***AZCOM Class of 2010!!!****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Plus, how can you be cooler than Tina the llama in Naploen Dynamite?

Members don't see this ad.

Any more students out there to fill out the ol' survey? Anybody looking for a roommate? Going out from the 16-19th of June.

siriceman64 said:
Any more students out there to fill out the ol' survey? Anybody looking for a roommate? Going out from the 16-19th of June.

1. If you could do one thing besides be a doctor, what would it be?
Be some sort of a musician...or a drummer.

2. What do you like about Arizona the most?
The absence of tornadoes, earthquakes, and hurricanes.

3. How much money did you spend applying to med schools?
5000+

4. If you could be any animal, what would it be?
Anything with wings because flying kicks major ass.

5. When you get to med school, the first week you are going to...
attend orientation and meet some peeps, maybe even find some people interested in doing some intramural basketball.

6. If you could meet one person in history, who would it be?
Richard Feynman

7. Desert, horrendously hot or it's a dry heat?
It's a dry heat. Out-of-staters..don't worry, you'll get used to it in a matter of weeks. Besides, it's not like classes are held outside. God bless A/C.

8. The specialty I have in mind right now is...
General surgery.

9. I went to _______ for undergraduate work.
Arizona State...GO DEVILS!!!!

10. # of glasses of water you'll drink daily in Arizona.
5-10. The rest of my liquid intake is taken care by the good people at Anheuser-Busch.

Members don't see this ad :)
siriceman64 said:

Hi! I'm an MSIV at AZCOM. I would suggest that when you come to town, try visiting the Student Services office on campus. They have a list of people looking for roommates. If I were you, I would consider living with an upperclassman. They can help you out quite a bit. And there are usually advertisements on bulletin boards around campus looking for roommates as well. Hope you have some luck.

And by the way, the fourth years will be in class until June 16 at noon. Feel free to introduce yourself. You'll probably get more leads on housing that way.

Good luck.

Cyndi

hrm...this sounds like an excellent idea. Upperclassmen...never thought of that...we'll see if the student services can get me any information over the phone.

Nick

gusterbyu said:
We're probably going with the school insurance just to make it easier, but it would be helpful if someone out there knew if there's a better deal for spouses and kids.

I just had my immunization stuff done at my local college health center, they seem to have a lot of kids come in for immunizations for grad school, so I figured that would be alright. (I sure hope so, it was like $150 for everything). I sent off all the copies of the info last week, so I'll let you know if they don't accept it. I came up negative on my Hep B titer though! I had the three shot series like 6 years ago and came out negative, so I had to get a 4th shot last week and it made me sicker than a dog (apparently a rare side effect). If you have to get any more shots, I'd go to the state travel clinic place on state street and 20 something south if you're in Salt Lake. I forgot exactly where it is, but it's a little cheaper.

I believe they want everything done before you start except the Hep B titers for those who are still taking the full series. This includes, someone correct me if I miss some:

Drug Screen
Hep B Surface Antibody
Hepatitis B #1
Hepatitis B #2
Hepatitis B #3
Measles Immunization #1
Measles Immunization #2
Measles Titer
Mumps Immunization #1
Mumps Titer
Rubella Immunization #1
Rubella Titer
TB step 1
TB step 2
TB Chest X-Ray (only if you come up positive)
Tetanus
Varicella Titer

Drug Screen?? I didn't see anything in the paperwork about this...did I just miss it. I thought I had everything done, but I have not done a drug screen. Anyone know if this is right??

Marjoe said:
Drug Screen?? I didn't see anything in the paperwork about this...did I just miss it. I thought I had everything done, but I have not done a drug screen. Anyone know if this is right??

No need to fret about this. It'll all be taken care of during orientation. I was told this by someone from Student Services, so you know it's credible. As far as "student health" goes, you don't need to do anything or have anything done prior to orientation, so just relax and try to enjoy your summer.

I was just wondering if anyone knew when our white coat ceremony is and if you can only invite a certain number of people? I just decided to go to AZCOM rather than CCOM, and know that for CCOM's white coat ceremony we could only invite two people.

