This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd pick the Camaro because Audi's can be expensive to maintain and that will be difficult on a med school loan budget.

Don't listen to people telling you to buy a super cheap car. The last thing you want to happen is to break down on the side of the road or have to get a new car during med school because you bought an old beater that broke down. Also, a fun car can really perk your day up with med school gets tough (if you're a car person like me which I assume you are). Ideally, any car you buy now will last you through medical school and at least part of the residency (depending on how long your residency is).
Cheap cars do not break down on the side of the road. That is just a faulty line of reasoning. If you want a "reliable car" then you should literally buy a honda accord or a volvo.
 
Cheap cars do not break down on the side of the road. That is just an absurd line of reasoning. If you want a "reliable car" then you should literally buy a honda accord or a volvo.

Most Hondas. I have a Honda CR-V that is a solid car. If you take care of a Honda or a Nissan, it will last you into the hundreds of thousands of miles.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hyundais are reliable and cheap. I had a Hyundai that went 120K, 12 years, and never needed anything beyond standard preventive maintenance, batteries, and tires. I'd still be driving it today if some A-hole hadn't barreled into it while it was parked on the side of the road. It only cost 18.5K new.
 
Yeah I agree. I have a Honda and it’s amazing. I love them. I’ve also had a Nissan that lasted me forever. They are awesome.
We just replaced my wife's 13 year old Honda. It still worked great but she wanted the backup camera and other newer safety features.
 
Yeah I agree. I have a Honda and it’s amazing. I love them. I’ve also had a Nissan that lasted me forever. They are awesome.

Me too! My first car was a Nissan Sentra that was 16 years old with 200k miles on it. She was my baby who lasted to 20 years old until it was finally cheaper to replace it than to fix it.

My current car is a Honda Civic and she is my new baby! Handles like a dream and is super reliable. The maintenance costs and gas really aren't bad, considering she gets great gas mileage and will accept the lowest octane gas.

I second the advice given to the OP that if he/she wants a reliable car with that money, to get a new or gently used Honda/Nissan/Toyota/Subaru.
 
Hyundais are reliable and cheap. I had a Hyundai that went 120K, 12 years, and never needed anything beyond standard preventive maintenance, batteries, and tires. I'd still be driving it today if some A-hole hadn't barreled into it while it was parked on the side of the road. It only cost 18.5K new.
Hyundais (and Kia) from 2011 are hit or miss. Tons of recalls and catastrophic engine failures with the theta engines produced at the Alabama plant. I had a 2013 Elantra and even though it has a different engine, there are plenty of complaints about the engine developing piston slap and failing because of the undersized pistons. My car didn't have a problem yet, but it was only a matter of time. There's plenty of other costly complaints about them as well. I saw a video on Reddit where a 2018 Elantra with the 2.0L engine (I believed the 1.8L Nu engine was replaced with the 2.0L Nu engine in 2014 or 2016) develop piston slap.

I'll throw my bid in for a Honda. I had a 2011 Civic that was absolutely perfect besides the AC compressor failing (common problem due to corrosion). I'd still be driving it if it wasn't stolen. I ended up buying a 2013 Hyundai Elantra because I figured the car was gone. The Civic was recovered and sold to a family friend. I recently sold the Elantra for a 2006 Buick Lucerne CXL V8 and GOD DAMN DO I LOVE THIS CAR. I admit I'm biased, but I love the old grandpa hooptie cars (first car was a 2000 Buick Century). I'd love to get my hands on a Buick Park Ave Ultra or a Mercury Grand Marquis/Ford Crown Vic/Lincoln Town Car
 
Hyundais (and Kia) from 2011 are hit or miss. Tons of recalls and catastrophic engine failures with the theta engines produced at the Alabama plant. I had a 2013 Elantra and even though it has a different engine, there are plenty of complaints about the engine developing piston slap and failing because of the undersized pistons. My car didn't have a problem yet, but it was only a matter of time. There's plenty of other costly complaints about them as well. I saw a video on Reddit where a 2018 Elantra with the 2.0L engine (I believed the 1.8L Nu engine was replaced with the 2.0L Nu engine in 2014 or 2016) develop piston slap.

