***AZCOM Class of 2010!!!****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just got back from Glendale a coupla hours ago. Drove down this past weekend to look for housing and came up with a nice room in Arrowhead Ranch [?? I think...just across the 101 from AZCOM] with a gal from CA. I had gotten assigned a big brother from AZCOM and he's been helping me out a ton with any questions that I've had and has done lots of legwork for me as far as housing goes. Kudos to diligent MSI / MSII 'ers.

Anywho, so, in case nobody's let you know recently it's still ridiculously hot in Arizona. Had a high of 114 while I was there, and I didn't think that my little Honda would take it. It got so hot, in fact, that my CD deck shut itself off and wouldn't work for almost 3 hours!! I thought that I'd fried the thing [I was going towards Flagstaff up that massive hill and had turned off the A/C and opened the windows to prevent overheating] and was super bummed, but when I stopped for gas in Page, AZ it started right back up again with the car. Hmmm...never thought that the "Windows Principle" [if it doesn't work right, just reboot] would have to be used for my car's equipment. Funny.

But I did get a chance to sample some of the local golf [played over in Scottsdale...don't remember the name...big 36-hole place with an 18-hole Pine course and 18-hole Palm course] which was bearable thanks to a 7am tee time. Let me just say that my golf game definitely appreciates AZ already. Lots of fun, though I don't know how much of that I'd be able to do once school starts. We'll see.

Question of the day: Who has been accepted for the longest or for the shortest period of time? (Insert yourself between)

::Longest::

October 5 caliri23

February 27 v3rbal

May 12
siriceman64 (June 9 postmark date)

::Shortest::

Members don't see this ad.

v3rbal said:
just got back from Glendale a coupla hours ago. Drove down this past weekend to look for housing and came up with a nice room in Arrowhead Ranch [?? I think...just across the 101 from AZCOM] with a gal from CA. I had gotten assigned a big brother from AZCOM and he's been helping me out a ton with any questions that I've had and has done lots of legwork for me as far as housing goes. Kudos to diligent MSI / MSII 'ers.

Anywho, so, in case nobody's let you know recently it's still ridiculously hot in Arizona. Had a high of 114 while I was there, and I didn't think that my little Honda would take it. It got so hot, in fact, that my CD deck shut itself off and wouldn't work for almost 3 hours!! I thought that I'd fried the thing [I was going towards Flagstaff up that massive hill and had turned off the A/C and opened the windows to prevent overheating] and was super bummed, but when I stopped for gas in Page, AZ it started right back up again with the car. Hmmm...never thought that the "Windows Principle" [if it doesn't work right, just reboot] would have to be used for my car's equipment. Funny.

But I did get a chance to sample some of the local golf [played over in Scottsdale...don't remember the name...big 36-hole place with an 18-hole Pine course and 18-hole Palm course] which was bearable thanks to a 7am tee time. Let me just say that my golf game definitely appreciates AZ already. Lots of fun, though I don't know how much of that I'd be able to do once school starts. We'll see.

Question of the day: Who has been accepted for the longest or for the shortest period of time? (Insert yourself between)

October 5 caliri23

February 27 v3rbal

May 12
siriceman64 (June 9 postmark date)

Who's your big bro? Yeah, it's been like hell on earth here recently. I could fry an egg on the side walk. Luckily I'm leaving for South America soon where it's nice and cool.

This is definitely going to be my introduction to a very HOT Arizona. Hopefully it's on the cooling trend come late august.

Members don't see this ad :)
Inquiringmind24 said:
Who's your big bro? Yeah, it's been like hell on earth here recently. I could fry an egg on the side walk. Luckily I'm leaving for South America soon where it's nice and cool.