Looking forward to meeting everyone shortly!

pnle119 said:
No need to fret about this. It'll all be taken care of during orientation. I was told this by someone from Student Services, so you know it's credible. As far as "student health" goes, you don't need to do anything or have anything done prior to orientation, so just relax and try to enjoy your summer.

Thanks. Good to know.

jw83 said:
I was just wondering if anyone knew when our white coat ceremony is and if you can only invite a certain number of people? I just decided to go to AZCOM rather than CCOM, and know that for CCOM's white coat ceremony we could only invite two people.

Looking forward to meeting everyone shortly!

Last year the white coat ceremony was held on December 3rd. I'm not sure how many people you can invite but it seemed that some students had their extended families in attendance. When you get here in August you'll understand why it's in December!

Inquiringmind24 said:
Last year the white coat ceremony was held on December 3rd. I'm not sure how many people you can invite but it seemed that some students had their extended families in attendance. When you get here in August you'll understand why it's in December!

It is on December 1 this year.

http://www.midwestern.edu/AZAcadCalMaster06_07.pdf

That was interesting to check out. Unlike last year, the MS1's and MS2's will have the exact same finals dates and vacations. It's good that we get two weeks off for fall break but bad that we get one less class free week to study for the boards.

Marjoe said:
Yeah, I checked my stuff today and they didn't count the drug screen I did :thumbdown: . That's what I get for being OCD dang it. :( Anyone doing the new Plus loans that have nothing to do with parents? I was given a link to a comparison chart between those and regular private loans, but it is obviously bias toward the PLUS loans. Any ideas?
https://www.midwestern.edu/FinAid/finaidDocs/gradplus.doc

Members don't see this ad :)
Graphic Designer
The weather was 30degrees warmer than home :eek: and they had rootbeer in the cafeteria...hmmm
$5000+ with travel
a rodent of some sort, I want to figure out whats so intriguing about running on that wheel.
try not to freak out
honestly no idea
I hate the cold, give me the heat any day.
IM, maybe sub in Allergy/Immunology
9. I went to _________ for undergraduate work.
Brigham Young Univ.
10. # of glasses of water you'll drink in Arizona per day.
You guys drink water?

gusterbyu said:
a rodent of some sort, I want to figure out whats so intriguing about running on that wheel.

A couple quick facts about rodents that you might enjoy as well. Mice can get pregnant 24 hours after birth, (the babies can get pregnant, that is!). Gestation period = 21 days. Given the right conditions, 2 mice can have 1,000,000 progeny in 1 year.

So as long as there's food for you and your family, rodent's would be a very group-oriented choice for an animal. Hope you like kids. :laugh:

Hey All,

Does anyone need housing next year? If so, I have a room available in a 4 bed/2 bath house available. The house is only 1.3 miles from school and it has a pool, sports court, and a park across the street. Rent will be $400/month (utilities not included). I can send pictures upon request. Enjoy the rest of you summers. [email protected]

Dusty

sdDO19 said:
Hey All,

Does anyone need housing next year? If so, I have a room available in a 4 bed/2 bath house available. The house is only 1.3 miles from school and it has a pool, sports court, and a park across the street. Rent will be $400/month (utilities not included). I can send pictures upon request. Enjoy the rest of you summers. [email protected]

Dusty

Just what I've been looking for. Upperclassmen?

siriceman64 said:
Just what I've been looking for. Upperclassmen?

Yeah, Dusty will be an MS-II next year. He lives in a sweet house with a pool and basketball court. I would look into this if I were you. That's a great deal for a great housing situation.

Olympic Freestyle Skier

My best friend and rightful heir to the Basha Supermarket Legacy will be there.

$5000+ with travel

A Velociraptor, species V. mongoliensis

Find out where the nearest Buffalo Wild Wings is.

Da Vinci, just to find out the real story of the last supper painting???

Fricken' hot, but what can you do.

Anesthesia or ENT

9. I went to _________ for undergraduate work.
Utah State University

I only drink Red Bull, otherwise known as Chuck Norris' urine.

goinverted said:
Find out where the nearest Buffalo Wild Wings is.

I only dring Red Bull, otherwise known as Chuck Norris' urine.

2 things: BW3's is AWESOME. And the last person to actually see Chuck Norris in person was Ray Charles. :laugh:

Okay, we're definitely starting to cook on this thread we're up to about 4-5 posts a day compared to the 1-2 a week before. We need to break through 300 posts before the end of July I think. Maybe before the end of June.