I'll throw my bid in for a Honda. I had a 2011 Civic that was absolutely perfect besides the AC compressor failing (common problem due to corrosion). I'd still be driving it if it wasn't stolen. I ended up buying a 2013 Hyundai Elantra because I figured the car was gone. The Civic was recovered and sold to a family friend. I recently sold the Elantra for a 2006 Buick Lucerne CXL V8 and GOD DAMN DO I LOVE THIS CAR. I admit I'm biased, but I love the old grandpa hooptie cars (first car was a 2000 Buick Century). I'd love to get my hands on a Buick Park Ave Ultra or a Mercury Grand Marquis/Ford Crown Vic/Lincoln Town Car
Mine was a 2008 so I guess it predates that. I have another plug in hybrid and I've had no issues so far but it's only 20k old.
 
Whatever car you get make sure it has android auto or the iphone equivalent. I feel like 10 years ago the car system hell was being inbetween taking out the tape player and not having an aux cable input now its being having whatever crap music head unit software your car manufacturer put in and the android auto; although its not necessarily a big PITA to upgrade it.
 
I bought a 2020 Prius Prime and just finished my first semester of MS1. I haven't used the car much but it's looking pretty sitting in my garage ..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, Toyota’s are amazing and I’ve had one go 250k+ miles before I sold it and someone else drove it many more years before it finally died. I’d recommend Honda, Nissan, Volvo, Toyota and Subaru to anyone.
So my first car was a Volvo that took me to >230k mi and was unfortunately totaled due to trying foolishly to avoid a woodland creature on a large empty highway in the dead of night. To give you an idea, the car still happily took me the remaining 300 mi home even after that. Had it for >100k mi myself. The only non-normal maintenance (e.g. not tires, break, oil changes, etc.) it ever needed was replacing a condenser, and it went through 2 fuel pumps.

As for new ones, they're still pretty reliable, but they cost more to maintain. Lots of electrical components that are frustrating to repair. I would wait for that attending money for those honestly.

I bought a 2020 Prius Prime and just finished my first semester of MS1. I haven't used the car much but it's looking pretty sitting in my garage ..
This was kind of my point in my first post. You won't get a chance to enjoy it much and when you do it'll be older and you'll wish you had waited. You aren't alone my friend.
 
I have a 14 year old Honda with nearly 200k miles that was gifted to me gently used 10 years ago. This thing has been fantastic and hoping it can take me well into attendinghood... then I’ll get another! For people who just truly see cars as a means of transportation then buying a gently used reliable car is a tremendous investment. Insurance is cheap. Maintenance is cheap. Reliable.
 
So my first car was a Volvo that took me to >230k mi and was unfortunately totaled due to trying foolishly to avoid a woodland creature on a large empty highway in the dead of night. To give you an idea, the car still happily took me the remaining 300 mi home even after that. Had it for >100k mi myself. The only non-normal maintenance (e.g. not tires, break, oil changes, etc.) it ever needed was replacing a condenser, and it went through 2 fuel pumps.

As for new ones, they're still pretty reliable, but they cost more to maintain. Lots of electrical components that are frustrating to repair. I would wait for that attending money for those honestly.


This was kind of my point in my first post. You won't get a chance to enjoy it much and when you do it'll be older and you'll wish you had waited. You aren't alone my friend.

If you haven’t seen the recent Volvo. Price tag is up there with Audi, Benz and BMW.... until you sit inside. Cheaply made, doesn’t feel like the other three.... I am not sure about the reliability either, since >50% of the parts are made in China.
 
If you haven’t seen the recent Volvo. Price tag is up there with Audi, Benz and BMW.... until you sit inside. Cheaply made, doesn’t feel like the other three.... I am not sure about the reliability either, since >50% of the parts are made in China.

Who buys new?
 
Get the Camaro! That's what I did. The Camaro is just sooo much fun to drive. Before that all I drove were a Lexus and a bunch of Hondas. Now it is actually a pleasure to go for a drive, rather than just another mundane activity.
 
OP, I don't even need to read the thread to know the type of responses this will get. I have noticed very, very few legit cars guys on this website over the years. That's ok. Cars are depreciating appliances to most people. If you want Dave Ramsey advice in a vacuum, well, you came to the right place. If you wanted advice specific to your situation you aren't going to get much of it here lol.

You don't get an award at death for min/maxing your finances like a miser despite what this website and the cult of FIRE will tell you. If you can afford the car based on your evaluation of well-documented future expenses of medical education then go for it. Finance is math but "value" is not purely numerical. Life is short. Drive cars that excite you.
 