Sakona Seng...goes by Kona...way way chill kid that's been fantastically amazing about replying to my emails and helping me out in any way possible. He said that he's also gonna be in South America [Ecuador, actually] so sounds like that's the thing to do for pre-MSII'ers?

v3rbal said:
Sakona Seng...goes by Kona...way way chill kid that's been fantastically amazing about replying to my emails and helping me out in any way possible. He said that he's also gonna be in South America [Ecuador, actually] so sounds like that's the thing to do for pre-MSII'ers?

How do you know who your big bro is already??

siriceman64 said:
This is definitely going to be my introduction to a very HOT Arizona. Hopefully it's on the cooling trend come late august.

Try late September to October...

v3rbal said:

Wow, that's quite the coincidence! Kona's my buddy and he's actually in the same program as me in Quito. Kona, Nicole (another pre-MSII), and myself are all flying to Ecuador together. That's great that you got Kona as a big bro. He's on the ball and will continue to be a great help I'm sure. My little bro seems cool and I've communicated with him quite a bit through e-mail. Quite a few students are participating in medical Spanish programs. There is another small group going to Quito in late July through late August, but through a different program. Plus, I know a couple others going to Costa Rica. If you want to use Spanish as a future healthcare professional I highly recommend it. In many states it's a must.

Marjoe said:
Try late September to October...

I almost don't want to leave Illinois. It's been 75-85 and 35% humidity about as good as it gets in Illinois but I think there's hot and humid ahead for the weekend so going to Arizona can't be much worse. Anybody know how to get your Midwestern e-mail set up? Do they send you logon info in the mail or what not?

Nick

siriceman64 said:
I almost don't want to leave Illinois. It's been 75-85 and 35% humidity about as good as it gets in Illinois but I think there's hot and humid ahead for the weekend so going to Arizona can't be much worse. Anybody know how to get your Midwestern e-mail set up? Do they send you logon info in the mail or what not?

Nick

You should have received your password, login ID, and email address in the mail with the either the financial aid material or orientation material, I dont remember which. You can call the financial aid office or admissions to get that info.

I was also wondering how people have already been assigned a big brother...do we have to request one? Or call to find out who they are?

DOHawkeye said:
You should have received your password, login ID, and email address in the mail with the either the financial aid material or orientation material, I dont remember which. You can call the financial aid office or admissions to get that info.

I was also wondering how people have already been assigned a big brother...do we have to request one? Or call to find out who they are?

You should already be assigned one. If you haven't heard from your big sib, then I would suggest calling the admission office and they can give you the info. Big siblings are a very important resource so make sure you get to know them before starting classes. Mine really helped me out.

siriceman64 said:
Hope you like kids. :laugh:
Well, I am from Utah... :laugh:

siriceman64 said:
Why did everyone choose AZCOM?
For me it was the weather/high board passing rates/newer facilities.

Weather/boards/facilities was part of the deal for me, but I picked AZCOM just because I felt the most comfortable there. I was lucky to get accepted to some other schools but I just wasn't feelin it at the other places.

My titers weren't THAT expensive, like 90 bucks for each...but I guess that's still 90 bucks. Thanks upper classpeople for the heads up.

Yeah, I haven't learned who my big brother is yet, thanks for the advice in that as well.
siriceman64 said:

October 5 caliri23

November 30 gusterbyu

February 27 v3rbal

May 12 siriceman64 (June 9 postmark date)

goinverted said:
5. When you get to med school, the first week you are going to...
Find out where the nearest Buffalo Wild Wings is.

So after more research, I found that there are 5 BW3's in the phoenix area. 2 in Gilbert, 2 in Mesa, and 1 in Phoenix. The one in Phoenix is just 16 miles east of AZCOM on the loop. 7000 E Mayo Blvd., Phoenix, AZ

Enjoy. Because I definitely will...

www.buffalowildwings.com

The question now is: what will you do now that you know where the nearest Buffalo Wild Wings is...

siriceman64 said:
So after more research, I found that there are 5 BW3's in the phoenix area. 2 in Gilbert, 2 in Mesa, and 1 in Phoenix. The one in Phoenix is just 16 miles east of AZCOM on the loop. 7000 E Mayo Blvd., Phoenix, AZ

Enjoy. Because I definitely will...

www.buffalowildwings.com

The question now is: what will you do now that you know where the nearest Buffalo Wild Wings is...

