Best 20K Car for accepted MD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

revronin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
03F8D729-3858-4A84-9EED-FC724FBB2987.jpeg
BB902A83-890D-4CEB-8A8E-9E31C239F070.png
Graduated undergrad this year. 21yo. Working full time at a gap year job that’s paying ~50k/yr. So far this cycle I’ve thankfully gotten 2 acceptances so I’ll be starting school next year! Want to get a decent car for myself for around 20k and I’m stuck between a used Audi A6 or a used Camaro. Interested to see what input SDN may have.

Members don't see this ad.

• Okay...
Reactions: 1 users
If you are taking loans for med school, I'd cut your car budget in half

Just my way of doing things

If you're just asking about which car is cooler... At age 21, I think a Camaro is the way to go. Convertible only, though. As you age, what's cool and acceptable changes, and then I'd shoot for the sedan life... But enjoy being young while it lasts first! Just my motto

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Mind you, 50k a year after taxes is closer to 35k. That's at most 15k after buying a 20k car. Not sure your financial situation (loans, rent, food, etc) but depending on where you live that can be cutting it close, and is also money you could be saving for all the expenses of med school (tuition itself is a kicker, but there are a lot of other fees that come into play).

I'd personally get a used car for like 2k. Outside that, if you're still set on it, idt anyone can tell you which car to get - whichever one you like more and you can't lose.

Also personal input - most kids here who drive a nice car get flack for it, it's assumed they come from $$$$ which can make people with 400k debt feel pretty salty. Not justifying their feelings, nor am I saying you have to come from a rich family to have a nice car in med school, just a word of warning. I'd be lying if I said I don't get a little bummed seeing kids with nice cars/ going on vacations, but I of course know to separate those feelings from the individual - but not everyone does that. If that's something that matters to you then perhaps take that into consideration.

Also congrats on your acceptances

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You’re a medical student not a doctor, suck up your pride and get a Camry.
Settle down. No pride here bud. A 20k car isn’t cheap but it’s far from “trying to live like a doctor” levels of expensive.

If you are taking loans for med school, I'd cut your car budget in half

Just my way of doing things

If you're just asking about which car is cooler... At age 21, I think a Camaro is the way to go. Convertible only, though. As you age, what's cool and acceptable changes, and then I'd shoot for the sedan life... But enjoy being young while it lasts first! Just my motto
I can understand that. I will say that I’m in Texas so my loan burden won’t be completed horrendous, fingers crossed.

Both cars are hot. Buy the one with the highest horsepower and lowest maintenance requirements.

Personally, I wouldn’t worry about the $20k too much. You’re only 20-something for so long.

Mind you, 50k a year after taxes is closer to 35k. That's at most 15k after buying a 20k car. Not sure your financial situation (loans, rent, food, etc) but depending on where you live that can be cutting it close, and is also money you could be saving for all the expenses of med school (tuition itself is a kicker, but there are a lot of other fees that come into play).

I'd personally get a used car for like 2k. Outside that, if you're still set on it, idt anyone can tell you which car to get - whichever one you like more and you can't lose.

Also personal input - most kids here who drive a nice car get flack for it, it's assumed they come from $$$$ which can make people with 400k debt feel pretty salty. Not justifying their feelings, nor am I saying you have to come from a rich family to have a nice car in med school, just a word of warning. I'd be lying if I said I don't get a little bummed seeing kids with nice cars/ going on vacations, but I of course know to separate those feelings from the individual - but not everyone does that. If that's something that matters to you could perhaps take that into consideration.

Also congrats on your acceptances
Thanks for the input. I can definitely understand what you mean on the financial side of things. I’m URM first gen immigrant so definitely not some rich surgeons son by any means but I can see how there’d be stigma based on how things may appear

Reactions: 1 user
Get the car you love and buy it. Forget about the random SDN financial stuff and stigma. This is the one time you can really enjoy before med school. Both cars look awesome so it's hard to decide. I just wouldn't worry about finances now. That comes in residency and by then, you still get to ride on that sweet car :cool:

Reactions: 3 users
Get the car you love and buy it. Forget about the random SDN financial stuff and stigma. This is the one time you can really enjoy before med school. Both cars look awesome so it's hard to decide. I just wouldn't worry about finances now. That comes in residency and by then, you still get to ride on that sweet car :cool:

I'd definitely agree, but finances should be worried about to some extent - especially in certain situations. I've seen people graduating with 500k debt needlessly adding another 20k, with which the interest accruing on their other loans is like adding another 100k. Though you are right, you do see a lot of the extremes on this site where money/savings/retirement is everything and it leaves you wondering "well what about life doh?"

