2023-2024 Midwestern University (Glendale, Arizona) AZCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received:

1. List any relative who is an osteopathic physician:​
NameRelationshipOsteopathic College AttendedYear Graduated
The following three sections are REQUIRED components of this supplemental application and must be completed in order to submit your completed application. Your responses to the essay questions may NOT exceed 1,500 characters. Any text in excess of this amount will NOT be saved and will be LOST.

You may wish to compose your essay answers in a word processor and copy and paste them into the applicable fields on the form below. Please save your entries as you progress through the application by periodically clicking on the "Save Answer" buttons next to each of the questions. This will prevent possible loss of your work should you lose your Internet connection.

Please Note: The text boxes below are plain text only and have been programmed to eliminate any unnecessary spaces between paragraphs or words and will automatically reformat your essay responses to one continuous paragraph.

Applicants understand that MWU-AZCOM maintains the right to deny matriculation or continued enrollment to any student who incompletely or falsely submits information orally or in writing in support of admission or if the information cannot be verified to the satisfaction of MWU-AZCOM.
2. List if you have a letter of recommendation from an AZCOM/CCOM affiliate (i.e., Alumni, Preceptor, etc.)​
NameRelationshipAffiliated COM
AZCOM CCOM
AZCOM CCOM
3. Have you worked with (ie: shadowing, scribing, medical assistant, etc) a DO?​
Yes No
4. Have you observed OMM treatment?​
Yes No
5. How did you become aware of Midwestern University/AZCOM?​
0/1500
6. Why do you believe AZCOM would provide you with the type of osteopathic medical education you are seeking?​
0/1500
7. Upload a copy of your resume or curriculum vitae, which will include, but not be limited to the following information:​
  • Educational History (colleges attended and degrees earned)
  • Employment History
  • Medically related work and volunteer experiences
  • College extracurricular activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Community activities, honors, and leadership responsibilities
  • Hobbies and nonacademic interests

Just got an email stating that my GPA falls below the 2.75 threshold for review. My cGPA is 3.81 as calculated by AACOMAS. I checked the pdf that gets sent to schools and it clearly shows that it’s above 2.75. Has anyone else had this happen or know why this occurred?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an email stating that my GPA falls below the 2.75 threshold for review. My cGPA is 3.81 as calculated by AACOMAS. I checked the pdf that gets sent to schools and it clearly shows that it’s above 2.75. Has anyone else had this happen or know why this occurred?
I would definitely reach out to the school. Has this happened for other schools or just AZCOM?

@Jchem2 Are you IS or OOS? I just submitted my secondary on the 20th.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Jchem did you mean your AACOMAS application was verified and you received the AZCOM secondary invitation? Or did you actually receive an interview invitation? Based on the last few years threads AZCOM doesn’t typically start sending out interview invitations until august.

For those MCAT retakers like me, I confirmed with admissions that they won't review your application w/ old score until your new score comes in. So...kinda no point submitting early lol

anyone else recieved IIs? super bummed I haven't gotten mine yet
Hey everyone- on SDN we use “secondaries” to mean doing your secondary essays, and II stands for Interview Invitation.
It takes time to figure out the abbreviations and conventions on a new website

Hey everyone- on SDN we use “secondaries” to mean doing your secondary essays, and II stands for Interview Invitation.
It takes time to figure out the abbreviations and conventions on a new website
Yeah - i meant interview invites? It seems some ppl started receiving them

Jchem did you mean your AACOMAS application was verified and you received the AZCOM secondary invitation? Or did you actually receive an interview invitation? Based on the last few years threads AZCOM doesn’t typically start sending out interview invitations until august.
oh yes, i am sorry. i thought II meant secondaries. i have just received secondary apps:)

Received II for this upcoming class starting at the end of July 2023! Applied for 2024 cycle

I submitted the secondary 6/19/23. IS, cGPA 3.95, sGPA 3.91, MCAT 508

Also incoming M1 at AZCOM here. Feel free to ask any questions about the admissions process and I wish you all the best this coming cycle!

I submitted my secondaries on 5/24 and my application was marked complete on 5/25, so does this mean I shouldn’t be expecting an interview invite from them? or does it work differently?

I submitted my secondaries on 5/24 and my application was marked complete on 5/25, so does this mean I shouldn’t be expecting an interview invite from them? or does it work differently?
not everyone who completes a secondary will be interviewed.
When you have done your part and turned everything in, there can be days, weeks, or months of waiting for the next news.

How are yall approaching the 'how'd you become aware' question? I would have considered it a 'why us' essay except for the fact that that's more of the next question.
Are they simply trying to gauge what marketing works?

Hey everyone, I submitted my AZCOM secondary yesterday and received an email that they had all my materials. I noticed that in the portal, they didn't have a section for the LORS unlike CCOM. Was wondering if you all have LORS listed in your AZCOM portal?

Sorry for the neurotic question

Hey everyone, I submitted my AZCOM secondary yesterday and received an email that they had all my materials. I noticed that in the portal, they didn't have a section for the LORS unlike CCOM. Was wondering if you all have LORS listed in your AZCOM portal?

