This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ineedauniqueusername

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering why histidine < lysine < arginine are in this order of increasing basicity, if histidine has a more stable conjugate acid (protonated form) due to resonance?

Members don't see this ad.

Would it be because the resonance allows for a more stable acid with higher strength, thus less basicity [ and a lower strength in terms of basicity]?

Would it be because the resonance allows for a more stable acid with higher strength, thus less basicity [ and a lower strength in terms of basicity]?
A stronger base will have a more stable (weaker) conjugate acid, i.e. the conjugate acid will be happy keeping an additional proton in its squad. I think this is what you meant, but needed to clarify.

Reactions: 1 user
A stronger base will have a more stable (weaker) conjugate acid, i.e. the conjugate acid will be happy keeping an additional proton in its squad. I think this is what you meant, but needed to clarify.
Right. In the most simplest of terms, I always learned it as a balance: Whatever is high, means it'll be low in the other based on those above tendencies you talked about.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user