The Audi will be a pain and very expensive to maintain (although they handle extremely well). The camaro will be a little better, but also expensive to insure. How many miles does the Audi have. If it will be under warranty throughout most of med school, I would say go for it. Even if the engine/transmission are reliable, I have family with German cars that have a ton of electrical problems which require a trip to the dealership to fix.

My recommendations are

Latest gen. Mazda 3/Mazda 6/Mazda CX-5: Reliable and fun to drive. You can probably snag one for about 12k (15k for the CX-5) and under 50k miles

Mazda Miata: Will be closer to the 20k range, but very reliable (The miata is always the answer, at least on cars/reddit)

Lexus IS250: More reliable than the Audi. Should be just as fun and luxurious

2015-2017 Hyundai Genesis: These can be had for around 20k also. Should cost less to maintain than the Audi

Honorable Mentions

Subaru WRX
Subaru BRZ/Toyota 86
Hyundai Veloster
Honda Civic Si
Ford Fiesta/Focus rs
Base V6 Mustang
 
OP, I don't even need to read the thread to know the type of responses this will get. I have noticed very, very few legit cars guys on this website over the years. That's ok. Cars are depreciating appliances to most people. If you want Dave Ramsey advice in a vacuum, well, you came to the right place. If you wanted advice specific to your situation you aren't going to get much of it here lol.

You don't get an award at death for min/maxing your finances like a miser despite what this website and the cult of FIRE will tell you. If you can afford the car based on your evaluation of well-documented future expenses of medical education then go for it. Finance is math but "value" is not purely numerical. Life is short. Drive cars that excite you.
I'm a car guy myself and drive an $800 beater hatchback that is unique and fun. I can find something that will appeal to car people at almost any price range.
 
I mean nobody is saying buy a piece of junk, but even a 15k car thats cheap to maintain or a decent 10k car can literally fund all of the things I mentioned before. Like I said, as a graduating fourth year this year, who has direct experience with a nice car that was premium to maintain, it just isn't worth it financially. All those German brands are super nice and great looking, but man they cost an insane amount to maintain and it adds up.

Get a "normal" car with some upgrades if you really feel the need to spend 20k on a car at age 21

If you want to "own" a german car, just spend $500 on a broken down BMW or Mercedes on Copart and put your name on the title
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Would you consider an older Pontiac, perhaps a Grand Prix, GTO or G8?

The base model Grand Prix comes with the near bulletproof 3800 series engines, which is one of the best engines ever built. The Grand Prix GXP comes standard with a 5.3L V8 and the Grand Prix GTP comes with a supercharged 3800 series engine. I'd giggle like a kid every time I hear the supercharger whine.

The GTO comes standard with either the LS1 5.7L V8 or LS2 6.0L V8, which are most notably used in the Corvette.

The G8 comes in either a 3.6L V6 (boring and unreliable I believe), L76 6.0L V8 and LS3 6.2L V8. The L76 (built by Holden) is similar to the LS2 engine and the LS3 is another Corvette engine.

I totally understand why you'd want a more fun car for school. When I had to wake up early or had a bad day at work, driving around in my econobox car just added to my bad day. With my new Buick, I look forward to waking up in the morning and driving home from work because of the drive. I just want to get in my car and go for a cruise and forget the crappy day I had.
 
Never will lol depreciation is a killer

At some point in your life time. Saving money will no longer your main objective. Time will be the valuable commodity you have.

Not only will I now consider buying a new car, I may even take my car to dealership for routine work?! *shocked* and blasphemy you say.

I save 5 hours of my time by not flipping through the auto trader (do they still have those). I go to dealers garage, and they give me a loaner, rather than have my SO drop me off, and pick me up. I and my SO in term spend more time with our kids.... or do something else together may just worth the money I would have saved.

But obviously, different stage in life.

Last thing, never say never.

I am out of this thread.
 
View attachment 325226View attachment 325227Graduated undergrad this year. 21yo. Working full time at a gap year job that’s paying ~50k/yr. So far this cycle I’ve thankfully gotten 2 acceptances so I’ll be starting school next year! Want to get a decent car for myself for around 20k and I’m stuck between a used Audi A6 or a used Camaro. Interested to see what input SDN may have.
Spend that money on a car that will require little or cheap maintenance.