Word of the day: soporific

^ not sure where that came from, it just came to me. Maybe I'll put a new word tomorrow. Maybe you will. So excited about AZCOM 2010 Baby!!! :cool:

siriceman64 said:
2 things: BW3's is AWESOME. And the last person to actually see Chuck Norris in person was Ray Charles. :laugh:

Yeah, I thought about confiscating one of their winged buffalo chairs from the waiting area until I found out that Chuck Norris carved them with spit and a couple of his nose hairs.

Now that we are on the on the subject of words, I thought I'd throw in some words that bring back bad memories from first year:

Brachial Plexus
Conotruncal septum
Perineum
Supracardinal arteries and veins
Dartos fascia
Peyronies Disease
Pterygopalatine fossa
Pelvic splanchnic nerves
"The Cords of Bilroth"
Citric acid cycle, glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, carnitine shuttle, urea cycle, and all of those lovely enzymes....
ganglia of the head and neck
Organ of Corti
ion pumps of the nephron
medial longitudinal fasciculus
locus ceruleus
medial geniculate nucleus
stria terminalis
decerebrate posture
cuneocerebellar tract
Dorsal nucleus of Clarke
Broadmann areas
nucleus ambiguus
amygdaloid complex
the good ole Circuit of Papez

just something to look forward to :D

Inquiringmind24 said:
Now that we are on the on the subject of words, I thought I'd throw in some words that bring back bad memories from first year:

Brachial Plexus
Conotruncal septum
Perineum
Supracardinal arteries and veins
Dartos fascia
Peyronies Disease
Pterygopalatine fossa
Pelvic splanchnic nerves
"The Cords of Bilroth"
Citric acid cycle, glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, carnitine shuttle, urea cycle, and all of those lovely enzymes....
ganglia of the head and neck
Organ of Corti
ion pumps of the nephron
medial longitudinal fasciculus
locus ceruleus
medial geniculate nucleus
stria terminalis
decerebrate posture
cuneocerebellar tract
Dorsal nucleus of Clarke
Broadmann areas
nucleus ambiguus
amygdaloid complex
the good ole Circuit of Papez

just something to look forward to :D

well the cool thing is that I actually understand half those words... brachial plexus brings back nightmares (okay maybe not NIGHTMARES, but some frustration) from anatomy in undergrad...especially when the teacher is like "it easy, just remember the acronym...(drawing a blank)"

However I do still remember all the cranial nerves...the bad acronym way...OOOTTAFAGVAH. If you don't know the words, I'll teach them to you next year, cuz I never remember the acronym that is acceptable in public.

Man am I excited to enter that which is medical school!!! :)

When Dr. Fisher lectures on the upper extremity her memory aid for learning it is: "Randy Travis Drinks Cold Beer" That standing for Roots, Trunks, Divisions, Cords, and Branches. Plus, I found this cool research paper done by some MD's showing how to learn the brachial plexus in five minutes. I'll have to show it to you guys when the time comes. Although many people hated the brachial plexus and the upper extremity in anatomy, my least favorite was the Pelvis and Perineum unit which I thought was the hardest anatomy/histo/embryo exam that we took. Although head and neck was tough, it was my favorite unit. I didn't think learning the cranial nerves was all that bad. It just sucked when we had to learn their locations (tracts and nuclei) in the brainstem stained sections for neuro!

Inquiringmind24 said:
When Dr. Fisher lectures on the upper extremity her memory aid for learning it is: "Randy Travis Drinks Cold Beer" That standing for Roots, Trunks, Divisions, Cords, and Branches. Plus, I found this cool research paper done by some MD's showing how to learn the brachial plexus in five minutes. I'll have to show it to you guys when the time comes. Although many people hated the brachial plexus and the upper extremity in anatomy, my least favorite was the Pelvis and Perineum unit which I thought was the hardest anatomy/histo/embryo exam that we took. Although head and neck was tough, it was my favorite unit. I didn't think learning the cranial nerves was all that bad. It just sucked when we had to learn their locations (tracts and nuclei) in the brainstem stained sections for neuro!