BW3's would be a great place to hang out and meet people from our class before orientation!

Members don't see this ad :)
So I must ask: what is so special about Buffalo Wildwings? My sister absolutely loves the place and lives in downtown Chicago so she has many options aside from the chain restaraunts. I have never been there but I am intrigued. She keeps trying to drag me there during sporting events. However, I have recently become engaged to Old Chicago near school so I don't think I could cheat on it with BW3.

Yes, I encourage everyone to get to know their Big Bro and Big Sis. They can be a great resource. The admissions office is in charge of the program and Bea White is the person to contact. If your Big Bro/Big Sis has been difficult to get in contact with or has not been responsive, you can request a new one. I'm not making any promises that you will get assigned a new one but it isn't uncommon and Bea will do her best to accomodate you. There are many MS II's that are not assigned one and are willing to volunteer. E-mail Bea and she should put you in contact with one.

And v3rbal, Kona is a great guy so you got lucky. You could have done far worse and ended up with someone like myself but unfortunatley robazcom will have to bear that burden :laugh:

I went to high school with my Big Bro, Ryan Jones. I think he was the MSI class pres.

About the Buffulo Wild Wings, you should definitely cheat on Old Chicago and go sometime. The wings and onion rings are amazazing! We should se who can throw down the blazin' challenge in the shortest amount of time. We could all pitch in and buy the winner a bottle of pepto and a good anatomy book to read on the pot! :laugh:

goinverted said:
I went to high school with my Big Bro, Ryan Jones. I think he was the MSI class pres.

About the Buffulo Wild Wings, you should definitely cheat on Old Chicago and go sometime. The wings and onion rings are amazazing! We should se who can throw down the blazin' challenge in the shortest amount of time. We could all pitch in and buy the winner a bottle of pepto and a good anatomy book to read on the pot! :laugh:

The blazing wings are OUT OF CONTROL HOT!! I like hot things, but I can't even handle those.

Well I've been out here for almost 12 hours and it's not BLAZING hot yet...I'm sure the egg frying will start soon. Went to a tacobell/pizza hut last night near the hotel. It was after 10p (when the lobby closes) and we had walked...they wouldn't let us walk through the drive through. So we had to walk back to the hotel (2 blocks) and get the car just to get tacobell... We even tried making noises like a car. They didn't buy it. Here's to finding a place to live today.

caliri23 said:
Not sure if any of you happened to catch this, but here's a little fun fact about the city we'll all soon be calling home.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060614/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_life_sweat

I'm so glad the humidity is low. Miami and Florida in general are about last on my places to live. I might even take the middle of Montana middle of nowhere over Miami...maybe...

So I'm thinking this BW3's deal is getting really good. I'm thinking SDN AZCOM'ers get together on a day August 23rd-26th at BW3's around 7p. I kind of looked at the orientation schedule and I'm not sure which night would be the most opportune for everyone to get together. Perhaps Thurs (24th) since Friday, Saturday might be travel/other thing days... Let me know. We can discuss this more.

siriceman64 said:
I'm so glad the humidity is low. Miami and Florida in general are about last on my places to live. I might even take the middle of Montana middle of nowhere over Miami...maybe...

So I'm thinking this BW3's deal is getting really good. I'm thinking SDN AZCOM'ers get together on a day August 23rd-26th at BW3's around 7p. I kind of looked at the orientation schedule and I'm not sure which night would be the most opportune for everyone to get together. Perhaps Thurs (24th) since Friday, Saturday might be travel/other thing days... Let me know. We can discuss this more.