20k on a Honda/Toyota/Nissan will be much more manageable as a student than a used Audi or camaro.
 
The more I read the less I want the Audi. But I don't think even Dave Ramsey himself could talk me out of at least getting the Camaro. Life is short and hard. I worked hard to get my acceptances, and I worked full time during the cycle, then secondaries, then interviews, to earn the money I plan to use for the car. Delayed gratification is going to be my close and dear friend for the foreseeable future so I want to get something I want while I can.

My entire net worth won't be tied up in the car, and I'll be starting school with a decent savings cushion regardless.

mid you have some money to use on maintenance then do whichever car you like.

I’m a big believer in being responsible, but with real limits. I don’t believe in making all life decisions revolve around trying to maximize your net worth the day you die. I do believe in having a balance and keeping the big picture in mind.

in theory at the end of your career as a doc, even 200k won’t be a big deal in your networth. So, even if you could invest 20k now for 200k in 40 years, it’s ok in my book to buy a nice car now instead.

that said, luxury cars are expensive to maintain much more than “normal cars” so as long as that won’t be a big problem for you, knock yourself out.

finally, have you considered Lexus/Acura/Infiniti as luxury brands that are reasonably cheap to maintain? This can be a good balance for a reliable vehicle that also looks nice.
 
mid you have some money to use on maintenance then do whichever car you like.

I’m a big believer in being responsible, but with real limits. I don’t believe in making all life decisions revolve around trying to maximize your net worth the day you die. I do believe in having a balance and keeping the big picture in mind.

in theory at the end of your career as a doc, even 200k won’t be a big deal in your networth. So, even if you could invest 20k now for 200k in 40 years, it’s ok in my book to buy a nice car now instead.

that said, luxury cars are expensive to maintain much more than “normal cars” so as long as that won’t be a big problem for you, knock yourself out.

finally, have you considered Lexus/Acura/Infiniti as luxury brands that are reasonably cheap to maintain? This can be a good balance for a reliable vehicle that also looks nice.
Thanks for your insight! Interestingly, a Lexus was my first choice when I began considering a new car. I thought it’d be a more “mature” option compared to the Camaro, and would allow me to avoid the expensive maintenance of a German car. Unfortunately the prices for what I was looking for were creeping too close to the $25k mark for my liking. Similar case with Acura and Infiniti.
 
I would buy a cheap car and use the $ to travel isntead. Although it's not possible right now, so ehh.

I still have a document in Google Drive with a detailed trip I planned to take after finishing med school. $5k, 2 months, Trans-siberian express (with a stop in Lake Baikal) / Mongolia (with overnight stay at the Gobi desert) / harbin ice festival in china / Tibet / Nepal with Mt. Everest base camp

I was stupid enough to start working right off the bat after med school (Finished the 31st of January and started working the 1st of February). Then again, I got an all expenses paid trip (by the French embassy) while in this job to France because I speak french and we had to transfer a patient back to Toulouse. I did Toulouse/ Carcassonne / Andorra (with Hiking through the Pyrinees).

I also used part of my electives in med school to do Scandinavia ($5k?). Iceland was a blast. Aurora borelais, whale watching, snorkling through fissures, volcanos, waterfalls, you name it. Hiking through the Fjords in Norway was amazing. I just told my attending that I wanted to travel, I did REALLY well on my first half of my electives, so he agreed and signed the paperwork as if I did it all. Not sure how that falls in the moral compass, but it was worth it.

As for a car. I had a KIA Picanto. You will barely have time to do anything outside studying/hospital anyway. Whatever gets you from point A to point B works.

Point is. Experiences trump material objects, anytime. I would use that money elsewhere
 
I would buy a cheap car and use the $ to travel isntead. Although it's not possible right now, so ehh.

I still have a document in Google Drive with a detailed trip I planned to take after finishing med school. $5k, 2 months, Trans-siberian express (with a stop in Lake Baikal) / Mongolia (with overnight stay at the Gobi desert) / harbin ice festival in china / Tibet / Nepal with Mt. Everest base camp

I was stupid enough to start working right off the bat after med school (Finished the 31st of January and started working the 1st of February). Then again, I got an all expenses paid trip (by the French embassy) while in this job to France because I speak french and we had to transfer a patient back to Toulouse. I did Toulouse/ Carcassonne / Andorra (with Hiking through the Pyrinees).

