BCPS Spring 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoMoneyNoHoney

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took the BCPS today. Honestly I don't feel like I've studied a lot, only been casually reading the ACCP prep stuffs for 3 months. Overall I thought that clinical portion was not bad; I did a PGY-1 last year, and I'm currently working at a hospital, so things kinda made sense to me. I crammed for biostats during the last 2 days, and thought that they were mostly okay too (I hope). However, the regulatory stuffs were tough; I should have spent more time looking over them because I almost had to make an educated guess each time I saw one. Now I feel like I will have to retake the exam again in the fall. Just out of curiosity did anyone feel this way walking out of BCPS and ended up passing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! One of my co-workers took it last year. She thought she would fail but she ended up passing! So don't stress out. I hope you will pass the exam. I am planning to take it in the fall. Do you have any suggestions?

Reactions: 1 users
Hi! One of my co-workers took it last year. She thought she would fail but she ended up passing! So don't stress out. I hope you will pass the exam. I am planning to take it in the fall. Do you have any suggestions?
My colleagues who have passed the exam said that the ACCP prep materials were enough to get you through. I purchased the ACCP mock exam a few nights ago and scored like a 58%. The mock exam is kinda similar to the real deal, so I thought it was useful.

Reactions: 1 user
Just took the BCPS today. Honestly I don't feel like I've studied a lot, only been casually reading the ACCP prep stuffs for 3 months. Overall I thought that clinical portion was not bad; I did a PGY-1 last year, and I'm currently working at a hospital, so things kinda made sense to me. I crammed for biostats during the last 2 days, and thought that they were mostly okay too (I hope). However, the regulatory stuffs were tough; I should have spent more time looking over them because I almost had to make an educated guess each time I saw one. Now I feel like I will have to retake the exam again in the fall. Just out of curiosity did anyone feel this way walking out of BCPS and ended up passing?

Nope, definitely feels like I’ll be taking the test again in the fall. I walked out of that testing thinking ....what the...

The frustrating part is that some of the questionable weren’t in the ACCP books.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just took it this afternoon. The test is kind of whack. A bunch of random regulatory questions that would be impossible to prepare for.

However, the test felt way easier than the ACCP mock exam.

I guessed on a good 25% of the questions. Then I went home and looked up the answers, and I got most of them wrong. FML

Good luck y'all

Took it this past Wednesday and pretty much felt the same way as all of you guys. Somehow the questions didn't seem as "difficult" as I was scared of (still doesn't mean I aced it lol). I read people's advise to focus on biostat, expect lots of regulatory, etc., but still didn't expect those to be majority of the exam. I can only recall few actual pharmacotherapy related questions and unfortunately I got them wrong so ................... haha

Thanks for the feedback on the BCPS. I’m planning to take it in the fall and will just prepare for it using the ACCP material. Does anyone else have any feedback or suggestions besides what was already mentioned? Thanks!

The ACCP chapters on Infectious disease and Anti-coag is not enough. Make sure you supplement with something else.

Don't waste a ton of time memorizing dosing except on the major topics and drugs.

Study derm and eye topics on your own, it's not in the ACCP books.

Heavy emphasis on biostats/study design.
You should be able to understand and calculate NNT, NNH, RR, OR, RRR, PPV, NPV, sensivity and specificity. Understand confidence intervals, p, alpha, beta, power, SD. AND how these values would be affected if effect or sample size changes.

Know when to use what test (t-test, chi squared, etc).

Know cost min, cost utility, cost effect, cost benefit.

Just joined to follow this! I also felt the same. I heard that was normal. Ugh. I keep checking online to see if they’ve updated my status. Anyone know around what date we will find out? I’m getting restless!

I checked last year's thread and it seemed like people got their results around the 4th week of June (22nd+)

I was thinking Prometric is a new testing site than previous years. If so, it may effect release dates of scores. But, I would gladly take June 22 vs July 11 (60 days from last day of testing window-per their website.) I keep searching for my name under board certified pharmacists, nothing yet. I was also told they used to get a letter in the mail and it will be addressed, "Dr. Jane Doe, PharmD, BCPS" (or other specialty) if you pass. If you don't the letter is addressed, "Dr. Jane Doe, Pharm.D.", and the letter arrived before they received an email or anything being updated online.~this has been a few years ago.