Sounds good, we should probably not do it the day before we sit in class all day because if someone goes for the challenge they may spend most of the next day on the can. Also I think they still have 33 cent Tuesday wing night.

goinverted said:

Onions rings...wings...surely you jest to challenge me in these areas of consumption. You shalt not win. Do they have Trivia there, you know the electronic kind where you get boxes? Ryan is a friend of mine. I served with him on the class council last year and I'm succeeding him as the current MSII class pres. He is a good man and he will be a great big bro.

But seriously, the person you should be concerned with is Matt aka "Inquiring Mind". Matt would never give anyone the impression he eats a lot based on his appearance but he can chow down. He is a sleeper pick. I would put my money on Matt. Sorry Matt but I had to give you a hard time. :laugh:

caliri23 said:
Not sure if any of you happened to catch this, but here's a little fun fact about the city we'll all soon be calling home.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060614/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_life_sweat

I have a hard time believing that. I have spent the last month in Texas and Tennessee and I have never sweated more in my life. It may not be hot but if you spend 10 minutes outside, you feel like you have to take a bath. Also, what's up with the insects in humid climates. There are mosquitoes, junebugs and flies everywhere. If you picnic and BBQ in Phoenix, you don't have to worry about these flying pests unless you are standing in front of a pond. Yeah, it's hot in Phoenix during the day but I'm not working in construction. The only time I'm really outside in the summer here is when I'm walking to my car or I'm hanging out by the pool in the evening. Okay I'll get off my soapbox, Phoenix is my baby and I get a little overprotective of it. Heck, I'm even an Arizona Cardinals fan, the worst team in NFL history. :laugh: But then again, my friend and AZCOM lil brother robazcom is from Phoenix and he hates the weather here so go figure!

In regards to titers, Dr. K will mention a deal the school has with a certain lab and you can get it done at a discounted rate but I don't recall how much money you actually save. I still don't have my titers done and I'm going to get mine done as soon as I get back to Phoenix in late June. I truly regret not getting them done earlier. It's really easy to do which I didn't know at the time. During orientation, it seemed like such a complicated process to get your titers done that I just delayed getting it done. But by all means, do it now before school starts. It's one less headache to worry about and Kathy Gibson and Dr. K will love you. And policy is always changing at our school. Right now, a pertusis vaccination is required to rotate in Utah and some other states prior to 3rd year rotations so you never know if preceptors are making similar changes to policy regarding rotating students.

rahulazcom said:
So I must ask: what is so special about Buffalo Wildwings? My sister absolutely loves the place and lives in downtown Chicago so she has many options aside from the chain restaraunts. I have never been there but I am intrigued. She keeps trying to drag me there during sporting events. However, I have recently become engaged to Old Chicago near school so I don't think I could cheat on it with BW3.

Yes, I encourage everyone to get to know their Big Bro and Big Sis. They can be a great resource. The admissions office is in charge of the program and Bea White is the person to contact. If your Big Bro/Big Sis has been difficult to get in contact with or has not been responsive, you can request a new one. I'm not making any promises that you will get assigned a new one but it isn't uncommon and Bea will do her best to accomodate you. There are many MS II's that are not assigned one and are willing to volunteer. E-mail Bea and she should put you in contact with one.

And v3rbal, Kona is a great guy so you got lucky. You could have done far worse and ended up with someone like myself but unfortunatley robazcom will have to bear that burden :laugh:

I'm with you rahulazcom, I don't see why Buffalo WildWings is anything special...I mean, it's no In-N-Out or anything [at which point its taste-tacular superiority would be immediately understood by all]. But I'm up for anything. I'll be moving into my place around the 20th of August [or whenever I get off my keister in beautiful CA and drive out] and have nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs and rearrange furniture.

I also agree with the sentiments hereby posted about Kona...he's a total stallion. I don't know why I got so lucky, but I ain't complaining. And I don't know how the process all happened Marjoe, but I got an email from Kona at the beginning of May letting me know that he was my assigned big bro. and offering his services. I second the sentiments about getting ahold of AZCOM about your big sibling if you aren't already in contact with 'em...extremely helpful.

