

$4000 including traveling

4. If you be could any animal, what would it be?
A bald eagle, I've already got the bald part down and I'm only 22. Flying would be cool.

Try to meet as many people as possible. And study...

Abraham Lincoln, (Illinois bias)

It's a dry heat. Hopefully that's true in September too.

Emergency Medicine or Ortho Surgery

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Great idea dude. I'll post with answers shortly.

I just updated my MySpace profile, so you all are free to check it out. Just today I invited a bunch of AZCOM 2009ers so this can give you a chance to see some future MS-2's that will be giving you adive and guiding you through the first year :D . By the way, my appearance in the main profile picture was a one time thing! And Rahul, I expect you to get your myspace profile posted soon.

teach Dissection/Anatomy at a University

In-N-Out just around the corner

~$3000 or so, this year...~$4500 including last year. Ack

A llama, no question

Study a grip, make some friends, and bike alot

Douglas Adams

Not sure yet. Right now it's just ridiculously hot [but I guess that's not really an option...]

Ophthalmology or Emergency Medicine, so far

Brigham Young University

probably about a gallon of some diluted juice instead of water...can't get enough cranberry or apple juice. That stuff's crazy delicious

A writer/photographer for National Geographic.

Access to cool places like Mexico, the Grand Canyon, Southern Utah, SoCal, and New Mexico.

About $2500 or so, maybe more....
A male lion, since all you gotta do is you know what and the female does the rest :D

Go out as much as possible before classes start.

Martin Luther King, Jr....what a guy

Horrendously hot, especially with all of the asphalt found in the concrete jungle of Phoenix.

Peds or IM.

University of Colorado at Boulder (go Buffs!)

At least 12

Thanks. Hope this stimulates conversation. (Basically need some major AZCOM postage)

Yeah, we need to catch up with those folks at UNECOM and DMU. Plus last year's thread fizzled, so I don't want that to happen this year.

siriceman64 said:
That's wild hair you got there. I'll stick with my bald head as long as I wear a hat in AZ.

I kept that hairstyle for about a month in Africa, then I got it buzzed since it was driving me nuts!

Why a Llama, v3rbal? It's a llama for God's sake. Just a llama.

siriceman64 said:
I would be flying planes as a pilot

The weather is awesome. Phoenix feels like a city but is also rural in parts.

$4000 including traveling

A bald eagle, I've already got the bald part down and I'm only 22. Flying would be cool.

Try to meet as many people as possible. And study...

Abraham Lincoln, (Illinois bias)

It's a dry heat. Hopefully that's true in September too.

Emergency Medicine or Ortho Surgery

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign

Firefighter
Weather and relative closeness to Vegas
apporx $2000.00
Any type of exotic bird
Find the best Happy Hour pub
Lincoln
dry heat
IM with a fellow in Cardiology
Texas Tech University

Has anyone else not yet received their financial aid award letter? I called the financial aid office back in mid May and they told me it might be June before I receive the letter, but I see on here that others have already gotten it. I completed all of the financial aid info back in December or January and they told me I've completed everything. August isn't too far away, I'm starting to get a little nervous! Anyone else still waiting??

I've still got to send them 1000 dollars before they tell me how much money I get. Yay for a late deposit. (June 9) Gotta get that in ASAP. Let's keep AZCOM 2010 on the top of the list guys. (and girls.) (There are girls in Arizona right?)

siriceman64 said:
Why a Llama, v3rbal? It's a llama for God's sake. Just a llama.

are you serious?! Just consider for a moment these majestic creatures...harvested for their luscious fur, adored by thousands at the annual Spanish Fork Llama Fest [http://www.utahvalleyllamas.com/llamafest.htm], fantastic expectorators, and all-around pack animals regardless of the climate involved.

And as if those reasons weren't enough, just check out this bad A song devoted solely to llamas. It's the cat's pajamas [and super annoying at the same time].

http://www.ritilan.com/archives/images/2004/10/29/llamasong.swf

Anywho, I'd be a llama mainly for the prestige within the animal kingdom, as well as the intimate identification within a niche zoological elitist society [which, I can only imagine, llamas belong to].