I also used part of my electives in med school to do Scandinavia ($5k?). Iceland was a blast. Aurora borelais, whale watching, snorkling through fissures, volcanos, waterfalls, you name it. Hiking through the Fjords in Norway was amazing. I just told my attending that I wanted to travel, I did REALLY well on my first half of my electives, so he agreed and signed the paperwork as if I did it all. Not sure how that falls in the moral compass, but it was worth it.

As for a car. I had a KIA Picanto. You will barely have time to do anything outside studying/hospital anyway. Whatever gets you from point A to point B works.

Point is. Experiences trump material objects, anytime. I would use that money elsewhere

Are you in Europe (cause a Kia Picanto isn't available here in the US)

Kinda wanted to do a post medical school trip also if I graduate here in the US. Was thinking of travelling London to Singapore by land
 
At some point in your life time. Saving money will no longer your main objective. Time will be the valuable commodity you have.

Not only will I now consider buying a new car, I may even take my car to dealership for routine work?! *shocked* and blasphemy you say.

I save 5 hours of my time by not flipping through the auto trader (do they still have those). I go to dealers garage, and they give me a loaner, rather than have my SO drop me off, and pick me up. I and my SO in term spend more time with our kids.... or do something else together may just worth the money I would have saved.

But obviously, different stage in life.

Last thing, never say never.

I am out of this thread.
I love my mechanic. I do me, you do you. Thanks.
 
Are you in Europe (cause a Kia Picanto isn't available here in the US)

Kinda wanted to do a post medical school trip also if I graduate here in the US. Was thinking of travelling London to Singapore by land
Did Medical School in Latin America. Elective in Spain. Now doing my Residency and PhD in Germany

If you have the chance go for it. Those are moments that you will never forget.

People always postpone stuff.
Nah, I'll do it after medical school
Well, maybe after my intern year
Ok, I will deffinitely have time after my residency
Well, I haven't done it, but maybe as an attending I'll be able to.

You already expended around a third of your life. If you have the money and time, do it. (Obviously not -now- due to corona. Way to disprove my point about postponing stuff, but this is out of our control. Do consider it after we get through this)
 
Last edited:
Everybody talking about Honda’s and Kias and Toyotas...

this person likely isn’t asking about which car is the better financial decision, but rather about the price/fun ratio that fits someone of their station

At age 21 I drove a convertible ‘Stang and have no ragrats 😉
 
If you haven’t seen the recent Volvo. Price tag is up there with Audi, Benz and BMW.... until you sit inside. Cheaply made, doesn’t feel like the other three.... I am not sure about the reliability either, since >50% of the parts are made in China.
I mean, I wouldn't buy a brand new one of any of those. The value lost in the first few years isn't worth it. A new Volvo probably loses its value faster, but even of that group, the only one that might be more reliable is Mercedes and even used they're a ton.

I currently have a model from near the end of when Volvo was owned by Ford, and it's pretty reliable, but regular maintenance is expensive and now that it's 10+ yrs old random electrical (non-drivetrain stuff) is needing to be replaced. I have family that have had some since, and they've had similar experience with the same caveats.

I'm not sure of the most recent models, but the designs previously were still Swedish from their factories and headquarters. Parts made in China (honestly like many cars and things in general) and now they have some factories there, but again designs mostly still in Sweden, as far as I know.

I plan to buy a 2019 model Volvo hybrid some time around 2023, and I'll see if the reliability has truly fallen that much with Geely at the helm. I'm realistic and don't expect it to be like my first good old Swedish brick, but my poor experience with other manufacturers has left me sticking with Volvo for now. If I get burned on the 2019 hybrid, I'll branch out.
 
I get the YOLO argument about buying the car now. I really do. You can’t take it with you and you only get to be young once.

But I’d counter with this. You’re going to be poor and living on loans for a while. What would you rather have: 20k car or 10k car and 10k to live life a bit in med school (travel, go out, eat food that’s not ramen, etc)

I got an insane deal (11k for basically new Honda Fit) and shared the car with my spouse. Some day I’ll get a sweet car. But it’ll be when my loans are paid off, retirement accounts and the kids 529s are fully funded, house down payment saved, etc.
 
I mean, I wouldn't buy a brand new one of any of those. The value lost in the first few years isn't worth it. A new Volvo probably loses its value faster, but even of that group, the only one that might be more reliable is Mercedes and even used they're a ton.

