2023-2024 A.T. Still University (Mesa, Arizona) ATSU-SOMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got a A just now. interviewed on 11/13. Good luck to every one.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
+IS II (received back on 11/9 but the only interview date available for me was 1/8/24)

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my acceptance. Best of luck, everyone!

I withdrew my acceptance today after touring another DO school I'd been accepted at. Hopefully my seat goes to one of you! Best of luck everyone!

withdrew my interview invite today. the reviews of this school are very disheartening! good luck everyone!

withdrew my interview invite today. the reviews of this school are very disheartening! good luck everyone!
Are you mostly referring to the stuff on last year's SDN thread? I've talked to so many students that actually go there that are happy with their decision. I feel like SDN is mostly where people post the bad stuff and not anything good. Have you seen other things?

Reactions: 1 user
Withdrew my II here. Hope it goes to one of y’all :)

Hello! Are any AT STILL students willing to share their current experiences with this school :)

Received OOS ii on Friday. Scheduled for end of February. Would love to hear about other’s experiences!

Members don't see this ad :)
Received OOS ii on Friday. Scheduled for end of February. Would love to hear about other’s experiences!
It was a very chill interview! They release a schedule so you see what is planned for the day. My interviewers were nice and honest with me. My favorite interview this cycle. Feel free to dm me if you have other questions :)

It was a very chill interview! They release a schedule so you see what is planned for the day. My interviewers were nice and honest with me. My favorite interview this cycle. Feel free to dm me if you have other questions :)

Awesome sounds good! I’d love to stay in AZ, close to home in CA. Happy to hear this

I just got my acceptance! I spoke to several current students that helped ease my mind about concerns I had for the program and the faculty were open and honest during the interview. All DO schools will have their down sides but overall I'm very happy with my choice to come here. I am grateful to be able to continue further my medical education at a well known institution!

Reactions: 5 users
I just got my acceptance! I spoke to several current students that helped ease my mind about concerns I had for the program and the faculty were open and honest during the interview. All DO schools will have their down sides but overall I'm very happy with my choice to come here. I am grateful to be able to continue further my medical education at a well known institution!
Yayy congrats!! I felt the same way! Nobody is grateful for anything these days lol

I'm still waiting on my results here post interview, but if you have any insight to more about the curriculum I would love to hear it! I went and fell in love with the school itself and the faculty were so welcoming- but I still remain skeptical about how newer the curriculum is.

I'm still waiting on my results here post interview, but if you have any insight to more about the curriculum I would love to hear it! I went and fell in love with the school itself and the faculty were so welcoming- but I still remain skeptical about how newer the curriculum is.
From my understanding, they have been using this curriculum for three years now. It sounds like it is all active and hands on learning without lectures, which I actually prefer and think it will help students gain a better understanding of the material and will be easier to translate to the clinical side. I also have researched other school's curriculum and it seems like many are transitioning to this type of teaching.

OOS II recieved just now, secondary submitted 10/22

Reactions: 4 users
This school sucks. dont come here. here is what a friend of a friend told me- people in this area (primary care physicians) might I add have no idea what this school is and only accept midwestern students for residency. they constantly put their students down and discourage them from specializing. they make everything mandatory attendance which in turn causes people to lose out on study time and fail and then they kick them out. if you get in literally nowhere else, wait another year and apply again. dont come here

This school sucks. dont come here. here is what a friend of a friend told me- people in this area (primary care physicians) might I add have no idea what this school is and only accept midwestern students for residency. they constantly put their students down and discourage them from specializing. they make everything mandatory attendance which in turn causes people to lose out on study time and fail and then they kick them out. if you get in literally nowhere else, wait another year and apply again. dont come here
I see students do match in California though.. why would SOMA have such a high match rate if it wasn’t an okay school?

I see students do match in California though.. why would SOMA have such a high match rate if it wasn’t an okay school?
Matching into a Transitional Year Residency is basically a gap year because you did not get into a residency you wanted. The "100% match" that some schools report is only technically true, but not true if you want to be like a surgeon or something.

Anyways, I'm driving up to Mesa for my interview this Monday, is anyone else getting ready for their interview? I'm pretty nervous about it.

I know SOMA grads that got accepted in Gilbert for their residencies so that's not necessarily true. And also it's no secret that their main focus is creating primary care physicians, it's all over their website and that's a core part of most DO school missions, they talk about that in their info sessions and the interview day so it's not like the school keeps that a secret...

Matching into a Transitional Year Residency is basically a gap year because you did not get into a residency you wanted. The "100% match" that some schools report is only technically true, but not true if you want to be like a surgeon or something.

Anyways, I'm driving up to Mesa for my interview this Monday, is anyone else getting ready for their interview? I'm pretty nervous about it.
I had mine a couple of weeks ago. It's very chill and the faculty are all very nice. Felt like one of my only interviews where nobody was trying to trip me up they genuinely just wanted to know more about me. There's a group activity and two one:oops:ne interviews with faculty - and then they do a demo of the hololens virtual anatomy and OMM demo

OOS II about 30 minutes ago but only seeing options for on-campus interviews which is kind of a bummer

Any current students here available to DM?

A call about 30 minutes ago! Interview was 1/8 :)

Reactions: 4 users
Any current students willing to comment on the clinical years here?

Any current students willing to comment on the clinical years here?
I’m not a current student but they have been rocky in the past and the school is switching to a 2+2 traditionally curriculum over the 3+1 so it would be different for us

OOS II just now! Submitted on 8/1

Edit: I already have an A from Midwestern University (Glendale) and I haven't heard great things about ATSU-SOMA. I live in New York (family in AZ) is it worth the shlep back to Arizona for this interview? In addition I have another DO interview this Monday (in NY) and I'm waitlisted for an MD school. I'm really conflicted any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
OOS II just now! Submitted on 8/1

Edit: I already have an A from Midwestern University (Glendale) and I haven't heard great things about ATSU-SOMA. I live in New York (family in AZ) is it worth the shlep back to Arizona for this interview? In addition I have another DO interview this Monday (in NY) and I'm waitlisted for an MD school. I'm really conflicted any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Midwestern is a lot better, I would stick with it unless tuition is a huge factor

I’m not a current student but they have been rocky in the past and the school is switching to a 2+2 traditionally curriculum over the 3+1 so it would be different for us
That’s what I was nervous about too. I’m currently debating between this and another school. Please let me know if you hear any more information about the clinic curriculum :))

OOS II this morning but I'll be declining it due to already being accepted elsewhere. Hopefully someone here gets it instead.

OOS II this afternoon. Completed 7/5. Looks like they're not going in order. :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
just declined my A, hopefully it goes to one of you! best of luck :)

Sadly I just turned down my acceptance :( Hoping it goes to one of you!

Also I didn't see a formal way to decline so I just an email- that should be okie right?