I say this as someone with "apathetic debt" where it becomes hard to look at money with an actual value and I myself have to be reminded haha. Just don't want to see people in my situation.

Last edited:
I'd definitely agree, but finances should be worried about to some extent - especially in certain situations. I've seen people graduating with 500k debt needlessly adding another 20k, with which the interest accruing on their other loans is like adding another 100k. Though you are right, you do see a lot of the extremes on this site where money/savings/retirement is everything and it leaves you wondering "well what about life doh?"

I say this as someone with "apathetic debt" who is in so much debt from undergrad, grad, and med school that it becomes hard to look at money with an actual value and I myself have to be reminded haha. Just don't want to see people in my situation.

Agreed adding more debt on top of existing debt is a bad idea. OP's currently working though and apparently doesn't seem to have much (any?) debt that the car purchase now is def worth it. Buying a car like this after med school would be rough financially. Do it now while essentially debt free

You worked a job and made money and have a major achievement. Buy the car. If you're really concerned about debt maybe it will last you through residency if you treat it well? Either you'll be spending $20k or $15k, or driving someone else's problem.

Heaven forbid someone give you flack for spending money you earned. Are poor people not allowed to treat themselves, occasionally, for fear of "looking too rich"? I still remember a story on SDN of some poor first-generation immigrant getting **** on by an interviewer for having a nice pen their dad, who was a cashier, bought them as a gift. Disgusting attitude.

Ignore the **** coming from other 23-year-old medical students.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
that a6 looks classy!! if im picking between those two, i like it!

Do what ya want but a 20k car for med school is a terrible decision. Whether you have loan burdens or not, there are plenty of decent ones for 10k even. This adds up quick. I’m all for living life without super worrying about debt (to an extent) but as a graduating fourth year for reasons other people have mentioned and from my experience don’t do it.

There are a lot of expensive boards, review materials, rotations, applications, etc and having an unnecessarily large car payment and insurance that goes with a nicer car brand will really bite ya in the ass I promise

I bought a car before med school - partially since I needed something more appropriate for snow, but mostly because it was time. Car Guru dot com. Got a pretty sick deal, would recommend.

You worked a job and made money and have a major achievement. Buy the car. If you're really concerned about debt maybe it will last you through residency if you treat it well? Either you'll be spending $20k or $15k, or driving someone else's problem.

Heaven forbid someone give you flack for spending money you earned. Are poor people not allowed to treat themselves, occasionally, for fear of "looking too rich"? I still remember a story on SDN of some poor first-generation immigrant getting **** on by an interviewer for having a nice pen their dad, who was a cashier, bought them as a gift. Disgusting attitude.

Ignore the **** coming from other 23-year-old medical students.

My point for mentioning the flack is some people do care what others think, whether that matters or not. Was a worthy point of mention, for whether OP does or doesn't care.

Personally I do agree, screw what others think - do you. Not to be cliche, but you only live once.

Signed, a 30+ year old med student who has gotten 'flack'

Last edited:
Do what ya want but a 20k car for med school is a terrible decision. Whether you have loan burdens or not, there are plenty of decent ones for 10k even. This adds up quick. I’m all for living life without super worrying about debt (to an extent) but as a graduating fourth year for reasons other people have mentioned and from my experience don’t do it.

There are a lot of expensive boards, review materials, rotations, applications, etc and having an unnecessarily large car payment and insurance that goes with a nicer car brand will really bite ya in the ass I promise
The car will be bought cash so no car payment while I’m in school

Reactions: 2 users
Damn i love Audis.

That said, id wait on a car of that expense. Audi’s are so expensive to maintain on top of your purchase. You can get a nice mazda or honda or toyota to get your through med school and even residency.