I currently have a model from near the end of when Volvo was owned by Ford, and it's pretty reliable, but regular maintenance is expensive and now that it's 10+ yrs old random electrical (non-drivetrain stuff) is needing to be replaced. I have family that have had some since, and they've had similar experience with the same caveats.

I'm not sure of the most recent models, but the designs previously were still Swedish from their factories and headquarters. Parts made in China (honestly like many cars and things in general) and now they have some factories there, but again designs mostly still in Sweden, as far as I know.

I plan to buy a 2019 model Volvo hybrid some time around 2023, and I'll see if the reliability has truly fallen that much with Geely at the helm. I'm realistic and don't expect it to be like my first good old Swedish brick, but my poor experience with other manufacturers has left me sticking with Volvo for now. If I get burned on the 2019 hybrid, I'll branch out.
Do you have an S80?
 
I get the YOLO argument about buying the car now. I really do. You can’t take it with you and you only get to be young once.

But I’d counter with this. You’re going to be poor and living on loans for a while. What would you rather have: 20k car or 10k car and 10k to live life a bit in med school (travel, go out, eat food that’s not ramen, etc)

I got an insane deal (11k for basically new Honda Fit) and shared the car with my spouse. Some day I’ll get a sweet car. But it’ll be when my loans are paid off, retirement accounts and the kids 529s are fully funded, house down payment saved, etc.

Wow. Got a used Audi SQ5 that I drive like I stole it everyday. Didn’t buy it new but bought a late model CPO with low mileage for 25k less than the new price. I didn’t climb this far and promise myself reward only to break that promise at the finish line... smell the roses when you can. My mom died at 37.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow. Got a used Audi SQ5 that I drive like I stole it everyday. Didn’t buy it new but bought a late model CPO with low mileage for 25k less than the new price. I didn’t climb this far and promise myself reward only to break that promise at the finish line... smell the roses when you can. My mom died at 37.
Oh I’m not saying don’t smell the roses. I was saying maybe smell the roses in a different way. I’d argue you’re better off putting that extra 10k over a more boring car towards a month in Europe 4th year and going out during Med school. Money will be tight for a while, splurge on experiences and people, not things.
 
Not following the conversation here but for cars in medical school/residency look into leasing. I personally dislike Toyota/Honda as companies and brands with the only upside in their vehicles being durability which leasing negates. Options can be as low as $200/month ($4000 annually realistically x7-10 years most spend school/training) depending on model, customer loyalty, type of mileage plan, and the insurance set up you've got going. Yes, it's not as cheap as the 200X Camry you can probably get but you don't have to worry about maintenance and you get a brand new model every 2-3 years. Then when you have an attending salary or have enough money saved up near the end of your training you can get what you want.
 
Last edited:
I get the YOLO argument about buying the car now. I really do. You can’t take it with you and you only get to be young once.

But I’d counter with this. You’re going to be poor and living on loans for a while. What would you rather have: 20k car or 10k car and 10k to live life a bit in med school (travel, go out, eat food that’s not ramen, etc)

I got an insane deal (11k for basically new Honda Fit) and shared the car with my spouse. Some day I’ll get a sweet car. But it’ll be when my loans are paid off, retirement accounts and the kids 529s are fully funded, house down payment saved, etc.

Some things shouldn't be waited for years. This is one of them imo. The time before med school is the time to live to the fullest. That means buy the most awesome car you could buy and really spend the time enjoying life.

Realize that several years mean interests and desires can change and the youth is long gone. Waiting for several years to get a dream car that might not even be the one initially desired is a bad idea
 
The people saying to "live while you are young" should understand that you are encouraging the *worst* financial mistake that physicians commit.

Buying expensive cars is one of those classic pathways for military kids. They walk into a job with low expenses and decent pay. Then they buy an expensive truck which places them in debt with only a rapidly depreciating vehicle to show for it. We all know how the story ends from there.
 
The people saying to "live while you are young" should understand that you are encouraging the *worst* financial mistake that physicians commit.

Buying expensive cars is one of those classic pathways for military kids. They walk into a job with low expenses and decent pay. Then they buy an expensive truck which places them in debt with only a rapidly depreciating vehicle to show for it. We all know how the story ends from there.
I’m buying the car cash, and will have a savings cushion as well, before I start school next year. The car isn’t financially pragmatic, but I’m not placing myself in further debt.