2023-2024 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PapaGuava

The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please feel free to tag a pre-medical moderator once the secondary prompt has been posted.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Secondary received 6/10 OOS! They actually changed their secondaries this year I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone post the prompts?
1) what do you feel you can contribute to ATSU-SOMA
2) Describe when you had to persevere in a challenge or obstacle, and what keeps you motivated to keep going towards your goals
3) Any info you would like to share to the admissions commitee

2) Describe when you had to persevere in a challenge or obstacle, and what keeps you motivated to keep going towards your goals
3) Any info you would like to share to the admissions commitee
thank you! Looks like they changed their secondaries quite a bit from previous years

3) Any info you would like to share to the admissions commiteeC
Could you share the word count for each prompt?

Is anyone here a hometown scholar? If so, do you think itll be okay to talk about your community involvement and how that'll make you a great candidate in the secondary? Or should we show no bias toward CHC?

Is anyone here a hometown scholar? If so, do you think itll be okay to talk about your community involvement and how that'll make you a great candidate in the secondary? Or should we show no bias toward CHC?
I am. I don't see why not. From my understanding, the whole point of being a hometown scholar is that you want to come back and serve your community.

I also applied hometown scholar and wrote about my community because it made a big difference for me

Just going to leave this on all the schools I applied to, I did receive secondaries from every DO school:

Submitted all 16 DO Schools on 5/28/23... Verified 5/31/23

States: 3.73 Science, 3.77 Overall, 501 (125/122/127/127) and 508 (125/125/127/131)

For this school, secondary received: 6/1/23

Members don't see this ad :)
did yall end up writing anything for the "Is there anything else you would like to share with the SOMA Admissions Committee about your application?"
i really just want to leave it blank cause I dont want to write obviously lol

did yall end up writing anything for the "Is there anything else you would like to share with the SOMA Admissions Committee about your application?"
i really just want to leave it blank cause I dont want to write obviously lol
yeah I did

Where are students getting the notification for the II? Is it via e-mail or the portal?

what did you talk about? gaps in your application? diversity? i have no clue what to say but i dont wanna leave it blank
I basically did a why us essay, sprinkled a but of diversity in there too

Applied mid-July but haven't heard back (good or bad), my neuroticism is through the roof

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6 users
They really had to start that virtual events email with "You're invited..." huh lol

I went and did a tour here recently (within the last month). The admissions person I met with told me that starting next year they will not have any lectures. It sounded like you will have to teach yourself from the book and it’s mandatory to meet in groups each week. Has anyone else heard something similar?

• Wow
Anyone on here that interviewed yesterday know when we can expect to hear about the decision?

Anyone on here that interviewed yesterday know when we can expect to hear about the decision?
How was the interview? Low/High Stress? Out of the blue questions? Any tips?

Interviewing in a few weeks, email said 2-3 weeks after interview they will inform you of decision (phone call if A, email if R)

How was the interview? Low/High Stress? Out of the blue questions? Any tips?

Interviewing in a few weeks, email said 2-3 weeks after interview they will inform you of decision (phone call if A, email if R)
The interview was fine. Pretty low stress, and everyone was really nice. I had two very different interviewers which was interesting, but overall a good experience. My experience though was a little unique. I was only asked like 4 questions total between the two 25 min interviews, but my friend had each one interviewer run through a list of 7 questions each. Nothing crazy though. I did not have time for questions so if you have any I would try to get them in before the end, but again, my experience might have been a little different. Also make sure you really understand what osteopathic medicine is and maybe know a little bit about A.T. Still

Reactions: 2 users
I went and did a tour here recently (within the last month). The admissions person I met with told me that starting next year they will not have any lectures. It sounded like you will have to teach yourself from the book and it’s mandatory to meet in groups each week. Has anyone else heard something similar?
I just interviewed here yesterday, and yes they said they are switching to CBLs instead of lectures which isn't necessarily teaching yourself everything, but it will be more dependent on the student to learn the material. They still have lots of resources to help supplement learning though. And yes, there are like 2-3 two hour group sessions each week if I remember correctly.

ATSU really shouldn’t be starting any email with “you’re invited” that’s not an interview

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users