Thanks for the feedback on the BCPS. I’m planning to take it in the fall and will just prepare for it using the ACCP material. Does anyone else have any feedback or suggestions besides what was already mentioned? Thanks!

Hey! I tried messaging you and I couldn't. Can you turn it on?

Members don't see this ad :)
yup. I'm approaching clinical insanity. There is still so much time to go and I can't stay busy enough to keep my mind off of it.

yup. I'm approaching clinical insanity. There is still so much time to go and I can't stay busy enough to keep my mind off of it.
I’ve been checking online at least twice a day. I’m contemplating studying for CACP so I can focus on something else ‍♀️

Hi
I am planning to take it for next spring.
I have no idea where to start or what to study.
Hope I can get some references or ideas.
Thanks

I’m guessing mid-next week...last fall it was released about 6.5 weeks after the last test date. So impatient

• Haha
When you try to log in and the site is down that’s when they release the score next 12:00 AM

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I will be sure to post as soon as I hear or know of anyone who took a BPS exam this cycle and received their scores. Last cycle (Fall 2018) I think BCCCP posted first. The exams posted in waves and BCPS didn’t post until Tuesday or Wednesday, while others posted on that Monday. So hopefully, soon enough!

Reactions: 2 users
I took bcccps. Last name at end of the ‘bet. I’ll let you all know. I am curious how many people are taking care of this. It seems like we test, then there is ASHP , right after that they have the window open for the fall exam applications. If there are just a few people, or the point person from each certification area has to review the score results while holding a full time job with residents/APPE, or they have to wait for members to be able to gather and discuss scores, then be linked to our names and then entered by hand. The candidates guide mentioned they blind names, decide who meets the standards based on questions answered, then scores are posted. Perhaps this is why it takes so long. (Sorry for the long post, just using up (wasting:corny:) some of this time I have.)

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
It's Monday, no result and couldn't even get to the hospital in time for rounds.
20190624_065128.jpg

Called BPS and got the canned answer that scores will be posted on the week of July 1st. I asked about how that would be > 6 wks after testing cycle and was told that July 12th is consdered 6 wks after testing cycle. :eyebrow:

Reactions: 2 users
Wow! That is 7 weeks. I guess that’s within the 6-8 week timeframe they told us. They have just historically got it done in 6 weeks right? So annoying.

Called BPS and got the canned answer that scores will be posted on the week of July 1st. I asked about how that would be > 6 wks after testing cycle and was told that July 12th is consdered 6 wks after testing cycle. :eyebrow:
Where did you see 6 weeks? I thought it said 60 days. Which would be July 11. But glad it will be July 1 vs July 12.

I’m so sick of waiting. Our hospital is merging with a company that doesn’t reimburse for the exam. I am afraid if results aren’t back soon, I won’t get the chunk of change back I’ve loaded into this.

Where did you see 6 weeks? I thought it said 60 days. Which would be July 11. But glad it will be July 1 vs July 12.

I’m so sick of waiting. Our hospital is merging with a company that doesn’t reimburse for the exam. I am afraid if results aren’t back soon, I won’t get the chunk of change back I’ve loaded into this.

I thought I read somewhere that it was a 6 week time frame, but perhaps I misread it. For early test takers it's a brutal wait. The only financial incentive for me is my work reinburses a passing score.

Does anyone know of any electronic standardized test that takes so long?
Leave it to pharmacy to make things more complicated than they need to be. Ever compare ACPE approved CE requirments to other professions like physicians? Hell, I was just told that the NCLEX for nursing licensure literally stops and closes out when you answer enough questions right!

Reactions: 3 users
I called BPS as well. They said it would be first or second week of July...not this week. And they said we would be getting an email

I thought I read 6 weeks somewhere as well. I know for CACP you find out immediately after...at least that’s what I’ve been told.