Sorry for the neurotic question
nope, I also don't. I only have it for ccom too

Is it too late to submit an application late Aug or early Sept?

Is it too late to submit an application late Aug or early Sept?
No that's on time for DO but late for MD.

Honestly with AACOMAS it really just matters when you get/ turn in secondaries since their verification is quick. So if you have secondaries prewritten you're basically equivalent to even some people who applied earlier as you

Just going to leave this on all the schools I applied to, I did receive secondaries from every DO school:

Submitted all 16 DO Schools on 5/28/23... Verified 5/31/23

States: 3.73 Science, 3.77 Overall, 501 (125/122/127/127) and 508 (125/125/127/131)

For this school, secondary received: 6/1/23

Hey everyone, wanted to see if anyone has advice regarding my situation. I applied for the 2024 cycle with all intentions of starting med school next year. Yesterday I got a call from AZCOM saying they would like to interview me for a place in their 2023 entering class starting July 31st. I love the Phoenix area and completed my undergrad there but I live over 1,000 miles away so I feel like leaving home and finding a place to move to in Glendale and starting school in less than 2 weeks could be a little hectic. Outside of the rushed timeline, the only other con I really have with AZCOM is the price. I have a virtual interview scheduled for July 26th and would assume I would hear an admissions decision quickly after that. Has anyone happened to have a scenario like this before where they are admitted to the cycle a year earlier than expected, or have any other advice in general?

Reactions: 2 users
First off - congrats! This is a solid opportunity and allows you to earn an attending salary 1 year earlier. Frankly it comes down to figuring out if you're competitive for other schools - if you think you'll end up at a school similar to AZCOM (e.g., CCOM, KCOM, etc.) then it would make sense taking. If you think you'll get in somewhere else that's closer to home, etc, then it's worth holding off on. My 2 cents are that I would take it given the option, but to each their own. Keep us updated!

Hey everyone, wanted to see if anyone has advice regarding my situation. I applied for the 2024 cycle with all intentions of starting med school next year. Yesterday I got a call from AZCOM saying they would like to interview me for a place in their 2023 entering class starting July 31st. I love the Phoenix area and completed my undergrad there but I live over 1,000 miles away so I feel like leaving home and finding a place to move to in Glendale and starting school in less than 2 weeks could be a little hectic. Outside of the rushed timeline, the only other con I really have with AZCOM is the price. I have a virtual interview scheduled for July 26th and would assume I would hear an admissions decision quickly after that. Has anyone happened to have a scenario like this before where they are admitted to the cycle a year earlier than expected, or have any other advice in general?
I think I’d say yes. That attending salary early and being younger during the grind of residency is big. Not doing it could cost hundreds of thousands.

First off - congrats! This is a solid opportunity and allows you to earn an attending salary 1 year earlier. Frankly it comes down to figuring out if you're competitive for other schools - if you think you'll end up at a school similar to AZCOM (e.g., CCOM, KCOM, etc.) then it would make sense taking. If you think you'll get in somewhere else that's closer to home, etc, then it's worth holding off on. My 2 cents are that I would take it given the option, but to each their own. Keep us updated!
Thank you! I really appreciate the advice. I have a 503 MCAT and 3.70 cGPA along with 250ish hours of varied volunteering, about 150 hours shadowing about 8 or so different physicians, and no research. I'm from Northern Idaho so there isn't necessarily a ton of schools super close to home, and personally I do not feel most of the schools close to home have the reputation AZCOM has. University of Washington guarantees 40 seats to Idaho residents and has discounted tuition for Idahoans so that has always been kind of my dream, but I wouldn't want to turn down a good opportunity (AZCOM) without having a guarantee that I would even be considered at UW, or any other MD or DO school for that matter. I found out July 31st is the AZCOM orientation, so the good news would be that I could have another week to get situated before beginning classes. I'm excited for my interview on the 26th and will post my decision!

Reactions: 3 users
I think I’d say yes. That attending salary early and being younger during the grind of residency is big. Not doing it could cost hundreds of thousands.
That's true, I didn't really consider that angle so thank you. Compared to other DO schools do you know if AZCOM students tend to match into more competitive residencies? I am still pretty unsure what exactly I want to specialize in but if the opportunity to match into something competitive was there I would want to pursue it.

That's true, I didn't really consider that angle so thank you. Compared to other DO schools do you know if AZCOM students tend to match into more competitive residencies? I am still pretty unsure what exactly I want to specialize in but if the opportunity to match into something competitive was there I would want to pursue it.
There is a match list from this spring in the DO Students forum. We did have a neurosurgery match and quite a few other good ones.

I imagine they would grant you some leniency with attending orientation even if you were to be accepted this late & there's definitely plenty of apartments in town so finding somewhere to live shouldn't be too hard.

As someone who went through multiple cycles before getting an acceptance, I would take the opportunity to interview. A missed year of attending salary if you got in 1 year later vs the higher tuition at AZCOM if you got in this year makes it a bit of a wash financially (this is an estimate without knowing numbers from where you'd hypothetically get in, obviously).

Look into public loan forgiveness program if the tuition is what’s holding you back!