Okay maybe I can wait 2.5 months for all of that stuff. I need to enjoy this summer... Stinking car died today...(We'll see if it's the battery, a short, or something worse) Thursday next week is going to be great but HOT when I get to AZ to find a place to live. Had to check on my deposit today. At first they said they didn't get it...No good... But then they said they had it so I relaxed and enjoyed a great day in the ER besides my car not starting to get home...guess I'll be walking tomorrow...

Starting to slack a bit are we, 24 hours and no posts....Grrr....is everybody on vacation? I feel like I'm taking a mini vacation/ good taste of the heat in Arizona this weekend. 15th-19th. Whew 108 for the average high, at least it's 10% humidity compared to the 88% here in Illinois. It's gonna be HOT HOT HOT. (I suppose many of you are already enjoying that and are probably tired of hearing about it). Any creative things you've seen people do with the extra sunlight in Arizona?

I remember in 5th grade making hotdog cooking machines out of foil and a cooler by just making the sun point towards the hotdog. It wasn't hot but it wasn't cold either. Too bad my lifes too complicated to make hot dog cooking machines anymore...

Maybe I ought to try cooking a hot dog outside in foil. I still want to try frying an egg on the street (especially the black asphalt). Once it hits late July I'll have to try it. Anyhow, it's pretty bad when a student from the class of 2009 has to help keep this thread going. But I'm happy to help keep the pulse going. Today my friend and I had the great idea of doing an 11 mile hike just outside of town. The two liters of water I brought weren't quite enough, so the hike out of the little canyon we were in was hot and miserable. So when you are here looking for a place to live I wouldn't advise doing any hiking :D

Totally agree with inquiringmind. We need to keep this pot a cookin'. Back to the AZCOM questions including the heat "hotdog" question listed above... Why did everyone choose AZCOM?

For me it was the weather/high board passing rates/newer facilities.

Nick

My choice was mainly between COMP (Pamona) and AZCOM. For me it all came down to the better fit for me. COMP seemed too much like a commuter school and I really didn't want to live in the LA area. Plus the housing prices were ridiculous there and I would have been required to commute a considerable distance. The programs seemed comparable, but I liked the fact that AZCOM had higher pass rates and that you had the option of traveling for quite a few rotations (although this won't be the case third year starting with our class). I was also waitlisted at CCOM and DMU. Those were both schools I liked, but I wasn't willing to do the extra work to try and get off the waitlist. Plus at both I would have been stuck in the midwest for for almost all of my rotations. My VR MCAT score took me out of the running at U of Colorado med, so I didn't want to retake that exam just to have another shot at cheap tuition. So AZCOM seemed like the natural choice and it's one that I'm glad I made. Things keep getting better here (except tuition) and I only see that trend continuing. Keep up the good questions Nick.

-Matt

I am from Texas and applied to the schools here, as well as out of state. I was waitlisted in Fort Worth. My MCAT is barely at the national average and I did not want to retest and wait another year just to stay in TX. My wife's cousin had applied consecutively 3 times just to get in to a TX school. No way was that going to happen for me.

I am an RN, BSN and like the way DO's are educated and decided to apply out of state and received acceptances to AZCOM, DMU, and Nova Southeastern. After the first acceptance letter, I stopped interviewing. I then waited for the match in Texas and when I was waitlisted, I decided to choose an out of state school.

I evaluated them on pass rates, residencies, and climate. AZCOM was a perfect match. It is hot like TX and has the highest Comlex step 1 pass rate in the Nation. Also the residencies that the current students are getting are great.

I also hear the golf is fantastic in Arizona.

I was accepted to DMU, Touro - CA, and waitlisted at Drexel. But, I chose AZCOM because I can't imagine myself living anywhere else...at least not yet. The campus at AZCOM really impressed me, the board pass rate was wonderful, and my friends who attend the school only have good things to say about it.

Oh, and the golf IS fantastic!

Marjoe said:

I remembered wrong. It was student health INSURANCE that will be taken care of during orientation. The immunizations have to be done prior to that. Sorry for the misinformation.

pnle119 said:
I remembered wrong. It was student health INSURANCE that will be taken care of during orientation. The immunizations have to be done prior to that. Sorry for the misinformation.