Inquiringmind24 said:
Quite a few students are participating in medical Spanish programs. There is another small group going to Quito in late July through late August, but through a different program. Plus, I know a couple others going to Costa Rica. If you want to use Spanish as a future healthcare professional I highly recommend it. In many states it's a must.

So what's the deal with AZCOM and opportunities to use Spanish? Is there a place that you guys volunteer to maintain it, or classes you take, or what? I got a list of approved Federal Work Study programs that AZCOM already has a relationship with to see where I could get involved and utilize the language. I've been doing a decent amount of medical translation and patient interaction for the past year with this surgeon I've been working for, but I definitely don't wanna drop the ball now and forget what I've been working towards. Mainly don't want to forget all of the vocab and new verbs that I've learned over the course of the year [most of which were taught to me by patients when I came up short]. Suggestions? What's worked well for you bilinguals this past year/two years of med school?

Page 10 anyone? SWEETNESS....

Alright me getting excited about pushing this thread into double digits is sad. But what's great is that medical school is 2 months away. I've decided that once the sun goes down. Phoenix is much better even if it is still 100 degrees. The sun is intense.

New question: How many bottles of sunscreen and sunglasses are in your possession today?

For me 2 bottles o' sunscreen (bullfrog, only the best.), 3 pairs of sunglasses (1 prescription, 2 normal regular for when I wear the contacts).

siriceman64 said:
New question: How many bottles of sunscreen and sunglasses are in your possession today?

For me 2 bottles o' sunscreen (bullfrog, only the best.), 3 pairs of sunglasses (1 prescription, 2 normal regular for when I wear the contacts).

I'd have to say sunscreen is on the list of things to purchase, also a dashboard mat, tint on my car windows, and I still got to figure out the leather seat hotness problem. About 10 years later, skin cancer treatment will be on the list as well. I only have some sort of chapstick sunscreen thing, probably not going to do the job. 2 pairs of sunglasses, polarized is the only way to go. :cool:

Well, I've found it's not soooo hot AZ when you get out the concrete jungle (Phoenix). It's not too bad in Sierra Vista. Went down to the border to check out the new fence that's going up. (It didn't look that new, perhaps it's going up to the east or west of Naco, AZ.) Anyway, it's back to Phoenix to secure down some housing and get on the plane back to hot and humid Illinois.

Anybody going on any trips soon. <--(Germany July12-Aug 1)

And yes, polarized is th eonly way to go on the sunglasses. :cool:

Interesting..i got a call today and got accepted from the wait list....i really liked the school...and they have a very good matchlist for me (interested in anesth) But i may decline just because Ive already put in 2K deposit to NSU and also a 600 deposit at an apartment....aldkfja;
sorry this is just rambling:

pros IMO of AZCOM vs NSU:
No hurricanes
Better matchlist (comparing anesth only)

Pros of NSU:
Better campus
Stability of Clinical Ed
More established (older school >25 years)
Location minus the hurricanes
Tuitino is cheaper
Ive already paid 2 K in deposits

I think if they had accepted me back in february it would have been a different story...but its just too much trouble to withdraw, etc...not to mention reapplying for financial aid....

For anyone thats going there..it wouldve been nice to get to know yall..for those of yall on the waitlist..there is movement!! And i'll most likely decline my spot..

Who out there is going to live in Surprise? I am in the process of renting a house there. Hopefully, there are several students living there too. I hear it is nice, but I wouldn't know. I am going to have to rent a home based on pictures and description. We will be in AZ on Aug 1st. Maybe we can lay down a time for everyone to meet.

I am renting an apartment in San Prado, across the street from AZCOM, and will be moving to the area around July 17th. Gonna try and relax for a month or so before school starts...

I found a house to rent in Arrowhead Ranch. I'll be moving in right around mid August. Anyone else there?