Buy the one that's the cheapest to maintain or requires the least maintenance overall. I had a luxury car in grad school and going into medical school (paid for) that was a beast to maintain ($600 brake jobs, $200 oil changes, tires were super expensive). When it died I got something that gets great gas mileage, is reliable and is very little to no maintenance, and the maintenance is much cheaper overall, and I'm super happy with it.

I think the general rule of thumb is that every dollar you invest in your 20s, assuming you invest properly, will be about 60 when you're 60. So if you cheaped out and got a 10k car, invested the difference that's a lot of money. Also maintenance and insurance will eat you alive compared to a honda/toyota but to each their own

Honestly, I'd save at least half of that money, invest it (or put towards loans), and buy a new car come residency or late residency time.

I was lucky to get an awesome deal on a nice car, which I needed after my beater couldn't be saved right before med school. No loans for the car, had some money saved. I have barely been able to enjoy that car with school and residency, and at this point, its >10 yrs old and pieces are randomly falling off because I don't have the time to really take it anywhere worth the cost nor do I really have the time to do it myself. If I had taken some of that money and invested it, it would have more than doubled (maybe even tripled) and I would be able to buy a nice car now (or put it all to my loans).

I'd also second the buying a car you can maintain on the cheap at almost any shop.

I drive the same car now that I did in med school. and I drove it for years before med school. I got it used for 9k in like 2008. At this point, its almost comical. In any given parking lot, I easily have one of the oldest, crappiest ones there. I could upgrade from my junker anytime, but I like the character of it, I dont care about cars, and its sort of like an FU to people that think a doctor has to drive a certain standard of car lol

View attachment 325226View attachment 325227Graduated undergrad this year. 21yo. Working full time at a gap year job that’s paying ~50k/yr. So far this cycle I’ve thankfully gotten 2 acceptances so I’ll be starting school next year! Want to get a decent car for myself for around 20k and I’m stuck between a used Audi A6 or a used Camaro. Interested to see what input SDN may have.
Camaro.

Pretty sure a real Texan would be asking should I buy an F-150, Silverado or Ram?
A real Texan wouldn’t even have to ask ;)

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
The car will be bought cash so no car payment while I’m in school
Definitely helps with the math but it’s still a hell of a lot more expensive maintaining an Audi with premium gas and parts that cost a fortune, and when you buy used you’re gonna have issues sooner than you think. It’s a bit shortsighted. If you got a 10k car in cash instead of 20k that’s literally buying all your board exams, ERAS, and review materials easy. It’ll matter I promise you

I’d roll Camaro cuz of that but insurance and stuff still adds up. My wife had a nice used VW Tiguan and recently switched to a 2015 focus hybrid and were saving over 2 grand in gas alone much less other maintenance. It definitely matters

I think the general rule of thumb is that every dollar you invest in your 20s, assuming you invest properly, will be about 60 when you're 60. So if you cheaped out and got a 10k car, invested the difference that's a lot of money. Also maintenance and insurance will eat you alive compared to a honda/toyota but to each their own

Every dollar you invest will be about 10 dollars in 40 years.

Definitely helps with the math but it’s still a hell of a lot more expensive maintaining an Audi with premium gas and parts that cost a fortune, and when you buy used you’re gonna have issues sooner than you think. It’s a bit shortsighted. If you got a 10k car in cash instead of 20k that’s literally buying all your board exams, ERAS, and review materials easy. It’ll matter I promise you

I’d roll Camaro cuz of that but insurance and stuff still adds up. My wife had a nice used VW Tiguan and recently switched to a 2015 focus hybrid and were saving over 2 grand in gas alone much less other maintenance. It definitely matters
Had an Audi once. That thing cost a fortune to maintain. Then once the timing belt blew... the engine repair was more than the car was worth.

Reactions: 2 users
buying an expensive car is one of the worst financial decisions you can make as a 20 year old (other than developing a meth addiction i suppose).

Reactions: 11 users
A new Honda Civic or Corolla. Those will run without “any” real maintenance sinked cost.

Had a certified BMW. Sure the first year was fine. Then they will tell you straight up, you need to sink at least 2 grand a year to maintain it properly. When you’re a medical student and resident. That 2 grand a year is a non starter, really.

