AZCOM vs MSUCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

loopas

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been accepted to AZCOM as well as MSUCOM. I am aware that MSUCOM 's tuition is higher even after waiving $20,000 Canadian Initiative Scholarship. Other than cost, any other suggestions/insight to help me decide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If money is your number one priority then AZCOM, but if you want excellent clinical rotations then MSU should be your best bet.

Reactions: 2 users
I would say MSU. They have a lot of opportunities for students and their students match to major hospitals in MI. I have a few friends that go there and they love the program and one of them matched at Beaumont for residency. in addition, MI is very accepting to the DO profession. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
@Natural Killer Cell
Do you have any word of wisdom to give here?

Well I'm only a lowly first-year, but I got into both, and chose MSU. There's about 25-30 Canadians in our class, and they seem to be doing fine. It was an easy decision for me since MSU is an in-state B10 school, cheaper and close to home, the SCS is great, and MI is a DO-friendly state.

Glendale seemed okay (you'll trade MI winters for AZ summers), but it's not as if there's a ton of free time to go out and enjoy Phoenix (and you obviously can go out in college town East Lansing when there's time too). Also, I remember my student guide saying AZCOM has a lot of tests, and sounded a bit burnt out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm only a lowly first-year, but I got into both, and chose MSU. There's about 25-30 Canadians in our class, and they seem to be doing fine. It was an easy decision for me since MSU is an in-state B10 school, cheaper and close to home, the SCS is good and all in MI, and MI is a DO-friendly state.

Glendale seemed okay (you'll trade MI winters for AZ summers), but it's not like there's a ton of free time to go out and enjoy Phoenix (and you obviously can go out in college town East Lansing when there's time). Also, I remember my student guide saying AZCOM has a lot of tests, and sounded a bit burnt out.

AZCOM has a test almost every Monday. Also, their clinical rotations that are outside AZ can be a hit or miss.

AZCOM has a test almost every Monday. Also, their clinical rotations that are outside AZ can be a hit or miss.

Right now, we have an exam every two weeks on Monday. Dunno if it'll change in later semesters, but I like having one 'off' weekend to catch-up on any material and not have to study all day.

OP: Cost is a critical factor, but also go where you think you'll be happy (can succeed better) and get the most out of it.

Reactions: 1 users
Right now, we have an exam every two weeks on Monday. Dunno if it'll change in later semesters, but I like having one 'off' weekend to catch-up on any material and not have to study all day.

OP: Cost is a critical factor, but also go where you think you'll be happy (can succeed better) and get the most out of it.
Thanks everyone. Does anyone know which of the three campuses is better at MSU? Thanks :)

Well I am not in med school yet but this is my top choice so I have been doing a lot of research. I think the Detroit campus is the best. Its in a great location, right by 3 big hospitals. There is just so much to do in Detroit in your free/not so free time. I have been there and the people were very nice. The number of students attend this campus is lower than the Lansing one, so you will get more attention :D

Thanks everyone. Does anyone know which of the three campuses is better at MSU? Thanks :)

I chose EL. Having gone to the rival school for undergrad, I wanted to still live on a campus (not going to get this opportunity again). Plus more people to meet. Fee Hall, of course, is a bit of an old building. I think most of the Canadians chose to be at EL, in my class anyway (it's a new experience for some of them).

I've never been inside DMC, but I've been outside of it, and around Midtown Detroit. It's a nice area, adjacent to the hospitals, and if you prefer having only 50 or so classmates, there ya go. I've been to the Macomb site though; everything is pretty new, and parking is right outside the building (and free!) IIRC. Also, it's a pretty busy Metro suburb, and has malls, food, etc all really close by, and like DMC, has ~50 students.

I chose EL. Having gone to the rival school for undergrad, I wanted to still live on a campus (not going to get this opportunity again). Plus more people to meet. Fee Hall, of course, is a bit of an old building. I think most of the Canadians chose to be at EL, in my class anyway (it's a new experience for some of them).

I've never been inside DMC, but I've been outside of it, and around Midtown Detroit. It's a nice area, adjacent to the hospitals, and if you prefer having only 50 or so classmates, there ya go. I've been to the Macomb site though; everything is pretty new, and parking is right outside the building (and free!) IIRC. Also, it's a pretty busy Metro suburb, and has malls, food, etc all really close by, and like DMC, has ~50 students.

Thank you. Is there any Canadian student on either at DMC or Macomb I can message? I did not like EL so would like to get some idea about the other two campuses i.e. facilities, research opportunities, rotation, accommodation, parking etc. Thank you in advance:)

Thank you. Is there any Canadian student on either at DMC or Macomb I can message? I did not like EL so would like to get some idea about the other two campuses i.e. facilities, research opportunities, rotation, accommodation, parking etc. Thank you in advance:)

What didn't you like about EL? I'm sure somebody at DMC or MUC would help, but I don't know any unfortunately. Perhaps contact admissions?

What didn't you like about EL? I'm sure somebody at DMC or MUC would help, but I don't know any unfortunately. Perhaps contact admissions?
Thank you. Facilities seem very old and town also seems very depressing. I was told no parking on campus and town didn't seem transit friendly, so how do people communte in the winter.

Last edited:
Thank you. Facilities seem very old and town also seems very depressing. I was told no parking on campus and town didn't seem transit friendly, so how do people communte in the winter.

I wouldn't say EL is depressing considering it has a huge campus, but okay. There is parking on campus - it just costs several hundred for the year at a nearby parking lot. Parking is free after 6 anywhere. I don't know about transit frequency, but there is the CATA.

I wouldn't say EL is depressing considering it has a huge campus, but okay. There is parking on campus - it just costs several hundred for the year at a nearby parking lot. Parking is free after 6 anywhere. I don't know about transit frequency, but there is the CATA.
Thank you for your input. I will try to visit Detroit campus and then decide between MSU and AZCOM. Thankfully, I still have almost two months to decide.

Thank you for your input. I will try to visit Detroit campus and then decide between MSU and AZCOM. Thankfully, I still have almost two months to decide.

Keep in mind that you can transfer between campuses (spots will open up usually due to turnover). I know of one person who moved to either MUC/DMC after the summer.

Hi,

I'm a Canadian, and I am in the same situation as you. Which school did you end up attending and what were the largest factors that you took into consideration? I am struggling to decide between AZCOM and MSUCOM.