Marjoe said:
I am renting an apartment in San Prado, across the street from AZCOM, and will be moving to the area around July 17th. Gonna try and relax for a month or so before school starts...

Hey Marjoe

Congrats on San Prado. My wife and I also live in San Prado. I think you will love it. There are several AZCOM students living at Prado. It may be expensive but you get what you pay for. I lived in a cheaper apartment near the school and it wasn't worth it. Trust me, when you have those 7:30 AM exams, you will love being literally 90 seconds from your seat in Ocotillo E, the room in which your exams are given.

DrMikeyLu said:
Interesting..i got a call today and got accepted from the wait list....i really liked the school...and they have a very good matchlist for me (interested in anesth) But i may decline just because Ive already put in 2K deposit to NSU and also a 600 deposit at an apartment....aldkfja;
sorry this is just rambling:

pros IMO of AZCOM vs NSU:
No hurricanes
Better matchlist (comparing anesth only)

Pros of NSU:
Better campus
Stability of Clinical Ed
More established (older school >25 years)
Location minus the hurricanes
Tuitino is cheaper
Ive already paid 2 K in deposits

I think if they had accepted me back in february it would have been a different story...but its just too much trouble to withdraw, etc...not to mention reapplying for financial aid....

For anyone thats going there..it wouldve been nice to get to know yall..for those of yall on the waitlist..there is movement!! And i'll most likely decline my spot..

The formal NSU DO school was founded in 1994 so the school is not much older than AZCOM. It's root school was founded 25 years ago but the actual medical school was not formed until 1994. AZCOM was founded in 1996. AZCOM also originated and is associated from CCOM, one of the oldest DO schools in the country, so I don't see how you could argue that NSUCOM is more established than AZCOM. Also, AZCOM just received over a 100 million from the state government so AZCOM's clinical setup will be one of the best in the country.

And the 2 big red flags for me regarding NSUCOM is

1. Mandatory Attendance
2. Dress Code

That's a little too high school for me. We are professionals now and we should be treated like one. Otherwise, I agree with your other points. I think they have a nicer campus and their clinical structure is currently more established although AZCOM is making major progress in that area in the past two years.

rahulazcom said:
Hey Marjoe

Congrats on San Prado. My wife and I also live in San Prado. I think you will love it. There are several AZCOM students living at Prado. It may be expensive but you get what you pay for. I lived in a cheaper apartment near the school and it wasn't worth it. Trust me, when you have those 7:30 AM exams, you will love being literally 90 seconds from your seat in Ocotillo E, the room in which your exams are given.

Sounds good to me. When my girlfriend and I walked into the apartment, we knew it was the right place for us.

On another note, do you happen to know how the commute from our apartment to the I-10 (Goodyear area) on the 101 West is during rush hour. I am thinking it is a reverse commute, but I am not sure. My girlfriend will be teaching out there.

Marjoe said:
Sounds good to me. When my girlfriend and I walked into the apartment, we knew it was the right place for us.

On another note, do you happen to know how the commute from our apartment to the I-10 (Goodyear area) on the 101 West is during rush hour. I am thinking it is a reverse commute, but I am not sure. My girlfriend will be teaching out there.

It's not bad at all because like you correctly stated, it is a reverse commute. My wife, unfortunately, will have to drive to Chandler for work 3 times per week. Yeah, I better have some quality dinner prepared by the time she arrives home from work. :laugh:

rahulazcom said:
It's not bad at all because like you correctly stated, it is a reverse commute. My wife, unfortunately, will have to drive to Chandler for work 3 times per week. Yeah, I better have some quality dinner prepared by the time she arrives home from work. :laugh:

Thanks for the info...it will make my girlfriend very happy to hear this!

rahulazcom said:
The formal NSU DO school was founded in 1994 so the school is not much older than AZCOM. It's root school was founded 25 years ago but the actual medical school was formed until 1994. AZCOM also has CCOM to lean for support.

