This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ineedauniqueusername

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering why histidine < lysine < arginine are in this order of increasing basicity, if histidine has a more stable conjugate acid (protonated form) due to resonance?
 
Would it be because the resonance allows for a more stable acid with higher strength, thus less basicity [ and a lower strength in terms of basicity]?
A stronger base will have a more stable (weaker) conjugate acid, i.e. the conjugate acid will be happy keeping an additional proton in its squad. I think this is what you meant, but needed to clarify.
 
A stronger base will have a more stable (weaker) conjugate acid, i.e. the conjugate acid will be happy keeping an additional proton in its squad. I think this is what you meant, but needed to clarify.
Right. In the most simplest of terms, I always learned it as a balance: Whatever is high, means it'll be low in the other based on those above tendencies you talked about.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile