BCPS Spring 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoMoneyNoHoney

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just took the BCPS today. Honestly I don't feel like I've studied a lot, only been casually reading the ACCP prep stuffs for 3 months. Overall I thought that clinical portion was not bad; I did a PGY-1 last year, and I'm currently working at a hospital, so things kinda made sense to me. I crammed for biostats during the last 2 days, and thought that they were mostly okay too (I hope). However, the regulatory stuffs were tough; I should have spent more time looking over them because I almost had to make an educated guess each time I saw one. Now I feel like I will have to retake the exam again in the fall. Just out of curiosity did anyone feel this way walking out of BCPS and ended up passing?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Failed! Not too upset about it though, i didn't study too hard and it's not like I get a raise or anything for passing. Will probably try again in the fall.

Reactions: 1 user
Man. I really am heartbroken for those having to retake. But this is not the end of your story, just part of the path to where you are going. Take a day or a week to be pissed off about it/absorb it. Then hit it hard. Each of us have had to make it through pharmacy school and it is not a walk in the park. I know several super talented, caring, and experienced pharmacists that have multiple attempts at this. So many of you are so close try again. You have this! Don’t let it keep you down.

Reactions: 4 users
I gotta tell you guys- dont be discouraged... many many ppl fail few times but they hide it so well...i ve seen it... ppl always just want to show their accomplishments only... dont be discouraged, study little harder this time and you will pass!

BKpharm is right. Don't give up if you didn't pass. Try to take the test again on the next testing cycle while the knowledge is still fresh. good luck!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone who didn't pass, I put my flash cards online. You have to sign at https://ankiweb.net then search decks for "bcps". The flash cards are based on the fall 2018 accp study guide. There are some areas that I didn't include like diabetes since that's already my specialty.

My study tactics were as follows
1. Make stats & study design your bithc
2. Study the areas in therapy that you are weak in first. If you have time, then study the areas you are strong in
3. Take as many practice exams as you can. If you score >70%, you should be good to go. Below 60%, you need to keep studying or even defer the exam.

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone who didn't pass, I put my flash cards online. You have to sign at https://ankiweb.net then search decks for "bcps". The flash cards are based on the fall 2018 accp study guide. There are some areas that I didn't include like diabetes since that's already my specialty.

2. Study the areas in therapy that you are weak in first. If you have time, then study the areas you are strong in
3. Take as many practice exams as you can. If you score >70%, you should be good to go. Below 60%, you need to keep studying or even defer the exam.

Completely agree with this.
1. Focus on stats. You may not pass even though you know stats and study design well, but there’s a good chance you’ll fail if you don’t know it. The accp chapters didn’t explain it too well, I had to google a lot of different topics to get a good understanding of them. Plus, listening to the lecturer put me to sleep. Not sure if I can link sites/blogs that I used to help me study for the bio stats portion, but if you google it, you’ll be able to find it easily.
2. honestly, for some of the disease states, I gave up studying it and knew I would miss those 5 questions. I couldn’t commit the 3-5 days needed to know/understand the subject well enough.
3. I highly recommend taking mock exams. It really pointed out areas that I was weak in and needed to focus more on. I would say don’t wait until it’s really close to your exam date, but rather 2-3 weeks prior. Then you can hone in on the chapters you need just a little more work on.
4. I found online flash cards and used them to study. I also made sets on areas I was weak in. The site was quizlet.com. It’s great for times when you only have a few minutes, like brushing my teeth, waiting in line at the store, etc.

Last of all, even though you didn't pass, you’re still a much more knowledgeable pharmacist than you were before studying. You’ll be able to apply so much of what you’ve learned into your practice and that already makes you a better, more clinical pharmacist. It’s not about the extra 4 letters after your name.

Best of luck to everyone who has to take it again. You can do it!

Reactions: 2 users
I’m pretty discouraged and sad right now. I’m gonna drink my sorrows away and then start studying tomorrow to retake in the fall.

Hi, sorry to hear this. I’ve heard that most folks have the tendency to pass the exam at second attempt. Can we study together? I’m planning on retaking mine this fall. Cheer up.

Hi, sorry to hear this. I’ve heard that most folks have the tendency to pass the exam at second attempt. Can we study together? I’m planning on retaking mine this fall. Cheer up.
Yes I would like to study together. !

Completely agree with this.
1. Focus on stats. You may not pass even though you know stats and study design well, but there’s a good chance you’ll fail if you don’t know it. The accp chapters didn’t explain it too well, I had to google a lot of different topics to get a good understanding of them. Plus, listening to the lecturer put me to sleep. Not sure if I can link sites/blogs that I used to help me study for the bio stats portion, but if you google it, you’ll be able to find it easily.
2. honestly, for some of the disease states, I gave up studying it and knew I would miss those 5 questions. I couldn’t commit the 3-5 days needed to know/understand the subject well enough.
3. I highly recommend taking mock exams. It really pointed out areas that I was weak in and needed to focus more on. I would say don’t wait until it’s really close to your exam date, but rather 2-3 weeks prior. Then you can hone in on the chapters you need just a little more work on.
4. I found online flash cards and used them to study. I also made sets on areas I was weak in. The site was quizlet.com. It’s great for times when you only have a few minutes, like brushing my teeth, waiting in line at the store, etc.

Last of all, even though you didn't pass, you’re still a much more knowledgeable pharmacist than you were before studying. You’ll be able to apply so much of what you’ve learned into your practice and that already makes you a better, more clinical pharmacist. It’s not about the extra 4 letters after your name.

Best of luck to everyone who has to take it again. You can do it!

I can't PM you, can you PM me?

Forgot to update, I checked my score last Saturday and found out I passed. Guess I got lucky..very glad that I don't have to retake it in the spring.

I strongly recommend the How to Be Awesome at Biostatistics and Literature Evaluation series on tldrpharmacy.com. It is how I studied for biostats.

me too, 499

The score report said i need to focus on System-based standards and population-based pharmacotherapy. any reccomendations of what source is best to study for this section
Maybe it means knowing special circumstances and modifications for specific populations(ie geriatrics) It alsi sounds like system based standards involves guidelines in long term care, etc.

I heard there was A LOT more of the management, pharmacoeconomics, etc on this past exam. I have a few friends who didnt pass, but who I know are very competent clinically and were ok with biostats. They felt it was those "other chapters" at the end of the ACCP study guide that got them. I took BCPS 2 years ago and BCCCP last year and I think my exams didnt have much of those topics.

And for those who didnt pass the first time, I hope you will try again. If I can, I would gladly help those who wanna try again!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sry I just now saw this. I took it the second time two days ago. If I fail let’s study together !

I used this and passed Fall 2019! Thank you soooo much for sharing!!