And the 2 big red flags for me regarding NSUCOM is

1. Mandatory Attendance
2. Dress Code

That's a little too high school for me. We are professionals now and we should be treated like one. Otherwise, I agree with your other points. I think they have a nicer campus and their clinical structure is more established although is making major progress in that area in the past two years.

to an extent i agree...But isnt it more professional to dress professional...btw the two red flags doesnt bother me...and they arent enforced..so its not that bad.

DrMikeyLu said:
to an extent i agree...But isnt it more professional to dress professional...btw the two red flags doesnt bother me...and they arent enforced..so its not that bad.

But do you think sitting in a lecture hall is the same as rotating on the wards? I think there are situations that warrant professional dress and others that don't. I personally enjoy wearing flip flops and shorts to lecture particularly when it's a 100 degrees outside. And I have a friend who attends NSUCOM. He told me they have to scan your ID upon entering lectures. Unless things have changed, that's a little too Big Brother/1984 for me.

I also want to add that AZCOM was awarded a pledge of over a 100 million dollars by the state in grants so our clinical setup will be vastly improved in the coming years.

although nsu do may only be 1994, southeastern university of health sciences (do) stems back to 1981.

rack said:
although nsu do may only be 1994, southeastern university of health sciences (do) stems back to 1981.

but AZCOM is founded and associated from CCOM as a part of Midwestern University. CCOM is larger and far more established than southeastern university ever was so one could easily argue AZCOM is more established.

rahulazcom said:
But do you think sitting in a lecture hall is the same as rotating on the wards? I think there are situations that warrant professional dress and others that don't. I personally enjoy wearing flip flops and shorts to lecture particularly when it's a 100 degrees outside. And I have a friend who attends NSUCOM. He told me they have to scan your ID upon entering lectures. Unless things have changed, that's a little too Big Brother/1984 for me.

I also want to add that AZCOM was awarded a pledge of over a 100 million dollars by the state in grants so our clinical setup will be vastly improved in the coming years.

First off...you can always get your friends to swipe you in..so thats not the issue...secondly ..that grant money may not even have an impact for your class or mine...you never know...there is no doubt AZCOM is an excellent school...But there is no question that it still needs to develop...And will they build new hospitals and clinics in the future? most likely...Will they be built in time for ME to rotate at...most likely not...although its great you got the money...it really doesnt help me that much..it does however improve the future of the school...but rite now im only interested in the present..

Btw...i really did like your school..i would be happy to go there..maybe if i didnt get accepted to NSU...and if i got accepted early in the app cycle...versus now...so please dont take offense to my posts..its a great school with a great match list no doubt...I wish you all the very best

DrMikeyLu said:
First off...you can always get your friends to swipe you in..so thats not the issue...secondly ..that grant money may not even have an impact for your class or mine...you never know...there is no doubt AZCOM is an excellent school...But there is no question that it still needs to develop...And will they build new hospitals and clinics in the future? most likely...Will they be built in time for ME to rotate at...most likely not...although its great you got the money...it really doesnt help me that much..it does however improve the future of the school...but rite now im only interested in the present..

Btw...i really did like your school..i would be happy to go there..maybe if i didnt get accepted to NSU...and if i got accepted early in the app cycle...versus now...so please dont take offense to my posts..its a great school with a great match list no doubt...I wish you all the very best

The point is a mandatory attendance policy is enforced at NSUCOM whether you dodge it or not. And you would be affected by that grant money because by the time you get to clinicals, you would have many more options than the current classes. We just received an e-mail stating that only 3 out-circuit rotations would be allowed during 3rd year for the class of 2009 due to the increased number of local ward based rotations that were acquired recently. That's a huge accomplishment considering 6 rotations were allowed during the 3rd year for the previous classes.

