Becoming a Pharmacist in Canada from the US

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superrx01

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I am Canadian and in my final year of pharmacy school in the US and wanted to know if anyone has experience trying to get licensed in Canada (i'm looking into Ontario or Alberta)
I just want to know how the process is and if you get paid completing the internship hours.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey so I am Canadian and in my final year of pharmacy school in the US and wanted to know if anyone has experience trying to get licensed in Canada (i'm looking into Ontario or Alberta)
I just want to know how the process is and if you get paid completing the internship hours.

Thanks

I know nothing about the process but googled this.
U.S. Graduates

Reactions: 1 users
So a B.pharm is enough to practice in Canada? Why would anyone choose to go to school in the US if your ultimate goal is to go back to Canada to practice?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So a B.pharm is enough to practice in Canada? Why would anyone choose to go to school in the US if your ultimate goal is to go back to Canada to practice?

Well now its actually moving towards a PharmD, also the US isn't the best country to be in right now its going downhill and there are too many pharmacists here

Reactions: 1 user
Regardless of whether or not you believe that the country is going downhill, saturation is a real issue. That’s not my question though, why would you move to a country that requires more schooling (time/money) with the ultimate goal to relocate back to your original location which doesn’t require a PharmD.

Just remember, in Canada all the milligrams are in Celsius, so you have to convert. Other than that, should be smooth sailing.

Reactions: 9 users
Regardless of whether or not you believe that the country is going downhill, saturation is a real issue. That’s not my question though, why would you move to a country that requires more schooling (time/money) with the ultimate goal to relocate back to your original location which doesn’t require a PharmD.

It's simple. Anyone who does just that will be considered a highly desirable candidate. Most locals won't have anything to compete with. In the mean time, the profession is also moving towards a PharmD. in Canada. Thus, it seems like OP may have just struck gold, wouldn't you say so?

Hospital pharmacy in Canada pays about the same as in the USA. You can jump right in without doing a residency. Also, healthcare if free. This is a big deal if you have a bunch of kids.

Guys, does anyone know if an Irish Degree in Pharmacy is accredited in Canada?

If it's a PharmD., sure. Canada just made a full switch to PharmD only. The only entry-level degree will be the PharmD. The first class will graduate in 2020 or 2022.

Thanks
I think there's an opening in Barrow. There was kid who worked there a few years back. Forget his handle. Last I heard he was fighting vampires.

images

During the PharmD conversion, I'm willing to bet they will have a temporary shortage like we had in the USA in the early 2000's. I'd imagine that pay will increase and working conditions will be much better.

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like there will be 3 tests involved. You must pass the equivalent of their NAPLEX... it's split into 2 parts. Plus a third exam for the province.

During the PharmD conversion, I'm willing to bet they will have a temporary shortage like we had in the USA in the early 2000's. I'd imagine that pay will increase and working conditions will be much better.

No, quite the opposite. Ontario pharmacist salary is facing strong downward pressure from 1. flux of foreign pharmacists 2. the provincial gov.

Hospital pharmacy in Canada pays about the same as in the USA. You can jump right in without doing a residency. Also, healthcare if free. This is a big deal if you have a bunch of kids.

I don't know anywhere else, but in Ontario, residency is becoming the norm for anyone who wants to go hospital route. The starting pay of a hospital pharmacist with residency now is ~$41/hr in GTA, much lower than US average, and with the possibility of going even lower. I got that number from a newly hired hospital pharmacist who just finished his residency, so you get that idea.

They've offered both for a long time - the PharmD and BS. Only the BS was required. You show up with a PharmD now and you get a clinical position at a hospital.
For a while some provinces were giving British pharmacists a bonus to relocate to an under-served area.

They've offered both for a long time - the PharmD and BS. Only the BS was required. You show up with a PharmD now and you get a clinical position at a hospital.
For a while some provinces were giving British pharmacists a bonus to relocate to an under-served area.

I know that Canada used to be part of Great Britain, but my understanding is that they are very different in regards to pharmacy laws and training.

I know that Canada used to be part of Great Britain, but my understanding is that they are very different in regards to pharmacy laws and training.

Google is your best friend. I read an article about British pharmacists being offered relocation perks to settle in certain areas. Don't know where the link is.
The process to move to Canada is lengthy. I looked through forums and it seems like there are a lot of folks with BS Pharm. There are so many that anyone with a PharmD just waits forever. There is a perk for being a US graduate. I believe a pre-test is waived or something like that.
The whole thing is too new to know where it's going. There are people in this forum who have asked the "what about Canada?" question in the past, and have gone quiet shortly after. Maybe they moved?

I am a Canadian pharmacist currently living in the US and just got licensed in Nevada . I have a B pharm in Canada but now the program is PharmD since 2011 i think . I have my licence in Quebec and I think that any foreign grad needs to do 17 months of internship and some examination , possibly like NAPLEX and definitively a law exam . But every province is different , Check their respective boards . Best of luck !
FYI , retail pays between $55 to $70 an hour depending if you are willing to travel and do relief work .

Well, a consultant can guide you the better way.

I am a Canadian pharmacist currently living in the US and just got licensed in Nevada . I have a B pharm in Canada but now the program is PharmD since 2011 i think . I have my licence in Quebec and I think that any foreign grad needs to do 17 months of internship and some examination , possibly like NAPLEX and definitively a law exam . But every province is different , Check their respective boards . Best of luck !
FYI , retail pays between $55 to $70 an hour depending if you are willing to travel and do relief work .

