BCOM vs. ACOM vs. ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QueenJames

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So there you have it folks. My cycle may be coming to close unless I get a few more II near my home state. I would REALLY like to hear from current students or others who have experience with the following schools about what they would choose.

BCOM:

Pros: faculty that is established and has been apart of MD schools set up.
- new facilities, new supplies
- Caring faculty and ability to be apart of the inaugural class
- teaching hospitals and the like apart of the rotation scheme
- affordable rent and cost of living
- affiliated with NMSU and we get to use their facilities!
- many chances to have audition rotations the 4th year
- encourage us to take the USMLE and offer prep courses! :)

Cons:
Far from home - I'm from SoCal so this would be quite the flight and drive.
First class.. guinea pigs kind of...
Can switch up the curriculum and make changes at any time...
Anymore??

ACOM:

Pros:
The medical center associated with ACOM seemed too legit to quit.
thus, the rotations should be pretty top notch?

Cons:
It's in alabama... which is quite the flight and an interesting location to be at. I liked it.. but wouldn't want to live there for 4 years.
No Match list... but the board pass rates were like 2% lower than the nation average which isn't bad i guess?

ATSU-SOM
Pros:
VERY close to home. Also affords me the chance to come back to California for years 2-4. SUPER plus for me. I
ll only be about 3 hours from home due to the Visalia CHC.
Phoenix is an okay town with good food and the school is established.
Has match list with some interesting results
good residency placement rate.

Cons:
Not too sure about the online learning we do the second year. Essentially learn everything through video podcasts.
How do the rotations work? Will we learn a lot by rotating at smaller clinics vs. teaching hospitals?
Kind of push the primary care thing which I'm totally down for... but still unsure of.

If anybody has anything more to add, please by all means do so! I hope this helps somebody else in the same boat. If there are any current students I would love to talk to you about your experiences and what you would do differently if you were in my shoes. I appreciate it!

I think given how important it is to you to be close to home, that ATSU-SOMA is the clear choice. It's also the only one of the three that has graduated a class. When I interviewed there, I got mixed messages about how much they pushed primary care... but they certainly have had some awesome specialty matches, so I wouldn't be too worried about that.

yeah, clearly ATSU-SOMA is the best choice for you in my opinion, good luck in your decision!

You want to go to a school close to home because family support is important during medical school. You also want to go to an established school with established rotation sites and preceptors since a new school should only be an option when you have no other options since being the guinea pig isn't fun. That's why I said that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's really a personal choice. I myself know which school I would go to but it's just me and many factors matter to me.

@SLC , @DocWinter could probably help assist you with at least 2 of the schools.

Personally, out of all the new schools, I thought ACOM has/had the most going for it. But, this was a personal preference.

I'm a 2nd year at ACOM.
I'm not from the south and yes, it sure was a change. It's semi-rural Alabama and if you are from a large town it takes some adjusting to.
Our rotation sites are all across AL, up to Birmingham, Huntsville, mobile and other large cities, also Tallahassee. Word from our 3rd year students are positive. So you can do two years in Dothan and then go elsewhere.
I personally believe the program to be very good and I'm impressed with the quality of education, with a couple exceptions on faculty turnover.
Yes, our board pass rates were just below nat. Average for the inaugural class, which is actually quite good. The stats have been going up each year in the admissions dept also.
Pm me if you have specific Qs

ATSU-SOMA being more established, having good match lists and close to home for you!

Last edited:
I'd say tour seems like a great option. although visalia is closer to home from my experience it is so desolate out there! so far I'm on a similar struggle SOMA is well established and I would also be closer to home (Cali). However ACOM also has well established rotations and has plenty of resources for the students. I also have my husband and toddler to consider :/

Pretty simple. SOMA is miles more established. Bcom would be cool in theory to be an inaugural class, but it is not worth it to gamble your future. I also interviewed at SOMA and Touro. And Touro Nevada was miserable. Didn't like the school at all. Plus I think new schools are popping in Vegas area and there will be more competition for rotations.

Are you sitting on an acceptance from ATSU SOMA? Remember that some CHCs are close to home but some will be very far away. If you've been accepted and they've already told you where you'll be, I think that's your winner.

/

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
There is no contest here. ATSU-SOMA. Don't underestimate how important having a support network is for medical school. Medical school is stressful (to say the least). There will be a lot of days you ask yourself, "why am I doing this?" And, there are days you'll want to quit. I would have done anything to stay close to where I had my best support system (unfortunately, none of the three schools that accepted me (Touro-NV, Nova and ATSU-KCOM) allowed for this).

/

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I would still choose SOMA, in your case (and hopefully mine in 2017) it's a "hidden" CA medical school since you are spending 3 years at the CA CHC.

Figured I'd bump this thread with news that I got an II to touro-NV about a week ago ( *cue my Shmurda dance*). Figured I'd give it a go and see how I like the program. If anybody has anything to add, please feel free! I appreciate all the help that SDN and its wonderful members contribute!

Lol. You're having a great cycle from the looks of it. Are You URM by any chance?

Hey Folks!
Figured I'd update for those interested (if anybody still is lol)
Was supposed to be hearing back from Touro anytime but have been notified that they are behind so most likely will get a decision back in early December. I need to start working on my immunizations!

Hey Folks!
Figured I'd update for those interested (if anybody still is lol)
Was supposed to be hearing back from Touro anytime but have been notified that they are behind so most likely will get a decision back in early December. I need to start working on my immunizations!

Where did you decide to go in the end??

Last edited:
ATSU-SOM - only California, and of course it is close to your home. So...
What dod you choose?

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users