I think NSUCOM is an excellent school but I don't agree with all of your positives/negatives list especially the mandatory attendance and dress code.

yes, just like how pcom-ga > every other do school just because its associated with pcom. thats not exactly how it works. it has some support from its mother chapter etc but you're going to azcom. using azcoms facilities and wards and their education. not ccoms.

Anyways, back to the living topic. I am flying out to Phoenix in a couple of weeks to look at homes in Surprise. I may be buying a home or maybe even a newer duplex if anyone is interested in renting out the other side.

rack said:
yes, just like how pcom-ga > every other do school just because its associated with pcom. thats not exactly how it works. it has some support from its mother chapter etc but you're going to azcom. using azcoms facilities and wards and their education. not ccoms.
Take a quick look at the pass rate for AZCOM's step one Comlex, it is the # 1 in the country right now. Also look at the residencies that are accepting AZCOM graduates. I was accepted to NSU, and did not even consider it in the same category as AZCOM.

kkoenig said:
Take a quick look at the pass rate for AZCOM's step one Comlex, it is the # 1 in the country right now. Also look at the residencies that are accepting AZCOM graduates. I was accepted to NSU, and did not even consider it in the same category as AZCOM.[/QUOT

I just want to clarify my last post by stating that this is my opinion and only my opinion. All the US Osteo schools have strong points and have to meet certain standards in order for graduates to receive licensure in the US. I chose to look at 3 things, Board pass rates, residencies, and weather. These were the selling points for me.

goinverted said:
Anyways, back to the living topic. I am flying out to Phoenix in a couple of weeks to look at homes in Surprise. I may be buying a home or maybe even a newer duplex if anyone is interested in renting out the other side.

The price of houses are ridiculous in Surprise and in Glendale. We can't afford to buy and are going to try to land a 3 to 4 bd to rent. I have a wife and daughter that will be moving with me. Hopefully, there are going to be several students living in Surprise.

rack said:

You make a good point and I can't dispute what you said above. At the same time, let's not deny reality. Southeastern was established in 1981 before it merged with Nova to form NSUCOM in 1994. That's not the same thing as CCOM, PCOM or another school that had truly been in existance for decades and has far more alumni. Southeastern is only 15 years older than AZCOM. Technically, NSUCOM is more established than AZCOM but is it significantly so to the point one could rave that it's an advantage over AZCOM, I think not. And I feel the age of the school doesn't necessarily translate to being established. Many of the Carribbean schools like Ross are older than Southeastern/NSUCOM, does that make them more established?

I wanted to speak about our clinical rotations since there has been a lot of negative propaganda regarding it to the point that it is pretty much dogma that our clinical setup is terrible. I want to dispel a lot of those myths for those students who have recently been admitted to AZCOM.

A lot of students actually prefer our current setup due to the flexibility it affords. I know a couple of students who are from the Los Angelas area. They want to do all of their rotations in the LA area because that's where they want to do residency and ultimately settle down. These students are now doing nearly all of their rotations in LA including most of the 3rd year rotations. Other schools would require you do your core rotations at the local hospital. For the students wanting to move back home, they have a huge advantage over students who are forced to staying locally. They can network with particular hospitals as a 3rd year student and then enable themselves to have a better chance of securing an elective at that hospital since they did some of their core rotations there. I know several Chicago based students who did this as AZCOM students. They knew they wanted to go back to Chicago and our clinical setup enabled these students to rotate at Chicago hospitals early as opposed to other schools in which students can only rotate there as 4th year students.

However, this setup used to hurt students like myself that are from Arizona and prefer not to travel during 3rd year for extensive periods of time. Now, our clinical setup is improving because the school has managed to acquire many more ward based rotations in the Phoenix metro so students who want to stay in Phoenix can do so with minimal travel. I know a few students that will be 3rd years next year and they are not forced to moving out of the Phoenix metro to do their rotations which was unheard of two years ago. One current 3rd year will only have to move for one month. I'm not suggesting that our setup isn't without it's flaws but it's not in the dire state as its described on SDN.