I did see several bridge programs for foreign graduates. From what I understood, US graduates qualify to take the licensing exam without having to pre-qualify. Foreign grads have to pre-qualify; or something along those lines. It almost does not make sense to ask US grad with a PharmD to do a 17 month internship. Maybe the website has not been updated yet. It does seem complicated to get licensed there.

Thanks

Did you ever get this figured out? I am in a similar situation

Pharmacist Evaluating Examination - Introduction

No longer automatic. You can apply to PEBC, but they are not obligated to accept your application for even consideration. But if your application is accepted, the process is similar to the Irish Pharmaceutical Society's process. Good luck.

@superrx01 Speaking from the perspective of having both (due to the old NAFTA reciprocity between Manitoba and Minnesota), the rules have changed since then. I assume that you are going to attempt the English exam (I actually don't know how Laval or Montreal's graduates with the French version works in Quebec).

So the steps are:
1. You have to register with the PEBC and go through their process (except Quebec). Do this now, as the PEBC has to qualify you to sit for the exams and there is some major paperwork involved. As a Canadian national, you will not need to demonstrate work eligibility. Because you are an American graduate, you skip the PEE process and proceed straight to the PQE. The first sitting in summer is sometime in June with a terminal application date (meaning everything must be cleared by PEBC) by sometime in March.

2. For each province with the exception of Quebec, there are specific registration matters to each province. Quebec has two, one for the English speaking and one for the French speaking and you qualify with either one. Figure out which province you are intending to license in (MB is straightforward).

3. Prepare for the PQE, there is a LIVE practical portion that requires your communication to be up to par. The other sit-down exam is set differently than NAPLEX, it is much more science heavy from people who have taken it in the last couple of years than the NAPLEX is now (you will actually get serious questions on pharmaceutics and medicinal chemistry than the NAPLEX).

4. If you are going to prepare for the PEBC PQE, don't bother studying for NAPLEX. You'll easily cruise through NAPLEX while the PEBC tends to be a tricky exam due to the topic coverage. I passed with some room to spare, but that was a difficult exam in terms of the pharmaceutics (I didn't realize I needed the actual Martin's version of Fick's diffusion to attempt the exam!).

(Not that I was researching any of this) I find it interesting that Canada requires the two step exam (test and OSCE), while Ireland just evaluates your credentials and then issues your license after you pay the 1500 Euro fee. Wondering how much pharmacists get paid in Eire.

(Not that I was researching any of this) I find it interesting that Canada requires the two step exam (test and OSCE), while Ireland just evaluates your credentials and then issues your license after you pay the 1500 Euro fee. Wondering how much pharmacists get paid in Eire.

The last time I was at Trinity six years ago for a conference, it was somewhere between EU 40k and 70k. It's gone up (probably around EU 55-80k now), but not by terribly much (I was there during PIIGS crisis). The strategy that Boots used when they moved in there is what they are doing to the US now. It was almost always advantageous for the Irish to cross the Muir into the UK than stay local (one of the Trinity College lecturers kept a census of who actually stayed and there were years that it was less than 50% and the time that I was there it was that low). We (Americans) also poach Irish PhD's in the basic sciences for tres cheap. The brain drain of Ireland that continues and continues is the continuing story of the island. There are no jobs, no opportunities, and emigration of skilled labor is a reality of life there. There is a strong probability that the pharmacist you meet in Ireland happens to be either Indian or Eastern European (Polish in particular) who will work for the lower rates there. Not to sound racist or nationalist, but immigration into the Emerald Isle is becoming a hotly contested issue (if not already) by both the Left and Right. The argument for is a solution to the brain drain, the argument against is that immigration covers up and postpones reform of the Irish state for living wages.

The brain drain of Ireland that continues and continues is the continuing story of the island. There are no jobs, no opportunities, and emigration of skilled labor is a reality of life there.
Absolutely. I met a PhD from England and joked with him about maybe being able to register Irish citizenship. He wondered why the hell anyone would want to be Irish. For better or for worse, my documents aren't quite in order for that, so I'm staying US/UK. But the situation you describe sounds like something out of any number of Irish songs bemoaning the point. Sad to see they haven't made any progress.

It's simple. Anyone who does just that will be considered a highly desirable candidate. Most locals won't have anything to compete with. In the mean time, the profession is also moving towards a PharmD. in Canada. Thus, it seems like OP may have just struck gold, wouldn't you say so?

Seriously, The PharmD vs B.Pharm isn't that much more desirable. Having graduated when people were getting both Pharm D's and B.S., and for many years after that, nobody cared what specific degree you had. Maybe if you were applying for a residency. Places cared that 1) you were licensed and then 2) what experience did you have? I don't think even today that any place really cares that much about a PharmD vs a B.S., it's just the B.S. dates someone as an older employee, so it makes it easy for an employer to legally age discriminate if they want to.

Seriously, The PharmD vs B.Pharm isn't that much more desirable. Having graduated when people were getting both Pharm D's and B.S., and for many years after that, nobody cared what specific degree you had. Maybe if you were applying for a residency. Places cared that 1) you were licensed and then 2) what experience did you have? I don't think even today that any place really cares that much about a PharmD vs a B.S., it's just the B.S. dates someone as an older employee, so it makes it easy for an employer to legally age discriminate if they want to.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on that. I was just mostly pointing out that the PharmD is a new development in Canada. I would think that would put you in high demand? But really, I am just a retail pharmacist. LOL all I know is that saturation is here. It's crammed.