I'd pick the Camaro because Audi's can be expensive to maintain and that will be difficult on a med school loan budget.

Don't listen to people telling you to buy a super cheap car. The last thing you want to happen is to break down on the side of the road or have to get a new car during med school because you bought an old beater that broke down. Also, a fun car can really perk your day up with med school gets tough (if you're a car person like me which I assume you are). Ideally, any car you buy now will last you through medical school and at least part of the residency (depending on how long your residency is).

I'd pick the Camaro because Audi's can be expensive to maintain and that will be difficult on a med school loan budget.

Don't listen to people telling you to buy a super cheap car. The last thing you want to happen is to break down on the side of the road or have to get a new car during med school because you bought an old beater that broke down. Also, a fun car can really perk your day up with med school gets tough. Ideally, any car you buy now will last you through medical school and at least part of the residency (depending on how long your residency is).
I mean nobody is saying buy a piece of junk, but even a 15k car thats cheap to maintain or a decent 10k car can literally fund all of the things I mentioned before. Like I said, as a graduating fourth year this year, who has direct experience with a nice car that was premium to maintain, it just isn't worth it financially. All those German brands are super nice and great looking, but man they cost an insane amount to maintain and it adds up.

Get a "normal" car with some upgrades if you really feel the need to spend 20k on a car at age 21

Reactions: 3 users
Got a 2018 Subaru 1.5 years ago after my Altima transmission failed, 17k and now i have a reliable AWD car that will last me through the rest of med school and residency. Drives pretty nice too (feels faster than honda and toyota and actually cheaper)

I had an audi also and its MAD expensive to maintain. Fun as hell to drive, not good for the wallet. Not reliable either - broke down numerous times. Also, you have to use super gas not just regular unleaded.

Man seeing the apparent costs of maintenance of a car I'm glad I stick to my bike 😂

The more I read the less I want the Audi. But I don't think even Dave Ramsey himself could talk me out of at least getting the Camaro. Life is short and hard. I worked hard to get my acceptances, and I worked full time during the cycle, then secondaries, then interviews, to earn the money I plan to use for the car. Delayed gratification is going to be my close and dear friend for the foreseeable future so I want to get something I want while I can.

My entire net worth won't be tied up in the car, and I'll be starting school with a decent savings cushion regardless.

Reactions: 7 users
I mean nobody is saying buy a piece of junk, but even a 15k car thats cheap to maintain or a decent 10k car can literally fund all of the things I mentioned before. Like I said, as a graduating fourth year this year, who has direct experience with a nice car that was premium to maintain, it just isn't worth it financially. All those German brands are super nice and great looking, but man they cost an insane amount to maintain and it adds up.

Get a "normal" car with some upgrades if you really feel the need to spend 20k on a car at age 21

I agree that Audi's can be expensive to maintain but a brand new Camaro that will last for years isn't a bad plan. Any used car is going to need more maintenance than a new one and you never know how the previous owner treated the car. As someone who came into medical school with a $10k used car that died on me during clinical rotations, I definitely think that a new car is a solid plan for OP especially considering they are paying for the car in cash.

Last edited:
No, but any car has future maintenance. A relatively new or new car will last longer than a much older one given the same amount of care.
Tell that to my beater sitting in my driveway. Honda 4eva

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I agree that Audi's can be expensive to maintain but a brand new Camaro that will last for years isn't a bad plan. Any used car is going to need more maintenance than a new one and you never know how the previous owner treated the car. As someone who came into medical school with a $10k used car that died on me during clinical rotations, I definitely think that a new car is a solid plan for OP especially considering they are paying for the car in cash.
Hey my car was $500 11 years ago (A 2002), has 216,000 miles on it and costs less a maintain a year than my husband’s 2016 lolol

No, but any car has future maintenance. A relatively new or new car will last longer than a much older one given the same amount of care.
[/

For 20k a late model Honda or Nissan would be a better value in the long run than a luxury brand due to lower maintenance and fuel costs. Even a new car will need oil changes, tires after a few years and brake pads. Those can either be really expensive or reasonably priced.