I think you can wait til orientation for the titers, too. And, from what I can tell, the drug screen is not something we have to get done, but something that the school can have you do anytime they want.

Marjoe said:
I think you can wait til orientation for the titers, too. And, from what I can tell, the drug screen is not something we have to get done, but something that the school can have you do anytime they want.

Anyone want to second that????

goinverted said:

Sounds correct but I'm not sure. You guys are awesome almost 10 posts in 24 hours....keep it rolling and we'll catch up to DMU 2010 in well...50 days...

siriceman64 said:
Sounds correct but I'm not sure. You guys are awesome almost 10 posts in 24 hours....keep it rolling and we'll catch up to DMU 2010 in well...50 days...

There's a lab in the area that we can go to in order to get the titers done at what's supposed to be a lower price than if we get them done before we get to school. And, I was told that the drug screen's are done as needed by the different clinics and hospitals that we'll be in. Hope that helps.

Don't eat too many poppy seeds or take any migraine medicine by accident before your drug test... Had a friend do the 2nd one... I think mythbusters proved poppy seeds can give you positives. I'm just saying...

Question of the day: Who has been accepted for the longest or for the shortest period of time? (Insert yourself between)

::Longest::

May 12 siriceman64 (June 9 postmark date)

::Shortest::

siriceman64 said:
Don't eat too many poppy seeds or take any migraine medicine by accident before your drug test... Had a friend do the 2nd one... I think mythbusters proved poppy seeds can give you positives. I'm just saying...

Yeah, once I applied for a job and they said I failed the drug test due to the presence of morphine in my system. I had my wisdom teeth out two days before the drug test and I guess the pain killers threw it off. :laugh:

siriceman64 said:
Question of the day: Who has been accepted for the longest or for the shortest period of time? (Insert yourself between)

::Longest::

October 5 caliri23

May 12 siriceman64 (June 9 postmark date)

::Shortest::

goinverted said:

Kathy Gibson from Student Services told me that the immunizations have to be done (or documentation thereof be submitted) before the start of orientation. The titers, however, as I remembered from being told by the Dean of SS, could be done within the first 1-2 weeks after classes start. In fact, for some reason that I can't recall, he even recommended that we not do the titers until after orientation.

I didn't get my titres done last year until fall break which was in late November. It's pretty expensive so be willing to fork over some cash. Plus, you have to get that TB test done which I also did over fall break. So bottom line, don't feel pressured to get them done before classes start.

Inquiringmind24 said:
I didn't get my titres done last year until fall break which was in late November. It's pretty expensive so be willing to fork over some cash. Plus, you have to get that TB test done which I also did over fall break. So bottom line, don't feel pressured to get them done before classes start.

Somebody mentioned $200-300 for the titers, but the way you described it, it sounds like it's $200-300 PER titer. Should I assume this to be correct? Did the total cost of the titers exceed $1000 when you did it?

pnle119 said:
Somebody mentioned $200-300 for the titers, but the way you described it, it sounds like it's $200-300 PER titer. Should I assume this to be correct? Did the total cost of the titers exceed $1000 when you did it?

According to the link you posted above, the cost of the titers was considered in AZCOM's financial aid package. So, if you are getting financial aid from AZCOM, that should cover it.

Plus, I don't think it will be more than a few hundred dollars.

pnle119 said:

$200-300 sounds about right. Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you guys :D
It is included in the financial aid package so you can use loan money to pay for if you need to.

thread cooking with titres...200 posts HERE WE COME... Anybody know of upperclassmen looking for roommates or people that have rooms available? Be there on Friday-Monday 16-19.

Thanks
Nick

Hey there,

I work at Phoenix children's hospital and they did my titers to work there. There is still one extra that I have to get done, but they told me they would do it for free. If any of you are here for the summer, you can volunteer there at the very least and get them to pay for all of that. They may do that at other hospitals also, I don't know for sure though. Plus, we could always use some good volunteers to be bedside volunteers.

I was considering volunteering at PCH, but I'm leaving town on Saturday and won't be back until before orientation. Perhaps when I get back I'll contact them about volunteering every now and then. When I lived in CO I volunteered at The Children's Hosptial in Denver which was a great experience. I will contact you, aflo before I apply for a position.